PDA

View Full Version : How Much Protein is Too Much Protein?

Ally<3
October 4th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone. I searched the boards for this topic but didn't really find what I was looking for. Hit me with a link if I missed it.

Basically wanted to know how much protein everyone uses on their hair. I'm a little weary of protein because overuse is known to make hair brittle and dry. I just re-read my ingredients list on my shampoo and it actually contains protein! I'm doing my usual protein treatment at the moment (Redken All Soft) but never do it more than twice a month, usually. Is it possible to leave a protein treatment on too long?

I try to balance moisture with protein, as well, and I use oil. Is this the right thing to be using?

Thanks in advance

~GypsyCurls~
October 4th, 2009, 08:19 PM
It can be different for everyone, you just have to pay attention to the way your hair feels. It helps to do a moisture treatment immediately following a protein treatment.

Tinose
October 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM
It seems like the finer your hair is, the easier it is to overdose. But there's no single formula saying this is as much as you can put on and no more. And moisturizing in tandem with protein seems like it's what you should be doing, yeah. If your hair's doing fine, then it's okay! If not, do something else. Which can be applied to most things, really.

heatherdazy
October 4th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Redken All Soft has very little protein compared to moisture. I'm not really a fan of the product, but if it's been working well for you, why change?

Ally<3
October 5th, 2009, 12:10 AM
It can be different for everyone, you just have to pay attention to the way your hair feels. It helps to do a moisture treatment immediately following a protein treatment.

Yes I have heard this. I am unfortunately out of oil at the moment so could not do this. I have no idea what to put in it for moisture. I'm also out of my favourite treatment as I am (unpatiently) waiting for it to come in the mail. :o

Ally<3
October 5th, 2009, 12:12 AM
It seems like the finer your hair is, the easier it is to overdose. But there's no single formula saying this is as much as you can put on and no more. And moisturizing in tandem with protein seems like it's what you should be doing, yeah. If your hair's doing fine, then it's okay! If not, do something else. Which can be applied to most things, really.

My hair's not doing fine.:( My new growth is lovely but the rest is fluffy, frizzy and dry. Makes me want to trim, but I want my oil to come in the mail so I can reassess.

Ally<3
October 5th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Redken All Soft has very little protein compared to moisture.

This is actually good news for me! Seeing as my shampoo has protein in it... and who knows what else. *Rumages through product cupboard*

ravenreed
October 5th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I have somewhat coarse, color-treated hair. One might think it would be okay with some protein, but the truth is, any protein makes the ends freak out. It really depends on what your hair tells you it needs.

rogue_psyche
October 5th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I'm growing out peroxide, but my hair likes protein on a weekly or sometimes bi-weekly basis. After using my K-Pak knockoff my hair is slightly smoother and less frizzy. This also happens after a henna. I always (well post LHC) follow protein with a moisturizing conditioner.

I'm not saying your situation will be exactly like mine, but just as there are people whose hair hates protein, there are others whose hair likes it. Pay attention to your hair and eventually you will figure out what it wants.

ETA: If you want a recommendation for a good moisture-only, the Sally's knockoff of Biolage Conditioning Balm is what I use, and it has yet to fail me. I consider it a two-in one because I use it as a leave-in on my ends. Here's a link to where you can buy it online. http://www.sallybeauty.com/Conditioning-Balm/SBS-264074,default,pd.html

hmmruka
October 5th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I personally don't like to use any protein in my hair. I only use products that add moisture.

Anje
October 5th, 2009, 06:46 AM
As others have said, how much protein to use really varies by the person. It makes my hair feel rough and grabby when I've used a bit too much.

What to do for moisture? Usually, you can just let is soak in conditioner with a shower cap on your head for a good long time. SMTs are great, too. Oil doesn't usually make a very good moisture treatment -- when people say that hair needs moisture, think more along the lines of water, conditioner, or lotion.

Canarygirl
October 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I read on the naturallycurly.com web forum that hair that is going to do well with protein can be predicted by hair type. If I remember correctly fine hair does better than course hair, and fine porous hair likes protein the most. I have that type of hair and my hair likes keratin protein but not every kind of protein.

Madame J
October 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Yes I have heard this. I am unfortunately out of oil at the moment so could not do this. I have no idea what to put in it for moisture. I'm also out of my favourite treatment as I am (unpatiently) waiting for it to come in the mail. :o

Oil does not add moisture, but keeps that which is already there. To add moisture, try to find a conditioner that is called "moisturizing," but does not contain protein. There is a "Protein-free list" stickied to the top of this forum. Natural ingredients that moisturize include honey and aloe. You can definitely add moisture before your oil comes.

Please, if anyone knows any other specific moisturizing ingredients, please add them!

JamieRose
October 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Oil does not add moisture, but keeps that which is already there. To add moisture, try to find a conditioner that is called "moisturizing," but does not contain protein. There is a "Protein-free list" stickied to the top of this forum. Natural ingredients that moisturize include honey and aloe. You can definitely add moisture before your oil comes.

Please, if anyone knows any other specific moisturizing ingredients, please add them!

Glycerin and molasses, I believe...

juliaxena
October 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I read on the naturallycurly.com web forum that hair that is going to do well with protein can be predicted by hair type. If I remember correctly fine hair does better than course hair, and fine porous hair likes protein the most. I have that type of hair and my hair likes keratin protein but not every kind of protein.

I have fine hair and it hates protein.:confused:

Canarygirl
October 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I have fine hair and it hates protein.:confused:

so much for the theory! :)

Anje
October 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yep, my fine hair also dislikes protein. I can manage a small amount for a short time (like Cure Care conditioner), but I haven't been able to get through my one normal-sized bottle yet because my hair gets too protein-y.