PDA

View Full Version : Hair in wintercold

maaria
October 1st, 2009, 04:44 AM
Do you have any tip for how to handle your beautiful hair in wintertime!!?
My hair always get so electric and flat:(
Oiling more often or?
Maybe I can find a thread in here somewhere or?:hmm:

missfortune9335
October 1st, 2009, 05:53 AM
I'll be interested to hear about this too :) I've only started here a couple of months ago I've never really given much thought before to what kind of extra care hair needs in the winter

maaria
October 1st, 2009, 06:04 AM
Yes it will be very interesting to read the good advises:p

Katze
October 1st, 2009, 07:00 AM
I think interesting braids look cute under winter hats, and I have also used hats to help my hair get fuller looking and wavier (pile hair on top of head as with plopping, put on hat, go).

Compared to some places on earth it is not super cold here but it is very dark and wet and grey. I ride my bike in all weather, so I have to plan for hair that works under hats and hoods. Unfortunately for me my hair gets very messy very fast so I end up wearing a lot more braids in winter.

maaria
October 1st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Okej, that one was good:)I live in sweden and here it can be -0 to-15 sometimes so our hair have to be protect! Hmm, that I have not think about earlier:o

Elvi
October 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM
Yes Here in Finland I need to go out below -20 celsius now and then in wintertime. Mostly I cover my head with some kind of knitwear so handsome hairs sticks are out of question as they stick to the cap. I have never during years noted damage to the hair from the the cold except hair getting faster greasy under the cap and hairstyles flatter for the same reason. .

I have read that that sunflower oil is next to mineral oils the most used oil in hair oil industry, and it has also got antifreeze properties. I will next winter prefer that for my hair ends when going out. Otherwise I like this oil for hair quite much, and the price is affordable.

redneckprincess
October 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM
I personally wear it up alot more in the winter...wierd I know more oilings..i dont get out much in the winter so that means more moisture and conditioning treatments...dont go outside with wet hair

Autumnberry
October 1st, 2009, 10:06 AM
I think interesting braids look cute under winter hats, and I have also used hats to help my hair get fuller looking and wavier (pile hair on top of head as with plopping, put on hat, go).

Compared to some places on earth it is not super cold here but it is very dark and wet and grey. I ride my bike in all weather, so I have to plan for hair that works under hats and hoods. Unfortunately for me my hair gets very messy very fast so I end up wearing a lot more braids in winter.

Braids under hats are a fantastic idea that I've never considered. That way the hair is protected--Thank you Katze!

ChloeDharma
October 2nd, 2009, 03:47 AM
I do tend to oil a bit more in winter, more heavy oilings which this summer i've neglected a bit. I also keep it up more too.....when i say up i mean bunned as opposed to thrown back into a ponytail.
I also tend to use oils other than coconut more as waiting for the solid oils to melt can get boring, sesame and sweet almond i find especially good in winter.

Krusedull
October 2nd, 2009, 04:00 AM
I'm taking notes, as the cold winter is approaching... I wear my hair up a lot - use large clips to keep it in a "casual" hair-do, but that doesn't work well with hats, so I tend to not cover the hair unless it is very cold (-10 celsius or less)

Tornerose
October 2nd, 2009, 04:31 AM
*taking notes*

I've never really thought about it until now, i've had my hair loose etc...

Fethenwen
October 2nd, 2009, 04:36 AM
Agh, my hair tends to get so static in wintertime. Now this winter I surely will do something about it! Last winter I was not an LHC member yet so :)

I guess protecting it with a hat and adding extra moisture should help. Maybe less shampooing. Oil treatments + a warmed up beanie hat over night should do the trick too :cloud9:

Gabriel
October 2nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
I definitely oil my ends more in the winter too. I keep my hair in a bun whenever I go outside and I'm not really a hat wearer but if it's super cold I will wear one. I try to never go outside with my hair down in the cold because there will always be that one gust of wind that just tosses my hair around without mercy.

The past few winters I always wear a scarf to protect my neck and lungs. I use an extra long and wide scarf and pull it up over my hair and ears if I step outside and find it cold and windy.

I don't get a lot of static, but where I live can get very dry sometimes so I use a humidifier in doors.

Longlocks3
October 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Ugh, let's not talk about winter yet!

I've found since I've changed my hair routine my hair has less static so that's one thing I hope to avoid this winter.

I will probably do lots of braids put up on my head and I already have a soft, not coarse, scarf to cover my head/neck.

butterflycayton
October 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Well here in the windy planet, I have lots of static if I don't use tons of conditioner. I will try oiling this winter and see if that will help. I also take a spray bottle and put a little dab of fabric softner and the rest water and spray that on my hair which helps alot. I hope the softner is not too bad for my hair.

Elbereth
October 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Another Finn here.

I oil and condition my hair a bit more when it is winter. When going out, I always make sure to wear something warm on my head. I like updos so I don't mess with regular hats, but I wear warm scarves, cowls and even own a winter bonnet. I don't wear wool (or worse), acrylic next to my hair as it can create static. If I, say, want to wear a wool hat, I wear a small cotton kerchief under it.

With these little adjustments, static hasn't been a problem.

LittleOrca
October 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
I keep my hair up in the winter, unless I am inside and using my hair as an extra blanket. I got some leave-in conditioner by Sunsilk that is supposed to cut down on static for winter wear and I figured that with more oiling should help me survive winter.

dolcevita
October 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Well here in the windy planet, I have lots of static if I don't use tons of conditioner. I will try oiling this winter and see if that will help. I also take a spray bottle and put a little dab of fabric softner and the rest water and spray that on my hair which helps alot. I hope the softner is not too bad for my hair.

