PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I'm in hair disTress!

mbaker223
September 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Maggie, and I'm basically a red shirt freshman here :) I've always lurked in here getting great info and trying new things you all have suggest. But! After trying everything I can think of and everything I can find here... I just can't solve my problem.

I've tried oils, I've tried every poo and conditioner under the sun, I've tried CO, WO, and Sebum only... and none of it works for me. I wear a sleeping cap, satin pillow case etc. etc. I wear it up, but the moment I let it down even to put it back up again. It TANGLES!

I have VERY THICK minimally wavy hair, and I swim in salt and chlorinated water everyday (at my gym). And these tangles are just reeking havoc on my hair, I have these horrid bends and split ends, and I know it's the tangles, that cause it.

If anyone has any technique or product or anything that they can suggest to help me get rid of these horrid tangles I would REALLY be forever grateful! Thank you so much!

Mutinous
September 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Have you tried wearing a cap in the swimming pool? Chlorine and salt water wrecked my hair when I went on holiday, so that may be contributing to your problems, especially if you do it everyday! I'm sure you could get a waterproof cap pretty cheaply :)

Dolly
September 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Maggie, and I'm basically a red shirt freshman here :) I've always lurked in here getting great info and trying new things you all have suggest. But! After trying everything I can think of and everything I can find here... I just can't solve my problem.

I've tried oils, I've tried every poo and conditioner under the sun, I've tried CO, WO, and Sebum only... and none of it works for me. I wear a sleeping cap, satin pillow case etc. etc. I wear it up, but the moment I let it down even to put it back up again. It TANGLES!

I have VERY THICK minimally wavy hair, and I swim in salt and chlorinated water everyday (at my gym). And these tangles are just reeking havoc on my hair, I have these horrid bends and split ends, and I know it's the tangles, that cause it.

If anyone has any technique or product or anything that they can suggest to help me get rid of these horrid tangles I would REALLY be forever grateful! Thank you so much!

Have you tried clarifying? My hair is straight, but when it starts getting build up, it starts tangly and getting all velcro-like. Clarify and then use a good moisturising conditioner. See if that solves the issue.

Alia
September 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Have you tried wearing a cap in the swimming pool? Chlorine and salt water wrecked my hair when I went on holiday, so that may be contributing to your problems, especially if you do it everyday! I'm sure you could get a waterproof cap pretty cheaply :)

This. Also, you could lightly coat your hair with conditioner or oil before donning your cap.:)

TheEndlessOcean
September 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Yes, definitely protect your hair from the pool and try clarifying if you haven't.

kwaniesiam
September 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Definitely oil your hair and then saturate it in water before going swimming. Maybe braiding it when tangle free if you can't cap it will also help. Welcome to LHC! :flowers:

Also, LittleOrca swims frequently and she has gorgeous tailbone length hair, maybe she'll pop by and offer some insight :)

bigevilgrape
September 30th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Swim caps are a requirment for me for swimming. Not only is it the best way to keep the hair out of your eyes it keeps a lot of water out too. When I swim with a cap 80% or more of my hair stays dry. Spedo even makes caps for people with long hair... in case you can't fit your hair into a regluar cap.

And I (as always) feel obligated to say if you are going to condition or oil before getting in a pool wear a silcone or latex cap. That stuff is bad for the filters and offensive to other swimmers.

Ally<3
October 1st, 2009, 03:01 AM
I would definitely be wearing a swimming cap as that water can eat away at your hair. Other things you can do is coat your hair in shea butter as it creates a barrier, and soak your hair in fresh water before you go in. I have also read that the get the cholrine out after, you rinse your head in soda water.

embee
October 1st, 2009, 05:50 AM
Wear a cap. Spend to get a good one. I remember as a young teen, swimming every day at the pool - my hair was like straw from chlorine and sun, and it tangled if I even looked at it, broke off when I combed, all that bad stuff.

Consider a top knot and then a swim cap over that. You for sure want that water away from your hair.

Such a nuisance, but there you go. Be aware that it would wreck your hair if your hair were short also, you might just not notice it the same way.