PDA

View Full Version : Trimmers-how long can you let your hair grow before you need a trim?

juliaxena
October 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I will definately trim my hair on my hair growing journey, because if there is anything I "hate" more than short hair, it's split, crunchy, dry and uneven ends. But I would like to stretch trims because cutting all growth off won't help growing hair. Can you guys tell me how long it usually takes untill you need a trim?

Peter
October 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
For me personally I find I can go around 3 months. I cut very little though, at most 1/4" (sometimes less).

Heidi_234
October 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Few months at least, and this is while having dry, crunchy and uneven ends. For me time to trim is when I can't run a brush though without having it snagging in the ends.

viking_quest
October 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I go about 6 months to a year inbetween trims and usually get 1/4" off.

Roseate
October 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I've done it every 6 months for years. But since coming to LHC I've been able to stretch it, I waited 9 months last time, will maybe try for longer this time.

noelgirl
October 4th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Usually every 4 months for me, it's when the ends don't drape with the rest of it but instead get all caught up on themselves and actually look shorter. It looks longer after a trim (provided I don't cut too much), because it drapes better and seems to have better weight to it.

friskybiznus
October 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm waiting a year for my next trim.

whiteisle
October 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I went 6 months since the last one and got about 1/4" off. I'm hoping to go another 6 but will see how things are going around the 3 month mark.

RavennaNight
October 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I just figured that out today, actually! Six months. My ends started getting tangly, I had been noticing for the last two weeks, so I gave myself a microtrim. Such a small tin amount makes such a huge difference!

Speckla
October 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I've been snipping my ends here and there but nothing major. I haven't actually cut or trimmed the back bottom of my hair since last May. I'm probably going to get a trim next month. So about every six months to keep my ends from getting raggedy or splitting.

juliaxena
October 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
So do you think to be on a safe side I could adopt Peters method? Or maybe if I try 4 months? I don't want to wait till my ends start tangling etc.

Heavenly Locks
October 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Well, it's been a year since I last cut/trimmed my hair. My ends are fine :) Remember that tangles and crunch can just be your hair's way of asking to be clarified. :flower:

katydid317
October 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
So when your ends start tangling is when you need a trim? I've been wondering lately how I will know when it's time. I check for split ends occasionally and rarely find any and I haven't noticed dryness. I haven't had cut since Feb of this year and I think I can go a lot longer before I really "need" one. I'm thinking when I do trim it'll be just to fix up my hemline.

teela1978
October 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I don't really stick to a schedule. Honestly, it's more along the lines of "gosh, my ends are kinda uneven" and then I trim. This probably happens every 4-6 months or so, and I self trim a centimeter or so.

meph
October 5th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I trim twice a year, about 1 cm each time (which is.. 0.4 inch I believe). Sometimes I trim more when my ends look horrible but that can be avoided by S&D once in a while (when I'm utterly bored:lol:).

missjessiecakes
October 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I also dont have a set time I just trim when its uneven or split.

Zindell
October 5th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I trim about 2 cm every third month(ish), meaning I pretty much double the time it'll get me to reach my goal.

But I'll have very healthy hair with an even hemline all the time. :)

Elphie
October 5th, 2009, 03:19 AM
About every six months or so here, more to keep my hemline even than for any other reason.

squiggyflop
October 5th, 2009, 08:06 AM
well i might not be the best example for you.. i waited about 2 months between trims.. my hair grows fast so it didnt matter as much (in 26 months ive trimmed 15 inches which is more growth than most people get during that amount of time.. in total i managed 27 inches of growth.. so only 12 inches of visible growth after trimms).. but if your hair is splitting maybe you could do a search and destroy.. crunchy ends often just need a good deep conditioning treatment..
but i wouldnt trim it if i were you until you pass apl.. that way you arent at the awkward stages for extra time..

camirra555
October 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I know that curly hair needs less trims. I've heard that curly haired individuals can get away with trimming once or twice a year. My last trim was April 3 and I am trying to hold out til at least November, maybe even January. My ends don't look too bad.

jesamyn
October 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I've mostly gone 4-5 months at a time - basically when I noticed that my hair was starting to look wonky because of shape rather than condition. I then wind up trimming an inch or so at a time. I want to start micro-trimming, but since my trims are for hemline shape rather than hair condition, I don't think that's necessarily the answer.

Rohele
October 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I've been going every 4-5 months. I have in the past gone up to a year between trims (when there wasn't much damage). If I'm trying to maintain (not grow longer) a particular length and style then every 3 months or so when it's been longer.

KarenLynn
October 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Every 7-9 months.

InTheCity
October 5th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Before I started to grow I went 8-10 weeks between trims so I started my growing with super healthy hair.

My official start to growing was after a trim in January of this year - and I waited until late September to get one. So just over 9 months.

The truth is you need to gauge your hair's health and trim once the ends look like they are in need. I think most people here (myself included) stretch trims or don't get any at all because they search for split ends and snip individually. Give a 5-10 minute session every month or so (say you find 10-20 and snip) and you may be able to stretch to 6 months or more before an official trim.

Ravenwaves 88
October 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I usually have to do it around 6 months. I tried to hold out for a year but it never fails that around the 6th month my hair starts getting very frizzy and tangles easily around that time. I tend to trim 1/2 " to 1" off.

Stubborn
October 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I've only trimmed once and I'm at 17+ months of growth. I trimmed to even out the back because I plan to have all one length hair...

Once I have all one length hair I will Probably trim an inch a year or something. Or don't trim until I see noticable damage which I may go a year or more without seeing...

lapushka
October 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Haven't trimmed in 14 months, still doing okay. My hair's been cut into layers along the way, and those have been trimmed a few times, but the underlayer (length) has remained untrimmed.

Yozhik
October 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I waited about 8 months before I got my hair trimmed about a month ago. My hair has just enough curl that I can never pull a comb cleanly through it without tangling :( So if your hair's like mine, whenever your hair gets knotty may not be the best gauge for a haircut. I got my friend to do the trim, too, and he only cut off about 1/2" to 1/4" depending on where. For some reason, though, the hair directly at the back of my head was considerably more damaged than the rest -- does anybody have any idea why?

motormuffin
October 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I usually cut it every 4 months. That seems to be when it looks ready and needs a new highlight. Last cut was in May...I'm going to wait until next Sept to cut it this time. She always cuts a little too much and I think I want more length...and to grow out some layers and do away with the highlighting.

rags
October 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I "dust" or microtrim every three months. It's probably less than 1/8 of an inch. My hair doesn't "need" it then. It's just that it's so fine and thin that I hate the ends to get at all uneven - it looks ragged. It's been ten months since I've had a "real" (longer than 1/8") trim.

Teakafrog
October 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM
The last few years, I have been trimming on average around every 6 months. By then, I have enough splits and dry ends to notice them, so I go get them chopped off. I do a few S&Ds in between, but I'm not obsessive about them.

bushytailed
October 5th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I have my husband skim the edges every couple months, just a skim is about all I need.

julliams
October 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I actually never trim. When I was growing my hair, I never cut it because I wanted to get as much length as I could. In the last few years I have just been going and getting a haircut every six months or so, so they would take off more than just a trim's worth.

Now that I'm growing again I'm just going to wait until I see split ends but since I don't use a brush I'm wondering when that will be???

I do have layers though and these will grow out unevenly so I might have to update down the track but since I wear it curly now, it probably doesn't matter.

Juliette