PDA

View Full Version : My hair prefers going "nude"...anyone else?

Rapunzal2Be
September 28th, 2009, 06:55 AM
So I will admit it...my hair prefers going "nude." :eyebrows: less I do to my hair, the better it looks, but hey, it's easier for me, right?!]

I still plan on doing my Mega Tek treatments and coconut oiling before wash days, and I've noticed that aloe gel really helps to set my hair when I'm putting it up - but for hair down days I now have put two and two together to finally realize that when I do nothing, it really looks its best!!

I can't be the only one...so come on, admit it if your hair likes to run around "nude"! :whistle:

RavennaNight
September 28th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Yep! I concur. If I put leave-in in my hair it looks a bit lank by the end of the day and probably needs more frequent washing. I am down to S&C and occaional coconut oiling, myself. Less is more

GlassEyes
September 28th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Sort of.

My hair feels best when it's just CO-washed. It, however, tangles and is just a giant ball of frizz--however, it feels silky-fine. :( Wish I could have no frizz and that feeling all the time. xD;

twolunarspring
September 28th, 2009, 07:43 AM
At the moment, my hair doesn't even get washed - just rinsed with water and I'm happy with it. It is certainly healthiest that way... In terms of appearance, it always looked lovely when I used The Body Shop grapeseed oil leave-in conditioner... but it needed washing a lot more frequently, so it wasn't the healthiest option for my hair.

Lady Godiva
September 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Wow! I feel kind of funny that the less I do to my hair, the better it looks, but hey, it's easier for me, right?!]

This often is called benign neglect by those of us who kindly leave our hair mostly alone. In return, our hair thanks us by being super healthy. :)

kdaniels8811
September 28th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I thought I was being lazy, here I have been practicing benign neglect! Yes, my hair is happiest with nothing on it.

SurprisingWoman
September 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yep, I am lazy so my hair enjoys benign neglect every day. It loves it!

Shiva
September 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I find myself just using some oils for the fragrance.

:confused:

serious
September 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM
My hair looks the best when I wash it, put a drop of oil on the ends and leave it alone. No conditioner, no leave-in, no aloe gel, nothing.

~GypsyCurls~
September 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I'd prefer my hair to be nude too...preferably a cleanser, conditioner and leave in at the most. Unfortunately, no matter how conditioned and soft my hair is, without a styler it's very poufy.

Elvi
September 28th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I agree more is less after you find a gentle enough way to wash the hair.

Yayasmurf
September 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
If the beauty industry was depending on me for their paycheck... they would be in the poor house very soon. I'm a naked girl. :cool:

bjt
September 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I also agree! I do CWC once or twice a week, and that's it. Occasionally I use some (a very small amount) coconut oil, but I can only put it in once my hair is dry... if my hair is wet and I use it, it always dries looking oily for some reason.

I do have to rinse or wash the area around my face a little more frequently because I go to the gym often and that area gets more sweaty and oily. but I keep those washings/rinses away from the rest of my hair!

Elbereth
September 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM
If someone asked my best haircare advice, it would be: Leave It Alone. Meaning, that in my experience, neglecting hair is far less harmful than most of the things that are known as "hair care". My hair does not need or want frequent stylist visits, tons of products that are supposed to "fix" it, brushing etc. Often, "trying things" and "doing something" just makes things worse.

forgetmenotak
September 28th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I'm just another person that likes her hair nude. Oil makes my hair crunchy, and I don't like leave ins. And I do practice benign neglect.

Nenwing
September 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
You know, its funny but when my hair was long, what it did seem to like best was nothing really but the normal wash/condition. I remember trying all these things and it didn't really do anything. My hair was like "whatever, good try though!"

Sissy
September 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM
ha, perhaps I'd ought to give it a try... I spend way to much time and dash on my hair treaties :)

Dars
September 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
cone free CO + air dry, no towel = happiest hair on me.

Elphie
September 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Same here, my hair tends to hate leave-ins of any kind other than a really light oiling on wet ends, I don't put anything else on it.

Fiferstone
September 28th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Another hair nudist. My hair looks/feels the best the day after wash day, on wash day it can be a bit fly away. I guess you could count my ACV rinse as a "leave in" in that it's the last thing that happens to my hair on wash day, but other than that, I don't add anything to it to style/treat/condition/protect it until it's the night before wash day, then it's time for the coconut oil.

Bianca
September 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Well, I'm a wavy/curly and using nothing on my hair would leave me with a big poof ball... I need leave in and a gel to get it to look decent :p

I think straight hair can get away with no product a little easier.

Rapunzal2Be
September 29th, 2009, 12:33 AM
You know, its funny but when my hair was long, what it did seem to like best was nothing really but the normal wash/condition. I remember trying all these things and it didn't really do anything. My hair was like "whatever, good try though!"

I love this, I can totally picture my hair "saying" the exact same thing! :D

Tomato
September 29th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Luckily , my hair is also one of the "nude", the ascetic, the less you put on the better.
There are so many people with long hair who have a very complex and time consuming hair care routine and still suffer from spliss etc.
I wouldn't have the patience for that.
Nude hair... I really like that expression!:cheese:

Rapunzal2Be
September 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Nude hair... I really like that expression!:cheese:

:cheese: Thanks! Maybe we should make a social group for "hair nudists"! :cool:

aahavaa
September 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Nudie here too..I just use shampoo but no conditioner and no nothing.
I use coconut oil as a pre wash but nothing on it after.

merseaone
September 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I c/o, apply mega gel to the top of my hair, aloe vera gel to the back, then blow dry the top and curl it for the poof. The back dries on its own. I love using Aloe vera gel!

