PDA

View Full Version : People are always picking hairs off of me!!!

Curlsgirl
October 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Does anyone else get this? I try to get all the shed hairs out by brushing with my Denman every time I wash but there are still a lot of times when people feel the urge to tell me I have hairs "all over my back or butt or whatever" :mad: I know they are trying to help but it is usually like TWO hairs, just looks like a lot more because it's long and blonde. This is especially true when I wear black which I often do. I guess it's just another long hair thing you have to live with. Just wanted to vent I guess. I do wear my hair down a lot especially in the winter for warmth. But I am not going to stop that just because of this!

SHELIAANN1969
October 5th, 2009, 07:42 AM
That's funny you mention this, just yesterday I noticed several hairs on my grandmas sweater, but I resisted the urge to pick them off. :D

akevita2002
October 5th, 2009, 07:44 AM
It happens to me also, but rarely, and I don't have very long hair anyway.. Mostly my friends or family do this, so I don't mind it very much.

I remember when I was younger and had longer hair how a stranger run her fingers through my hair and when I turned she shew me how many hairs I shed. She had to mention that I HAVE to go to the doctor, otherwise all my hair will fall off. It was a little scary :confused: Thankfully her predictions didn't come to reality :D

Carolyn
October 5th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I get this all the time too. Being blonde and having 2 golden retrievers makes for a lot of shed hair at my house. I wear black a lot of the time too. I just slap their hands away. I think it's terribly rude to pick something off someone else.

Curlsgirl
October 5th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I LOVE goldens!!! I have a friend who works in Golden Retriever rescue. If I could have a dog that is the only kind I would have! :love:

Oh and back to the convo at hand, thanks I think it's rude too! And yes family I don't really mind. It's just when they say, "You have hair ALL OVER your back" like it's a disease and it's like 2 hairs well good grief! :mad: Can you tell this strikes a nerve? LOL

sally_neuf
October 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I'm so guilty!! I just can't resist to pick up shedded hair on clothes!

BUT, I do it only with my sister. I don't go around picking strangers hairs

GlassEyes
October 5th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Honestly, if I knew them, I'd appreciate it more than resent them for it. :shrug: I don't want to walk around with a giant curly hair on my back. :p Luckily, my hair is dark and most of my clothes are too, so I've only had it happen a few times. Plus, if my hair is down, I don't shed too much--the rest of my hair holds them in, and if it's up, they don't show up too often anyway.

camirra555
October 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM
This actually hasn't really happened to me. Somehow my hair always finds it's way into my boyfriend's beard. His beard isn't even long it's not even a centimeter long but I always see my curly hairs hanging from his bear so I pick them off.

jesamyn
October 5th, 2009, 08:23 AM
The only people who have actually picked hair off of me are my mother and sister, and one or two very close friends. It never felt like an intrusion with any of these people and wasn't a big deal to me. Anyone else has only mentioned hair to me, not actually picked it off.

Rohele
October 5th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I don't really have hairs sticking to me very often - I try to comb it fairly well and catch them in the sink each morning because my husband detests finding shed hairs everywhere (I know it's not really an option for curlies).

I did have a humungous shed in my teens where I would find my back literally coated tons of hairs by the end of the day (shudder). No one picked them off then either (I'm not really approachable I guess), but people would tell me "um, you have a hairy back."

embee
October 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I have a friend who sheds all the time. She bleaches, perms, blowfries... Her clothes have *many* shed hairs on them, even though she starts out the mornings pretty shed-free. She also finger-combs frequently, and usually gets half a dozen hairs every time - and they fall whereever - on her clothes, on the table, on the floor. Makes me think "ick".

I gave up long ago trying to pick the hairs off her clothing. It was hopeless.... like a Golden Retriever! ;)

feb26
October 5th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I get this too (am dark dark brunette) and thankfully only family do it. I agree: longer hair sheds more!
The only time I've had a stranger touch my hair was an old woman at the bus stop one day: she reached out and stroked it before I knew how to react!

pepperminttea
October 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm a bit terrible for doing this - but I'd never do it to a stranger, only people who know my little eccentricities enough to not mind. :)

Yozhik
October 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Once I had someone tell me I had "hairy boobs" -- I was horrified and looked down, only to see a hair from my head lying half-way out of the top of my tank top! Thanks a lot for the scare :|
My hair mostly likes to get caught inside of my shirts for some reason, then I look like a fool for reaching inside my top and picking it out!

ambychelle
October 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I shed a ton and this doesn't happen to me. I must be unapproachable too.

