PDA

View Full Version : Ever use an apprentice stylist?

Eden Iris
October 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
For those who go to salons, have you ever had a cut from an apprentice? I really need a cut by someone who is not me (want to go back to BSL or shorter for awhile), but I can't currently afford my old stylist, who is awesome and charges about $100 including tip. The salon offers $20 cuts by apprentices, and I'm wondering if that would be safer than going to a cheap, untried salon or a beauty school.

Or I could just go on putting my hair up and pretending it isn't happening.

Any thoughts?

amaiaisabella
October 3rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Aveda has apprentice teachers, and though I get a good pedicure, I'm not sure I would go to them for a cut as I have heard horror stories, at least for the one near my school. But if you just want a trim, and not a cut, I'd go for a barber or one of those SuperCuts places.

misstwist
October 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
When I first started having my hair cut to enhance the curlies I was using an apprentice at an expensive salon. It was operated in a different room from the main salon and called Salon Protege. My results were good. It wasn't like a cut at a beauty college, though, nobody ever checked her work. She just charged way less.

When I moved to an Aveda salon the gal I started with was just starting there and her prices were the same as my protege stylist at the other place. Her prices increased through the years and when she moved to California she was an Aveda instructor.

I had good communication and good results with both, but I was mostly very short, above shoulder length and usually closer to chin, and was focused on curly cuts.

C_Bookworm
October 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
I have at the local Paul Mitchell. Actually think they are more nervous about getting it wrong, so they are more careful about only cutting off the amount that you requested

Melisande
October 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
My last haircut was three years ago by an apprentice stylist (CyberSalon (http://www.cyberhairsalon.nl/)in Amsterdam), and it was really great. A very carefully structured layered cut to c. shoulder length. My husband would pay me a flight to Amsterdam just to have me cut my hair like that again. (He doesn't like long hair very much - likes updos though so I forgive him). I think it was the only time I ever had a really CHIC cut.

It also grew out extremely well. Except for some microtrims, I had to do nothing. It just grew out without split ends, without awkward stages, into a very natural and nice U-shape.

The young lady was very good at her job, and although I'm not into that kind of cuts, I thank her for some months of looking fashionable once in my life ;-))))

Kris Dove
October 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Actually think they are more nervous about getting it wrong, so they are more careful about only cutting off the amount that you requestedI'd agree with this!
Nervous hairdressers are a lot better at not shearing off too much hair than over-confident experienced ones in my experience. I went to an apprentice the last time I got a trim* and he hardly took anything off, just tidied the hemline a little as well as restyling my bangs, so I was delighted! I actually even asked him to make the bangs a bit shorter.

*a trim by someone else that is to say... I've just started self-trimming.

heatherdazy
October 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Yes, an apprentice would do a MUCH better job than a beauty school student or a chop shop employee.

angelthadiva
October 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
I have to respectfully disagree w/the other posters. I've had both apprentice stylists and also student ones. As a matter of fact up until I joined here; I went to beauty schools regularly. I received cuts, color and highlights, blow outs and flat irons. Yikes, I almost makes me cringe to think of it all, but I've had it done.

As the students neared graduation, I'd ask who they would recommend and for the next several appointments I'd see who they suggested. They see each other's work and I have not been disappointed...The reason I stopped going was because they were charging for root touch ups based on my length :rolleyes: even though I was not having my length refreshed...I quit coloring in January 2009 and DH has been fairy dust trimming my ends as needed since I stopped going to pros and semi-pros.

If I were you, I'd ask around to those whose cuts/styles you admire and ask them who does it. If you are genuine (which I know you are) most women would be happy to give a referral and I'm sure the stylist wouldn't mind the word-of-mouth advertisement. :flower:

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

RancheroTheBee
October 3rd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Let me put it this way: If they're apprenticing in a place where some of the stylists are charging $100, they're probably going to be better than average.

purplebubba
October 4th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Just a quick note to those who would try a beauty school student. Some schools such as the one I attended will not let you pick your stylist so they can make sure everyone gets equal practise. In my school the receptionist had a book of what we had done and still needed to do and she would just choose based on filling the assignment book.

