PDA

View Full Version : Spider In My Hair

Snowymoon
April 19th, 2008, 06:18 AM
:shocked:

shudder:

:scared:

My nightmare just occurred yesterday. I was sitting at the kitchen table, when I became aware out of the corner of my eye that a young wolf spider (http://images.google.com/images?q=wolf+spider&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi) was dropping down out of my hair just beside my right temple. It then scrambled back up into my hair. :blueeek:

I had to do the freak-out dance while swiping at my bun. Said spider fell out, and then I caught him/her under a cup. I felt bad later on, but I admit to you that in my moment of terror, the battle ended in total spider FATALITY. :demon:

I figure it must have hopped up on my pants leg when I was walking outside earlier and climbed up my back to get into my hair. I have no idea what shenanigans it was up to in my bun before it made its appearance.

AKKK!

florenonite
April 19th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Wow, I'd hate to find a spider in my hair! And then, of course, I feel bad for such thoughts as they're only spiders and, as I used to be told 'are probably more afraid of you than you are of them'.

Faepirate
April 19th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Hahahaha... oh... I have a wonderful mental vision now. Thank you ;)

This has happened to me once before. I go ballistic in these sorts of situations - the quiet girl becomes a screeching monster.

Poor spider, though. Alas.

EDIT:
I had written little spider, but it then occurred to me after a quick look at that link that it may not have been little at all....!
How big WAS it? o_O
I'm so glad I live in the UK where spiders are REASONABLY SIZED. *gulp*

Snowymoon
April 19th, 2008, 06:44 AM
It was a young one, thank goodness, so it was not that big--about dime-sized, perhaps? Poor spider. I did feel bad after the fact. I usually move them outside. ;)

We have an abundance of wolf spiders, though. Really, they are everywhere. I noticed them increasing in population late summer, and this spring, they have been seen all over the outside of the house on the siding. It is not unusual for me to end up with one on my foot or shoe when outside in the yard now, so now I always wear shoes (used to go barefoot 99.9% of the time).

I have no idea why it is suddenly such a spider utopia here other than the fact that they were drinking up the pool water when we had the pool up last year. :shrug:

rosieposie
April 19th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Aww, poor you (and poor spider). I can really sympathise with you on this one. A few years ago I had a spider fall into my left eye. Heck, did I freak out??!! I was helping my cousin clean his garden shed at the time, and I yelled so loudly that his neighbour came running. I can still see the body and all those dangly legs. Poor spider died on that occassion too.

hrimfaxi
April 19th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Well, at least you DID find the spider after it went back up...!

Sarahmoon
April 19th, 2008, 06:51 AM
It can be a lot worse. I once felt something itching on my head when I walked under a tree, so grabbed whatever it was from my head, asuming it would be a leaf or whatever, but it was a living wasp! That could have been a lot more painful than finding a spider.
Fortunately I released it before it stung me.

jojo
April 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
aww i like spiders but i can understand people being afraid of them. The little guy was probably giving you a good old head massage with his little feet running over your scalp!!!

ChloeDharma
April 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I can't describe how itchy and jumpy i am now!!!

eresh
April 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Eeeewwww I got the chills even by reading the topic title alone.
Brrrrrrr nasty.

One time I put on my jacket, with buttons and zipper, closed it, looked over my shoulder...a big big black hairy spider AAAHHH
No time to take the jacket off as I was afraid it would crawl into my neck...I dropped onto the floor and rolled (good thing no one saw me :-s)
Spider was gone, flat.
I get real panic attacks when it comes to spiders :-(

Magsi
April 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I am very afraid of spiders. When I see one in my bedroom, I go sleep on the couch. I have a spider phobia so you can imagine that if that happened to me, I'd freak and possibly faint. I fainted once when I almost touched a doorbell that had a huge spider on it. Ugghhhh!

Elfling
April 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
oh my, haha! I would've FREAKED out, and I love wolf spiders.

Carolyn
April 19th, 2008, 07:43 AM
:shocked: and :scared:here too. Poor Snowy! I'd be doing the dance too if I saw a spider in my hair. And he'd be dead when I was done! I'll take a Daddy Long Legs outside but regular old spiders are goners. I've had horrible reactions to what I think were spider bites.

Peggy E.
April 19th, 2008, 08:15 AM
:shocked:

shudder:

My nightmare just occurred yesterday. I was sitting at the kitchen table, when I became aware out of the corner of my eye that a young wolf spider (http://images.google.com/images?q=wolf+spider&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi) was dropping down out of my hair just beside my right temple. It then scrambled back up into my hair. :blueeek:

I had to do the freak-out dance while swiping at my bun. Said spider fell out, and then I caught him/her under a cup. I felt bad later on, but I admit to you that in my moment of terror, the battle ended in total spider FATALITY. :demon:

I figure it must have hopped up on my pants leg when I was walking outside earlier and climbed up my back to get into my hair. I have no idea what shenanigans it was up to in my bun before it made its appearance.

AKKK!

Are you in Austalia, by any chance?! There's a spider-related thread on the Friendship board and it sounds like the spider version of the movie "The Birds" - enough to keep me away from Australia, for sure! (Not like I could ever GET to Australia, anyway, but at least I can stop regretting the experience, knowing I will be avoiding the obvious center of the spider universe....)

That was an evil spider and it was up to no good. It was also a stupid spider and its genes are well rid from the spider gene pool. If there was a "Darwin Awards" for spiders, this one would be on the list. (The Australian Huntsman on the keyboard is up there, too.....)

Loviatar
April 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM
AUGH! I feel your pain, Snowy. I once threw a wokful of chopped veggies across the kitchen (didn't mean to - just instinctive!) when a wolf spider dropped on my cleavage from the ceiling. Maybe it wanted some chopped peppers...

As for the spider fatality, you say you caught it in a cup? My friend Bill tried to catch a moth in a glass once. Unfortunately the moth was on the ceiling and he had the glass upside down... *squish*

Arianwen
April 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'd have a cow if there was a spider in my hair. When I was a kid, walking to school, I walked under a tree and felt something touch my head. I reached up and there was (what seemed to be) a ginormous spider on my hair. I WIGGED OUT!!!!111

Two nights ago I had finished a crapload of housework and was in the bathroom. I looked toward the door and saw something large, brown and fuzzy sitting there. I didn't have my glasses on (near sighted) so I was hoping it was a big piece of lint or dog hair or ??? but I had just finished vacuuming, lol. I had to go past it and I realized it was a huge wolf spider. I went and found the yellow pages phone book and...well you can guess the rest. I hate killing spiders but I'm arachnophobic and if HIB isn't here to catch and release the little buggers outside they're pretty well doomed. :(

freznow
April 19th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Ickk when we were moving, there was a rather large spider thing in my hair. It freaked me out so much, and I was paranoid for the rest of the trip (I mean, we were in the car!) that something was back there, that I didn't get it... Scaryyyy

Kittee
April 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Ahhhh! You poor dear!!

