PDA

View Full Version : Creative ways to "style" growing hair?

Nenwing
October 5th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I am not sure quite what to do with my hair, since it is growing but just looks straight and flat right now, yet looks odd with my bangs pulled back. Yeah....a lot of odd stages coming up.

Nenwing
October 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Here are some pics, yikes.

Just my plain bleh flat short hair!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Nenwing/DSCF5108.jpg

Attempting to use a headband:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Nenwing/DSCF5109.jpg

The back
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Nenwing/DSCF5105.jpg

Using little hair clippies:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Nenwing/DSCF5102.jpg

Nenwing
October 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Ah dang wrong forum! Sorry! I thought I was in the mane forum oops! :D

Lemur_Catta
October 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I think you are a very beautiful woman, and you will be even more beautiful with long hair :)
Unfortunately I don't know what you can do with your hair...but I think you would look fantastic with some bigger earrings! They would show off wonderfully since your hair don't cover your ears, and you could change them every day. This could be some fun for you when you wait for your hair to grow.

sally_neuf
October 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I think you look gorgeus! but, you are right, growing a pixie can be a headache, LOTS of akward stages.
Are you trying to grow your bangs as well?
The back is too short for an attempt of ponytail (I'll have to post one of my first ponytails, they were hilarious!)
but I think you can dutch-braid your bangs, like a crown. to keep my hair at the back of my ears, for example I did this morning a mini rope-braid (it looks so cute!)

But still, your hair is really short!, you can just go crazy and wax it, spike it, heck, I even did mohawks :P enjoy you pixie while it last! after all, we are kinda stuck with it :)

Nenwing
October 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks! Sorry I put this in the wrong board, mods feel free to move it!

It is gawky and awkward growing out, yeah I am growing the bangs out too.
I think I look rather like an awkward kid, rather than a young woman, and the hair for sure doesn't help right now! Eh well, it'll grow.

Maybe I could try dutch braiding my bangs, hehe that will look funny! It may be too short to do it though.

Anje
October 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately, as others have said, it's still a bit too short to have many longhair-style options. I like the little clippies, though. Depending on your style, you could get some cute ones in bright colors and just stick them all over some days.

Try the headband with the bangs still going more or less sideways instead of back. (If you're like I was when I grew my bangs, they're likely to start flipping straight up if you pull them back!) Or for now, wear headbands, but let the bangs stick out in front. It'll mostly be a decorative item, but there's nothing wrong with that.

ETA: You look young, but I don't think anyone will mistake you for a child. Unless you're about 4'10"... Go ahead and do "cutesy" sometimes, if it jives with your personality. Or if it doesn't, spike it some times, or slick it back, or whatnot.

squiggyflop
October 5th, 2009, 03:17 PM
hmmm well hove you tried those spring hair ornaments.. just swirl them in for instant glam..
weird that this thread is in the frendship board

Pegasus Marsters
October 5th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Can you attempt to flick it, Alice cullen style, and brush the front forward as a fringe? My hair freshly washed with no product kinda looks like yours, I'll bet you could style it with product, though you might need it thinned a bit.

Elphie
October 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=58

I've always liked this article for ideas on what to do with shorter hair while it's growing.
I think your hair looks very cute, btw!

Nenwing
October 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the link I will take a look at that! :)

LawyerGirl
October 5th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Styles I used a lot when my hair was that length were a deep side part, "bangs" sort of slicked back... or twists... three or four back toward the crown secured with bobbypins.

It's a painful stage but it does go away! Good luck!

Nenwing
October 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Lawyer Girl, do you mean the bangs themselves twisted back toward the back of the head and held there with pins, sort of like the braided cornrow look?

Another thing, I think my hair is too short for conditioner. I have used some, and it just makes all the hair go very limp and flat. Its best used for the hair ears and lower right?

friskybiznus
October 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I like your pics and the stuff you are doing. Very cute!

hmmm
October 6th, 2009, 05:49 AM
My hair is a bit longer than this now, and I never did anything to it when it was that short. Just enjoy the fact that you can get away with doing really, really little to it. Go to work without combing it, for instance. I did that all the time and people always asked me what product I had in my hair. Hilarious XD.

apynip
October 6th, 2009, 05:59 AM
not much to do right now really... trying to think what i did with my hair back in may... lets see.. head band bobby pins( take them out carefully...) you MIGHT beable to do a lil french braid and i mean lil just as an accent across the forehead. it normally looks cute.

BTW you will look gorgeous with long hair.

Happy growing! Awkward stages are the worst.

Madame J
October 6th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I never did much else with my pixie when I was growing it out than you do, but I wanted to help you feel better about feeling like an awkward kid. When I had my awkward, overgrown pixie haircut, I had more people ask me if I was a new professor than ever before. I'm a grad student! I mean, I know that most people err on the side of higher status (i.e., if you see someone you think is a grad student, you ask if they're a post-doctoral researcher), but even that makes me look older and more professional.

I would sometimes scrunch some of my husband's pomade through it to break up the flatness of it and give it more texture, but I have thick, straight, smooth hair, so it didn't do a whole lot. I also used wide headbands to give it a different look -- kinda a mix between a bandanna and a headband.

jesamyn
October 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Nenwing, I usually had to skip conditioner when I had a pixie too. I don't have many suggestions for styles, since my hair is very wavy, and I usually just did the messy look in the awkward stages. As someone else said, enjoy being able to get away with not doing anything to it. ;)

The twisted cornrows look is good too. I usually left some of my bangs out to give me some wispies around my face, but that's just because it suits my face and personality.

Nenwing
October 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Thank you for the help and suggestions! Yeah at this stage it is just kind of bear through it. I am wondering how to get through looking decent for a wedding coming up, maybe a nice headband.

pilateschick7
October 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I think going with headbands is super cut with a pixie cut.

I really like these. They might work really well for a wedding. Being silk they would be gentle on hair.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=27390457&ref=sr_gallery_1&&ga_search_query=silk+headbands&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=4&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

LawyerGirl
October 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Yes, sort of like cornrows... but not such a harsh look. If you twist instead of braid, the ends will poke out in a funky way. But then again, I wore a lot of makeup, so I don't know if the "funky" look is for everyone!

FWIW, I think your hair looks great... and very healthy! This stage will pass soon.

bunzfan
August 21st, 2010, 06:47 AM
I don't know if anyone else has thought of this but i found a great way to grow out your bangs/fringe. Still wear your hair up but with a two or three strand alice band i think it looks a bit roman look at my pictures of it

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6096&pictureid=79921

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6096&pictureid=79920

and from the back

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6096&pictureid=79922

leslissocool
August 21st, 2010, 07:10 AM
how about extensions? if your hair is more than 2" long, you can get clip on until your hair grows that length... there are not that expensive, and you can get some that are close to your natural hair color... i went through a heavy depression when moved from italy to the US, and i had 38" pitch black virgin (as in never dyed) thick hair and cut it just like 3 inches longer than yours... yeah, i regret it too... so i got extensions and matched them, i never did anything to them ( dry wash only, never wet them or colored them) just cut them the way you want to make it look natural... it worked like a charm...

i still have them, and my hair is now exactly the same length as them... it made me feel better...

also when you wash your hair, do a pre treatment: rub castor oil on your scalp only and leave it for an hour, then wash normally with shampoo and conditioner it gave me 2" a month on growth... i never trimmed my and it grew like weeds... and i took biotin too with my vitamins...

i hope it helps!