PDA

View Full Version : How long to brush or comb?

Shanarana
October 1st, 2009, 07:37 AM
I was wondering how long it takes people to comb or brush their hair. Mostly interested in those with classic. Do you comb wet or dry?

I myself comb my hair very gently after washing while wet....if I let it dry I get so many tangles and more damage than if I comb it wet. It usually takes me about 15 min. to get through it all.

thunderlilies
October 1st, 2009, 08:05 AM
My hair is about 3 inches short of classic... and it takes me about 10-15 minutes to comb it out after a wash (combed wet) and probably 5 or so minutes on a regular day (when hair is dry).

Eboshi
October 1st, 2009, 08:08 AM
If I've slept with it loose then it takes about 10 minutes to detangle in the morning. I'm a restless sleeper :o. When wet/freshly washed though it is about 3-4 minutes as I detangle before washing and the conditioner makes the comb glide through easily afterwards.

JamieLeigh
October 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
I wait until fully dry nowadays, before I comb. I'm at a bit past classic, and it takes me, at the absolute most, five minutes. I don't get tangles, usually. But I'm CO - I don't use shampoo, unless I'm clarifying which is once a month or less. :)

GlassEyes
October 1st, 2009, 08:52 AM
I comb WHILE I'm washing--CO wash, of course, and it takes a few minutes, maybe two or three tops. Sometimes I do it twice to spread conditioner, but that is all.

LittleOrca
October 1st, 2009, 08:53 AM
I comb when it's dry for the most part and that takes less than 5 minutes. I have combed my hair when it's wet before and when I do that it takes more like 10-15 minutes because I am going slower and making sure to be gentle.

wavywords
October 1st, 2009, 08:56 AM
My hair is wavy/curly, so I only comb (with a gentle wide-tooth comb) when I have conditioner in my hair. If I comb dry, it damages my hair and turns me into a big ball of frizz!

Shanarana
October 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
My hair is wavy/curly, so I only comb (with a gentle wide-tooth comb) when I have conditioner in my hair. If I comb dry, it damages my hair and turns me into a big ball of frizz!

I hear ya there...that's why I comb wet, than scrunch.

Tresses
October 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
It takes me at most just a few minutes to comb out, either wet or dry. I brush my hair with a Denman D5 only if I'm putting it up, but I comb it first. I use an MP all BBB to brush at night after detangling with a comb, maybe 6 strokes with the MP per side, then I put my hair behind me and brush down the back of my head a few times. This, obviously only takes a few minutes as well.

eadwine
October 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Normally about 30 seconds to a minute, after a wash when it is totally dry maybe 2 or 3.

TheEndlessOcean
October 1st, 2009, 01:41 PM
I detangle my hair with my fingers while I'm in the shower and it has conditioner in it. I spend two or three minutes getting out most of the tangles, and then I do a rinse and the rest of them seem to take care of themselves :). After that I don't run anything through my hair until the next shower.

Paliele
October 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM
I only comb when wet, brush when dry. Both take me less than a minute, but I'm only APL.

rhubarbarin
October 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
30 seconds to a minute, only on wash days (wet conditioned hair). I just run my fingers down the length, make sure all the hair is going running the same way, then pull out any sheds. My hair doesn't really tangle.

eternallyverdan
October 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM
I"m just past classic and I only comb my hair when it's dry. It takes me almost exactly five minutes, maybe as much as ten if I've been wearing it down all day.

julya
October 10th, 2009, 09:12 PM
It takes me about 30 minutes to comb if it has been up all day, longer if it was in a braid.

Quixii
October 10th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Same here. It takes me a couple minutes (2-3?), more if I have an annoying tangle or if I've been swimming that day (which results in many annoying tangles). When I brush my hair (only when soaking, now), it takes maybe five minutes.

Finoriel
October 11th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I´m almost at knee length and it takes me 1 or 2 minutes to comb it. My hair isn´t tangly in general and it does not have much opportunity to tangle anyways since I´m wearing it either braided or in a bun. I comb when I´m switching from nightbraid to day-updo and again in the evening when taking my hair down to braid it for the night.
I never comb it wet. My hair is quite unmanageable when wet and it would take ages to comb and still snag and overstretch a lot of hairs. I handle wet and damp hair as little as possible.

xgwyllgix
October 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I only comb my mid-thigh hair dry, or very slightly damp if I have absolutely no other choice. It tends to be very slippery, so I'll spend maybe a minute, tops, combing out the tangles, just using a wood comb. It takes me a little longer when I'm oiling my hair, as I'll go over it again with a brush, but even then it never takes me more than a couple of minutes.

dukkelisa
October 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I finger comb when partially dry, I take a lot of time with this, maybe 20 minutes? Obviously I don't wash my hair on a busy day. Each morning I take out my braid and brush it gently, just enough to get my hair ready to braid again. I am at tailbone length and it is getting harder to manage, even something as simple as brushing.