PDA

View Full Version : Yellow, Green Or In Between Hair?

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
HI!! Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with "yellowing" of their natural silver hair and if so, what works best for you to combat it? I have tried the "blue shampoos" (too many chemicals and bad smells) before but would like some ideas on natural products.

spidermom
October 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I have read that you can dissolve 4 aspirin in a quart of warm water and pour that slowly through your hair. However, I have no personal experience with this.

My hair has always been golden blonde, so if there are yellowish tones to my white/silver hairs, I can't see it.

Anje
October 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Too few silvers on me to worry about, but I have heard of people using a dilute solution with laundry bluing in it to combat the yellowing. I'm not sure if anyone here has tried it or what they thought of it.

Rinsing with something that chelates minerals, like citric acid, might also work over time, by removing the yellowing stuff, rather than countering the color. Similarly, if you have iron or something similar in your water, getting a shower filter or a water softener might prevent the color change. Again, though, that's more speculation on my part than any kind of informed statement.

Concerning hair coloring, were you using "ash-toned" colors? Those often have a greenish base to them to combat the gold and red tones that come through with warmer hair colors.

heatherdazy
October 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Are you heat styling? The most common cause of white hair yellowing is over-heating. Other possible causes include swimming, excessive sun exposure, and hard water.

Silver Strands
October 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I use Pantene Silver Expressions to remove yellowing.
It works very well, smells wonderful (it has jasmine in it), and the shampoo does not contain
cones if you are against those.
The conditioner does contain a cone but the set leaves my hair feeling so silky.

I personally think it helps remove hard water build up also.

As far as the greenish tinge, i've heard red counters it but don't have any advice for you.

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Are you heat styling? The most common cause of white hair yellowing is over-heating. Other possible causes include swimming, excessive sun exposure, and hard water.

No curling irons, flat irons or blow drying for me at all, only the diffuser occasionally to encourage my wavy/curly hair to curl more. I do, however, spend time in the sun and I suspect this could be a cause.

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Too few silvers on me to worry about, but I have heard of people using a dilute solution with laundry bluing in it to combat the yellowing. I'm not sure if anyone here has tried it or what they thought of it.

Rinsing with something that chelates minerals, like citric acid, might also work over time, by removing the yellowing stuff, rather than countering the color. Similarly, if you have iron or something similar in your water, getting a shower filter or a water softener might prevent the color change. Again, though, that's more speculation on my part than any kind of informed statement.

Concerning hair coloring, were you using "ash-toned" colors? Those often have a greenish base to them to combat the gold and red tones that come through with warmer hair colors.

I haven't coloured my hair since December 08, but when I did use hair dye I normally stayed in the dark golden blonde shades. I'm wondering if it isn't the build up of colour over time that leads to the "greenies."

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I have read that you can dissolve 4 aspirin in a quart of warm water and pour that slowly through your hair. However, I have no personal experience with this.

My hair has always been golden blonde, so if there are yellowish tones to my white/silver hairs, I can't see it.

Now that sounds very interesting spidermom......may have to experiment tonight!LOL!!

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=Anje;796629]Too few silvers on me to worry about, but I have heard of people using a dilute solution with laundry bluing in it to combat the yellowing. I'm not sure if anyone here has tried it or what they thought of it.

Another interesting thought! I have never heard of that before Anje, thanks!

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I use Pantene Silver Expressions to remove yellowing.
It works very well, smells wonderful (it has jasmine in it), and the shampoo does not contain
cones if you are against those.
The conditioner does contain a cone but the set leaves my hair feeling so silky.

I personally think it helps remove hard water build up also.

As far as the greenish tinge, i've heard red counters it but don't have any advice for you.

The only blue shampoo I have tried is Clairol Shimmering lights and it smells bad to me, I will try the Pantene (after the sniff test LOL!!)

LadyDi
October 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM
The only blue shampoo I have tried is Clairol Shimmering lights and it smells bad to me, I will try the Pantene (after the sniff test LOL!!)

I was going to try the Clairol too, but couldn't get past the smell, :( so I skipped it.

I haven't been able to find the Pantene in stores, so I'm using the Aveda Blue Malva instead. I really like it.

I also have a shower head filter.

Silver Strands
October 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I have found the Silver Expressions at Wal-Mart and a drug store. (Sorry, can't remember which)

You can go to the Pantene website, click on the item you're interested in and there is an option somewhere on there to find a store in your area that carries it.