Lucky for me...my cats seem to find and dispatch the buggers in my house! I did have to battle a wasp the other day though. Thank goodness for hairspray.

Miss Murphy
April 19th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Oh my, you people are really killing me! First Alley Cat and the hunting spider on the keyboard, now the wolf spider in the hair. shudder:

And I really love the term "freak-out dance" :misskim: I shall use that too from now on!

Lixie
April 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Oh my. :shocked: What a random and unpleasant experience for you!

eadwine
April 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Eek!!

I am NOT afraid of spiders.. as long as they do not jump or crawl on me.

The wee ones can do that but those big black hairy things better stay away! :lol:

AJoifulNoise
April 19th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I completely freak when I find a spider on me. I have a rule with spiders. As long as they don't startle me, they can live. If they startle me, I can't be held accountable for my actions.

Koala Kim
April 19th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Is it gone yet? :couch:

Countrymouse
April 19th, 2008, 10:19 AM
:scared: Eeek!!! I would have done a freak-out dance too! Spiders are fine outside but if one gets in the house it's open season.

CurlyOne
April 19th, 2008, 10:50 AM
:run::shocked: I think I would have hit the celling with that! Normally I am okay with them as long as they aren't in the house, but finding one in your hair! That's too much!

lavenderblue
April 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM
oh my....:rolleyes: that's really a nightmare!!! those are so scary, I would totally freak out if it would happen to me! shiver! was it a big one?

Apeldille
April 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM
That must have been scary! Poor spider, though.

I love spiders, but I wouldn't want one of them in my hair. On second thought, I love all animals as long they aren't in my hair :D

Though once a small bird fell down from a tree and landed on my bun. I think I actually have a photo of it somewhere :ponder:

bugeyedmonster2
April 19th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Ooo... I've got a "bug in hair" freak-out story. I used to ride my bicycle quite a bit. One nice hot summer day, I came home and started combing out my hair only to find 3 TICKS climbing up my length! :shocked: *play psycho music*

(^_^)/
BEM

Moezland
April 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I can't describe how itchy and jumpy i am now!!!

LOL!! I feel the same way now:D!! I actually like spiders too, but i like it when i can see them, not when they are crawling on me and especially not in my hair - YIKES!!! Now, I've got the heebee-geebees big time:eek:.

Nevermore
April 19th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Ack. I hate spiders. Truly. Hate. They creep me out so much.

I, too, have a bug in the hair story. I had just washed my hair and I was walking down the hallway in my old house and I felt something on my head that sort of pinched/scratched, but I thought it was just a stray group of hairs (you know how it feels funny when your left-side-of-the-part-hair goes to the right side? Yeah, that), so I reached up to fix it and felt a BEETLE in my hair! Cue "freak out dance", frantic clawing thru my hair, the beetle biting/pinching my finger and finally flying to sit on the ceiling staring banefully down at me and my innocent hair.

On the subject of spiders however, I live in Florida and we have spiders of uh...unusual size. I was sitting in the dark typing on this very computer a couple months back when I saw a horror movie-sized spider descend from the ceiling onto the side of my keyboard. I practically threw the comp up on the table, turned on the lights to find...no spider. To this day, I don't know where it went and I still think of its horrible silhouette as it crept closer and closer to my busily typing fingers.

busnutmedic
April 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM
LOL! Aw, I'm glad it wasn't a real nasty spider.

I'm not too scared of spiders and bugs in general (I used to feed ants to the garden spider on my flowers! Probably mean, but I wanted to feed the spider to keep him there, lol) but when they startle me I am STARTLED!

Bonnie

Snowymoon
April 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM
aww i like spiders but i can understand people being afraid of them. The little guy was probably giving you a good old head massage with his little feet running over your scalp!!!

...Okay, that one put me on the guilt-trip bus fer sher. :lol: ... :o

A scalp massage with his little feet? :rollin: I need to watch more miniscule (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EknFC2ZjkvY) videos. They really help me to think of spiders (and other bugs in general) in a different, more positive way, mainly spiders. :lol:

(If you watch the video, notice the inside of the spider's brain sounds empty with a water-drip sound, LMAO.)

Snowymoon
April 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Are you in Austalia, by any chance?! ...

Nope, I am in the US. :)

Snowymoon
April 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Ickk when we were moving, there was a rather large spider thing in my hair. It freaked me out so much, and I was paranoid for the rest of the trip (I mean, we were in the car!) that something was back there, that I didn't get it... Scaryyyy

Oh, that reminds of an incident in our car once. I was driving, and daughter was riding in the passenger seat. She began to SCREAM at the top of her lungs. A spider was coming out of the top of the sun visor, and all you could see were the creepy legs poking out every now and then. We were on a stretch of highway with no place to pull over! :scared: She crawled into the back seat, but I was STUCK. I could not allow the situation to result in our fatality (:demon:), so I had to keep cool and stay in control. Lucky for us, the spider stayed in the visor until I got to a place to pull over and evict him/her from the vehicle. :blueeek:

WritingPrincess
April 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I would freak out if there was a spider in my hair, and usually I don't mind spiders. I'm much more afraid of millipedes.

LifeisAdventure
April 19th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Lol, if your freak-out-dance is anything like mine, I bet this looked hilarious!! :lol:
But still, little buggers in the hair have GOT to go. I am very outdoorsy and not too scared of spiders, but ANYTHING in my hair would make me go ballistic for sure! :scared:

Neorah
April 19th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Aaahhh!

I try to avoid killing bugs and spiders needlessly as well, but if I had a creepy-crawly partying in my hair, it would probably end in fatality as well! :lol:

zelah
April 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Oh, that reminds of an incident in our car once. I was driving, and daughter was riding in the passenger seat. She began to SCREAM at the top of her lungs. A spider was coming out of the top of the sun visor, and all you could see were the creepy legs poking out every now and then. We were on a stretch of highway with no place to pull over! :scared: She crawled into the back seat, but I was STUCK. I could not allow the situation to result in our fatality (:demon:), so I had to keep cool and stay in control. Lucky for us, the spider stayed in the visor until I got to a place to pull over and evict him/her from the vehicle. :blueeek:

Oh my, something similar happened to me, late at night while I was driving. I was in the last 6 hours of an 18 hour car ride by myself (driving midwest to east coast) and I noticed this spider start to crawl across the windshield. I figured, I'll just pull off the road and try to find him and get him out! By the time I actually had a spot to pull over, I couldn't find the little guy. It was so dark and he was about the same color as my dashboard. After 15 minutes of trying to find him i started to give up, got back in the car.. and bam! There he was staring me right in the face! I quickly excommunicated him from the car and was on my way.