But I do find hairs in the strangest places.. like in the fridge. And when I get my daughters footie pajamas out of the dryer to fold clothes, there's always a dozen hairs stuck to them. I swear when she outgrows these, I'm going to cut it up and make swiffer pads out of them because they seem to attract ling and hair SO well.

I just unpacked our Halloween stuff to decroate and I found both daughter's costumes from last year. I made them tan fleece body suits because they were our cats jojo and jerry. I was remembering how adorable they were and saw one of my hairs so I picked it off... then another.. and another.. When I finally removed all the hairs, it was over a dozen of my hairs from a year ago. Honestly, my kids were hardly around me that evening because I was too busy taking pictures and they were too busy heading in a direction opposite of me. How did SO many of my hairs end up stuck to their costumes?

Shiva
October 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM
People are always picking hairs off of me!!!
I think this is a sign of affection kinda. At least it is in the pc game The Sims.

:o

Monkeys groom each other, too, so I think there's gotta be something positive about it.

SHELIAANN1969
October 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Once I had someone tell me I had "hairy boobs" -- I was horrified and looked down, only to see a hair from my head lying half-way out of the top of my tank top! Thanks a lot for the scare :|
My hair mostly likes to get caught inside of my shirts for some reason, then I look like a fool for reaching inside my top and picking it out!

Ok this literally had me cracking up, haha, omg I am such a 12 year old at heart!

I always find my own hairs all over me and everywhere else, I have curly hair and they form S shapes, I always tell people, *oh look, I can tell this is my hair, its has an *S* for Shelia! ;)

fluffybunny
October 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I notice some clothes hold shed hair more than others. I quit wearing polar fleece because it acts like a hair magnet. It's not just the texture that grabs the hairs-- it also always seems to have a static charge so that the hairs can't even be brushed off, they have to be pulled away from it one by one. I hate shed hairs!

spidermom
October 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I have NEVER had anyone do this to me other than my DD.

Newniepg
October 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
This happens to me too, even though I wear my hair up nearly all of the time! The odd thing is, they turn up in the weirdest of places!

SHELIAANN1969
October 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I notice some clothes hold shed hair more than others. I quit wearing polar fleece because it acts like a hair magnet. It's not just the texture that grabs the hairs-- it also always seems to have a static charge so that the hairs can't even be brushed off, they have to be pulled away from it one by one. I hate shed hairs!

Oh man, I loathe fleece, my hair always gets staticky AND I constantly shock myself, ouch, I hate that.

My gran asked me yesterday if I liked those *Snuggly* blankets (as seen on tv) I said Oh no way, I hate fleece, then I realized she was gonna make me one. :( I felt bad but, no since making something I can't use or wear.

It's truly shocking for me! :(

Curlsgirl
October 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I always find my own hairs all over me and everywhere else, I have curly hair and they form S shapes, I always tell people, *oh look, I can tell this is my hair, its has an *S* for Shelia! ;)

Oh I could do this too since my name is Sharon! Hee hee!

Okay let me clarify, it's not really strangers just mostly people I know I guess at work and at church. I know they are trying to help. Maybe it's just that I am a little cranky lately. :o

friskybiznus
October 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
This actually hasn't really happened to me. Somehow my hair always finds it's way into my boyfriend's beard. His beard isn't even long it's not even a centimeter long but I always see my curly hairs hanging from his bear so I pick them off.

LOL! My hubby gets my hair stuck in his beard too! :D

Chromis
October 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I think this is a sign of affection kinda. At least it is in the pc game The Sims.

:o

Monkeys groom each other, too, so I think there's gotta be something positive about it.

I'm guilty of similar things. I pick off loose threads, fix errant collars and flipped tags. Always with asking first though unless it is a very good friend who has already said they don't mind. It's an ex-military thing for me, I'm used to looking out for people's uniforms so they don't get in trouble!