Hope you find it. It is good stuff.

Edited to add:
P.S. I have a water softener that we fill with rust removing salt.
Even with that I will develop a yellowish cast to my silvers every few weeks.

Editing Part 2:
I just went to the Pantene website. Click on the item, hit the Buy Now button and it will
ask for your zipcode to find stores in your area.

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I was going to try the Clairol too, but couldn't get past the smell, :( so I skipped it.

I haven't been able to find the Pantene in stores, so I'm using the Aveda Blue Malva instead. I really like it.

Really? Have you tried the Beauty Supply stores? The shower head filter is definitely on my Home Depot shopping list! I only notice yellowing in my hair in certain lighting, outdoors in the sun it appears to look much better, go figure!LOL!!

LadyDi
October 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Really? Have you tried the Beauty Supply stores? The shower head filter is definitely on my Home Depot shopping list! I only notice yellowing in my hair in certain lighting, outdoors in the sun it appears to look much better, go figure!LOL!!

I know, I'm surprised I can't find it too! I've looked everywhere (Target, Wal-Mart, drug stores, beauty supply). They just carry the blonde-brunette-red varieties. I'm still looking though, because as much as I enjoy using the Aveda, it's too expensive to justify buying it again.

angelthadiva
October 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=Anje;796629]Too few silvers on me to worry about, but I have heard of people using a dilute solution with laundry bluing in it to combat the yellowing. I'm not sure if anyone here has tried it or what they thought of it.

Another interesting thought! I have never heard of that before Anje, thanks!

Luluj: There was a great discussion about this blueing agent in the Renegray thread a while ago. The blueing agent is called Mrs. Stewart's (http://www.mrsstewart.com/) It is very inexpensive and pretty easy to find in the laundry detergent isle. It goes quite far and works well for the wash as well.

I use this myself and it really brings the sparkle back to the silvers. :D

LadyDi
October 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Luluj: There was a great discussion about this blueing agent in the Renegray thread a while ago. The blueing agent is called Mrs. Stewart's (http://www.mrsstewart.com/)It is very inexpensive and pretty easy to find in the laundry detergent isle. It goes quite far and works well for the wash as well.

Oh, this sounds interesting. It's multi-purpose and inexpensive. I think I'll check it out next time I'm at the market.

Angelthadiva, when my hair grows up, I want it to look like yours!!! :thud::crush:

Kris Dove
October 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Have you tried Lush Daddy-O shampoo? I used to use this when I dyed my hair a lighter blonde to get rid of brassy tones.

heatherdazy
October 5th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Ftr, you would want VIOLET shampoo to combat yellow tones. Blue shampoo is meant for orange tones.

Silver Strands
October 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
The Pantene Silver Expressions is a purple shampoo not blue.

No cones and did I mention how great it smells?

angelthadiva
October 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Oh, this sounds interesting. It's multi-purpose and inexpensive. I think I'll check it out next time I'm at the market.

Angelthadiva, when my hair grows up, I want it to look like yours!!! :thud::crush:

I lurve this stuff!! You dilute in the laundry water and you also dilute when you use it in your hair. The stuff lasts forever and costs less than $4, I think less than $3!! Seriously, you only need a few drops.

LadyDi: You are a sweetie :flower:

GlassEyes
October 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Could it be from mineral buildup? I know that can yellow silver hair, and I think citric acid rinses are supposed to be helpful in that regard--can't be sure, as I don't have silver hair...yet. *grumble*

heatherdazy
October 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Could it be from mineral buildup? I know that can yellow silver hair, and I think citric acid rinses are supposed to be helpful in that regard--can't be sure, as I don't have silver hair...yet. *grumble*
Possibly. Hard water often causes that sort of thing. A malibu crystal gel treatment would tell you if it was in fact mineral buildup.

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE=luluj;796673]

Luluj: There was a great discussion about this blueing agent in the Renegray thread a while ago. The blueing agent is called Mrs. Stewart's (http://www.mrsstewart.com/) It is very inexpensive and pretty easy to find in the laundry detergent isle. It goes quite far and works well for the wash as well.

Thank you for this information! I wasn't aware of the discussion, it must have taken place before I joined the Renegrays.