There was another time I was running in the forest and my face went right through a web, spider ending up on my forehead. After my reflexes took over, I had one giant mess of spider right in the middle of my forehead... ewww.

Mely
April 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Well, I'm totally freaked out just from reading this thread. I absolutely HATE wolf spiders. I used to live in Vancouver where they have really big fat black wolf spiders. The can run VERY fast. shudder:

We have black widow spiders in my town. I've never seen one in the house or garden, but my son found one not far from our home, and brought it home in a jar I freaked out and made him get that thing out of the house right quick. He let it go evenrually, hopefully a long long way from our house and yard.

I'm going to go give my hair a thorough brushing and combing to make sure there are no creepy crawlies in it.

Jan in ID
April 19th, 2008, 02:13 PM
OK, I managed to read this whole thread, but I am totally creeped out! Spiders and I do not mix!

I think I have the winner of "freak-out dances" though..

It was the night before Thanksgiving (about 12 years ago), my turkey was in the oven, dd (who was a toddler then) was in the bed, dh was at a friends house and I had just put on my gown and was relaxing on the sofa to watch some tv..

I felt something on my upper arm, sort of like a little pinch, so I just sort of rubbed at the area, but it happened again..
so then I lifted the neck of my gown to look and see what was pinching me and...

OMG! I was a black widow spider!!! (as I am typing this my heart is racing and I have goosebumps! :rolleyes: )

I proceeded to rip off my gown and run around in nothing but my panties doing a "freak-out dance" and screaming! I woke up dd who started crying, callled my dh screaming and crying.
After a trip to the ER, everything was fine, even the turkey!

It was very traumatic! :(

We now laugh about it! :D

AJoifulNoise
April 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM
To this day, I don't know where it went and I still think of its horrible silhouette as it crept closer and closer to my busily typing fingers.

I had a spider sidle up to my face on my pillow once. Knee-jerk reaction: I swipped it toward the floor. And it disapeared. *shudder* That's been years ago, and I'm still paranoid about it.

I also just remembered that I got a spider in my hair once. I was in middle school. My friends and I decided to take a day and explore all the nooks and crannies of my hometown. This included the woods. We're walking around, having a grand old time, when I walk through a spider web. I hadn't seen the spider. Thought maybe it was just the web. I was brushing the webs off of my face and hair when I felt something move on top of my head. I flipped. Screamed. Started clawing at my head. I never did see the spider. But, I imagine he didn't make it out alive.

WritingPrincess
April 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Oh my, Jan in ID. I think you DO have the winner. That is... just :scared:. I think these two smilies are doing freak-out dances, especially Taz. :taz::couch:

kate46
April 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Many moons ago I too spied a spider in my hair, I was sat on the loo at the time so I had to do the freak-out dance with my pants round my ankles :o

Nevermore
April 19th, 2008, 03:22 PM
AJoifulNoise: ACK! ON YOUR PILLOW?! EEEEEP! Ok, done abusing the caps. Ackackackack. I'd DIE.

Jan in ID: Black widows scare me even more now!

lynnala
April 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
:shocked:I admit to you that in my moment of terror, the battle ended in total spider FATALITY. :demon:
When that happens to me (the fatality, not the spider in hair, although I did carry a grasshopper into my car once on my hair), anyway, whenever I have to, well, help a spider transcend to another plane, I say very loudly 'EVOLVE!';)

CurlyNinja
April 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
AIEEEEE

My mom always warned me that having tons of hair was an invitation for small animals nesting in it--I'll never tell her this story!!! :D

camillacamilla
April 19th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Oh my. I would have been screaming my head off and throwing a fit! Then I would have went and washed my hair to drown any other spiders that might be in there.

Patrycja
April 19th, 2008, 07:43 PM
oh ewwww I have never seen a wolf spider untill I stupidly clicked on that link.

Yeah-won't do that again when spiders are mentioned..

Nat242
April 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
When that happens to me (the fatality, not the spider in hair, although I did carry a grasshopper into my car once on my hair), anyway, whenever I have to, well, help a spider transcend to another plane, I say very loudly 'EVOLVE!';)

:misskim::rollin:

That's fantastic!! Mind if I borrow that, next time I attack a cockroach? EVOLVE, unspecialized arthropod! :p

-- Natalie

intothemist1999
April 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I have no idea what shenanigans it was up to in my bun before it made its appearance.

:D Well I hope he had fun since it was his last act! Check for little spidie beer cans and loose change.

intothemist1999
April 19th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I don't mind spiders at all and normally just take them outside, but once my friend (who is phobic) had a small spider on the back of her neck and told me to get it off. I freaked out. She didn't. I just don't want them ON me. Or anyone else, apparently! :)

Two spider experiences I've had: I left my coat on the kitchen chair overnight and when I went to put it on in the morning, I thought, "hmmm, the sleeve has been touching the floor. Summertime...really should check for a spider. Naaaah...."

That was my first mistake :)

As I put the coat on and flipped my hair out I could have sworn I saw something out the corner of my eye, on my shoulder. Naaaahh....

Then it SCURRIED!! shudder:
Big one, too!!

Second time my best friend (the one with the spider on her neck!) and I were at my parents cabin. In the summer we slept on the beds out on the porch. Every night we'd grab a coffee and go down to the dock and when we got back we'd set up our sleeping bags. For some reason we did that first this time, and I did have that nagging feeling in the back of head...

When we got back and I jumped into my sleeping bag I was lying on my side and I could feel a tickle on my arm. Naaahhhh. Then it shot up my arm!!!!shudder:shudder:

The fun part about this was that people would stroll up and down the road in front of our place in the evenings. The porch had a half-wall and we blocked the stairs so no one could see in.

So, spider shoots up my arm, I YELL and try to get out, which of course...I can't!!!shudder:shudder:shudder: The zipper was stuck! Of course! So I'm hollering, "help! Help!" it's dark, people in front of the house can't see what going on and I'm shouting, "GET ME OUT OF HERE!! GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!"

Finally got the stupid zipper down and flew out of the bag, and as I stood up I could see a small crowd of people standing there staring at the cabin! :o

MoonSong
April 19th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Well, at least you DID find the spider after it went back up...!
Tell me about it! Several years ago, I was sitting in the living room and I saw something moving on me and it was a HUGE Scorpion. I got my husbands attention, trying my hardest not to move in case I made it mad, and he ran over to my rescue. Well my husband tried to brush it off only for the thing to fall into my shirt. I threw off ALL of my clothes, and we could never find the thing. Not on me, not in the house. It was very very weird and scary.

Still gives me the chills.

intothemist1999
April 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Why are all these stories creepy and hilarious at the same time??! :D

AmandaPanda
April 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Oh my gosh...those things are huge! I see them on the (out)side of my house at night during the warmer months, and I leave them alone since they aren't bothering me. I know just how you feel though.