BranwenWolf
October 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
My mom is OCD about hair- she goes nuts over dog hair and my hair and is always picking them off. When she started pulling them off the ends I yelled at her.

I really couldn't care less about loose hairs. (unless they're pubes or something) I guess it's from working with animals so much.

dearladydisdain
October 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Ugh, yeah. People find my hairs everywhere. My boyfriend finds them in obnoxious places. :o

BranwenWolf
October 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Er- yeah... transplant "crack" hairs aren't pleasant, especially when you notice one in the middle of a lecture or something where going after it wouldn't be socially acceptable.:p

I just don't really freak out over them on the floors or furniture. If I find one on my clothes I'll remove it but it's not the end of the world.
Strangers are not allowed to touch me, hair or otherwise.

LittleOrca
October 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
While I love my long hair, I just hate to see hair end up in food. This is why when I see long hair on someone I know (family, friends) I will pick the hairs off them, especially if I know we will be eating together later. One hair in my food and I auto-gag, usually ending in emptying my tummy, and then I can't bring myself to eat for a good 30 minutes. :)

I'd never do it to a stranger or someone I didn't know well. Thought I have wanted to many times.

heatherdazy
October 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Me, too! Honestly, I wish people would just leave me alone about that sort of thing sometimes. I once had a coworker that was really bad about that, and when I first got side bangs, I would sometimes get mascara in them and she would always tell me, even though nothing could be done about it.

Hay22
October 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM
This happens to me all the time because my hair sheds so much that I'm surprised I'm not bald. At work we all shed a lot and all of my coworkers will randomly pick hair off of me/each other. It's funny, though... only six people work in our office, but a few days after our vacuum day, you can always spot hair tumbleweeds floating throughout the tiled rooms.

I'd rather someone pick the hair off, as long as I know them. I wouldn't want to walk around with hair stuck all over me, just like I wouldn't want to spend a day with lipstick on my teeth.

paintedmuse
October 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM
A good friend has that habit... But she does it all the time, to everyone (even strangers). If she sees a shed hair, she just has to remove it. It's fun to watch her stand behind a stranger, trying to take the hair off without that person noticing :D

Shastrix
October 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I once had a creepy old lady pull a hair off my jumper. She announced what she had done and said that it was good luck, for her I assume?

shudder:

rogue_psyche
October 5th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I mind, but mostly because I get embarrassed, even though I cant control when my hair sheds. I don't have the "shed hair is gross" reaction at at all, but I know a lot of people do so it makes me nervous when people pick hairs off me. It makes me so angry when DBF gets huffy about places where my hair ends up. I go, "Fine, I'll just CHOP it off..." which usually shuts him up.

The worst is when a shed hair ends up in my food. I know it's mine, but it looks weird when people pick hair out of food and then continue eating.

Shastrix
October 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The worst is when a shed hair ends up in my food. I know it's mine, but it looks weird when people pick hair out of food and then continue eating.

I was very proud a few days ago when I found a hair in my food then realised that, not only was it mine, it was still attached! :laugh:

Calista
October 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
IMO shed hairs make one look ungroomed. That is one reason why I always wear my hair up.

viking_quest
October 5th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I pick shed hairs off of my friends if it's flying and stuck to their shirt. I just don't mention it because it's kind of weird. I always have shed hairs stuck to my clothes so I don't mind if someone picks them off.

windinherhair
October 5th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I usually don't have any loose hairs on me. At least I have never noticed that and no one has mentioned it to me. What is annoying is how many hairs I leave behind. I haven't visited my father-in-law in over a year and he still finds my hairs. :D And he is good about cleaning too, so I don't know how they keep showing up. :p

xgwyllgix
October 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I don't think I've ever had anyone not related to me pick hairs off of me. (Pet me, sure, but not pick at me.) But, then, my hair is dark and my clothes are usually dark, so they're harder to see. This may change as Fall gets into full swing and I'm wearing my white coat more often, though I hope not!

My biggest beef with shed hairs is at work. I rarely wear my hair down there because my chair is a hair-magnet, and I'll wind up with a ton of hairs tangled on the back and seat of it. I end up leaving rolled balls of hair in the garbage when that happens. Yuck.