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
OK, now this is very interesting. I recently visited a SEPHORA store while on a trip to Montreal. I purchased OJON shampoo, conditioner and the very pricey Restorative Treatment (in fact the shampoo and conditioner were also quite expensive.) It was a treat and a reward to myself because of the fact that I gave up hair dye to become natural and also to stop exposing myself to the toxic chemicals that are in most hair dyes. I used to spend an insane amount of money at hair salons so this purchase was pale in comparison to the "old colouring days!" BUT I read the insert that came with the Restorative Treatment and there in the fine print was a warning that it could cause temporary staining on white hair!! I plan to stop using this and see what happens. I wish I would have read the insert when I bought the treatment instead of throwing it in the bathroom drawer!

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
One more thing, I plan to wash my hair tonight with my Burt's Bees Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Shampoo ( good clarifying shampoo) and then follow up with a white vinegar rinse to see if this will remove some of the staining. Has anyone ever tried the vinegar rinse for clarifying?? Hopefully this will help. :pray:

Fractalsofhair
October 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
YES! Ojion will STAIN!!! It's a pretty strong coloring! It's about as strong as diluted manic panic to some hair types I've heard!

For natural shampoos, I'd suggest shampoo bars or alaffia(though Alaffia did make my hair slightly darker). Shampoo bars rock!

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Have you tried Lush Daddy-O shampoo? I used to use this when I dyed my hair a lighter blonde to get rid of brassy tones.

No I haven't tried Lush Daddy-O shampoo Kris Dove......where can you buy it?? I have heard that brightening products for blonde hair also works for silver hair. I am very interested in Lush Daddy-O.

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
YES! Ojion will STAIN!!! It's a pretty strong coloring! It's about as strong as diluted manic panic to some hair types I've heard!

For natural shampoos, I'd suggest shampoo bars or alaffia(though Alaffia did make my hair slightly darker). Shampoo bars rock!

It will??? Have you tried the Restorative Treatment? The leaflet said that the staining would be temporary, is this true, or could it be permanent??? WHAT is manic panic??

coppercurls
October 5th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Jhirmack makes a "silver brightening shampoo" too. I use it about once a month to keep my silvers sparkly.

Edited to add: I just saw that you have been using Ojon, and I have heard that it will "stain" lighter shades of hair too.

luluj
October 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Jhirmack makes a "silver brightening shampoo" too. I use it about once a month to keep my silvers sparkly.

Edited to add: I just saw that you have been using Ojon, and I have heard that it will "stain" lighter shades of hair too.

Thanks coppercurls, I am beginning to seriously think that the Ojon is the culprit, I only hope that it will fade away. In the meantime, it will stay in the cupboard until my grandaughter comes to visit, she has lovely, dark, thick curls and when she uses it her hair looks so shiny and beautiful and feels so soft. Thanks for your suggestion re the Jirmack shampoo!

Little_Bird
October 6th, 2009, 02:34 AM
You know, my grandfather has white (yes, I really mean WHITE) hair, with a golden streak above his forehead. People use to say it's from the smoke (he was a very hard smoker) and now he's stopped smoking and I really can't see the streak anymore...

But maybe it happens naturally? I always found it beautyfull and amusing tough, a mix of silver and gold :)

Ally<3
October 6th, 2009, 04:25 AM
For the yellow you need to conteract it with purple/violet (opposite on the color wheel). A good way to do it is to get on of those semi dyes (deposit only - no damage) in purple and to mix it with your existing conditioner. The good thing about this is, if you use too much or whatever, it just washes out after shampooing.

The reason that you are getting a green cast when dying your hair brown, is that you are not using what's called a "filler". A filler goes on before the brown dye and is usually a very bright orange colour. This is done to even out the porousity of the hair, so even colour, and most importantly, to add warmth the the colour. This is most often used on blondes, but it applies to silver hair as well. The cool colour of the blonde/silver (blue in usually the base of toners) mixes with the warmth of the dye (golden) and makes green (blue and yellow).

Both problems are easily fixed.

luluj
October 6th, 2009, 05:57 AM
For the yellow you need to conteract it with purple/violet (opposite on the color wheel). A good way to do it is to get on of those semi dyes (deposit only - no damage) in purple and to mix it with your existing conditioner. The good thing about this is, if you use too much or whatever, it just washes out after shampooing.