Several years ago, I saw a large spider walking around on my bedroom walls, I just left it and turned out my lights. Well, while I was laying in bed I felt something scurry up my face and my lighting fast reflexes quickly sprang into action and I swatted whatever it was behind me and I guess it fell down between my head board and the wall.
I grabbed my pillow and comforter and I slept in the living room that night.

One summer I had a tick walking around on my forehead. It took me a while to realize what was tickling my forehead, but I thought it was my bangs at first. How it got there, I'll never know.

We get these cool looking black and yellow spiders that make zig-zags down the center of their web. They look cool but I won't go near them of course.
here it is: http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Yellow-Garden-Spider

Generally speaking, I don't mind insects, but I've seen these (fishfly) and they freak me out too: http://www.insectidentification.org/user/fishfly-picture.asp
That's about the actual size

I'm ok with millipedes, but centipedes freak me out, especially if I see one in the house

Snowymoon
April 20th, 2008, 09:15 AM
:D Well I hope he had fun since it was his last act! Check for little spidie beer cans and loose change.

:lol: I wonder if they sell beer in 8-packs in Spidey-land? Then he could have a beer for each, er, leg. ;)

:misskim:

Loviatar
April 20th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Ohhhh, Nightshade? I think we need you and your Clock Spider! :D

Snowymoon
April 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Oh no! Not the dreaded CLOCK SPIDER (http://www.fazed.org/blog/view/1/clock-spider/)!

:blueeek: :couch:

That thing really is the stuff nightmares are made of. shudder:

Was that the clock spider you were thinking of?

Jan in ID
April 20th, 2008, 04:50 PM
OK, I just had to look :ponder: OMG!!! :bigeyes:

I would have died! My heart is pounding from just looking at the picture! (through my fingers because my hands were over my face!)

If I had seen that they would have heard me screaming in the next state as I was hauling @ss out of there!

It is kind of sad how scared I am of these things. It amuses my family to no end :rolleyes:

Juanita
April 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
On a camping trip a few years ago with youngest daughter she said mum i'll druy the dishes for you are my shower. daughter was hoping I'd dry dishes while she was gone. Anyway not 2 minutes later she was back. Mum there's a giant spider in there. Sure enough a large Bird spider. She's terrified of spiders

Alley Cat
April 21st, 2008, 05:03 AM
Oh my, you people are really killing me! First Alley Cat and the hunting spider on the keyboard, now the wolf spider in the hair. shudder:

And I really love the term "freak-out dance" :misskim: I shall use that too from now on!

He he. 2 spider threads in one week not bad. ;)

Spiders are out to get us all. shudder:

honeybunch
April 21st, 2008, 06:49 AM
R u okay??? I'd be traumatized! I'm not usually afraid of spiders, but I wouldn't want them in my hair!

Islandgrrl
April 21st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Oh no! Not the dreaded CLOCK SPIDER (http://www.fazed.org/blog/view/1/clock-spider/)!

Oh my freaking gosh. I am an arachnophobe of the highest degree. What in the world made me read this thread, let alone look at that picture, I'll never know. I literally almost fell out of my chair backing away from the computer as quickly as I could (like the darned thing could possibly leap off the screen at me, right???)

When I lived in southern California, I was in my laundry room one afternoon folding clothes and I felt a little tickly on my head. I shook my hair out (which I was wearing down and about classic length at the time) and it went away. Then it came back. I ran my hand over my head and pulled *something* off my hair. It was a huge spider (huge in my world is anything bigger than a quarter). I screamed bloody murder and then apparenlty fainted. DH came running to my rescue. Found the spider sitting on the carpet a few feet away from me and figured out what happened. I think it was at least a week before I'd go back into the laundry room.

Shiver....shudder....

magicatt
April 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
If I ever had a spider in my hair I would probably just die on the spot. I have the same rule as AJoyfulNoise--spiders may live as long as there is no attempt to get near me or frighten me. If you startle me, you get squished. That's just how it goes.

I've lived with small spiders in my house but a couple of experiences have taught me that there is a size limit on how big the spider can be and not find itself being squished--or at least me attempting to squish it. It was never a problem until I moved to Massachusetts--not the sort of place you think of when you think of giant spiders. Even worse, I live just outside of Boston in a city with barely any trees or grass. I thought I was getting away from excess bugs. Who knew?

The first time was when I was working late one night and it was dark when I finally got into my car and started it up to go home. I flicked on the headlights and there, on the windshield--on the INSIDE of the windshield--was a spider the size of my head. I screamed, tried frantically to undo the seatbelt and open the door, and wound up on the ground tangled in the seatbelt but not in the car. I caught my breath, untangled myself and looked into the car because I wasn't driving home with that spider in there but I thought I should shut the car off. As I looked, I saw the legs disappearing under the dashboard. Lovely. I never saw that spider again but it was always on my mind when I got into that car. I'm kind of glad the car is gone now.

The second huge spider experience happened in my house. We had just bought the house and I went in to clean up before moving things in. As I rounded the corner to go into the living room, I thought I saw something move on the wall. Thinking it was a huge dust bunny swaying in the breeze of my coming into the room. I didn't think much about it and put down my collection of cleaning supplies. When I turned around, I found that what I thought was a dust bunny was a giant spider. I was a bit surprised at my reaction. I took the broom and thwapped the spider as hard as I could. The scary thing is that the broom was only barely bigger than the spider! Even worse, the spider was still on the wall. He seemed to shake it off and then proceeded to casually walk away. I had to leave the house, bought the strongest bug/spider spray I could find and only then went back into the house. I stayed armed with that spray for the entire move into the house but I never did see that spider again.

And I have no idea what possessed me to look at the clock spider picture. *shudders*

intothemist1999
April 21st, 2008, 02:39 PM
If I ever had a spider in my hair I would probably just die on the spot. I have the same rule as AJoyfulNoise--spiders may live as long as there is no attempt to get near me or frighten me. If you startle me, you get squished. That's just how it goes.

*lol* I can't bring myself to kill anything (from another thread: I'm the one who picks up worms, slugs, and snails off wet sidewalks and carries them to safety LOL!)

However, scare the doo-doo outa me and they get yelled at (REALLY GOOD, mind ;) ) and kicked out!!

That'll learn 'em! ;)

alys
April 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Ha ha Jojo!! I like your perspective A LOT!!
I would be frightened like most people, simply because spiders of the poisonous denominations live in my area, and telling them apart from the harmless ones is not a skill of mine. ( i dont kill anything, fyi)...
But I love your spin on it - a head massage from an 8 legged beastie! How cute.

dagonlilly
April 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
oh god I hate spiders so much if one was that close to me I would have fainted

Poolsoflaughter
April 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, that is truly horrifying/freaky! I will quickly brush something off of me in a moment of panic, but the kicker would have been when it crawled back up at me! Ugh.:(

Snowymoon
April 21st, 2008, 05:32 PM
Well, I have had a few encounters with spiders, but this one was...yuck! :scared:

Years ago I was at a friend's house, in their basement, helping her kids gather up toys that were all over the floor, putting them into a toy box. She had 2 young sons, and I went to pick up what I thought was a toy, rubber spider. WRONG! The thing was LARGE, and REAL! Good thing I hesitated and then poked at it with another toy, it crawled away. We all ran up the stairs screaming and refused to go back down there. I have no idea what became of Mr. Hairy Eightlegsandpresumedfangsofdeath after that :lol:.