I bring a sheet of fabric softener with me and very lightly run it over my hair if there is a lot of static.

I've given up on stylish hair during our Canadian winters! I just worry about keeping warm and making sure my hair isn't whipping around my head in the cold air. I have 180s, those wraparound ear muff things that go around the back of your head, and they are great for ponytails and keeping your hair looking nice. On the really cold days, I wear a knit hat that covers as much of my head as possible, as well as even wrapping a thick pashmina scarf around my head like a middle eastern woman. My school is very multi-cultural and so is my city so it's not strange for me to walk around like that and best of all, I'm warm!!!!! :cheese:
I don't bother with anything other than braids, use a lot of deep conditioners, drink TONS more water, and just keep it covered.

Anje
October 2nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Generally, it's worth making sure hair gets a bit of extra moisturizing in the winter, since forced air heat is so dry. (Mine's a little weird -- it gets oily much faster in the winter. But the ends still need lots of protection.) Outside, it goes under a nice big stretchy hat, or under my coat to stay safe from the cold air. Small hairsticks actually seem to work under my hat, but nothing with a topper.

Amara
October 2nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
I almost always use the scarf I'm wearing to wrap around my head and cover my ears. I like really long scarves so I can wrap them every which way to keep my head nice and toasty while wrapping lightly around wherever my hair is. Works with any style. I guess It's more time-consuming than just plopping on a hat... but there's something nice and cozy about wrapping up in that scarf. :)

ShaSha
October 2nd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Elbereth, thanks on the tip of avoiding acrylic and wool. I never thought of not putting wool next to my hair.

I spend a lot of time outdoors and static hair is a problem when it's freezing. Sheabutter helped me last winter.

BlueWaterRed
October 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
I bring a sheet of fabric softener with me and very lightly run it over my hair if there is a lot of static.

I do this too and it works well. I keep a box of dryer sheets in my office desk drawer for both hair and clothes.

~GypsyCurls~
October 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm wondering what to do with mine. i use Kinky Curly Curling Custard, which works great for me but the one caveat is that it takes a while to dry. Wet hair + cold is not good, lol. I may experiment with conditioning at night and then doing something to refresh the curls in the morning when I get up.

swirlytresses
October 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
During winter, I do deep treatments more often and use a tad more oil in my hair. I also wear it up more. I definitely wear it up when I'm wearing fleece as it causes static. I love KCCC too because it's very moisturizing. I also use a thicker/more moisturizing conditioner in the winter. I'm not really a hat/scarf wearer but I may try that this winter. :)

Lamb
October 3rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I live in Canada, and winters are brutal, windy, and snowy here. I prefer to wear a shawl (hooded shawl, or a plain one) on my head - no "hathead" and I can cover most of my face with it too.

Bellona
October 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
I don't know if this is "long hair safe" (I used to do it before coming to this community) but to combat static I just run a dryer sheet over my hair. I've spent some winters in Maine/Canada, so that's what I used! Here the winters are milder, but rain is almost as bad as cold :)

Ursula
October 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
I generally wear my hair in a bun, and I knit a Caloriemetery (pattern at Knitty) to wear as a hat. It's a nice design that fits well and covers the top of your head and ears, but not your bun, so that it doesn't snag on hairsticks.

Nyghtingale
October 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
I use a dryer sheet too for the static. It works great.

Tangerine
October 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
I generally wear my hair in a bun, and I knit a Caloriemetery (pattern at Knitty) to wear as a hat. It's a nice design that fits well and covers the top of your head and ears, but not your bun, so that it doesn't snag on hairsticks.

This is great, Ursula. I've been meaning to knit myself something like this, so it is great to actually have a pattern for it! :)

RubyRose
October 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
I love hats of any kind! I think it's fun to find new ways to fix your hair with a hat. I also am using a lot of conditioners this winter.

Emichiee
October 3rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
Do you have any tip for how to handle your beautiful hair in wintertime!!?
My hair always get so electric and flat:(
Oiling more often or?
Maybe I can find a thread in here somewhere or?:hmm:

My hair is very happy in any climate...but I think washing less often can help with the electrostatic behaviour :p
You will get a better grip.
And maybe don't wear wool hats and such.
I wear a scarf around my head if its cold.

Paliele
October 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
I tend to be tempted to leave my hair down more in winter--to keep my neck warm. I recently knitted a hat that's split up the back for a ponytail or bun--similar to this one (http://img2.blogcu.com/images/a/y/s/aysebayram/knit-ponytail-hat.jpg)--and I'm excited to use it this winter.

Debra83
October 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
I make sure my coat is rubbing against my hair by putting a pashmina over my shoulders and hair under my coat - if it's really cold I try to always wear a hat, and will sometimes bun it under the hat and make sure it is all covered, but not put a holder, just keep it in place with the hat. We had many days at - 40 c last year - so I'm getting good at figuring out the tricks.

Also I started using pantene's winter line last winter - just for winter - to counteract the cold and heat from being inside. I got through it pretty good, and my hair grew quite a bit over the winter.

Friesian Horse
October 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Last winter I had a big ear-flap hat (trapper style) that had fake fur lining. I put my hair up in a pony tail using a mini-scrunchy. I pulled it all the way through the band twice and on the third twist I only pulled the hair halfway through. It all fit under the hat and didn't get exposed to the cold.

Though this winter I might try more braids now that my hair's a bit longer.

Aer
October 3rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
Oiling more in the winter definitely helps me. Also, I try to wash my hair less.

maaria
October 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Thanx every one for your good tip:p now I know how to protect my poor hair when winter comes here in sweden ;)