PDA

View Full Version : hair typing question..

Anywhere
October 3rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
I've been here maybe a month or two, and I've read in some posts that you need to clarify/not use products before typing your hair. If this is true then what's a good way to clarify, since all my shampoos seem to have some type of cones in them. I figure I'm maybe a 2b/2c, but I'm not sure since I haven't clarified and this whole hair typing thing confuses me. So how do you clarify?

http://i38.tinypic.com/nna334.jpg

^ That's my hair(with leave-in conditioner to tame the frizz) if anyone feels like deciding that I typed it wrong.

Vrushali
October 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
They say you need to clarify and let your hair air dry without any conditioner or leave-in for hair typing. There are special clarifying shampoos available which can be used for this purpose or you can use watered down baking soda (maybe??:confused:). After that you skip the conditioner and all leave-ins and let you hair air dry. Then we hair type! Simple eh?:p I would definitely recommend clarifying properly before you hair type, its beneficial to know your correct hair type. Your hair does look 2b/2c to me from the pic but I am relatively new here and maybe someone with more experience will be able to help you better. Good luck!:)

TheEndlessOcean
October 3rd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Easiest way is to just go to the hair aisle and find a shampoo that says "clarifying" on it. I use the Suave daily clarifying shampoo, I think it was like $2.

Anywhere
October 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Easiest way is to just go to the hair aisle and find a shampoo that says "clarifying" on it. I use the Suave daily clarifying shampoo, I think it was like $2.

Okay, I'll buy a clarifying shampoo and see how it looks after that.

Quixii
October 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
This is also what I did, though I think I picked up the V05 clarifying shampoo. (Also cheap.) :)

Heidi_234
October 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Easiest way is to just go to the hair aisle and find a shampoo that says "clarifying" on it.
No need. Any regular SLS shampoo, one of those that are designated for normal hair (that is not dry or oily hair so it will not have many additives) is clarifying.

Anywhere
October 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Okay, so I clarified. Now my hair's really fluffy and frizzy..(but its soft!), Can anyone help me type this? :confused:
http://i34.tinypic.com/178tps.jpg

TheEndlessOcean
October 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
No need. Any regular SLS shampoo, one of those that are designated for normal hair (that is not dry or oily hair so it will not have many additives) is clarifying.Oh, that's interesting. The Suave clarifying shampoo I have has ALS (lauryl and laureth) in it, but no SLS.

apynip
October 3rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
i would probably say 2c for your waves. cant tell teh strand thickness really. and thickness is probably ii/iii

By the way... I love love LOVE your hair. you have beautiful waves, colour, and thickness.

take care. :)

spidermom
October 3rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
It looks like 2C to me. If I clarified and let my hair dry without conditioner, we'd have to type it BUSH. It's fine to use conditioner, just don't comb or brush it; that's the main thing.

Tornerose
October 3rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
I'd say 2c also.

Stephichan
October 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Hmm... I somehow missed the parts about clarifying and not combing/brushing to hairtype. I mean, the second one makes sense, since I hear so many members say that they comb their hair when wet in order to get it straight, but personally that would never work for me (unless I combed it constantly as it dried). My sig pic I believe is either braid waves or the day AFTER washing (only sleeping on it can flatten those waves/curls) but you'll notice it's still not anywhere close to 1a. Tomorrow's a wash day, so I may have to use my Suave clarifying set and double-check my hair type.

OP- You have gorgeous hair! I agree with all the others, it looks around 2c to me.

Heidi_234
October 4th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Oh, that's interesting. The Suave clarifying shampoo I have has ALS (lauryl and laureth) in it, but no SLS.
Well, those act pretty much like SLS, some claim they are somewhat milder cleansers, but they all are the same family and do the same. What's important is that the shampoo removes build up successfully, SLS or not.