Elenna
April 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM
I am the person who slew two tarantulas.

One was in the kitchen, nearsightedly it looked like a giant spider or coffee grounds. Yesssss, it was the worse. It died under a trash can.

Another, was stoned just for nonchalantly taking a stroll on the street. It got too near me.

I don't know why spiders creep me out so much. Indoors, I usually let dh vacuum them up. Outdoors, they get the broom.

Garnett
April 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM
I just want to say that I don't like this thread, I wish I hadn't read the whole thing and that I hate myself for clicking on all the links you freakos put in here. *shudder*

:lol:

Does anyone else have those GIANT centipedes??

http://whatsthatbug.com/images/house_mike.jpg <------ don't click here.

They make me shudder all over the place just thinkin about them. I've never seen anything like it until I moved here.. I can't believe how effing HUGE they get!!!!

PS. OMG a spidey in the bun. A worse fate I can't think of. That was a lie, I can think of plenty of worse fates. But yikes!! I'm glad yer okay!

Tresses
April 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM
I've avoided this thread for two days because I suspected I'd be freaked out by it.

I was right! :scared:

Certain wispy spiders are allowed to live in my house, depending on where they take up residence. (Corners behind furniture or toilet, etc.) They gotta be living on something, right?

But a wolf spider?!? In your hair?!? Ohhhhhh, no, no, no! :scared:

OMG! I was a black widow spider!!! (as I am typing this my heart is racing and I have goosebumps! :rolleyes: )

:bigeyes:

HeatherMae
April 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM
*SHIVER* Ug! I am so so sorry! I am glad that you got it out though.

sweetkandi
April 21st, 2008, 08:00 PM
OMG! I HATE spiders! I once cried, because one scared me so bad. I dont know what I would have done! Cry? Scream? Run? lol. I know for sure I would have scrubbed the heck outta my hair in the shower after it was gone! Yikes!

bugeyedmonster2
May 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
One summer I had a tick walking around on my forehead. It took me a while to realize what was tickling my forehead, but I thought it was my bangs at first. How it got there, I'll never know.

Well, those ticks sometimes climb trees, then they sit there and wait for something warm blooded to pass under. Then they just drop down onto your head (and hair.)

Eww... I'm getting the shivers just thinking about it.

(^_^)/
BEM

jesamyn
May 27th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Ya know, I was never really 'scared' of spiders until two wolf spider bites and one brown recluse bite later. Contrary what most people say, you don't have to be doing 'something stupid' for a normally docile spider species to bite you. You just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (in my case, napping on the couch). That just did it for me. Garden spiders are fine outside (such lovely webs!), but if a spider is inside the house, it's gonna die. I'm actually very tolerant of bugs that won't cause harm to me or my furbabies. They get moved outside to continue with their lives. I've moved both a mouse and several frogs out as well in different houses.

Garnett, giant centipedes show up here in El Paso too. It's all I can do to walk past one if I can see it.

OK, so much for sleep tonight...now I have the creepy-crawlies.

Trollkona
May 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM
:O I would totally panic.. I hate spider :S BF's know that and has tried to make me believe thats its something small and scary on my head several times

Saranne772
May 27th, 2008, 04:11 AM
:couch: I am generally okay with spiders but if one was to crawl over my hair I would :run: screaming!!! *Shudder*

morgwn
May 27th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I've always had slight arachnophobia but that would make me have it sweep over me and just make me freak out!!! *big huge shudder*

Mitzy
May 27th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Awwww, that is scary!! And I like spiders, but not in my hair!! Yikes!!
One of my daughter's went to put on her coat once and there was a MOUSE in it! She took off her coat when something moved and there was a mouse sitting on her shoulder!! She screamed and knocked it off so hard into the wall that she killed it. She was a second grader. Poor thing was tramatized for life and hates rats and mice now. Me, too. Some other time I will tell you why she hates swans and why the other twin has a pigeon phobia! Ha! My poor kids! I don't know how they ever made it to adulthood.

vidgrl007
May 27th, 2008, 06:48 AM
omg,i woulda had a fit lol.i dont hate spiders but i dont want them in my hair.

happylynngilmer
May 27th, 2008, 08:49 AM
*(&@%&^$()_)~!!!!!!

Translated: GAH!!!!!

I'm so glad you lived through this tramatic experience...the spider would've died if it landed in my hair too! (only, it would not have been accidental.)

Katurday
May 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I had a spider in my hair before.
I freaked out, but I didn't see it so I pretty much ran around until it fell out.
My mom got a wasp in her hair once.
I think it stung her.
D;

hurricane_gia
May 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM

That's scary!

I'm not afraid of spiders, but I hate it when unidentified things crawl on me. Once I know what it is that's crawling on me, I can calmly remove it. I would totally freak out if I found a black widow or a brown recluse! Yikes! :bigeyes:

hurricane_gia
May 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I once lived in a house, in the country, that had been empty for five years before I moved in. The spiders thought it was *their* house. :)

There were lots of other creepy crawlies around, so every morning I shook my shoes to make sure there weren't any scorpions inside before I put my shoes on. One day, nothing fell out of the shoe so I turned it over and stuck my foot inside. But, halfway in, my toes hit resistance. At first, I thought I'd left a wadded up sock stuffed into the toe of my shoe, but something stopped me from just reaching in there with my fingers. Instead, I peeled back the tongue of the shoe and peered into the depths . . . . and there was a huge wolf spider looking right back at me!

By that time, I was immune to spiders, so I just flipped my shoe over again and shook it a bit more vigorously. The spider jumped out and scurried away. I put on my shoes like nothing had happened.

Another time, I was in bed with a cold and, as usually happens when I have a cold, my bed and the floor around it were covered in wadded up kleenexes. I woke up just enough to roll over in bed, and my hand flopped down on top of something roundish and soft. I assumed that it was a wadded up kleenex and I started to drift back off to sleep. But then the soft and roundish thing MOVED. So I opened my eyes and very cautiously lifted my thumb . . . it was another wolf spider. That time I got the heebee jeebees! But, when I'm doped up on cold medicine, the heebee jeebees sound like this, "Hey, You, go away, please." :rolleyes:

I put up with all those spiders in that house, because I was hoping they would eat the *other* six-eight legged residents! That was the house of Fire Ants in the air conditioner . . . and the ants would crawl along the electrical wiring and swarm out of the outlets when you least expected them. Once the dog left a cookie in the middle of my bed and when I came home from work that night, there were thousands of fire ants on the bed, in the bed, between the sheets, between the pillows and the pillowcases. :run: It was a nightmare. No fuzzy gray spider can compete with thousands of fire ants!!:demon:

And yes, there were black widows in the barn. I just didn't go into the barn.

