PDA

View Full Version : Hemline for Wurlies and Curlies

Pixna
October 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Although I have taken the no-trim pledge for 2009 and have done quite well with it, I have a small dilemma. My hemline is very, very, very blunt all the way around. When I wear my hair wurly (without combining it), my hemline looks a little odd.

How do YOU, as a wurly or curly, wear your hemline?

Do you self-trim? If so, how do you do it?

Because I am in the growing-out (from a pixie) stage still, I am hesitant to do anything dramatic (actually, I'm petrified of scissors -- or anything sharp -- since the Big Chop!), but I wish my hemline weren't so blunt. Any suggestions (for now or for when my hair gets even longer -- I'm at SL now)?

redcelticcurls
October 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM
I have a v-hemline.

It's not a popular look for showing maximum length, but it does keep the triangle head at bay. It does work well with my texture, coraseness and volume. It may not work as well on others

I get my hair professionally cut about once a year now with maybe one other trim in there to clean up the ends.

inty
October 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Although I have taken the no-trim pledge for 2009 and have done quite well with it, I have a small dilemma. My hemline is very, very, very blunt all the way around. When I wear my hair wurly (without combining it), my hemline looks a little odd.

How do YOU, as a wurly or curly, wear your hemline?

Do you self-trim? If so, how do you do it?

Because I am in the growing-out (from a pixie) stage still, I am hesitant to do anything dramatic (actually, I'm petrified of scissors -- or anything sharp -- since the Big Chop!), but I wish my hemline weren't so blunt. Any suggestions (for now or for when my hair gets even longer -- I'm at SL now)?

My hairtype is similar to yours, I think, and my hemline is rounded. Also the hair at the front is about shoulder, and APL at the back. This is not the best configuration (growing out fringe and layers), but with rounded hemline itself I am quite happy that way.

Pixna
October 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks, redcelticcurls and inty! Inty, when you say you have a "rounded" hemline, do you mean a U shape?

prittykitty
October 1st, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have my hair cut in full feathered layers. It seems to take the blunt out of the ends and gives my hair a cute style while it grows out. I have read where many on here are against getting hair cut in layers. I don't see anything wrong with it. Once my hair gets to a certain length, then I may quit layering it, but for now, it works great for me.

Pixna
October 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks, prittykitty. Although that's probably not something I will do (I've finally grown out all the layers from my pixie!), I'm glad it works for you!

Heidi_234
October 1st, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'm the last person to talk about hemlines :lol: Mine's awful, but to my defense I'd say I still have 5" of tapered layered abused ends to get rid of. If you want to, Pixina, my latest length shot is naturally curly and shows the hemline pretty well (It's a privet album so befriend me).

It really depends on the hair, RCC rocks her deep V shape hemline but I wouldn't want to have it on my hair, I'd like thick barely see though hemline on myself. Some curlies and wurlies get away very nicely with almost blunt hemline, but it does not work well on everybody. I think U or V shape hemline look most natural, and go well with curls, which disrupt it anyway. :shrug:

Brat
October 1st, 2009, 05:35 PM
I have a U, and I love it! The underneath parts of my hair are much more straight than the canopy, so they totally need to be a little shorter, especially on the sides.

Lamb
October 1st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Can it be that your hair is a bit straight in the bottom 0.5-1" because of your wave pattern? In that case, it might only be a matter of time for your hemline to "curl under" so to speak.

Dars
October 1st, 2009, 07:41 PM
To be honest....I'm not sure. I used to get my hair cut by a hair dresser but it's been 10 months since the last time and I'm not going back. I will use Feye's method...don't know when though. I can feel taper and I'm trying to grow out my layers. I think I might try the blunt one and later on when all my layers are grown out perhaps the U shaped one.

GlassEyes
October 1st, 2009, 07:49 PM
To be honest....I'm not sure.
Ditto'ed. :p I'm thinking that when my hair is long enough, I'll get a 'v' cut in, or a steep u-shape, but at the moment? I haven't a clue.

Actually, I think my hem might be a bit jacked, because the hair that falls at the center of the back of my head seems shorter than the rest. :(

Anyway, on topic--layer/layered hemlines can help wurly/wavy hair lay better. :p And I prefer them almost universally on curly hair.

pradabacon
October 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM
I have a U hemline and that's the way I prefer it. I recently evened up my ends a bit using Feye's method and it worked very well. The U with long layers seems to work best for me since depending on my wave pattern on any given day, it isn't always the same length in every spot. I just try to keep everything kinda-sorta even...that's good enough for wavies, I think. :D

Roseate
October 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM
I have a U-shaped, long-layered hemline and I love it.

