PDA

View Full Version : Signs of damaged hair?

julliams
October 4th, 2009, 03:32 AM
This probably seems obvious to most but I don't colour, perm or chemically treat my hair in any way but I did use a ceramic heat straightener at least twice a week up until a month ago.

I've read that if you want to grow your hair long you have to cut off all the damage in order for it to remain healthy as the damage travels up the hair shaft (???) :confused:

I don't think that my hair looks or feels damaged but what kind of signs would I be looking for?

Does continuously touching my hair damage it? I find myself playing with it now that it is so much softer (no longer using cones)

Juliette

Heidi_234
October 4th, 2009, 04:02 AM
If it doesn't feel nice anymore, if the ends feel like velcro, and snag all the time when you brush it, if clarifying doesn't help the situation (but makes it worse), and of course if you see actual damage like white dots and split ends - then you have it.

I'm pretty sure you'd know if your hair is damaged. Don't look for problems, the problems will find you on their own. If your hair feels great and soft, then you're okay (at least for now :p). Good luck growing!

EvaSimone
October 4th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Hello! :waving:

IMO and many others it is not necessary to trim off all damage to grow. But in severely damaged hair the damage will travel up the hair shaft and cause it to break off. So in some cases of severe damage doing a chop is in your best interests.

I grew all the way to hip with very damaged hair with small trims along the way. I just recently cut off three-four inches because on the very tips the damage was causing my hair to break off. It's important to pamper and give damaged hair lots of moisture, some protein and TLC but it's not necessary to chop it all off.

What I look for personally when I am looking for damage is:

Little white dots all over the ends, that is breakage.
Split ends
Rough spots where the texture of the hair feels plasticky and dry
Tangly ends that refuse to stay untangled

Also I should mention that if you use silicones (which most commercial shampoos and conditioners) have in them they will hide damage so it's harder to spot. But they also can block damaged hair from getting the protein and moisture it needs. They also can be nice for damaged hair because it will give your hair the slip it needs to not tangle as badly.

Nightshade-has written a really great article about damage and growing with damaged hair.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

julliams
October 4th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Thanks guys,
i don't think I have damaged hair. It feels too soft to be damaged. I guess I'm lucky since I did use that ceramic straightener a fair bit. I had a chop recently so I have no split ends that I can see.

I think I am looking for problems that aren't there. Hair has become my new obsession. Sitting here wondering what oil to use next - lol

Juliette