PDA

View Full Version : straight frizzy hair????

mightymustang
October 1st, 2009, 05:45 PM
My hair is not curly, it is straight with a tiny bit of wave to it. However, when it dries (I always air-dry) it looks like it may be frizzy! I didn't think straight hair with a bit of wave could be frizzy, I thought it was only curly hair. Anyway, if anyone has this type of hair, what do you do to tame the frizz? Is there a texturizer or leave in conditioner that would help? If I curl it with my big curly brush, the frizz goes away but I'd love to be able to just air-dry and go! Any suggestions?
Thanks so much! Susan:confused:

Arctic
October 1st, 2009, 05:48 PM
You might be more wavy than you think! Give your hair lot of moisture and love and the frizz might transform into waves :)

~GypsyCurls~
October 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
All curly hair is not frizzy, and all frizzy hair is not curly. Frizziness is usually due to dryness, so keep it moisturized and that should cut down on it a lot. other than that, you just have to experiment...a leave-in conditioner would help depending on what works for your hair. I'm sure others will give you more advice soon. Welcome to LHC :)

whiteisle
October 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hi! I'm a victim of that phenomenon myself. Straightish with a hint of wave that likes to frizz - ack! So far the things that have helped me tame it somewhat are Pantene Beautiful Lengths S&C followed by a bit of coconut oil on the ends (no longer using Pantene though), CV poo bars that contain honey and if I use a bar without honey I put a bit of honey into my ACV rinse (my hair really loves this! :D) followed by coconut oil on ends, and my last option is running some aloe through wet hair (this sometimes calms the frizzies depending on the humidity...I see you're in NC - me too! - so you know how wonderful the weather here is on your hair, lol.) These are the best things I've found for right now. The only other option I know of is WO. That definitely does away with frizz if you're willing to muscle through a transition. I haven't been successful at that yet. :p HTH!

Gabriel
October 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM
I have straightish hair that's gotten definitely more wavy as I've learned to care for it more. If my hair is moisturized well it will have more shine and bounce and little frizz. If I don't it's definitely straighter and more frizzy/coarse looking.

Sweet Almond oil and coconut oil work well for calming frizzies for me. I also find the less wind or rough handling of my hair the less frizz it gets.

Papillonnoir
October 1st, 2009, 06:40 PM
And if you don't mind cones, serums can work really well.

friskybiznus
October 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM
I lightly oil my hair with jojoba oil every night before bed. Seems to be really cutting down on the frizzies.

motormuffin
October 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
I lightly oil my hair with jojoba oil every night before bed. Seems to be really cutting down on the frizzies.
I do this too...but I add meadowfoam and some eo's. My hair likes the jojoba too.

WaimeaWahine
October 2nd, 2009, 03:50 AM
I have straight hair and used to constantly battle frizz.

It's about 75% under control now. My hair responded best to V05 poos and conditioners, a finishing brush (not a normal brush really), and various oils and serums. My frizz is due to breakage from chemical dye, seawater, years of towel drying, chlorine, etc...

The John Frieda Frizz Ease works for some but didn't work at all for me. I just started using Aveda's Smooth Infusion serum on damp hair and it's pretty amazing. Very impressive stuff. Experiment and find what your hair likes.

jivete
October 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Keeping the temperature of your wash water on the cool side helps a lot too.

shadowclaw
October 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
My hair is straight as a pin and it gets a frizz of sorts. The shorter hairs go nuts if I don't dry my hair properly (frequent combing while air drying with my hair down), and they also go nuts when it gets closer to wash time. I haven't found a permanent solution, but moisture and frequent brushing/combing does tend to prevent it.

Anje
October 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
As others have said, it's quite possible that your hair is actually wavier than you think. More moisture might help, since dry hair is often frizzy, but it's also possible that more moisture could make the frizzing hair curl more.

It's also possible that you have something similar to what I have, which is hairs that think they're supposed to be curly when they first grow. The ends of my new hairs are quite wavy, and only after 3-4 inches of does the growth calm down and come in straighter. Those first few inches tend to curl out of the general pattern, therefore. There's not much you can do if this is what's going on. I find that greasier hair, either oiled or several days post-wash or in a water-only routine, behaves a bit better as far as these are concerned.

heatherdazy
October 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
I've noticed aloe gel can reduce the appearance of frizz in my hair. :)

Laylah
October 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Frizz can be any number of things: new growth, broken hairs, damaged hairs, dry hair, or wavy/curly hair that was separated from the rest by a brush. Unfortunately, if it's any of the first three, there's no immediate fix, so I suggest putting your hair into a half-up (the front part of your hair combed back and secured in the back with a jaw clip) to flatten the frizzy hairs.

If it's due to either of the latter two, try giving your hair more moisture or not brushing it.