PDA

View Full Version : Blowfryers are evil!

Thinthondiel
October 4th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Today I had to blowdry my hair because I had to shower shortly before I went to my cousin's birthday party (I had planned on showering earlier, but then my sister and her family visited). The blowdryer tried to eat my hair! And partially succeeded. Part of my hair got sucked into the thing through the tiny holes in the back, and got caught in the fan! shudder: The hairs were unsalvageable. I'm never going to use a blowdryer again.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Mutinous
October 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Not to me, but I have heard of this happening.

Sorry hun :(

Speckla
October 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I haven't had that happen but I have burned off a large chunk of my bangs.

squiggyflop
October 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
yes this has happened to me before.. scared the hell out of me

clairenewcastle
October 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM
This happened to me me in my childhood and absolutely terrified me. Gave up using hairdryers when I was 15 - although that wasn't the reason why.

Syaoransbear
October 4th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Never happened to me, but I don't think a blowdryer should ever be that close to your hair for it to happen.

BlndeInDisguise
October 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Yes, it has happened to me, and it's a horrifying experience! I only use them in emergencies, and when I do, I use them on cool, and keep it away from my hair so it doesn't get sucked up into it.

Rohele
October 4th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Yes this has happened to me several times, with one particular blowdryer - it had lost some sort of protective screen on the back (that kept hair from being sucked through) but I continued to use it anyway.

pineapples
October 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Nope never happened, but I could see it happening. I never blow dry so I don't have one anymore (and now don't think I ever will again):tmi:

GlassEyes
October 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I don't really care if people use them or not--but I hate the bloody things. I know I've said I hate the flatiron, but I REALLY hate blow dryers. @_@ They make my hair go 'BOOM', and beyond that, are just a pain in the butt to use. I don't consider myself THAT weak, but holding one up for a while makes me tired.

Just not worth it for me. xD;

Thinthondiel
October 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Yes, it has happened to me, and it's a horrifying experience! I only use them in emergencies, and when I do, I use them on cool, and keep it away from my hair so it doesn't get sucked up into it.

Yes, I did use it on cool, and if I had known my hair could get sucked into it, I certainly would have kept it further away from my hair!

Thinthondiel
October 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I don't really care if people use them or not--but I hate the bloody things. I know I've said I hate the flatiron, but I REALLY hate blow dryers. @_@ They make my hair go 'BOOM', and beyond that, are just a pain in the butt to use. I don't consider myself THAT weak, but holding one up for a while makes me tired.

Just not worth it for me. xD;

Blow-dryers used to make my hair go 'BOOM' as well, but apparently that's not the case anymore now that I've gone WO. I actually didn't know that until today - this is the only time I've blowdried in the five months I've been doing WO.

spidermom
October 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Nope - never had that happwn. I've read about it happening on LHC though. In fact, I think the thread title for that incident is about the same as your thread.

Thinthondiel
October 4th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Nope - never had that happwn. I've read about it happening on LHC though. In fact, I think the thread title for that incident is about the same as your thread.

Lol! Well, I guess that declaring blowfryers evil is a natural response when one of them has just tried to slurp up your hair like spaghetti. :p

fluffybunny
October 4th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yes, that's happened. Not only were the hairs trapped but they burned, filling the air with that horrifying burnt hair smell. I don't even own one of the evil things anymore.

longhairedfairy
October 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM
A few times, but it was no big deal because it never got enough of my hair to be much of a problem, so I just hold it far enough away when I do use one.

katydid317
October 4th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Yes, that's happened. Not only were the hairs trapped but they burned, filling the air with that horrifying burnt hair smell. I don't even own one of the evil things anymore.

I had a friend that that happened too and I was there to witness it. We both freaked a little and I've been really careful with blowdryers ever since. I have one just because there is the odd time I shower before an event and then need to get it to dry faster, but those times are pretty rare.

Themyst
October 4th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Yes, I've had that happen. Makes me mad everytime! :steam

heatherdazy
October 4th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I've blow dried thousands of heads of hair and have never seen anything like this happen. Maybe it's something to do with the design of your particular dryer?

hmmruka
October 4th, 2009, 11:54 PM
This has never happened to me but if I do use a blow dryer, (i haven't even used one once in the last 6 months) I will be very careful after reading this!