Magicknthenight
May 30th, 2008, 12:19 AM
*GASP* a spider? shudder: Luckily i've never had that happen! i have..however..walked through a swarm of little bugs. Not really sure what they were. Has that happened to anyone else? and then a few minutes later realize their is a couple in my hair :thud: A spider would really scare me. I saw a spider crawling on the wall by my bed...needless to say i was really paranoid..Ended up sleeping with my head at the foot of my bed to avoid them. :bigeyes: They always seem to be in my bed...i hope that never happens because im sure id scream or start jumping around haha:pray:

GlennaGirl
May 30th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Since you all aren't freaked out enough yet...

...I read somewhere that during the course of his or her lifetime, a person swallows an average of eight spiders in his or her sleep.

I mean, you know, you snore and your mouth is a little open and the spider doesn't realize where it's going and...

Anyway, sweet dreams, everybody.

darl_in1
May 30th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Dear God....I'd move house - hell, I'd move continent.

AUGH! I feel your pain, Snowy. I once threw a wokful of chopped veggies across the kitchen (didn't mean to - just instinctive!) when a wolf spider dropped on my cleavage from the ceiling. Maybe it wanted some chopped peppers...

As for the spider fatality, you say you caught it in a cup? My friend Bill tried to catch a moth in a glass once. Unfortunately the moth was on the ceiling and he had the glass upside down... *squish*

Wait - we have wolf spiders in the UK?:shocked::disbelief:blueeek: (there aren't enough smilies for how I feel about this)

Rebelkat
May 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM
EEK! I hate wolf spiders. We have a lot of them, too. There was one in my carport the other day that was bigger than my palm. shudder: Luckily, I have never had one in my hair (that I know of). Maybe I shouldn't say that. I'm probably going to find one now...lol.

Rococo
May 30th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I had a wasp on my head once. Not fun. It stung me. I can't imagine a spider going into my hair, though...yikes.

Xan
May 30th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Wolf spiders are very creepy no doubt.

AnimaSola3o4
May 31st, 2008, 01:49 AM
aaaaah I'm all twitchy now just reading this!

One time, I came in from being outside, and I kept hearing this odd buzzing sound... I started to reach up to feel my hair, and all of the sudden, out of NO WHERE- a giant black and white [bumble?] bee dropped out and onto the floor! I could not have run around any faster screaming bloody murder. It wasn't so much that i was afraid of being stung, I was upset that it had invaded my personal space so badly!! haha.

I'm TERRIBLY phobic of bees of any sort, and usually take off running and screaming in one dirrection. I also get this crazy surge of adrenaline and start to shake. I've been known to cry if one gets too close to me. I'm sliiiightly less phobic of spiders, but still yiiiiiikes. I wish both bees and spiders weren't necessary to the earth, but i know they are. :(

AnimaSola3o4
May 31st, 2008, 01:58 AM
I once lived in a house, in the country, that had been empty for five years before I moved in. The spiders thought it was *their* house. :)

There were lots of other creepy crawlies around, so every morning I shook my shoes to make sure there weren't any scorpions inside before I put my shoes on. One day, nothing fell out of the shoe so I turned it over and stuck my foot inside. But, halfway in, my toes hit resistance. At first, I thought I'd left a wadded up sock stuffed into the toe of my shoe, but something stopped me from just reaching in there with my fingers. Instead, I peeled back the tongue of the shoe and peered into the depths . . . . and there was a huge wolf spider looking right back at me!

By that time, I was immune to spiders, so I just flipped my shoe over again and shook it a bit more vigorously. The spider jumped out and scurried away. I put on my shoes like nothing had happened.

Another time, I was in bed with a cold and, as usually happens when I have a cold, my bed and the floor around it were covered in wadded up kleenexes. I woke up just enough to roll over in bed, and my hand flopped down on top of something roundish and soft. I assumed that it was a wadded up kleenex and I started to drift back off to sleep. But then the soft and roundish thing MOVED. So I opened my eyes and very cautiously lifted my thumb . . . it was another wolf spider. That time I got the heebee jeebees! But, when I'm doped up on cold medicine, the heebee jeebees sound like this, "Hey, You, go away, please." :rolleyes:

I put up with all those spiders in that house, because I was hoping they would eat the *other* six-eight legged residents! That was the house of Fire Ants in the air conditioner . . . and the ants would crawl along the electrical wiring and swarm out of the outlets when you least expected them. Once the dog left a cookie in the middle of my bed and when I came home from work that night, there were thousands of fire ants on the bed, in the bed, between the sheets, between the pillows and the pillowcases. :run: It was a nightmare. No fuzzy gray spider can compete with thousands of fire ants!!:demon:

And yes, there were black widows in the barn. I just didn't go into the barn.

I think I'll have horrid nightmares about this when I go to bed now. As it is I'm sitting here going :disbelief:bigeyes: with tears in my eyes! Oh, and I've taken benadryl, which ALWAYS makes for very interesting and vivid dreams, darnit. !

AnimaSola3o4
May 31st, 2008, 02:09 AM
I am very afraid of spiders. When I see one in my bedroom, I go sleep on the couch. I have a spider phobia so you can imagine that if that happened to me, I'd freak and possibly faint. I fainted once when I almost touched a doorbell that had a huge spider on it. Ugghhhh!

I SO relate! I once found a spider crawling up the magazine I was reading while sitting in bed, and I jumped.... slept in the living room for a WEEK. And I had to clean my room top to bottom before I'd go back in there and sleep.

I get panicky like that about bees. I'm so phobic of bees. Especially hornets, theres a camp I go to every summer and in the past couple of summers the hornets have taken over! I got stung on both of the tops of my feet in a matter of like 3 minutes. They both swelled up all huuuuuge. Not to mention they have daddy long legs like you would NOT believe... like they'd crawl all over you if you sat down outside on a bench.

In fact, it's part of the reason why I'm not going this year, I could deal with one or the other, either bees OR spiders, but not BOTH.

:tmi::scared:

Shermie Girl
May 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread for so long. :o

I hate spiders. I live in an old house in the forest and we are infested with the little eight legged freaks. They are everywhere. I have a policy; if the spiders stay outside, they can live. If they dare come in my house, they die. No pardon. No parole. No guilt.

I have had spiders in my hair. It freaks me out, every time. And I kill them, every time. One night, I was just drifting off to sleep when one landed on my face. I slapped my hand to my cheek and whinged it off so hard that it flew across the room and went "poing!!!" against the blind and died.

