PDA

View Full Version : Some questions: Buns and Headackes, Olive Oil?....

Little_Bird
October 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hello there! :waving:

I'm sorry if I've been picky with so many threads, but sometimes I feel like such a begginer... but there's so much to learn and try :D

As some may remember I've been trying buns since I started uni, and actually I got my lazy wrap bun to hold the entire afternoon (about 5 hours or so) so it's great! BUT, every single day I worn a bun for a very long time (like all day long) I end up with mild headaches that kinda concern me. It could be the uni starting and getting to my nerves a little... but I doubt it. I really think it's my buns, as my hair is super heavy (altough I usually don't sense it).
Is there any way to deal with it? I know more people have this, and I'd like to hear your opinions :)
Very importantly: are there any buns that can be done with one stick on thick heavy hair? I love my braids, but I have been noticing improvements on the shape of my ends, I notice they really love not having to deal with elastics ALL the time...

Another thing I wanted to ask about is olive oil. I tried a little in the ends the other day and my hair seemed to like it. I noticed it's very heavy this oil, and I think that's the reason why I loved it :p I know I shouldn't use it all the time, because it's too strong for a regular basis (at least for me) and I wouldn't leave it in because of the smell... but what is the best way to do a heavy oiling with it? I'm one week away from ending my scalp treatment (yay) and I'd love to do a heavy oiling afterwards...

So, how do I do it? :D

Thank's so much for reading!
:flower::blossom::flowers:

Rohele
October 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Another thing I wanted to ask about is olive oil. I tried a little in the ends the other day and my hair seemed to like it. I noticed it's very heavy this oil, and I think that's the reason why I loved it :p I know I shouldn't use it all the time, because it's too strong for a regular basis (at least for me) and I wouldn't leave it in because of the smell... but what is the best way to do a heavy oiling with it? I'm one week away from ending my scalp treatment (yay) and I'd love to do a heavy oiling afterwards...

So, how do I do it?

I'm pretty much a beginner myself, but here's how I do a heavy oiling with olive oil (I don't like the smell in my hair either, it smells too much like salad dressing to me, lol).

Anyway, I don't do anything fancy - I just apply it to my dried out ends (I don't get it near my scalp - my skin does not like oil on it - so I use it about from ears down). For my length of hair (way shorter than yours) I use about a tablespoon or so of oil - its enough to really coat the strands and make them greasy, but not drippy with oil. I then either braid or bun my hair and leave it for a few hours before washing - CO washing removes it the easiest for me.

It gives me beautiful soft hair - I think it's pretty much saved me from having to cut all the dyed and damaged ends off.

Merewen
October 2nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
I have a drop of peppermint oil in my little bottle of olive oil. That way it smells more yummy and less salad-y. Olive oil is amazing stuff. My hair drinks up rather large quantities of the stuff.

bigevilgrape
October 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
I really only get headaches from my buns when I do them too tight, or if they've slipped and the hair at the top of my head starts to be pulled on.

MotherConfessor
October 3rd, 2009, 01:21 AM
There is a good chance that you are getting headaches because the weight of the bun is distributed more on one part of you head than another. Try an equilibrium bun or an inside out bun, and make sure you are using a hair toy that is big enough to hold all your hair. If you try to force a toy too small to hold your hair you will have to pull the bun too tight and that can cause the headaches. The bun should feel loose, but still secure. Good luck, I had this problem for a while too :):)

Niftytiffs
October 3rd, 2009, 01:25 AM
From my experience, I have a "sweet spot" with regards to buns. If its too high it can give me a headache and if its too low it can as well. It might be worth trying different heights to see if this works for you too.

Tiffers

JamieLeigh
October 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I have a drop of peppermint oil in my little bottle of olive oil. That way it smells more yummy and less salad-y. Olive oil is amazing stuff. My hair drinks up rather large quantities of the stuff.

^^^ This is a really good idea, and I'd never have thought of it. Thanks, Merewen!! :flower:

I switched from olive oil to coconut oil, mainly because of the smell, but I would always just use enough to coat the strands and leave them greasy, and then just braid or bun it for a few hours. Sometimes I leave it in overnight and wash the next day. A regular CO wash gets it all out for me, just fine. :)

As far as the bun-headache thing...your head is probably just not used to so much weight being piled in one spot every day, after you have been wearing braids so often. I'd try to find a style that more evenly distributes the hair across your head. A Chinese bun is a good example of a single-stick bun that evenly distributes your hair. Good luck!

ETA: Try to find some larger hairsticks, or just use regular kitchen chopsticks - not the flimsy wooden ones but the stronger bamboo ones, if those are available where you live. If not, look on ebay for some relatively cheap ones.

GlassEyes
October 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
:shrug: It's fine to use it all the time.

Am I the only one whom the scent of olive oil doesn't bother? XD; It's not really a pleasant smell, but it's far from putrid--and it never lingers in my hair.

As far as the headaches, yeah, they can reslt from buns, depending. Making them looser might help--you can use pins to hold looser buns more easily (amish pins, for example), I would think. Maybe try a braided bun--they're very secure for me, and though I have nowhere near your length, they're comfortable. You probably have enough to do eresh's variation...there's a thread somewhere.

Curlsgirl used to get headaches from buns too--her solution was to not do them anymore, last I heard. :-P

Merewen
October 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
If you wanna know the truth, GlassEyes, I am not bothered by olive oil smell. I have a weak sense of smell and it doesn't smell like much to me. I put the peppermint oil in it more because I had the peppermint oil than anything else. It's a nice way to add a little yumminess, I guess.