Last time I was growing out my hair I got it all one length by the time it was waist length and I was not fond of the look; the blunt ending just seemed too sudden to me, and it still tended towards a triangle. So I'm keeping a shaped hem this time around.

ETA: Oh, and I don't self-trim, I have a trusted hairdresser that I visit about twice a year. I trust her with the sharp things far more than myself!

Quixii
October 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'm not quite sure what my hemline is. I sometimes trim (myself) the longest bits (though I'm trying not to do that now), to even it up when it's wet, but when it's dry it pretty much always looks the same - generally bluntish, but because of the curly/wavy clumps it's kind of a wavy line. I may have a bit of a "natural U shape."

Edit: Just remembered my signature shows my ends well, for visual representation since I couldn't figure out how to describe it.

Debra83
October 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
hmmmm....mine's as blunt as I could get it myself. Works for me!

AprilElf
October 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
I have fairy-tale ends and love the way my hemline looks when I wear it wurly (it's not so good when the curl drops out).
I guess it looks like a 'V' hemline when wurly.

Pixna
October 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Thank you, Heidi, Brat, Lamb, Dars, GlassEyes, Hootietoot, Roseate, Quixii, Debra, and AprilElf!! I appreciate your input SO much. I think a deep U might work well for me, once my hair gets long enough. I'm a little fearful of layers, even long ones. I'm drooling over everyone's beautiful curls!!! :heart:

Ryanne
October 2nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
I started out with a U-shaped one last year, with layers, that by now (with only S&D) is naturally forming a V-shape, or pretending to do so anyway.

RedJen
October 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
I've been doing straight, although my ends are very tapered. I'm doing microtrims to thicken the ends, then I'm thinking of doing a slight u-shape and trimming each twist individually.

inty
October 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks, redcelticcurls and inty! Inty, when you say you have a "rounded" hemline, do you mean a U shape?

Yes. Sorry I'm still struggling with terminology :)

Pixna
October 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks, Ryanne and RedJen!

Inty, don't worry, it takes a while to get all this terminology down. I just wanted to be sure I was understanding you correctly. :D

RocketDog
October 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
My hair isn't all that long - APL when wet - but I think it looks best when I've got some layers and a bit of a fringe cut in. I have no body at the crown and too much at my hemline if I don't have some layers in there!

I do plan to maintain layers until I hit waist, and I'll see how things go from there. I don't like the look of blunt hemlines no matter what the hairtype is, and on curly/wavy hair I tend to prefer fairytale ends when it's past tailbone.

Kimberly
October 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I have a U hemline but a lot of taper. So my hair separates into very distinct spirals toward the bottom, but they form a U with a neat hemline. I used to feel I had to have a very full hemline but have come to realize that my hair moves well and looks best when moving around, which it does more with the hemline the way it is. Doesn't photograph as well as it looks for real or on video, though.

Pixna
October 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks, RocketDog and Kimberly! I like fairytale ends, too, RocketDog, especially on longer curly/wurly hair. I'd love to see a video of your hair Kimberly -- sounds lovely!

tsc
October 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
I had a deep-v with long layers *forever* that I recently cut into a shallow v. It evened up the layers, and made for a much more blunt, less-tapery hemline. I liked the look of the deep-v, but the 'taper' caused by the layers sucked when braided, which is 90% of the time.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2037&pictureid=51686

^ is post trim, and a pretty representative shot of the hemline. Except it's symmetrical and I was standing weird, honest! In my sig is before.

Anywhere
October 2nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
I have my hair cut in full feathered layers. It seems to take the blunt out of the ends and gives my hair a cute style while it grows out. I have read where many on here are against getting hair cut in layers. I don't see anything wrong with it. Once my hair gets to a certain length, then I may quit layering it, but for now, it works great for me.

I hate my layers, since my hair gets incredibly curly and voluminous when its short. and my hairdresser cut three layers. One at chin, one at shoulder, and left my longest at bra strap length.
It looks terrible when I don't straighten it, I get a normal amount of volume at the roots, a huge poof between my shoulders/chin, and then tapered ends. It looks like I have a diamond head. :(

prittykitty
October 3rd, 2009, 01:43 AM
I hate my layers, since my hair gets incredibly curly and voluminous when its short. and my hairdresser cut three layers. One at chin, one at shoulder, and left my longest at bra strap length.
It looks terrible when I don't straighten it, I get a normal amount of volume at the roots, a huge poof between my shoulders/chin, and then tapered ends. It looks like I have a diamond head. :(
Have you tried a gel of some type to give the curls some hold? I am trying different things on my hair to get my curls to behave more. I do understand the thing about how your hair only looks good when you straighten it. Mine is the same and I shouldn't but I do still straighten mine. If I don't have layers, then I have what looks like a short curly bob that sticks out everywhere and I can't do anything with it. Layers are the only thing for me that takes that bob look away. I like to use heavy conditioners and leave ins, especially in the back to weigh down the curls. I also use coconut oil which helps a lot. I am thinking of trying that Bedhead gel. I hear it works great to control curls and it doesn't cause build up. I want a wash and go style. Maybe one that I can put gel in and pick it to give it style and go. I need a firm but gentle in the hair kind of gel though. The layers is what will give it that shag kind of style.

