PDA

View Full Version : Would not using conditioner on top of my length damage my hair?

juliaxena
September 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM
My hair gets greasy really fast, but just the top of my lenght. It seem the sebum does not reach my ends. I thought maybe I can extend my washes if I don't use conditioner near my roots. But I'm worried my hair might get damaged there that way. I dye my roots with semipermanent dye that has no ammonia and very little hydrogen peroxide and I do onyle dye roots, but still, I'm not sure any part of my hair could go without conditioner and not get damaged. What do you all think?

Curlsgirl
September 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I hardly ever use conditioner on my roots. For one thing, it makes it get oily there too fast and another thing if it is producing enough sebum then you really don't need it. The length is more where you need to protect it, the older, more fragile hair. I only use conditioner mostly from my ears down. If I use anything else any closer to my scalp it is minimal amounts.

Fractalsofhair
September 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
You don't have to use conditioner on your roots in general. If you have very fine hair, it may need that little bit of moisture. Also, in terms of dye to avoid damage, have you looked into deposit only colors or rinses? That would hide grays if you're not trying to change your natural color all that much.

You're a 1a,so you can brush sebum down your length.

juliaxena
September 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Yes, I have tryed deposit only, but I can't get my hair to my (fake) blonde color that way. I don't really want to change my (fake) color or my dye. It is the mildest possible. I tryed using "blonde henna" once, suppose it was cassia, it left my hair in a horrible state, straw like, so I reckon the dye I use is perfect for me. On topic, I will be doing my roots tommorrow and I will put conditioner on them after, to help them "recover". Then I might try not use conditioner a couple of times and see how it goes.

Papillonnoir
September 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I don't conditioner my roots either, largely because my hair is weighed down easily, and I'm worried about increased shedding (although I haven't really noticed it. I've been experimenting with applying conditioner with my hear upside down, so I can condition the canopy without getting the two inches closest to my roots. That's been working well for me, so perhaps you'd like it too. And the hair closest to your roots is pretty much the most resilient, so it should be fine without conditioner.

juliaxena
September 28th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks everybody.

florenonite
September 29th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I never condition my roots. I condition the ends if I use a harsh shampoo (I usually use bars), but anything more than that weighs down my hair. As you're using a harsh dye, it probably isn't a bad idea to condition the roots immediately after, but thereafter just condition from the ears down.