PDA

View Full Version : Getting a trim...

09robiha
October 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
i am getting my hair cut for...well...the first time in maybe over 6 months, nearly a year (i can't really remember) but i am facing a slight dillema. At the moment, i am growing quite a few layers but am i wasting my time. Should i just cut to the shortset layer ,which is a little below chin length, or just maintain the length I have now and keep trimming the bottom until it all matches?

Isa-belle
October 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
This choice is really up to you :) You have to see what will "cost" you more. Personally, I chose cutting my hair gradually and letting the top layers slowly catch up on the hemline, instead of having one big depressing chop. Others like to start afresh because they find the waiting frustrating.

Your shortest layer is chin length, but how long is the longest layer? Will that mean a big chop?
Also, seeing a picture might help - but even at that, the decision ultimately has to be yours :flower:

09robiha
October 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
This choice is really up to you :) You have to see what will "cost" you more. Personally, I chose cutting my hair gradually and letting the top layers slowly catch up on the hemline, instead of having one big depressing chop. Others like to start afresh because they find the waiting frustrating.

Your shortest layer is chin length, but how long is the longest layer? Will that mean a big chop?
Also, seeing a picture might help - but even at that, the decision ultimately has to be yours :flower:

the longest layer is nearly maybe 1/2 inch away from bsl

Tangerine
October 2nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I agree with Isa-belle, it is entirely up to you. It isn't necessary to cut your layers to one length before you start on your long hair journey but if you feel you'd rather make a clean start with an even hemline (and you don't mind losing the length you've already got!) then go for it!:)

Just as an example, I am growing out from a pixie cut. I had the pixie done in Sept 2006. I had my layers slightly trimmed, just to balance them better, in July 2007 (my longest layer was touching my shoulder then). I haven't had a cut since. My longest layers are now touching hip (yay:D found this out yesterday!) and my shortest are at BSL. I've got a strong V-shaped hemline. I like it, but your mileage may vary ;)

Good luck with whichever you decide, and happy growing! :blossom:

JamieLeigh
October 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
It depends on what you really want more. If you're interested in maintaining length right now, then trim just a little bit and maintain there until the rest catches up. It's easier than it sounds, I did it at tailbone-length for years. :) If you're really just eager to have it all the same length, then you should cut to your shortest layer.

Just ask yourself what you'd rather have! From others' experiences at salons, I'd venture to say that you might have a bit of trouble getting the stylist to understand that you want to keep your length, if that's the option you choose....so be very VERY specific about how much you want cut.

Good luck! I'm sure it will look great, no matter what you decide. :flower:

MsBubbles
October 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Just a heads up so the same thing doesn't happen to you: about a year ago I went for a trim with the lady who highlighted and 'mom-haircut' me for 10 years before that. Last year I was trying to grow all my layers out. When I went to get just the bottom trimmed, she cut all the layers back in again. :(:(:(

I finally got all the layers down to BSL by June 2009 but what a pain. I would have been there sooner if I hadn't gone for that trim, and just done my own self-trimming. I'm always going to cut my own hair from now on.

Just be very specific with your stylist.

heatherdazy
October 2nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
I agree about being specific. Almost everyone who requests a trim also want their layers trimmed, so if you're that vague, that's what a stylist will do. You need to say:

I'm growing my layers out, so I don't want them trimmed right now. Just this much (demonstrate with your fingers) off the length.

Your stylist should rephrase or repeat back what you've said so you know you're both on the same page.

Sheltie_Momma
October 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
It kind of depends on the condition of those top layers. My layers (shortest now at shoulder) were pretty trashed, especially those around my face so my length was actually healthier than my shorter top and front layers (they got the brunt of the heat styling). For some people, the length is the healthy part so cutting it all off would mean it would look worse. Hope that makes any sense.

Roseate
October 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
BSL to chin is quite a chop, and will totally change what you can do with your hair. Maybe consider a significant trim, APL or something, and then maintain there for a while?

Like everyone says, it just depends on what you want more right now, length or a blunt hem.

MsBubbles
October 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
It kind of depends on the condition of those top layers. My layers (shortest now at shoulder) were pretty trashed, especially those around my face so my length was actually healthier than my shorter top and front layers (they got the brunt of the heat styling). For some people, the length is the healthy part so cutting it all off would mean it would look worse. Hope that makes any sense.

I agree. It does depend on the condition of the layers. I worried about that too when I was growing them down. I guess I went with the compromise of keeping my longest layers at 24" so the other shorter ones wouldn't get too trashed once they caught up. Chances are though, a stylist is going to see the layers and want to re-cut them anyway, even if they're not really that damaged.

jojo
October 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
I had millions of layers nearly 4 years ago when my hair was short, for me I never trimmed the layers but just dusted the length. Now I have not one layer in my hair and its nearly waist length.

Little_Bird
October 2nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I think the choice is up to you. Just balance wheter you prefer the one lenght look or the lenght. I have been growing layers and trimming them off slowly ever since I started growing (5 years) and yeah, sometimes it's painfull, because depending on how much you take each time... it can take a while :p

My vote is to go slow, but the choice is yours :flower: Make sure to make yourself happy in the end :)