The reason that you are getting a green cast when dying your hair brown, is that you are not using what's called a "filler". A filler goes on before the brown dye and is usually a very bright orange colour. This is done to even out the porousity of the hair, so even colour, and most importantly, to add warmth the the colour. This is most often used on blondes, but it applies to silver hair as well. The cool colour of the blonde/silver (blue in usually the base of toners) mixes with the warmth of the dye (golden) and makes green (blue and yellow).

Wonderful information Ally, thanks so much! I learn something new every day here at TLHC.:idea: When you say semi dye do you mean the kind that says "will wash out in 10 to ?? shampoos?" For example......Herbal Essences Semi permanent???

luluj
October 6th, 2009, 06:04 AM
You know, my grandfather has white (yes, I really mean WHITE) hair, with a golden streak above his forehead. People use to say it's from the smoke (he was a very hard smoker) and now he's stopped smoking and I really can't see the streak anymore...

But maybe it happens naturally? I always found it beautyfull and amusing tough, a mix of silver and gold :)

Hello Little Bird, thanks for the response! You are absolutely correct, smoking heavily can turn silver or white hair yellow. I know a man who has a very yellow mustache from his two pack a day habit! Of course, his fingers and his teeth are also very discolored from the smoke, all good reasons to NOT smoke!:nono:

luluj
October 6th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I just had a thought regarding the staining that can happen with the OJON Restorative treatment. I suppose it "could" be a good choice for those who have dark hair and want to add a reddish tinge along with great conditioning and shine. The staining I have at the moment (hopefully in my case this "will" fade!) is definitely a reddish gold shade and while I would rather not have it, it doesn't look terrible. My hair is so soft and shiny, it is rather disappointing to have to give it up. One more question, for those of you who use henna, would you recommend it for blonde and silver shades??

Anje
October 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
One more question, for those of you who use henna, would you recommend it for blonde and silver shades??
Not if you want to keep the silvers! Henna on white hairs tends to make bright orange. It works pretty well with henna because they blend into the mix and look like highlights.

Heck, if you want the silvers, I'd recommend even avoiding cassia, which has a yellow tone to it.

luluj
October 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Not if you want to keep the silvers! Henna on white hairs tends to make bright orange. It works pretty well with henna because they blend into the mix and look like highlights.

Heck, if you want the silvers, I'd recommend even avoiding cassia, which has a yellow tone to it.

Hi Anje! Thanks for the response, I had a feeling that would be the case. I plan to stick to all natural hair, although there are "moments" when I feel like kicking it up a notch! I wish I could add highlights or even lowlights that would be all natural and (actually, really!) fade away over time leaving "no" root line.

heatherdazy
October 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM

I'm going to disagree with you on both counts here. Violet color, even mixed with conditioner could potentially be way too strong and give a purplish cast to the hair.

Filler is only necessary for hair that has been artificially lighted to white, not natural gray hair.

Ally<3
October 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Wonderful information Ally, thanks so much! I learn something new every day here at TLHC.:idea: When you say semi dye do you mean the kind that says "will wash out in 10 to ?? shampoos?" For example......Herbal Essences Semi permanent???

Semi permanent - a true semi, will have no developer or activator at all. It will be deposit only. If it has a developer (meaning 2 bottles to add together, instead of just one) but claims not to be permanent, it is a "demi" permanent. That developer is peroxide that lifts the hair's cuticle and lets the colour penetrate. Semi permanents rely on absorbtion only.

Wella's Color Touch line, which is demi permanent, is the best line for toners around, it adds amazing shine and has beautiful colours. It is a Professional product, but let me know if you want to know how to get it.

Oh and the Ojon Treatment will definirely stain your hair. Happened to me a little while back. It will give light hair a orange/brown tinge. Stay far away. :)

Ally<3
October 7th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I'm going to disagree with you on both counts here. Violet color, even mixed with conditioner could potentially be way too strong and give a purplish cast to the hair.

Filler is only necessary for hair that has been artificially lighted to white, not natural gray hair.

Adding violet to hair is the only way to counteract the yellow without lifting the hair.
http://www.sustland.umn.edu/design/images/colortechniques1.jpg
See the colour wheel, opposite colours will counteract each other. As I mentioned before, orange/red is the opposite of green, therefore you would use that colour to get rid of green.

The beauty of making your own conditioner as you can make it as intense or as subtle as you want. You can start off with just a touch of purple and see how it turns out. If it's still yellow you can add more, etc, etc. If you end up using too much, it washes out with shampoo.

