PDA

View Full Version : shorter terminal length babble...

ambychelle
October 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM
So, with my high shedding (110-120 per day average), and being a light brunette (i was blond until my early 20's), my calculated terminal length is 21 inches or less. So, right now, my longest hairs (root to tip) are about 16 inches. If I meausre over my head, it's about 24 inches.

Anyway, 21 inches seems about right since I've never been one to get frequent trims (usually one trim a year that is 3-4 inches) but my hair has also never been longer than smack dab between bra strap and waist. Which, inicidentaly would put me right at about 21 inches.

My mom hasn't cut her hair in years except for a small trim my neice gave her two years ago. She always has her hair up so I didn't take notice of just how long it was but when I cleaned the bathroom, there were a few hairs left on the sink or bath from when she washed and they seemed to be 20-22 inches long.

She's a big shedder too (although, I don't think quite as much as I do) but she has totally different hair than mine. Hers is rich black, coarser than mine with a lot of curl. But now I have to wonder if we just have shorter terminal lengths.

My sister, on the other hand, has always grown hair very quickly. She could cut her waist or hip length hair to her shoulders and before we could blink, it would be long again. I'm sure she has a VERY long terminal length but she really enjoys changing her hair style so I doubt we'll ever see what it is.

Does anyone here really have a shorter terminal length? I was sort of hoping to grow to waist, but now I'm not even sure that's a possibility.

Papillonnoir
October 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'd stay optimistic, if I were you. Your shedding sounds a little heavier than average, but not excessive. It shouldn't mean that your terminal length is automatically short. And if you trim 3-4 inches every year, that's most of your growth, or all of it if your hair grows slowly. So maybe smaller, perhaps more frequent trims, like maybe 1/4 inch every few months, would help.

jivete
October 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM
Three to four inches of trimming per year is a lot. It's possible you have a shorter terminal, but I'm guessing if you trim that much each year, it'd be hard to determine.

kam984420
October 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
My sister, on the other hand, has always grown hair very quickly. She could cut her waist or hip length hair to her shoulders and before we could blink, it would be long again. I'm sure she has a VERY long terminal length but she really enjoys changing her hair style so I doubt we'll ever see what it is.

Theres also a good chance if your sister has a long terminal length then you do too. Try not to trim so much and see if your hair will grow longer.:)

GlassEyes
October 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM
What does being a light brunette have to do with anything? xD;

I'd look into possible thyroid issues---even more so if you think your mom might be similar. It could be a genetic thing, and you might want that looked into.

Other than that, I'd just wait and see. No harm in that, right?

vindo
October 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
I think she is referring to the thing where it says, blondes have an estimated number of 150 000 hairs on their head and brunettes less...^^

Which is a very very vague study and I would definetly not refer to that when trying to figure out terminal length.

What you can do is watch your taper. Take a picture of your braid and maybe measure the taper from top to bottom.
Repeat in min. a half year from now and you will see if your hair just tapers more and more which could be a nearing terminal length or if the thickness is actually growing down.

I also have a formula for predicting terminal length but it can only say what it would be like if the current state of your hair would not change.
For my friend for example it bettered since she is growing out healthier thicker hair now after she stopped bleaching.