PDA

View Full Version : Washing = Tangles

LeaGirl
October 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
When I wash my hair I get soo many tangles. When you use a mild shampoo/conditioner/only water to wash your hair, you have to massage a lot to clean the scalp, but this massaging (alright, I also scrub a bit) really tangles up the lenght of the hair and this is really damaging. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent tangles?

Vrushali
October 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I usually oil my hair the night before and I really think its softer and more prepared for a wash when I shampoo. IMHO its easier to wash oiled hair coz it moves easily and doesn't tangle much. When I try to wash un-oiled hair I can actually feel it sticking together and refusing to budge causing tangles. But thats just me! I would recommend oiling your hair before a wash if you haven't been doing it already :blossom:

spidermom
October 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
I dilute my shampoo with water in a squirt bottle so that I can get it all over my scalp. Then I massage from face area toward nape over and over again, my fingers in slightly different locations each time, until I'm convinced I've washed the entire scalp (or get tired of it). Moving my fingers in only one direction greatly minimizes the tangling for me.

LeaGirl
October 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
But how do you get the oil away when you wash then? I don't want to have to shampoo my lenght! I've oiled before and I would never get the oil away with just water. I used to oil, and like a day after, I CO washed and put deep conditioner in my lenghts and carefully washed. The oil did not go away. So I'm a bit scared of oil.

Vrushali
October 3rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
But how do you get the oil away when you wash then? I don't want to have to shampoo my lenght! I've oiled before and I would never get the oil away with just water. I used to oil, and like a day after, I CO washed and put deep conditioner in my lenghts and carefully washed. The oil did not go away. So I'm a bit scared of oil.

Have you given CWC a shot yet? I have only recently learned that conditioner gets oil out better than anything else, all you need to do is leave it in your hair for a while. Astonishing I know but it does work!

LeaGirl
October 3rd, 2009, 10:47 AM
I dilute my shampoo with water in a squirt bottle so that I can get it all over my scalp. Then I massage from face area toward nape over and over again, my fingers in slightly different locations each time, until I'm convinced I've washed the entire scalp (or get tired of it). Moving my fingers in only one direction greatly minimizes the tangling for me.

My shampoo is kinda mild, so diluting it makes it not cleansing enough. I feel the same way about massaging...not cleaning enough. But I think I will give it a try again and see how it works.

LeaGirl
October 3rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Have you given CWC a shot yet? I have only recently learned that conditioner gets oil out better than anything else, all you need to do is leave it in your hair for a while. Astonishing I know but it does work!

Yes, I AM a CWC-er! But instead of conditioner I use a light deep treatment. So maybe I should try a conditioner instead?

Vrushali
October 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Yes, I AM a CWC-er! But instead of conditioner I use a light deep treatment. So maybe I should try a conditioner instead?

Maybe your first C could be a light conditioner left on while you W and then follow it up with a heavier C?

natt i nord
October 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Put conditioner in your lengths first. Then give shampoo onto your scalp and move your hands only to your neck to spread the shampoo.
And then let it stay there for a few minutes before rinsing. That's the way I do it and I don't have many tangles.