There's thousands of reasons to use fillers like:
deposits color to faded ends and hair shaft
helps hair to hold hair color
prevents streaking & dull appearance
prevents off color results
produces more uniform, natural looking color in a tint
produces uniform color when doing a tint-backThey're most needed on completely blank canvases. Whether it be blonde or grey (which has no pigmentation whatsoever), when going darker, they are vital to add warmth, or it will result in a green overcast, as luluj has previously experienced when dying her grey hair darker. Doesn't really matter how you got to no-pigmentation, naturally or at the salon.

Flynn
October 7th, 2009, 01:47 AM
It will??? Have you tried the Restorative Treatment? The leaflet said that the staining would be temporary, is this true, or could it be permanent??? WHAT is manic panic??

Manic Panic is essentially glorified food dye. It's a vegetable-dye based temporary hair colour which comes in a range of wacky colours.

Linda K
October 7th, 2009, 02:07 AM

When I had my hair foiled to blond shades, I was told to use the Blue Malva by my hairdresser to control "brassiness". Nice product.
Also tried "Sexy Hair" from Trade Secrets - It's VIOLET. It was recommended to keep white hair white. I found it be drying.

Possibly. Hard water often causes that sort of thing. A malibu crystal gel treatment would tell you if it was in fact mineral buildup. I go pretty regularly for "Malibu treatments" to remove buildup from our well - water. Makes a big difference in the softness and drying time - hair loves it!

OK, now this is very interesting. I recently visited a SEPHORA store while on a trip to Montreal. I purchased OJON shampoo, conditioner and the very pricey Restorative Treatment (in fact the shampoo and conditioner were also quite expensive.) It was a treat and a reward to myself because of the fact that I gave up hair dye to become natural and also to stop exposing myself to the toxic chemicals that are in most hair dyes. I used to spend an insane amount of money at hair salons so this purchase was pale in comparison to the "old colouring days!" BUT I read the insert that came with the Restorative Treatment and there in the fine print was a warning that it could cause temporary staining on white hair!! I plan to stop using this and see what happens. I wish I would have read the insert when I bought the treatment instead of throwing it in the bathroom drawer!
Wow! I'm stunned! I've been using Ojon Ultra Hydrating since February. I have the Restorative as well - I don't use it like I should. I haven't noticed a color difference ... I do like "Carol's Daughter" Smoothie for a deep moisturizing conditioner. Also used just a couple times. I sure need to get into a regular habit of doing something tho!

luluj
October 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Semi permanent - a true semi, will have no developer or activator at all. It will be deposit only. If it has a developer (meaning 2 bottles to add together, instead of just one) but claims not to be permanent, it is a "demi" permanent. That developer is peroxide that lifts the hair's cuticle and lets the colour penetrate. Semi permanents rely on absorbtion only.

Wella's Color Touch line, which is demi permanent, is the best line for toners around, it adds amazing shine and has beautiful colours. It is a Professional product, but let me know if you want to know how to get it.

Oh and the Ojon Treatment will definirely stain your hair. Happened to me a little while back. It will give light hair a orange/brown tinge. Stay far away. :)

Ally, thanks for all of you wonderful feedback, I appreciate it so much!! You are a fountain of information! I am almost certain that the Ojon Restorative Treatment is the culprit here, I only hope that it is "temporary" like the enclosed leaflet stated. I haven't used it in a while, yet the staining is still visible, so I am not so sure. Now I am wondering if the Ojon shampoo and conditioner can deposit stain also, although it doesn't say so on the bottles. Still, I am not going to use any of it for now. Again THANKS so much.......your colour wheel is wonderful!

luluj
October 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
When I had my hair foiled to blond shades, I was told to use the Blue Malva by my hairdresser to control "brassiness". Nice product.
Also tried "Sexy Hair" from Trade Secrets - It's VIOLET. It was recommended to keep white hair white. I found it be drying.
I go pretty regularly for "Malibu treatments" to remove buildup from our well - water. Makes a big difference in the softness and drying time - hair loves it!

Wow! I'm stunned! I've been using Ojon Ultra Hydrating since February. I have the Restorative as well - I don't use it like I should. I haven't noticed a color difference ... I do like "Carol's Daughter" Smoothie for a deep moisturizing conditioner. Also used just a couple times. I sure need to get into a regular habit of doing something tho!

Hello Linda, I just left a message for you on your profile page in regard to the OJON products LOL!! I guess I should have come here first. Thanks for your response!

Linda K
October 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
:) Same here! Seriously, if I were you, I'd check w/ a local salon about having a Malibu Treatment and see what happens.

I just Googled it and came up w/ some links I didn't expect. One that was less than positive about Malibu. In my experience - It was the best thing since bubble gum for my hair. We have 40 grain hardness - use a water softener + I have a shower filter. Getting the Malibu monthly gave really great results. My hair was softer, the color "brightened" (I didn't have the orange people talk about) and it dried much quicker. I haven't kept up w/ it at 4 week intervals since May and seem to have more velcro-y ends. It's $15-$20 for my length in small town USA. One of the links mentioned the Wal-Mart salons but be sure to specifiy the Crystal Gel Treatment for Well Water - Not cholorine for $10.

This link: http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/09/28/beauty-q-a-does-malibu-treatment-remove-hard-water-and-rust-stains-from-hair appears to be the worst one. For example - they argue Malibu's claim well water stops hair growth. The growth "appears" to stop because it's breaking off. I have no comment on the pore clogging part ... I highly recommend this treatment at the salon. I never got past my shoulders before coming here and discovering the Malibu (all at the same time).

At this time I'm waffling between trying the Catnip treatment or
doing a clear glaze to "seal" the cuticle as gray tends to be more dry than pigmented hair (see Going Gray Looking Good book).

Here's a link to the Malibu products: http://www.hard-water-well-water.com/well-water-solutions.htm They have an original formula and one specifically for White/gray hair. When I used to have perms, I had the purple run off - but not the orange hair. Our area has more manganese (black junk) along with rust. The Malibu leaves the hair in better condition than just pouring some perm solution on it as suggested in the one link I looked at.

Then give Ojon another chance before deciding if the 'poo and conditioner are the culprits. (The yellow in my siggy pic - comes from having the light on rather than window light - rainy days ...) :)

luluj
October 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks so much for the links Linda, I will most certainly look into the Malibu Treatment. I just finished shampooing and doing a warm vinegar/water rinse, hopefully this will help a bit. I'll know better once it dries!

LadyDi
October 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the info Linda K. I do have brassiness on my dyed length, so I guess the Blue Malva should help with that. Don't know what I'll do when I have a significant amount of silvers. I guess I will have to alternate with the blue and violet shampoos!!! :confused:

LadyDi
October 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Adding violet to hair is the only way to counteract the yellow without lifting the hair.
http://www.sustland.umn.edu/design/images/colortechniques1.jpg
See the colour wheel, opposite colours will counteract each other. As I mentioned before, orange/red is the opposite of green, therefore you would use that colour to get rid of green.

The beauty of making your own conditioner as you can make it as intense or as subtle as you want. You can start off with just a touch of purple and see how it turns out. If it's still yellow you can add more, etc, etc. If you end up using too much, it washes out with shampoo.

Thanks Ally<3 for the color wheel, that's great information. :)

Linda K
October 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Luluj - forgot to mention - the Mrs Stewart Bluing -
You only need a few drops in a "quart"(?) of water. I think it was start with 5-10 and see what happens from there.

Another lady I met at the drugstore once said she just dumps some of her purple 'poo into her regular and uses it all the time ...

Elenna
October 8th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Have you tried citric acid as a rinse to counteract yellowing. You'd think that citric acid would be easy to find in the stores. It's not. I buy mine from Mount Rose Herbs. This keeps my silvers sparkling. :cool:

Could the green be from chlorine? :D

Ally<3
October 8th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Ally, thanks for all of you wonderful feedback, I appreciate it so much!! You are a fountain of information! I am almost certain that the Ojon Restorative Treatment is the culprit here, I only hope that it is "temporary" like the enclosed leaflet stated. I haven't used it in a while, yet the staining is still visible, so I am not so sure. Now I am wondering if the Ojon shampoo and conditioner can deposit stain also, although it doesn't say so on the bottles. Still, I am not going to use any of it for now. Again THANKS so much.......your colour wheel is wonderful!

When I used the Ojon Restorative Treatment I was lightening my hair from dark brown dye, and once it was lightened it would darken again and I couldn't figure out why. Not knowing it was the Ojon and not remainents of hair dye, I got mine out with bleach! :doh: I'm still using the shampoo though, and did when I had platinum hair as well and didn't see any effect. I don't use conditioner though (I just use treatments) so I can't give any feedback on that, unfortunately. But I do know it's yellow... hmm.