PhillyGirl1978@
September 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM
It's funny....I think my looks better, the less I do to it. My canopy is kinda fine so too much product makes it stringy and crunchy. Back when I was using regular gel and stuff I had crunchy hair all the time. My naked hair looks good for like a minute, as soon as the wind blows or it brushes against something it looses its curl and turns to frizz. Lately I have just been leaving in some conditioner and plopping, then putting on a little AVG and water for extra hold. It is shiny and bouncy not to mention it dries so much faster!

Ally<3
October 1st, 2009, 03:05 AM
I'm giving this a go. Bye bye silicones!

Heavenly Locks
October 1st, 2009, 03:08 AM
My hair likes CO and that's it. Not much else :) Coconut oil once in a while before a wash, but that's all. My hair is a nudist too. LOL!

prittykitty
October 1st, 2009, 03:25 AM
I have noticed that people with naturally straight hair usually don't need to use much on their hair and can usually wash and go. Curly hair is much different.

heatherdazy
October 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
My hair looks terrible nude. The last inch or two looks damaged and frayed, but when I put a coney serum on it, my hair looks great.

Recently, I've switched from the cone serum to aloe gel and that also does the trick wonderfully, which is great!

Pixna
October 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
I admit it. I am a nudist! Well, just my hair. :smirk:

I tried going nude last night, and today my hair looks, um, interesting. I think I could very well get used to this. It's wurly without product -- which is a wonderful breakthrough for me!!!

Nudists unite!!! ;) :o :p

howsitgrowin'87
October 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I would totally agree that my hair is also a nudist!

I've gone back and forth between CO washing and then switching to cone products, and I don't know if it is just in my head, but ever since I learned what silicone does on your hair, it's like I can't get past it, and I end up going cone free again. It's like I can just feel it being all coated in goop or something. So my hair (and my own mind) feels better when it knows there's nothing weighing it down.

Simplicity is often the solution! :)

Amara
October 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I just oil mine up. Can I consider than nude? Nude and oiled? :eyebrows:

embee
October 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Nudist here. Very dilute shampoo, no conditioner, air dry, no gel, no oil, no nothing. Hair is soft. No static! :)

pradabacon
October 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I have streaker hair as well. I use diluted shampoo and conditioner. That's it. I'm too lazy for most anything else, and my hair hates every oil I've tried. It seems happy enough for me to leave it alone. :)

Curlsgirl
October 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I have noticed that people with naturally straight hair usually don't need to use much on their hair and can usually wash and go. Curly hair is much different.

Yeah I think most of the time that is true. I have to use a leave-in and curl cream or my curls are frizzy and undefined. I don't spend much time on it though and can use cones or not.

plainjanegirl
October 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
All I use is shampoo, conditioner, and a spray detangler/leave in (sometimes this is store bought or a mix of conditioner and water) and then that's it, so almost nude.

julliams
October 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
As long as I get the air drying right, yes! I still haven't perfected that yet - sometimes it looks great and other times it looks fuzzball again. I guess we have to admit that we really don't need to spend alot of money on our hair. I save it and spend it on clothes instead.

Kimberly
October 30th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I guess I'm abnormal for a curly, but my hair is very happy with WO (with a vinegar rinse for hard water). A couple of days ago I ran into someone who hadn't seen me since I started WO and he asked me if I'd gotten a perm. That's cause now I have spirals instead of frizz. Yay!

Wicked Princess
October 30th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I think my hair might prefer going nude, but it's been very persnickety lately, and I can't tell. If I don't dry it in the exact, correct way (a method my hair is hell-bent on keeping secret) my hair can end up looking terrible! If I do dry it correctly, it looks more beautiful than any product, natural or otherwise, could ever do for it.

rapunzelna
October 31st, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'm pretty lazy..and very lucky therefore that my hair is very comfortable being "in the nude"!

dearladydisdain
October 31st, 2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I wash my hair - that's it! I've tried everything and doing nothing is really the best.

Ashley
October 31st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Lately I've been using only a shampoo (by Lavera) and the Yes to Cucumbers leave-in. That's it. My hair feels thicker and looks better than ever. Hmm.

Upside Down
October 31st, 2009, 11:50 AM
It has periods (like now) when it feels and looks best just washed.

Then sometimes it starts looking not so good after just a wash, be it dry, or feeling like gum... then I need to put stuff on my head :)

JamieLeigh
October 31st, 2009, 12:05 PM
I guess since I still CO and use oil, my hair isn't exactly NUDE.....but it does like to parade around in its underwear. :D

gnegirl
October 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Yes, definitely. I started using sulfate-free shampoo and its *really* loving that :).

2BThinAgain
October 31st, 2009, 01:48 PM
i LOVE your hair !!!! Georgous !!

skydancer7
October 31st, 2009, 01:53 PM
Totally. It loves diluted sulfate-free shampoo once or twice a week, conditioner, and occasionally a few drops of coconut oil on the ends.

Otherwise, it's in it's birthday suit most of the time. I can't even put it up very often because it *loves* to run around in the buff without any restrictive "clothing" holding it down and tugging at it.

I really should comb it at some point... I can only wear hats so often ;)

Washing my hair is like trying to get a 3 year old to take a bath. My hair doesn't wanna.