PDA

View Full Version : Back to Cones

MandaMom2Three
October 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Ok, after getting off the cones I discovered that my hair is actually quite wurly. This lead to the discovery that if I didn't care for said wurls juuuuuus right they caused insufferable frizz. Following this was the discovery that I really would rather weigh those puppies down with cones again so I can so back to brushing and have smooth hair LOL. :rolleyes:

ALSO discovered that my scalp doesn't mind shampoo anymore so I think I'm going to try CWCing again and once a week I'll clarify and do a nice SMT. Hopefully this will keep my hair sleek from cones but still moisturized. Full circle I guess LOL.

Also, would using cones defeat the use of a prewash oiling?

friskybiznus
October 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
This lead to the discovery that if I didn't care for said wurls juuuuuus right they caused insufferable frizz. Following this was the discovery that I really would rather weigh those puppies down with cones again so I can so back to brushing and have smooth hair LOL. :rolleyes:

Mine is the same way. I'm 100 % with you on this one!

fluffybunny
October 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Yup, I've tried cones again. I'm not doing too well with aloe and oils for frizz taming. The beauty brains site also influenced me. They make a pretty good argument that cones are just fine and dandy.

RavennaNight
October 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Welcome Ba-ack! :flowers:

Neoma
October 3rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
I'm back, too.

Now that I'm at my goal length -- waist -- I find that I need cones to facilitate detangling. And cones tame my halo and make it look and feel smooth and silky.

Mutinous
October 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
I use cones too, my hair is far too thick and otherwise it just won't lay flat. I've never had a problem with them!

teela1978
October 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I do heavy pre-wash oilings and use cones... and I think I get some benefit from them. Welcome back to the dark side :luke:

Philomela
October 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
The severe breakeage I had when going no-cone has stopped since switching to cones (it's been half a year now). I've noticed no build-up so far, and my hair is in better condition than ever. A very happy cone user here!

Laurel32
October 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Maybe I should start using cones again... :hmm:

rchorr
October 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
So, do you have a particular flavor of cone that you like? I like strawberry, myself. :silly: Oops! Wrong kind of cone! LOL!

I've been debating about going back to cones. It's just that the stuff I used to use is now hard to find. So, what do you use?

RCHORR'

dernhelm
October 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
I used a coney conditioner the other day. I liked it...made my hair look longer :D

JamieLeigh
October 3rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
I hope you find something that works well for you, that's the important thing! :flower:

I would be careful about clarifying too much, especially if you will already be using shampoo more than once a week - even if it is a CWC. A once-a-week clarification routine for a shampooer sounds a bit much. :twocents:

Wicked Princess
October 3rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
If 'cones are what works for you, then get yourself some cones! We are all slaves to our hair here, and what our hair wants, our hair gets. Or maybe that's just me?

Here's some linkage!

Here is a list of different cones from the LHC articles section. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13)

I did try pre-oiling once with a 'cone on this list that wasn't very water soluble and it came out fine, but I think I might have mutant hair. :D

Yup, I've tried cones again. I'm not doing too well with aloe and oils for frizz taming. The beauty brains site also influenced me. They make a pretty good argument that cones are just fine and dandy.

I also love the beauty brains site! Here is a response they gave to someone's question about using both silicone products and oils (Here is a brief note they made about using both silicone products and oils). In that, they also link to a post about coconut oil and Ojon oil. They're short, but they contain good information. :)

I tried going the no 'cone route and actually had very good results. My hair was much softer, felt like it was getting the moisture it wanted, and led to much less breakage from past damage than I thought it would lead to. The last four inches, though, seem to be relentlessly tangled and I don't have the heart to cut them! So I cheat and put a light serum on them, and this routine has made my hair very, very happy.

emeraldfaery
October 3rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm back to cones as well as of about 30 minutes ago. I have tried going coneless countless times and I find that I just love the feel of cones. I just want to have nice hair that isn't greasy and limp from coneless CO and CWC.

luluj
October 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
I was not even aware of the cones vs no cones debate until I joined TLHC this past August. I have used the most expensive products and I have used the least expensive products and everything in between! Now that I have stopped abusing my hair and scalp by giving up the colour and going all natural my hair is in the best condition ever. Right now I am using OJON shampoo, conditioner and Restorative treatment. I do alternate with Burt's Bees products just for a change every now and then. I also love the Suave Coconut Shampoo for about $1.49 on sale! LOL!! Eat Healthy and your hair will love you!

Shermie Girl
October 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Welcome back to the dark side. :D

Cones rock. My hair loves them and what my hair loves, my hair gets. I also use oil along with my cones and, much to my utter amazement, it works. :D

GlassEyes
October 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
I'm all for what works, but uh--ever consider that the breakage issues you had were because of brushing? Just a thought.

Bianca
October 3rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Now i'm considering going back to cones :rolleyes:

MandaMom2Three
October 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
So, what do you use?

I knew that I liked some Herbal Essences stuff when I was on cones before, and since I just dyed over my henna with manic panic (and LOVE IT!) I decided to use their "Color Me Happy" shampoo & conditioner.

I would be careful about clarifying too much, especially if you will already be using shampoo more than once a week - even if it is a CWC. A once-a-week clarification routine for a shampooer sounds a bit much. :twocents:

My hair seems to need it, even with the shampooing it only takes a week to get build up. After clarifying it goes back to silk again :shrug:

I'm all for what works, but uh--ever consider that the breakage issues you had were because of brushing? Just a thought.

Definitly did before I changed brush types and didn't know to detangle first. With a nice wood bristle brush and a pre-brushing detangling, the brush slides through like butter on a hot biscuit, no snagging, nothing. I think most of the "breakage" I thought I had (at least in the last quite a whle now) were just baby hairs. My hair didn't seem to grow much before LHC so I never really NOTICED baby hairs before!

hmmruka
October 5th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I can't live without cones. I tried but it turned out horribly!

meph
October 5th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I'm thinking of going back to cones too. At the moment I'm conefree and my hair is not what it used to be, back when I cone-d. Yesterday I got a free sample of a hair mask which contains a cone, and I think I'm going to try it today.

If your hair likes cones, use them. They're not teh evil.