You're most welcome hon, glad I could help somewhat. :)

Ally<3
October 8th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks Ally<3 for the color wheel, that's great information. :)

You're welcome. Happy I could help!

luluj
October 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Have you tried citric acid as a rinse to counteract yellowing. You'd think that citric acid would be easy to find in the stores. It's not. I buy mine from Mount Rose Herbs. This keeps my silvers sparkling. :cool:

Could the green be from chlorine? :D

No I haven't tried citric acid Elenna, but if it makes silvers sparkle then I'm "in!" Thanks, there is a wealth of information and advice here at TLHC and I am so happy that I heard about this site! Chlorine is not the culprit, this the "one" (and only LOL!!) thing that I "am" sure of!:laugh:

luluj
October 8th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Luluj - forgot to mention - the Mrs Stewart Bluing -
You only need a few drops in a "quart"(?) of water. I think it was start with 5-10 and see what happens from there.

Another lady I met at the drugstore once said she just dumps some of her purple 'poo into her regular and uses it all the time ...

Hello Linda! Hmmm.....:confused: I have not heard of Mrs. Stewart Bluing, although I am assuming that it is a laundry product???? It is not something that I have ever noticed in the supermarkets here in Canada.

luluj
November 5th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I have finally managed to do away with the staining on my hair (silver strands) and I am sure it is due to my twice a week white vinegar and water rinses. The OJON Restorative Treatment certainly WAS the culprit, so if you do use it keep in mind that it can cause staining (temporary) on white or very light hair. It did take quite some time to remove the staining.

natorade
November 5th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Are you around cigarette smoke alot? I have been told that smoke from cigarettes can cause blonde hair to turn yellow.

luluj
November 6th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Are you around cigarette smoke alot? I have been told that smoke from cigarettes can cause blonde hair to turn yellow.

No, not all natorade, we are a family of non-smokers and not one of our close friends has the habit either. You are definitely right about cigarette smoke causing yellowing though. I can't tell you how many men I have noticed with white facial hair that is stained yellow from cigarette smoke, very "icky" indeed!:disgust:

SurprisingWoman
November 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I haven't had a problem with yellowing (knock on wood) but I am bookmarking this thread. What a font of info LHC is!

luluj
April 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Hello, just thought I should update my thread. It turns out that the staining I had was indeed caused by the "OJON Restorative Treatment" that I purchased last August 2009. There actually was a "clause" in the enclosed brochure which stated that the treatment could possibly cause "temporary" staining on white or very light hair. Now I know it says "temporary" but indeed it was permanent on my hair. I had just had my hair cropped off to get rid of hair dye, so it was all natural with quite a bit of silver, no yellowing at all. My hair has grown quite a bit since and I still have some staining on the ends, although hardly noticeable now. I am convinced that my twice weekly white vinegar and water rinses helped to eliminate much of the staining.;) Morale of my story...."always" read the enclosed brochures before adding any product to your hair and "always" do the recommended skin tests before applying hair dye (or any color product) to your head........but, of course, that's a whole other thread!!:blossom:

Tabitha
April 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM
That's interesting ... I have a few random silvers that I feel look rather untidy, not enough to form even an impressive cool skunk stripe :tbear:

Maybe Ojon is the answer to cover them? I did try a sample that a friend gave me and found the smell extremely offputting but if it was a solution to my sparkling white hairs I might be persuaded to put up with it.

I wonder how long it would need to be left on for maximum effect? :ponder: Could I bear to spend a whole night with that on my head?

luluj
April 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM
It's worth a try Tabitha! I agree, the scent is not for everyone, some people love it some people detest it. The scent of the shampoo and conditioner are much less intense. I have to admit that the Restorative Treatment left my hair in wonderful condition .... very supple and shiny, however, I had come so far in my journey to "embrace" my silvers that it was disappointing to have them stained. If you go back and re-read some of the comments in this thread, there was I "think"....(I'll go and check) some reference made to what you are considering.

luluj
April 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Hello Tabitha.....this is what I found, it may interest you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally<3

Oh and the Ojon Treatment will definirely stain your hair. Happened to me a little while back. It will give light hair a orange/brown tinge. Stay far away.