*Shuddering, now.*

savi
May 31st, 2008, 04:43 PM
Wolf spider : lenght 1-5" And all those other spiders.. In a persons hair without them knowing of it. :scared:

Which reminds me of today.
Friend: "Urgh. Spider!" *proceeds to whisk it away*
Me: "Umm.. Did you really have to throw it into my hair?" *grabs the lock and pries the spider off*
Repeat three times. *sigh*
I'm so glab there aren't any BIG spiders around here. The mere thought of it gives me shudders. I'm okay as long as I know when the spider got into my hair, otherwise.. :blueeek:

Pierre
May 31st, 2008, 09:04 PM
I thought of sending Tikva the Spider-Slayer after it (ask Swanns), but on second thought, you wouldn't want her messing with your hair...

itsjackie
June 1st, 2008, 01:21 AM
Omg hahah, I would've freaked out too. Once, I found a Japanese Beetle in my hair. I ran my fingers through my hair and the beetle fell out onto my hand and I screamed and flung it across the room O:

sahiba
June 1st, 2008, 02:11 AM
EEEOOOOOO ....... GROSSSS. I hate spiders. Poor you.

bugeyedmonster2
January 4th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Not sure you want to hear this, but I've heard that ticks will climb trees, and then wait for something warm (since they have built in infra-red vision) to pass under and they drop down on you! Into your hair! :eek:

(^_^)/
BEM

Almandine
January 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Ah.

AAAAAH.

We have wolf spiders in our back yard here, and I retch when I even think about them. God. I don't even want to think about a spider in my hair. However, I have a hilarious on-topic story to share with you all, which you reminded me of.

My friend Garby, who works in an electronics store, was retrieving something from a high shelf. They keep overstock on the tops of shelves in boxes, and as he pulled a box down, a spider fell out of it and landed on his face. Instinctively, he punched himself right in the nose, wherupon he knocked himself out and fell on his back on the floor.

When he woke up, the spider was still there. He missed it. It was tiny, too.

HeavyHenry
January 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM
*grabs heart* gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is all I have to say on the matter

HairColoredHair
January 4th, 2009, 02:31 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a192/ForensicVette/ohnoeswilly.gif http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a192/ForensicVette/runaway.gif EEEEKKKK!!!

Alia
January 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Spider in your hair? :eek: Wolf Spider in your hair?!!!!:blueeek: EeeeeeeeeeeeK!!!!!!!:shocked:

Lady Verity
January 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Oh GAWD, not those big ones! shudder: I've rarely seen them in the UK, but when I do I run like hell. Those things are monsters.

Amara
January 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM
OK, I managed to read this whole thread, but I am totally creeped out! Spiders and I do not mix!

I think I have the winner of "freak-out dances" though..

It was the night before Thanksgiving (about 12 years ago), my turkey was in the oven, dd (who was a toddler then) was in the bed, dh was at a friends house and I had just put on my gown and was relaxing on the sofa to watch some tv..

I felt something on my upper arm, sort of like a little pinch, so I just sort of rubbed at the area, but it happened again..
so then I lifted the neck of my gown to look and see what was pinching me and...

I proceeded to rip off my gown and run around in nothing but my panties doing a "freak-out dance" and screaming! I woke up dd who started crying, callled my dh screaming and crying.
After a trip to the ER, everything was fine, even the turkey!

It was very traumatic! :(

If you win then I come in a close second...

I was sitting on the floor playing video games... suddenly there's an itch on my upper chest. I scratch, but feel something POKING me... so I peek under my t-shirt neck and it's a HUGE BLACK CRICKET! Not one of those little brown ones, I'm talking the 2" long greasy slimy black MONSTERS.

I RIPPED my shirt off, just like you did your nightgown, and kermit-flailed all over the house. To this day I can not STAND crickets or grasshoppers.

TRAUMA!

AJoifulNoise
January 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
My friend Garby, who works in an electronics store, was retrieving something from a high shelf. They keep overstock on the tops of shelves in boxes, and as he pulled a box down, a spider fell out of it and landed on his face. Instinctively, he punched himself right in the nose, wherupon he knocked himself out and fell on his back on the floor.

When he woke up, the spider was still there. He missed it. It was tiny, too.

I can laugh, right? :gabigrin: 'cuz that's priceless. And I could totally see me slapping the snot outta myself to kill a spider on my face. I did that once with a bee.... Oh that, was ugly. I didn't miss...

Silver & Gold
January 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM
That made me squirm on the inside just reading it.

I'm terrified of spiders and yet refuse to kill them. My husband laughs at my "catch and release program" but I've perfected my technique. I catch any spider in a wine glass, swirl the glass lightly as I walk to the front door so the spider can't scramble out and then fling it in the bushes by our house. Sometimes I amaze myself at how brave I am considering how terrified I am of the spiders. And no matter how many times I do it I'm still scared to death. I must be a rare brand of crazy indeed.

AJoifulNoise
January 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I'm terrified of spiders and yet refuse to kill them. My husband laughs at my "catch and release program" but I've perfected my technique. I catch any spider in a wine glass, swirl the glass lightly as I walk to the front door so the spider can't scramble out and then fling it in the bushes by our house. Sometimes I amaze myself at how brave I am considering how terrified I am of the spiders. And no matter how many times I do it I'm still scared to death. I must be a rare brand of crazy indeed.

I think you're brave, but not crazy. I don't like killing them, either. In fact, I'm fine if they are up on the ceiling, not bothering me. I might even talk to them (perhaps I shouldn't be judging what's crazy lol). But, if they surprise me or touch me... All bets are off and it's going squish.

Schmoomunitions
January 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Kermit -flailed!!!!HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA ALWAYS check your shower cap before you put it on. I was in the shower when suddenly a little guy lowered himself right in front of my eyeball. He was relocated to outdoors.

Almandine
January 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I can laugh, right? :gabigrin: 'cuz that's priceless. And I could totally see me slapping the snot outta myself to kill a spider on my face. I did that once with a bee.... Oh that, was ugly. I didn't miss...

YES you can laugh! We all do... including him. The security feed on that was amazing - one hard punch straight to his own nose, and out like a light. What anyone watching must have thought, we don't even know. XD

Annushka
January 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Just a couple days ago I saw a large (quarter-sized) spider high on the wall in the dining room. I went to the kitchen to get a jar to catch it, and when I returned to the dining room it was missing.
I worriedly checked all over my clothes and my hair to see if it had jumped me, but didn't see it. Finally (luckily) I saw it on the floor - I was a bit freaked how far it had dropped, since I'm paranoid about spiders jumping on me.
Anyway, I was able to bottle it and added some alcohol to kill it. It used to be I would squash them, but now I try to bottle them and kill without squishing so I can then identify it using my spider ID book.
I feel no guilt for killing spiders, especially now that I know I have brown recluses living in my house.
Here's the spider from the other day:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/Porkala/brownrecluse12.jpg

Sissy
January 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Yikes, I'm glad you were able to find him and get him out your hair. That would have been a horrifying experience for me as well.

