PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for sports.

LovingLife
October 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I've never been good at buns and with my chin length hair it just does not work! I just had a trim, I know most are against it but the hairdresser is a lovely woman and those dead ends were dragging everything down for me... probably because my hair is curly. I recently started some sports and I would like to distinguish myself from the males on the team with my hair. However obviously I can not wear my hair down...

Any suggestions?:D:D:D:D

mbaker223
October 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
You could try the lara croft doo. LoL That's what my husband calls it, it's really an old greek do that works pretty well for most lengths, here's a photo. It's just taking sections of your hair and putting an elastic in at certain points all the way down. You start by taking your bangs and putting them in an elastic, then you take the section just above your ears and add it to the ponytail made by your bangs and you put an elastic around both the bang ponytail and the new section and you keep going til you reach just above the ends. Hope this helps!

http://chiclooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/fasl04-hair-how-tos.jpg

Anlbe
October 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I only do 'keep fit' stuff now but I used to row and fence (10-12 training session a week, really silly come to think about it), and whilst it may not have been the most fetching look ever, two pigtails were by far and away the most practical hairstyle for training as it was secure and I could do it in my sleep. For regattas and competition I'd do two french braids merging into one which was less prone to 'school girl' comments.

heatherdazy
October 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
If the boys on the team aren't wearing ponytails, why not just do that? (though at your length you may need one of those wrap around headbands)

Pburgh56
October 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
How about wearing it half up and half down so the bangs arent flapping around and you can wear a thin elastic headband too :) It would look cute.

JamieLeigh
October 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
I didn't see anywhere in your post that you have bangs.....so I'm not sure where those replies above are getting that. Lol. :p

I would suggest pigtails also, those would look cute at your length, and would keep your hair out of the way as well.

LovingLife
October 8th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I didn't see anywhere in your post that you have bangs.....so I'm not sure where those replies above are getting that. Lol. :p

I would suggest pigtails also, those would look cute at your length, and would keep your hair out of the way as well.

How about wearing it half up and half down so the bangs arent flapping around and you can wear a thin elastic headband too :) It would look cute.

Thank you, firstly everyone because I didn't think I would get so many helpful people! Rightly I do not have bangs! :D :bounce:however I do have longer sections at the front, my friends call it the 'jade look' from the animated jackie chan! So of course the bangs things would help! I like the pigtail idea since it would look cute of course! However would it be healthy for my hair since the pigtails would have to be quite tight in order to keep...? :thumbsup: Please keep 'em coming! you are all amazing! :sun:

LovingLife
October 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM
http://chiclooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/fasl04-hair-how-tos.jpg

That look is stunning!

For regattas and competition I'd do two french braids merging into one which was less prone to 'school girl' comments.
Good idea, competitions do get quite... competitive

If the boys on the team aren't wearing ponytails, why not just do that? (though at your length you may need one of those wrap around headbands)

Wrap around headband??
And please keep them coming! They're lovely!

Tap Dancer
October 8th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Because your hair is chin length, it's probably too short for a ponytail. How about a wide cloth headband? It's comfy and it'll keep the hair from sticking to your face and forehead. :)

My hair is just a bit below my shoulders. When I exercise, I wear a cloth headband and a low ponytail. Hair doesn't stick to my neck this way.

Arniky
October 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM
pony tail/buns would be okay

LovingLife
October 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Because your hair is chin length, it's probably too short for a ponytail. How about a wide cloth headband? It's comfy and it'll keep the hair from sticking to your face and forehead. :)

Thank you! Where would I go about getting those??

pony tail/buns would be okay

LovingLife
October 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys for keeping this thread alive! Please continue to bump it up

GoddesJourney
October 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I would definately vote pigtails, just make sure you get ouchless hair ties. The little black silicone ones work great for me and the don't snag your hair. Just pull them out slowly. As your hair reaches APL, you should be able to braid it. I've found over the years that ponytails and especially buns DO NOT SURVIVE rigorous excercise. However, a single english braid at the nape of the neck tucked into your sports bra strap right in that little crevice above your collarbone holds better than anything else. It may look messy by the end of your workout, but it won't come out. French braids work better if your hair is a little shorter because the little pieces toward the front may not reach your braid. mbaker223's picture of whoever that is looks fantastic. I will remember that for when my hair grows back out.

LovingLife
October 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Thank you!
However where would I get the ouchless ones and will I look like a school girl?

LovingLife
October 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Please reply and just try to help if you're on this thread because views don't really help...

