PDA

View Full Version : Ok, got length. Now need fullness!

nimeera
September 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Okay, obviously I'm doing something right with length, but I need to work on fullness. Specifically around the scalp and hairline.

What are your best suggestions for increasing fullness (without cutting in layers :eyebrows:) Oh, and pardon the ratty clumping. We had a great hafla party today, and I took this photo after getting home about 10pm tonight. I really should have combed it back out before the photo (sigh!)

http://members.cox.net/nimeera/CAR/HairLen2009_09_27b.jpg

Stubborn
September 27th, 2009, 11:01 PM
maybe 1 inch trims every 6 months to thicken the hemline? not sure

Debra83
September 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Not sure, scalp massages?!!!

What's a hafla party?

Fethenwen
September 27th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Maybe a trim on the ends.
Second scalp massages, you could also use oils that help hair growth = fuller hair.
Castor oil + some other preferable oils and essential oils can do wonders.
Sleeping with your hair in a high bun also gives it more volume.
I find also starch like corn starch to be at better alternative than hair spray for fullness. This is especially good around your face if your hair tends to look greasy at times. Just rub in it the roots.

Leoneska
September 27th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Definitely trim (sorry). I'd suggest microtrims - Emichee has successfully thickened her hemline by cutting half of each month's growth.

teela1978
September 28th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Nightshade has an article about getting some lift in updos and such. You might want to check that out (it always looks funny on me).

My only way of getting fullness around my hairline is to sorta comb up from my scalp, and then down the length while its damp (if that makes any sense at all). That way it dries with a little lift. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any other ideas though, its something I struggle with as well.

pdy2kn6
September 28th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I would just recommend eating well and scalp massages, but I have to say I really like your hemline

Dientje
September 28th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Bump!

Sorry, off-topic, but what a lovely dress! I'm keeping that design in mind when I'm thinking about making a new dress or skirt...

ChloeDharma
September 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Temporarily a good bent over brushing/combing can increase the appearance of fullness around the scalp, it also can stimulate growth by increasing circulation.
I also agree with the scalp massage/oils suggestion. Check out the threads on essential oils and indian oils especially.....and of course castor oil.
Herb washing i found increased thickness for me, though i have not kept up with that myself but i got a 150% increase in ponytail circumference while using them exclusively.
Diet of course is vital, but i wont be a hypocrite and lecture on that! lol.
Good luck :)

3azza
September 28th, 2009, 06:21 AM
henna makes my hair thicker, and i believe in the power of oils when you massage them to scalp. I usually use olive or almond sometimes in combination with castor, about 2 table spoons massaged on the scalp and left for atleast 20 minutes before washing hair.

hennaphile
September 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
For appearance, try using a BBB or making braid waves.

As for thickness, I'm working on that myself ;) .

So far cassia, cocoveda oil, and shikakai are helping lots :)

nimeera
September 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Some excellent suggestions! I think I'll stay away from trims. I like my fairy tale ends. I have tried the EO and monostat blend, and also generic Rogaine type stuff. The Rogaine did help with the hairline up front, until I stopped using it. Not sure if the scalp massages with the EO/monostat blend are helping. I think it did, then I eased off. The big shed last week may have been because of the ease off, or because of some sort of food reaction (I have allergies and some nutritional challenges!) Last night I read about caster oil on the scalp and decided to give it a try with almond oil. I think I will try that for a while.

I do henna regularly, which does help to thicken and strengthen each strand. Fluffing hairdos tend to fall flat during a performance. I guess what I really want is to prevent shedding and encourage more hair strands. I just want to make sure my scalp stays hidden under my hair.

Any other suggestions?

nimeera
September 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Bump!

Sorry, off-topic, but what a lovely dress! I'm keeping that design in mind when I'm thinking about making a new dress or skirt...

Thanks! It's a nice crushed velvet princess line dress that flairs out at the waist and ends very high on the thigh. I wore a multi-layer black chiffon circle skirt underneath it just to make it less naughty. Still, the total ensemble ends above the knee. Tells you how naughty the green dress is. :eyebrows:

nimeera
September 28th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Bump!

Not sure, scalp massages?!!!

What's a hafla party?

A hafla is a party with food, drink, and lots of bellydancers. We had a wonderful live band, and I was second in the lineup of performers. After the show, there is open floor dancing. Loads of fun!

Dientje
September 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Sounds great!

Haha, so I can imagine that the dress is slightly naughty without the skirt underneath :)

Well, the combination looks very good together, and I think the black multilayer chiffon skirt looks great alone as well..

Yayasmurf
September 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I have never had a thickness problem... check out my pics and you'll understand... so I had to stay away from things that made my hair fuller... this is the main thing I stayed away from "Prell Shampoo" it made me look like I had 50 pounds of hair. You could check it out and see if the benefits outweigh the risk. I don't know what it contains... but I do know it makes your hair fuller and thicker looking. Bending over while drying your hair will give you more volume. :)

jivete
September 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Did you just get sweaty dancing? I know part of the problem I have with my thinner, wavier hair is the tendancy for the hair to clump together and not look as full. And when I sweat, well it's even worse. The only thing that makes my hair look fuller is more frequent washing. But since I'm pretty sure that's damaging, I just accept it as it is.

nimeera
September 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Did you just get sweaty dancing? I know part of the problem I have with my thinner, wavier hair is the tendancy for the hair to clump together and not look as full. And when I sweat, well it's even worse. The only thing that makes my hair look fuller is more frequent washing. But since I'm pretty sure that's damaging, I just accept it as it is.

Oh I don't mind the way the length clumps a little. Sometimes it just gets fluffy. Sometimes it gets clumpy. Either way is good. What I don't want is parts of my scalp showing through the top.

It might be clumpier than usual because I tried something new this time - I put it in rollers to make the ends neater, and didn't really do more than finger comb quickly when I took the rollers out (just before I arrived at the party).

GlassEyes
September 28th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Definitely trim (sorry). I'd suggest microtrims - Emichee has successfully thickened her hemline by cutting half of each month's growth.
I think that might be more from sweat and lots of activity than a truly thin hemline.

But yeah, trimming length as it thickens up can help it become fuller. as far as increasing scalp thickness, maybe monistat or megatek? Eating healthy and such helps too-- a healthy body means healthy hair, usually.

vindo
October 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
I think that might be more from sweat and lots of activity than a truly thin hemline.

But yeah, trimming length as it thickens up can help it become fuller. as far as increasing scalp thickness, maybe monistat or megatek? Eating healthy and such helps too-- a healthy body means healthy hair, usually.

I sounds like she is more concerned with fuller hair around the head which differs from person to person. Some hair keeps itself away from the scalp well, whereas some lays flatter.
Fuller and therefore heavier ends can contribute to flattening, so I would only go that route as long as it works for the fullness you wish to have around the scalp.

Oh and I have trimmed ALL my growth over the past year...half does not do as much.:p

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 3rd, 2009, 05:32 PM
We have a very similar hair type and style :) Are you cone free? When I switch to using cones my hair is always much thinner and flatter.. using no-cones its very thick around the hairline and thins out towards the ends (I have layers which I hate!) and I started using shampoo bars that I also found to give great body. If I wear my hair down I will need to aloe & oil it to keep the flyaways and frizz at bay but putting up it always gives me a lot of volume. HTH :flower:

KnightsLady
October 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Gluten intolerance has been linked to thinning hair.

Avoiding shampoo might be worth a try.

ETA: Essential oils have been used by some people here with very good results.

piratejenny23
October 9th, 2009, 06:48 AM
do you take biotin?

i have a lot less hair falling out since i started taking it, and a lot more new growth, AND it's growing about 1/2" faster per month! i take 5mg/day

i've also been reading that sulfur increases hair growth. i just tried it for first time yesterday.

i've read good things about diatomaceous earth, too, and started taking that about 2 weeks ago. too soon to tell about growth, but there seems to be less hair in the brush.

for temporary fullness, cornstarch/baby powder is amazing! i don't know if using it regularly might dry your hair out? i tried it a few times to cut down on washing, and it looked like i had 3 times as much hair!
it got a little gooey when i got sweaty, though :brains:

Anje
October 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Have you tried clipping your roots when your hair is drying? I just gave it a try for a little while last night, using those salon alligator clips and clipping long narrow sections of hair so that the roots were held going straight out from my head. I didn't even leave it in til my hair was dry, and I've got more root volume than usual today.

HTH

bgarrison
October 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
How's your (animal) protein intake? That might help with new hair growth.

Arniky
October 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM
nice hope you get the fullness as well