Beloved
January 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM
One morning, I found this in my hair:

http://www.digital.mississippi-photo-gallery.com/garden-spider.htm

It was huge and I am super scared of spiders.

I think my cat brought it in from her frolicking outside. The spider was dead by the time I found it in my hair. It probably had all kinds of fun in my hair before I smushed it in my sleep.

AJoifulNoise
January 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM
One morning, I found this in my hair:

http://www.digital.mississippi-photo-gallery.com/garden-spider.htm

It was huge and I am super scared of spiders.

I think my cat brought it in from her frolicking outside. The spider was dead by the time I found it in my hair. It probably had all kinds of fun in my hair before I smushed it in my sleep.

*very girly scream* :run:

Sammybunny711
January 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I honestly think I would have totally fainted or...*embarrassed myself*--LOL. I am like COMPLETELY and TOTALLY TERRIFIED of spiders...

You poor thing...My condolences.

ladyfairington
January 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM
EEE GADS!!!

I would have FLIPPED out if I saw that!

I've overcome my fear of spiders, but I can't stand the thought of one crawling on me.

*cringes* <3!

GlennaGirl
January 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Just a couple days ago I saw a large (quarter-sized) spider high on the wall in the dining room. I went to the kitchen to get a jar to catch it, and when I returned to the dining room it was missing.
I worriedly checked all over my clothes and my hair to see if it had jumped me, but didn't see it. Finally (luckily) I saw it on the floor - I was a bit freaked how far it had dropped, since I'm paranoid about spiders jumping on me.
Anyway, I was able to bottle it and added some alcohol to kill it. It used to be I would squash them, but now I try to bottle them and kill without squishing so I can then identify it using my spider ID book.
I feel no guilt for killing spiders, especially now that I know I have brown recluses living in my house.
Here's the spider from the other day:
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/Porkala/brownrecluse12.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. (running away screaming)

CatScratchDance
January 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Ew...I don't like spiders. Two weeks ago when I had just gotten home for break I was sitting in my room watching a movie with the lights dimmed with my dog and I thought I saw something on the ceiling. We have the texture stuff all over the walls and ceiling and when I looked a few minutes later I figured it was just the way the lights from the movie hit the texture. No biggie. Until I though I saw something on the ceiling again, but it was a brief sighting and I once again passed it off as the texturing and me not being used to it and the way it reacts to light. Later on I am curled up with my dog still watching the movie and I felt something fall on my arm, so I shook it off figuring it was just one of the dangly bits on my blanket. It didn't budge so I look down and there was a big, nasty spider on my arm. So freak out ensues and the thing eventually fell to the floor. As I was going to smash it, or at least try, my dog came up to sniff it (or so I thought) and what does that little stinker do while I am attempting to gain courage to battle the evil creature? She ate it shudder: and looked at me like she was so proud of herself. What else could I do but give her a treat? :shrug:

AJoifulNoise
January 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Is anyone else getting an ad with a bunch of hairy spiders on it below this thread? :eek:

Wyldekat
January 4th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Ok, my skin is crawling now.. I hate spiders!! I would completely freaked out if I found a spider in my hair. We have tons of spiders around our house. Guess it's because of the woods. Anywhooo, I WILL NOT go in our front door during the warm weather season. I make sure to use the garage. We have spiders at every friggin door! Yay for winter!!!! :)

Darkhorse1
January 4th, 2009, 09:24 PM
It's just so nice that the ads on this page are showing photos of wolf spiders.
I HATE THOSE THINGS! *shudders*

I've had my share of spider scares in the hair. Especially at our cottage.

I will share a funny story to lighten things up: I had my hair on my pillow and I'm a restless sleeper. I was rolling over and saw this HUGE fuzzy black spider on my pillow. Freaked and jumped up and it chased me!!

Um, yah. It was the tail of my hair. It was so long it didn't swing over my shoulder, but the ends looked like a fuzzy spider chasing me.

:D ;)

BranwenWolf
January 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I had a bee fly in my hair while I was out riding Jasmine.
She has been abused and panicked when I started flailing my arms around.

Luckily the bee somehow got out... as much as I like riding with my hair down I braid it or tie it back now.

bugeyedmonster2
January 19th, 2009, 11:46 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>.

It's also possible that your cat had killed it, and then left it on your pillow as a prezzie. "Look! I caught a big ol' spider! Aren't you proud of me?!"

Our cats do that. One brought me a live snake once.

(^_^)/
BEM

bugeyedmonster2
January 19th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Is anyone else getting an ad with a bunch of hairy spiders on it below this thread? :eek:
>>>>>>>>>>

Yup. It's ads by Google. I don't know what they are trying to sell to us. I guess because the automated thing caught the "spiders" in this thread, they might think we are bug enthusiasts.

(^_^)/
BEM

Themyst
January 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I get little black spiders in my house sometimes. I let them live while they're tiny but when they start getting big I put them outside. It's easy to handle because they usually spin one little web and stay put. No wolf spiders though - I don't think I could deal with that.

Never had one in my hair though - but I'm really afraid of bees and I've had a bee or two caught up in my hair as I've flailed about and run away ... oh, the look on people's faces when they see me do that ...

Arctic_Mama
January 20th, 2009, 01:02 AM
One of the only things in the WORLD I am petrified of is spiders, thanks to some nasty run-ins with large, poisonous types in my bike handles, roller blades, and BED as a child... this is like my worst nightmare. I had one in my hair in the car when I was maybe 10 and I think it seriously traumatized me for life. OMGosh scary!

Chrissy
January 20th, 2009, 03:19 AM
I haven't read any replies yet but I had an encounter with a wolf spider once. I was taking a shower. Of course I had my glasses off. Well w/o my glasses I'm blind! Anyway I was washing and I looked down to wash my leg and there was a wolf spider up on the inside of my thigh heading up to wear you don't want a spider to be!!!:shocked:

Anyway I swiped him off fast with the back of my hand and jumped out of the shower. I yelled for my dh who smooshed him. I normally don't kill anything. I actually get a paper cup and put it over the named bug and slide a piece of cardboard under it. Then I take my catch and put it outside. NOT THIS TIME!!

I so feel for you. I can't imagine how long he was in your hair. The thought of it makes me shudder.

Chrissy
January 20th, 2009, 03:22 AM
The wolf spider on me was fully grown. He reminds me of a small tarantula. Either way ick.

Chrissy
January 20th, 2009, 03:51 AM
OK I've read everyone's replies....so do I win the prize? A spider going toward the naughty bits??? Surely that's a prize winner!!! :)