Laylah
October 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Yea, happened to me when I was maybe six or seven. My mother was blow drying my hair after swimming, and it scared me so much I didn't use one again for years.

prittykitty
October 5th, 2009, 12:06 AM
No, I have a very nice ionic blow dryer with every setting possible. I just wish I didn't have to use it everyday.

ravenreed
October 5th, 2009, 12:16 AM
My old blow dryer would eat my hair, so I got a different one that does not. I very rarely use it, but when I do, I would rather not have my hair ripped out.

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Yes, this has happened to me. I H-A-T-E the blowdryer, for several reasons. My hair looks all frizzy, poofy dry and tangled if I ever blowdry it. And the fact that it's sucked in my hair into the back part ticks me off too.

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Yea, happened to me when I was maybe six or seven. My mother was blow drying my hair after swimming, and it scared me so much I didn't use one again for years.

Eeek! Sounds pretty traumatic! :(

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Lol! Well, I guess that declaring blowfryers evil is a natural response when one of them has just tried to slurp up your hair like spaghetti. :p

This ^^^ made me laugh. So true!

Aberiah
October 6th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Yes! This happened to me in high school. I also had a really old blow-dryer back then that I swore was going to catch on fire any moment. I'll never forget the burnt hair smell. smh

BlazingHeart
October 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I've had it happen to me a couple times. Once with my mother's ancient (like, late 70s or early 80s) blowdryer, once with mine that was at the time new (late 90s or early '00s). I remember one of the times I didn't think to turn it off before I lowered it, which got it too close to my hair. The other time I was drying the underside of my hair on one side and didn't think about the fact that that brought the back of the blowdryer right next to the other side of my hair (d'oh!).

That's a good half of the reason I hate blowdryers. The other is that with hair as thick as mine, you have to keep the damn blowdryer up FOREVER. My mother blows her hair out 5 days a week, but it's too much work to be worth it to me.

~Blaze

Vallena
October 6th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah, that happened to me too. It was scary, and smelled like smoke, so I freaked out really bad. I had to pull it out and it ripped up a big bit of hair. I ended having to trim up that portion, and it made my hemline look lopsided and sad. But I was too stubborn to get it straightened up! Hahah.

mom2fourgirls
October 6th, 2011, 07:52 PM
i Hardly use hairdryers too :) unless I am going to a wedding or something :)

bna_rapunzel
October 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
This has happened to me once years ago. I use a blowdryer mayyyybe once a year. Maybe once every two years. But since its gotten almost to tailbone, the tangles it causes just aren't worth it to me anymore.

KwaveT
October 6th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I don't use one anymore. I have never had that happened to me and sounds like another good reason to never use one again.

BunnyBee
October 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah that happened to me a few times. I haven't ever used blowdryers on a regular basis but I stopped using them completely about 10 years ago.

Hairs tend to get eaten if you have that bad habit of blowdrying with your head upside down...
As long as the back of the dryer is pointed towards the ceiling you shouldn't have a problem, also drying that way is "supposed" to smooth the cuticle, i call bull on that but whatever :p

Taur5684
October 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
oh this has happened to me so many times... I've never been a regular hair dryer user, and it seems almost whenever I do that that's what happens. I never learn. It just sucks my hair in like a vacuum cleaner, which is odd since it's blowing air out...:-/

lizdini
October 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Holey Crud! That's horrible!

celebriangel
October 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I haven't had this happen to me in years, but I did blowdry recently, only partly, and on cool.

My hair still felt rough and tangly afterwards. Never again, except possibly in an EMERGENCY.

isabelx
October 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
This has never happened to me, but not long ago whilst at the hairdressers my stylist was blow drying my hair (they won't let you walk out with it wet!) she literally PUT my hair into the hairdryer! the nozel was quite large so she bunched my hair together and shoved it inside! I almost felt like crying.

Aqua Gal
October 7th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Oh, I feel for you. Yes, it happened to me as a teen...so scary. I don't use one often anymore , so I'm really out of practice. Hopefully, I won't lose my touch when I do try to use it.

KatjicaMjau
October 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I stopped to use hairdryer. Because of the same reasons. The hair just don't look good when I blow dry it. And it happened once to me too that hair was sucked into the hairdryer.. Fortunately, I noticed it before I got some serious damage on my hair.