jesamyn
October 3rd, 2009, 02:41 AM
Have you tried AVG as a styling gel? After I moved from the desert to the Pacific NW, it's become the only thing I've found that will hold my hair all day without frizzing out nor being too crunchy if I want to wear my hair down.

Kimberly
October 3rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks, RocketDog and Kimberly! I like fairytale ends, too, RocketDog, especially on longer curly/wurly hair. I'd love to see a video of your hair Kimberly -- sounds lovely!

Thanks, Pixna! I can't post pics because I've been needing to replace my camera, and last night I was unable to resist ordering a Hanssen Studios stick, so it'll be a while longer before I get around to buying a camera. :)

Kimberly
October 3rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
tsc, your hairline is really cool!

curls2grow
October 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
My hemline is blunt, cut straight across when wet with a very slight rounding of the corners in front. But you would never know that based on how the hemline changes when it shrinks up and curls. I don't self-trim, except for my "tail" center piece in back that doesn't curl; when it's cut even with the rest of the hair in back, it hangs inches longer when dry.

Pixna
October 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
tsc and curls2grow, your hair and curls are FABULOUS!!! Thank you for your replies.

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
My hemline is cut in a blunt cut with super long layers (I am growing them out) however it takes on a V shape due to my hair type.. I'm not loving it so much but I am pretty sure its the layers.. I have it professionally trimmed when wet every few months

prittykitty
October 4th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Have you tried AVG as a styling gel? After I moved from the desert to the Pacific NW, it's become the only thing I've found that will hold my hair all day without frizzing out nor being too crunchy if I want to wear my hair down.
I have tried AVG and it was not strong enough to control my curls.

curls2grow
October 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I have tried AVG and it was not strong enough to control my curls.I use it to revive my curls at the ends. Sometimes the curls will get stringy or frizzy at the end of the day and little AVG on the ends + scrunching helps before I go out again at night.

Starr
October 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I prefer my hemline in a deep v, slightly round at the bottom- it keeps the triangle head at bay.

Niphredil
October 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I have something similar. When shorter (until about APL) I NEED layers to prevent sporting the dreaded pyramid-head. It sits quite flat on top with all volume in the ends. I like soft, non-blunt hemlines on almost all non-straight hairtypes, although there are a few exeptions, mostly on extreme long lengths (past tailbone or classic).

I prefer natural taper/fairytales to blunt hemlines but the taper shouldn't be too obvious either.

Pixna: I really think a U shape with some long layers (nothing drastic, just remove some of the horizontal volume) will really help encourage your wurly/curly-ness and look more natural and less strict.

Pixna
October 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks, CherrySprinkle and Starr! Cherry, your hair color is incredible!! And, Starr, I know I've said it before, but it's worth repeating -- your curls are stunning!!

klcqtee
October 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Your hair seems like mine, my hair has grown into a U pointy shape (somewhere between U and V), that I really like. On my straight days, it looks a little odd, but I still have enough body in my hair it's not terribly noticeable, and on my wurly days, it looks fairly even.

Margeaux
October 4th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I used to have a blunt hemline, but got it cut into a U-shape once I hit APL. See my siggie below :) I wouldn't have it any other way now - this feels so much better (lighter!) than blunt and I think my curl pattern looks nicer.

Pixna
October 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
klcqtee, your hemline looks terrific! I can only HOPE that mine will grow into a similar shape (like yours) naturally. Margeaux, the curls in your siggy pic are breathtaking! If my hair doesn't grow into a U-shaped hemline on its own, I might have to trim it that way once I hit APL, like you did. How long did it take you to get from SL to APL?

Niphredil, thank you for your suggestions. I agree with your comments on hemlines -- those are my preferences as well. I think my hair will look much better once I can soften the hemline into a U or V (when I get a tad more length). I will have to think long and hard about long layers, though, as layers (after a pixie) still give me the heebie-jeebies. :couch:

lookingglass
October 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Mine is somewhere between U and fairytale...

23_seconds
October 4th, 2009, 07:57 PM
||||||||||