PDA

View Full Version : Helmets and Hair

verene
October 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Any one have suggestions for hairstyles that work well under a bicycle helmet?

Normally I wear my hair in some sort of bun, however starting this last week and continuing for presumably the next several months my bike is my main form of transportation. My buns and bike helmet do not like one another. I'm not willing for forgo the safety of a helmet, so I need a change in hairstyle.

I could do braids, as that was what I have done that last few days, but are there any other options? Specifically options that are or with minor tweaking can be made office appropriate?

Shiva
October 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Is a bicycle helmet pretty much the same as a motorcycle helmet? Because if so, I just pull it back in a low ponytail, wrap it in a hairglove and put my helmet on.... it works.

KatanyaG
October 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
I ride a bicycle to and from work. As I work in a hospital, so I have to look neat. What I do is wear a low ponytail for the ride, and when I arrive, I either do a quick sock bun or a cinnamon bun.

They both look tidy, and they only take a few seconds to do without a mirror.

Quixii
October 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
I was thinking about making exactly this thread!
I bike to school daily. I generally do braids or ponytails (usually ponytails), which, while they work and I like them, do get kind of.. tiring, I guess. I'm bored of them. I want to start learning some of the great updos here. But then I put my hair in xnewbun and go to bike to school and - oh darn, back in a ponytail it goes because the bun runs into the helmet. >.<

clairenewcastle
October 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Years ago I'd a moped....and long hair. Not a good combination. I braided it low on my neck and tucked it inside my jacket. A low ponytail worked too - as long as it was once again tucked into my jacket.
As for putting it up inside my helmet? Uncomfortable and too much friction on my hair.

nicolezoie
October 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
It depends on the type of helmet you have. Can you put your hair above the adjusting band in back or does it have to go below?

Either way, avid cyclist here, and with the helmet I'm using currently I start with an ear-height ponytail, and braid/bun/hair-sleeve it, then stuff it through the gap above the adjuster in my helmet. It DOES get boring, but I still get to keep my hair and bike all the time. :cool:

lambhair
October 3rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
I ride a bicycle to and from work. As I work in a hospital, so I have to look neat. What I do is wear a low ponytail for the ride, and when I arrive, I either do a quick sock bun or a cinnamon bun.

They both look tidy, and they only take a few seconds to do without a mirror.

I second that....I also bike commute to my hospital and do the same thing (except no sock bun-lol-just a cinnabun).
How far is your commute going to be and do you have facilities where you can clean up? We have a small locker room and I keep my changing stuff there. Dry shampoo works great it the warmer months if you sweat at all. You might try a simple braid that you could bun after you get to work.

Anje
October 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
I have issues with buns and my helmet too. Then again, I'm out of shape and a 6-7 mile ride pretty much means my hair will need re-done anyway...

First, I have found that I can get a soft, flat bun inside the helmet for at least a short time. But it's not ideal.

I've found that a braid or a caterpillar ponytail works well, and I like it even better if I double it back on itself to make a loop. I ride a road bike, so a full-length braid is constantly falling over my shoulder, swinging near my knees and the top tube, etc. Doubling it reduces that problem a lot, and significantly calmed my worries about the tassel getting tangled in the wires that run to the back brakes.

teela1978
October 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
I've been able to do a low bun with a stick with my new helmet. I think a lot of it has to do with which helmet you get. I do usually redo my hair once I get where I'm going, but it says fine while riding (not a very far ride though).

Tornerose
October 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Well it depends on your helmet, but here's an idea. Torrin's Harley Braid. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLnBEVd0gOg)

verene
October 12th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted ideas! Several of these look workable for me. :-)

And sorry for seeming to abandon this thread after posting a question. My internet died after I posted this. :-(