PDA

View Full Version : Getting intimate with my scalp

Sister13
October 4th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Good long-haired people,

This board has been a blessing. I spent years minimizing washing, misting water on and piling on conditioner to "spare" my hair. Also, no blowdrying or heat. Mechanically, that gave some benefit.

But there was a casualty: my scalp was not clean or cared for.

I would shampoo straight out of the bottle once in a while. Seamed wide tooth combs and seamed claw clamps. I even got on occasional Monistat on my scalp to counteract some dandruff/ buildup. But my scalp didn't have a fighting chance to breathe between coloring & neglect. Severe taper a.k.a. fairy tale ends. Some brassiness and crunchy ends.

Thanks to y'all, I've clarified and dumped the chemical color and highlights. Now CWC with VO5, Suave, White Rain. I got with the handmade or bone combs for scritching, Body Shop wood brush and boar bristle/boar bristle mix brushes as well. Need some Ficcares + Flexi-8s.

(Oils are glorious grooming aids for shine on the length, too. :cheese:)

The real revelation has been scalp massage. I now realize my scalp has an anatomy underneath it and blood vessels and texture.

Feels so good & downright fascinating. I think it's all helping.

So thank you muchly!

:eyebrows:

lora410
October 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Nothing better then a good scalp massage (preferably by the one you love) to get your scalp feeling fab.

clairenewcastle
October 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm relatively new too Sister13. :waving: Like you I've found the site to be a godsend with the amount of wisdom and experience available here. Everyone has proved to be extremely friendly too so I hope that you enjoy your time here as much as I do.

Tinose
October 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Scalp massage is the best thing ever. I swear, I will never switch away from shampoo bars if only because that's the only way I'll ever remember to give myself a thorough scalp massage twice a week.

RavennaNight
October 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM
:lol:The thread title. :eyebrows:

Sister13
October 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hello, everyone-

Thank you for your encouraging responses.

I've discovered this fleshy round cap at the crown and there's muscles under the skin. I guess I never thought about what all's under there though I know there's a lot of blood & blood pressure under there.

I'll see if I can dig up scientific info about how it works. :D