Pburgh56
October 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Im glad this thread is open. I second the opinion about the cloth headband. I definately think that it could work well and would be a nice style to try out. YOu could eve do the pigtails with that. HOw fast does your hair grow? Itll be anxious to see how long it takes to get some more length for it.

chesapeake
October 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM
While my hair was growing out, I also liked the wide cloth headband to keep the front back, then a single braid in back. I find them in any Target or mainstream drugstore. They are easy to make with cotton jersey material or by taking a nice swatch of cotton and sewing it into a circle with an elastic insert. You can pick and choose patterns and fabrics. I am personally a fan of 2 braids, and could care less about looking like a schoolgirl. I think it's cute. :eyebrows:

Tap Dancer
October 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you! Where would I go about getting those??

I see them all the time in Target, Walmart, Kmart, and in drugstores. :)

GoddesJourney
October 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Thank you!
However where would I get the ouchless ones and will I look like a school girl?

I see them everywhere, too. Kmart is usually the cheapest. I don't remember if Sally's has them but I do know that even grocery stores carry them sometimes. They do break and that's why they come in big packages. Oiling your hair will make them break faster.

LovingLife
October 9th, 2009, 01:28 AM
HOw fast does your hair grow? Itll be anxious to see how long it takes to get some more length for it.

My hair grows pretty fast... hm.. I think my goal will be for upper shoulder length in june.:D

LovingLife
October 9th, 2009, 01:31 AM
While my hair was growing out, I also liked the wide cloth headband to keep the front back, then a single braid in back.

I see them all the time in Target, Walmart, Kmart, and in drugstores. :)

I see them everywhere, too. Kmart is usually the cheapest. I don't remember if Sally's has them but I do know that even grocery stores carry them sometimes.

Okay thanks! I'm going to go out and look for some! Thank you! :D:D I don't think I'll do two regular english braids because ther have a tendency to frizz up and poke out! Pipi longstockings with curly hair :love:

Duchess of Erat
October 9th, 2009, 01:48 AM
When I had chin length hair I used to take two sections on the sides of my head and make two little ponytails with just the front bits of my hair (the part of the hair you'd use for a half-up, only I'd leave my part so I'd have two sections of hair). I'd make sure the elastics were lying sideways so the ponytails stayed against my head and not stick out sideways. As the back isn't long enough to get in your face at chinlength that's all I needed (I play badminton).

Other options I've seen are a high ponytail with bobbypins or those little click-clacks to hold the hair in the front off of your face (I don't like it, but maybe it will work for you).

LovingLife
October 9th, 2009, 04:28 AM
When I had chin length hair I used to take two sections on the sides of my head and make two little ponytails with just the front bits of my hair (the part of the hair you'd use for a half-up, only I'd leave my part so I'd have two sections of hair). I'd make sure the elastics were lying sideways so the ponytails stayed against my head and not stick out sideways. As the back isn't long enough to get in your face at chinlength that's all I needed (I play badminton).

Other options I've seen are a high ponytail with bobbypins or those little click-clacks to hold the hair in the front off of your face (I don't like it, but maybe it will work for you).

Could you perhaps post a pic?

Aditi
October 9th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I like high ponytails with headbands to keep layers/bangs off the face.

LovingLife
October 12th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I like high ponytails with headbands to keep layers/bangs off the face.

Wouldn't that damage after awhile?:poot:

Pburgh56
October 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Upper shoulder length is really good. You should consider mid back even :) It would look great either way im sure :)

Arniky
October 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Guess a pony or bun would be okay

LovingLife
October 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Upper shoulder length is really good. You should consider mid back even :) It would look great either way im sure :)

Thank you! I'm planning BSL as my goal with Shoulder as my mini :cheese:

Anje
October 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Just another vote to say pigtails are adorable on people with hair too short for a ponytail. (Or for those longer, but by my length, they're not particularly sports-friendly.) You can get hair-friendly silicone ties at places like Walmart, Walgreens, etc. Those little "terrycloth" ties are also nice for hair, and tend to be mixed in with the hair accessories for little girls at the same stores. You'll probably also find wide and narrow stretchy circular fabric headbands there. Feel free to pair the headband with pigtails, ponytails, or anything else to keep wispies out of your face. I see it all the time, especially with thin headbands.

Rivanariko
October 28th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Braids have always felt a lot more secure for me than pony tails, but I don't think I've ever had chin-length hair. I've done two french braids starting really high on some friends of mine with short hair, though, and it always stays pretty secure. They were playing ultimate frisbee. A single french braid is my personal favorite for activity, and I'll tuck it into my bra strap if the tail is getting in my way, but a single braid might not catch and hold all of your hair yet.

LovingLife
November 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Just another vote to say pigtails are adorable on people with hair too short for a ponytail.

Thank you! But they get slightly 'poofy' ;) Any advice?:cool: