PDA

View Full Version : Nioxin User's Question

aries
October 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Those of you who use Nioxin, how often do you wash? I am wanting to start using it again due to a lot of loss from thyroid problems and the bottle says everyday. That can get quite expensive. Anyone do once a week and get good results?

Babyfine
October 2nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
I shampoo 2X a week. I lather up with the step 3 cleanser on the scalp area only,rinse out and put the scalp therapy on my scalp area and heavier conditioner (like Aubrey's GPB) from the ears down only. Sometimes if I feel I really need a shampoo more often than that I use Jessicurls hair cleansing cream.But twice a week with the Nioxin works just fine for me.
My stylist recommended every other day but I feel that's too much shampooing for me.
MY hair is fine and color treated-I want to get as much mileage out of the color that I can-although Nioxin is not supposed to fade color, and it doesn't.
Yes it is expensive, I know.

ambychelle
October 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
I'd be interested to know if it slows down your shed due to thyroid problems. My bloodwork came back clean (although I've had graves disease in the past, it's been in remission for the past five years according to bloodwork) yet I'm still shedding a good bit. If it works for you, please let me know. I keep toying with the idea of trying it, but there are a few horror stories about it out there and I chicken out.

aries
October 5th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Babyfine, thank you for letting me know twice a week is ok for you. I worry about washing to much but know that in order for the Nioxin to work more than once a week is necessary, at least that's what the stylists say along with the back of the bottle.

ambychelle, I will keep posted in here how it goes. I'm going to pick up System 2 today or tomorrow. My thyroid has been haywire for years and I really hate the hair loss. It worked back in my 30's but don't know if it was stress or thyroid at that time.

aries
September 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Ok, I know it's been a while since I have made any posts to this thread but I needed to give time to see if the Nioxin worked.

NO, it did not work for my hair loss and hypothyroidism. Being something hormonal I guess it's just going to take time for them to get my meds right and I am giving up on Nioxin. On another note with Nioxin, possibly becasue of dermatitis, it was giving me sores all over my scalp. I kept using it hoping it would help keep my hair in my head but no such luck and I am finally giving up.

If anyone else wants to give it a try for a while, please feel free. I will say again that my opinion for hypothyroidism hair loss and Nioxin was a no go and I will not use it again.

Fairlight63
September 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the update. Sorry that it didn't work for you.
I tried it last yr. for hairloss but I paniced when the hairloss increased & I quit using it. I use it once in a while but it seems to dry out my hair. That is a good idea to just put it on the scalp & a different cond. on the length.

I was wondering if it has helped any one?

virgo75
September 15th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I don't know about thyroid hairloss, but I use Nioxin on my kids because they both have scalp problems(flaking & dandruff, my son actually get crusting at times like cradle cap, and with this comes increased hair loss).

How I use it on them is to wash at least 5 times a week the first 2 weeks, then after that once, maybe twice a week. I can use other shampoos in between or just conditioner. It definitely helps with the scalp issues and my son's hair sheds less when I use the Nioxin than when I use other shampoos.

I notice a difference when I forget to buy it and they end up going a few weeks without using it. Then their scalps are a mess and my son loses more hair when I wash until I get it back under control again.

Hope that helps. :flower:

P.S. They both have said that when we first start back using it, it makes their scalps feel kind of sore and sensitive. Not sure why?