Another note. Some schools have teachers who will cut the first snips / guide in back and let the student do the rest and others will do half a head while the student does the other half. This is important because the guide is going to determine how much gets cut off so you'll need to make sure whoever does that knows what you want or don't want. So be sure to consult with both of them before they start. Some schools may do it other ways too.
Also some schools including mine will not perform a service without a shampoo first.

And in all cases whether you use a student, apprentice, chain salon stylist, small town stylist, or big city celeb stylist it is all going to come down to that individual and what they are going to do. And the consultation. Don't let anyone start cutting unless you have told them exactly what you want. That includes barbers too. If we are on this forum long enough eventually somone will post that even a barber didn't listen.

kwaniesiam
October 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Chiming in here as a beauty school attendant, though not quite at the level of having my own clients yet I can tell you that most of the senior members of my school are very good at what they do and are often more careful and willing to listen out of fear of messing up! Also, depending on what school you go to there should always be an instructor monitoring that student. Good luck!

BunnyBee
October 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Yes, Iàm a cheapskate so the last haircut I had was by a "trainee" although she was supervised by the stylist. I was worried, and of course she did the usual ripping comb through wet hair, but I thought this was because she was a trainee... Nope, when the stylist came over to check on her work he RRRRIPPED the comb even worse :s
Amazingly I don't think they caused any more splits between them...
The cut was just as good as if the top stylist had done it, they just used a bit too much shine serum is all, lol

I don't think it really matters the price you pay, just that the person understands what YOU want and doesn't think they know better than you...

klcqtee
October 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I went to a beauty school to get my hair layered once. It was a $5 hair cut (including wash and style!) and it was incredible. He spent a very long time layering it (my hair is very thick, but still considerably longer than an "official" hairstylist). He probably spent over an hour on the whole thing, which I thought was a long time. He paid incredible attention and detail to what he was doing, and was very friendly. I think it was personally the best haircut I've ever had. The best part was, he actually listened to what I wanted! (Of course, he was being graded for it, but still...)

I whole-heartedly support beauty schools.

Linda K
October 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Communication is key ... I went to a beauty school a few times when I lived in California. All but one were good experiences - I was thrilled.

The less than great: The picture I was looking at did not look all that short. The instructor made the initial cut - student finished. I felt bald and froze all winter that year. I think most guys had longer hair ... *shudder*

There is no such thing as :tmi: when it comes to your expectation! Ask for a hand mirror and have them show you where they are going to make the first snip so you can see what they are talking about ...

free_hug
October 4th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yep, back at sweet home Budapest, apprentice hairdressers come for free - even is trendy downtown salons. Results of the few times i went to them: cute, supercute, excellent, DISASTER. Just so you know, it might have risks :D

No, i wasn't fair here. After the poor thing was trying to do something to my hair for about 2 hours, without really knowing himself what, i just broke down in tears, so a more experienced & talented one immediately took me over, and i ended up with a cute haircut. Although a lot shorter than what i expected.

And no, you don't have much of a say in what happens to you, but you do have some. They won't do a half inch trim - what is there to learn from that for the apprentice anyway? But they do have some great long hair cuts they might want to try. Most probably, layers are an inevitable outcome.

Hope i did help some...

Eden Iris
October 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks, everyone! My two-week waiting period is up on Thursday, so if I still feel like I want to get rid of some hair, I will call my old salon. I'm wavering between APL and long bob; in either case I want something that can grow out neatly because chances are I will let it grow again.

heatherdazy
October 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Yep, back at sweet home Budapest, apprentice hairdressers come for free - even is trendy downtown salons. Results of the few times i went to them: cute, supercute, excellent, DISASTER. Just so you know, it might have risks :D

There is one MAJOR difference between an apprentice in the US and one in Europe. Here, stylists go to school and then either to a chop shop or on to apprentice before working in a high end salon. In Europe, the apprenticeship is longer, but it replaces school, so your experience was with someone equivalent to a US beauty school student.