PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing scalp while shampooing

Papillonnoir
October 3rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
So, when I shampoo, I like to rub/scrub/massage the scalp a bit. I know too much friction is bad, so should I try and stop? I'm using a milder shampoo, and this helps a lot in getting my scalp clean. I use the pads of my fingers, and I'm only touching the very roots. What do you think? Thanks!

linuxgirl
October 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Massaging is good! Clean hair is happy hair, and it's especially important to remove scalp debris if you're using a mild cleansing regimen. Just make sure you're using pads of fingers only and applying the bulk of the pressure at your scalp. It also helps me to make sure I slick the hair up with extra shampoo on the scalp to reduce friction, get it extra clean while sparing the length of my hair. HTH. :D

blendedchaitea
October 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Friction is how I clean my scalp! Shampoo has far too much detergent in it for my hair, so I use cheap conditioner instead (90 cents for a 20 oz bottle, you say? Oh ho ho...). I slather it on by the palmfuls on my scalp, really lift the hair and get in at the roots, and scrub away with my fingertips to get the gunk off. Then I rinse that on and put on and rinse off a nicer, richer conditioner (which is still about $4 a bottle. :3).

This method is not without its drawbacks. I use very diluted ACV after every CO to keep buildup to a minimum, but it still happens. So, every month or so, I use full-strength (preferably clear) shampoo on my scalp, and that sort of 'reboots' it so it's nice and clean. If the shampoo doesn't work, I put some brown sugar in cheap condish and use that as a scalp scrub. That tends to be a seasonal occurrence, though.

In short: If friction works for you, go for it! Just add a little lubrication, and you're set.

Xandergrammy
October 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
My favorite part of washing my hair is the scalp massage! I use the pads of my fingers and am gentle, but aaaaah, it feels so good!! I think it's good for us!

RancheroTheBee
October 3rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
It's the only way I can avoid the second-day grease fest that my scalp insists upon. As long as you don't get too vigorous, it cleans better, in my opinion.

lookingglass
October 4th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I have to scritch and use my nails sometimes (gently) when washing. My scalp dosen't get oily as much as dry, scaley, and "built up".