PDA

View Full Version : 1980s

missbexy
October 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Ok, I am doing some modeling work and one of the photographers would like to some 80s themes stuff. This sounds great to me but now I'm working on thinking of some outfits, make-up and hairstyles I can try out for the shoot. So here I am yet again begging for help! Of course it's mainly hairstyle suggestions I'm digging for on here (obviously the less damaging the more preferable but I'll think over any suggestions). I know quite a bit about 80s fashion but any help picking specifics will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance :) go wild with ideas lol

physicschick
October 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Side ponytail! :) Also, weren't crimping irons from the 80s? You could get a similar effect by making lots of little braids in damp hair and then taking them out once dry.

ETA: Weren't banana combs from the 80s? Scrunchies definitely were.

missbexy
October 4th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks, I'm going to have to test my hair with the suggestions over all the days until the shoot lol. Wash time tomorrow morning so might try some damp braids tomorrow.
Outfit and make-up suggestions also welcome.

LittleOrca
October 4th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Watch some episodes of "Saved by the Bell" on Youtube. :) There are TONS of videos on Youtube that dedicate themselves to just random commercials from the 80's. Commercials will be a great way of telling you what was popular to wear at that time, both clothing and hair. Also look into some 80's films. Splash (of course) comes to my mind first, but also I thought of Howard the Duck. It may not be the best movie ever made, but the woman in it does have the 80's rock-girl look with big hair.

RubyRose
October 4th, 2009, 01:37 PM
As a 91 model, I barely missed the 80s. From what I hear, I can not decide if that was a blessing or not.:p

Roseate
October 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Yes, it was all big, poofy, wild-textured hair in the 80's. Very dramatic makeup.

One of my favorite (and more sleek) 80's hair/makeup looks is this (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3287193856/ch0002844) glossy 40's style pompadour updo worn by Sean Young in Blade Runner, with a severe dark suit, smoky eyes and glossy red lips. In other scenes of the movie, the character lets down her hair and it is a tumble of floofy 80's curls.

Have fun, and show us pictures!

Fractalsofhair
October 4th, 2009, 02:10 PM
You can always slick your hair back with some oil, and maybe gel it into a sort of plait in the back? Maybe pin the plait up? Sorta a David Bowie look.

Siava
October 4th, 2009, 02:12 PM
One trend from the 80's you probably won't want to do is tease the hell out of your hair. That was very big back then. You can still get big hair though without teasing. Hairspray is your friend. :) Wings were big then, too. Sweep the sides of your hair out and then curl back slightly with a brush, then spray lightly. Let dry a little bit and spray again. Unfortunately, aside from teasing, side pony tails, very high pony tails, and wings long hair wasn't very popular in the 80's. There was a lot of choppy bobs and short punk looks going on.

p.s. I agree...pics please! :)

Superfine
October 4th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Missbexy, I remember seeing a way to do a fake Farrah Faucet layered look. I t was in the George Michael's book. You don't have to cut, just pull up some top pieces & let them fall forward - curled of course. Not a very good description but perhaps you could find the book . He has a sketch. Sorry I can't help more. I lived thru the 80s (actually went to high school with Farrah. Good luck!

MsBubbles
October 4th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Is it a British theme or a US 80's theme? It wasn't really all the same on both sides of the pond! So Saved by the Bell might go only so far (big hair, drainpipe jeans) if it's supposed to be more British.

Side ponytail is a great idea.

Really when I was in secondary school in England from 1979 to 1985, there was a ton of hair-spiking and gluing (to make mowhawks, or Siouxie Sioux type hairstyles), plus hair dyed green, blue, bright yellow, pink, jet black, or bleached bright white. Or you could go with a mass of poufy curls for the big hair look. Can you wear a wig? I can't really think how to replicate those styles without murdering your hair :p. Oh and don't forget variations on the mullet :run:

Other fashions I remember: tight 'pencil' skirts with kickpleats in the back or over one knee. Navy-blue suede ankle boots with a zip(per). Vest-tops made out of some sort of mesh-type stuff that you wear over a t-shirt. Stilletos and black shiny leggings...

inertia
October 4th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Big bouncy waves were popular for a posh, sexy look. Just let damp hair dry in some big foam rollers, and when you take out the rollers, brush the curls gently until they're really full and soft-looking.

missbexy
October 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Thank you all so much. The suggestions are great: keep them coming.
British 80s.
I have had a lot of 80s details and experience from my mother but any specific ideas so I can make a really great couple of outfits.
I'll update with my ideas progress and with the pics when I have them.

sally_neuf
October 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I'm just going to say..

NINA HAGEN! if you want a 80's-punk look. I'll second big big hair, really strong makeup with shiny colors. Get crazy with the blush on! purple or green blush on, etc.

Siava
October 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Outfits...ooh! Hmm, anything with shoulder pads, but that would probably be hard to find today. Neon. Metallic. Glitter. Mesh. Cut up stuff. I have seen a lot of footless leggings in the stores again which was popular back then. Worn under a mini skirt and a long tunic with a skinny belt right at the waist...with lots of bangles...heck yea! Hehe. Overly enthusiastic here. Sorry. I love the 80's fun stuff.

Dreamernz
October 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
You could try using foam rollers to get big hair and mess it up a bit (without backcombing of course!) :D

missbexy
October 4th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hehe. Overly enthusiastic here. Sorry. I love the 80's fun stuff.
Don't apologise! I'm loving all this. I'm trying to create a mental portfolio of as many options as possible.

sally_neuf
October 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Outfits...ooh! Hmm, anything with shoulder pads, but that would probably be hard to find today. Neon. Metallic. Glitter. Mesh. Cut up stuff. I have seen a lot of footless leggings in the stores again which was popular back then. Worn under a mini skirt and a long tunic with a skinny belt right at the waist...with lots of bangles...heck yea! Hehe. Overly enthusiastic here. Sorry. I love the 80's fun stuff.
ah! me too! I had a 80's partie last year and it was amazing, I had so much fun dancing the vapors, wham! and madonna all night.

If it's brittish 80's, can I suggest, leather jackets? I'm thinking of a "The Smiths" style.:eyebrows:

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Any 80's photos of Madonna are great to look at for clothes, hair, and make up ideas :)

Melisande
October 4th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Mesh gloves. Gloves and leggins were big. Tshirts were simple in front, big decollete in the back. I had some kind of breeches - jodhpurs - tight up to the knee and then broad.

I had a pouf for a while. Always had long to longish hair so the pouf made it, hm, up to date ;-)))

Sister13
October 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Side ponytail, leggings, neon colors. How fun!

Speckla
October 4th, 2009, 03:53 PM
The 80s were so much fun. It was ok to look bad. :cheese:

missbexy
October 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Haha reading all this enthusiasm I'm starting to think that we should have an LHC 1980s party!
Suddenly got told shoot might be tomorrow but having to postpone it due to stupid university finance and disability people not agreeing to see me until the end of this month (I will not go that atleast that long broke and unable to take notes in my lectures!) so i'm most likely going to spend the day camped out in the student support office instead. Photographer shouldn't mind and atleast I have longer to think about what I'm wearing.
Whoops sorry long, ranty post.
Loving the suggestions.