PDA

View Full Version : Confused and need a little insight

whiteisle
September 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM
The question is: Go natural or go conventional?

Natural
Pros: mostly worry-free concerning what's actually being put on my hair/body i.e. no harsh or dangerous chemicals (poo bars and WO)
Cons: doesn't give me the result I like i.e. feel and look of my hair

Conventional
Pros: makes my hair look and feel pretty darn good and it's easy to obtain
Cons: full of harsh/dangerous/questionable ingredients

So basically I'm having an ongoing wrestling match with what to use for my hair and it's starting to frustrate me. I want my hair long and I also want to be able to enjoy my hair, too. I don't want it long and ugly (in my eyes) but I also don't want to be paying a high price (my health) for the sake of hair either.

I'd love to hear some opinons/thoughts on the matter as it applies to you. It might help me to sort out my thoughts and decisions. Thanks! :)

Das Siechtum
September 30th, 2009, 07:01 PM
From my own experience, I went all natural. Since then, my hair improved alot and my scalp itching almost vanished. Its all about try and error in the end. :-) Do what you are most comfortable with.

kwaniesiam
September 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I'm struggling with the same thing myself. Right now, I use soapnuts and shikakai to wash my hair, and occasionally some natural cone free conditioner, like Burt's Bees. I also use CV poo bars sometimes. Thing is, my hair looks and feels WAY better when I use conventional hair products, sometimes even (*gasp*) CONES!

Unfortunately, my scalp is less than happy with sulfates and silicone laden products and my hair seems overall healthier and thicker even if it doesn't immediately look and feel better with the natural products. Besides, on a good day a heavy oiling and vinegar rinse can bring out just as much shine as a coney conditioner. Henna does that too, and there's no contest for henna vs. chemical coloring for me.

My solution is an easy one, care for your hair the way it wants to be cared for, and occasionally do something different if you feel like it. Use regular products, blowdry, flat iron, curl, whatever now and then. Why grow and maintain long hair if you don't get to enjoy it sometimes? I hope that helped, I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say!

Roseate
September 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Have you experimented with other natural cleansing methods, like soapnuts and Indian herbs?

I mean, ideally you wouldn't have to choose between natural methods and good hair, and if the ingredients in your conventional products are really worrying you it's probably worth your time to experiment until you find a natural method that does work.

Maybe you've tried everything already, though, in which case you do have a dilemma. I guess in that situation I'd pick the least processed option that still gave me good hair, maybe a commercial organic product. If I'm going to have long hair, it's got to be nice.

Runzel
September 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM
The bottom line for me is that my body's health takes precedence over my hair, since my bod is alive and my hair is not. :rolleyes:

It helps that after a few years you begin to forget what you hair looks like with the conventional stuff in it.

I've actually found some conventional conditioner that I can customize the ingredients on and buy in bulk, so there are some halfway points to consider as well.

clairenewcastle
September 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Everyone's hair will react differently to different products and only by experimenting will you be able to decide what is best for you.
However, there is a very large percentage of people on this site with amazing hair who won't use conventional products - the vast array of alternative ways to wash and moisturize your hair is mind blowing. Try them all. I'm in the process of doing so.
I gave up using cones two years ago and have never regretted it.
Have fun experimenting.
Enjoy your hair.

mellie89
September 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I'd say definitely experiment! I thought I needed cones and crap to make my damaged hair look presentable, but since switching to cone-free Nature's Gate stuff, I actually have less frizz and my hair is nice and soft.

I think it's a pretty good compromise. There are some chemicals (the shampoo has sodium laureth sulfate, for example), but they are much gentler and my hair still looks and feels nice after.

adiapalic
September 30th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I recently made a complete change from conventional to more natural products.

I changed from Garnier Fructise Length & Strength shampoo to Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit shampoo (http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/hair-shampoos/super-shiny-grapefruit-sugar-beet-shampoo.html). This was an easy change, because the sulfates in GF dried my scalp out way too much.

The hard part was changing from Garnier Fructise Length & Strenth conditioner to something else. I tried Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit conditioner ... my hair tangled like crazy. I went back to GF L&S Conditioner for a long time. But I just couldn't stand the smell--it had strong overtones of a chemically, alcohol odor they attempted to cover up with chemical fragrances. It was also loaded with 'cones and parabens. However, it was the only conditioner I could then use that made my hair feel nice and tangle-free because of the "slip" it allowed.

Only months ago, I took a leap of faith and tried another conditioner. I first posted a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29005) asking about Aubrey Organics. A lot of people suggested Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=351).

So I tried it and have been using it since July with wonderful results. Not only does my hair feel better than before, but the aroma is absolutely delicious. I had to adjust my routine a bit because of the effectiveness of the conditioner. (went from CWC to S&C).

Everyone's hair responds differently to various products, I just thought I would share my experience with switching from Conventional -> Natural.

I linked to the products I now use with much success. HTH some :) :flower:

Aer
October 1st, 2009, 12:27 AM
I vote for natural, it's a little bit more risk free. But do what makes you feel good about yourself, sometimes conventional works better for some. I go natural as much as I can, but my mama has no luck with natural products, she sticks to conventional products, and it works out great for her, and so far no bad effects on her health or her hair.

Maddy25
October 1st, 2009, 06:18 AM
I vote natural as well, I was always a cone head and I loved hairspray and flat irons and all that for ever. But once I joined here I switched to natural shampoo and conditioner and I dont use any styling products except aloe for my hair and it has made such a difference! It is softer and bouncier and shiney now. I decided to try going back to my coney products and serums as a test to see if it made a difference and it sure did. My hair felt heavy and weighed down and it didnt wave nicely at all.

JamieLeigh
October 1st, 2009, 09:09 AM
If your hair isn't liking the natural ingredients right at first, don't worry. It needs an adjustment period, and when your hair gets used to it, it will look and feel much better. AND you won't be worrying about harsh ingredients. :D

BeatlesFanGirl
October 2nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
As for me, I'm all natural, (sls-free, cone-free, oiling, blowdrying with room-temperature) and I find it much better, my hair looks better like that. I'm also natural in all other pruducts, skin care, shower gels, make-up, and nutrition too.

taliarose
October 2nd, 2009, 06:10 AM
I've switched to CV poo bars and no conditioner. Just a light oiling after my hair is almost dry. It took about two months for my hair to adjust but I'd never go back to comercial products. My wavey hair isn't as heavy and I'm not having as much breakage. I'm still experimenting with the best poo bar. But it's a fun experiment. :laugh:

Ultimately you need to do what you feel is best. Just remember it's supported no matter what it is and there are a bunch of people who've gone through the same thing here. :puppykisses: