PDA

View Full Version : Your funny/awkward/most frustrating stages...?

Wicked Princess
September 27th, 2009, 09:14 PM
SLIGHT TMI WARNING!

So today, I was lazy and changed out of my night clothes/sleeping braid around 2pm, heh. I have my nice, relaxing morning tea and decide it's finally time to take a shower! Now, normally I get undressed and then comb my hair gently out of its braid, which I do in front of me, but today, I combed my hair out of it's braid and then went to get undressed. So I toss my hair behind me, move to hang up my robe and...

...and jump like a scared ninja cat because I wasn't expecting my hair to brush against my butt that way! I fell, of course, because I lack all forms of grace, and because I think the universe is trying to say that my hair obsession will be the death of me.

My fiancé burst into the room (I apparently yelped) and found me on the floor laughing so hard there were tears. I ended up wearing my hair down for the rest of the day, trying to get used to the feel of it.

I shouldn't have been shocked. Intellectually, I know my hair is mid-butt length right now, but I keep my hair up so often these days that I only take it down when I'm combing it and putting it in a braid for the night...which I usually do in front of me. I hadn't really made the connection between the "feel" of mid-bum length hair and "knowing" that it was that length.

As pleased as I am at the feel of my new length, I can really see this becoming an awkward stage in my growth really fast.

So...I thought I'd share my amusing story from today...and also pose a question!

So far, what has been the most amusing/awkward/frustrating stage for you while you were growing your hair? A length you were trying to get past (Like mid-butt)? Growing out layers before striving for greater lengths? And how did you get keep yourself sane while getting past it?

Brat
September 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I have just thrown myself into a frustrating stage. My hair was soft, healthy, had very few split ends... I had grown out old highlights and color, was very nice. Then, I got highlights. Didn't like them, so had them done again. This was just over a year ago. So, used deposit only color for a while, keep it one nice even color. Decided to henndigo. Looked very good, but indigo faded. Did it twice more. Thought it had faded completely, as my hair was a reddish brown... not really very dark at all. Yup, thought the indigo was gone. Went to get highlights. Not so good... hello damage! Hello green streaks! Hello another round of deposit only color to get rid of my 3 inch long set of blond stripes that will show up every now and then. Wonder how they'll look as they get further down the length..

Oh, and hello rough, porous hair texture once again. And lots of damage from the girl ripping the brush through my hair. Lots of thickness on the ends lost.

Frustrating. Why can't I just leave it be? It used to be fabulous!

KaasKnot
September 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
TMI warning

I can't remember exactly what length it started happening, but as my hair grew longer I started finding more and more hairs where they really shouldn't be after showers. The first time I actually noticed I was going to the bathroom and whoops! I pulled out a hair! I couldn't figure out whether to laugh or barf...

hmmm
September 28th, 2009, 04:57 AM
TMI Warning Again

KaasKnot - That happened to me too! When my hair was longer, anyway... especially when I washed it, I'd have to spend the last rinse getting it out and making sure there was none there! Lol!

Elvi
September 28th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I was having a low ponytail in armpit long hair for years and years until I got very bored with that plain careless style. So I found LHC when seeking new styles from the net. :idea:

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 05:49 AM
:lol: My hair scared me few times, since it's got longer than it was for the past 10 years. I found myself budging in fright because I thought a spider was climbing on me, when it actually was me hair. :doh:

I also managed to dip my hair into my green tea not so long ago, when usually I'm good at keeping it out of places it shouldn't be in. Definitely getting long! :D

pinklemonade
September 28th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I have just thrown myself into a frustrating stage. My hair was soft, healthy, had very few split ends... I had grown out old highlights and color, was very nice. Then, I got highlights. Didn't like them, so had them done again. This was just over a year ago. So, used deposit only color for a while, keep it one nice even color. Decided to henndigo. Looked very good, but indigo faded. Did it twice more. Thought it had faded completely, as my hair was a reddish brown... not really very dark at all. Yup, thought the indigo was gone. Went to get highlights. Not so good... hello damage! Hello green streaks! Hello another round of deposit only color to get rid of my 3 inch long set of blond stripes that will show up every now and then. Wonder how they'll look as they get further down the length..

Oh, and hello rough, porous hair texture once again. And lots of damage from the girl ripping the brush through my hair. Lots of thickness on the ends lost.

Frustrating. Why can't I just leave it be? It used to be fabulous!

Oh I know how you feel! I permed my hair a couple of years ago, didn't like the way it turned out and wanted more curls so permed it again. Then I didn't like how messy it looked so I started to straighten it with my straightener! Bad idea!!!
Going through an awkward stage now...layers, growing out perm, splits....but no I don't wanna cut my hair!!!
Sometimes I think if I just stop looking at my hair and analyzing it all the time, it would be better cause then I would let it be!

Hiriel
September 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
TMI warning

I can't remember exactly what length it started happening, but as my hair grew longer I started finding more and more hairs where they really shouldn't be after showers. The first time I actually noticed I was going to the bathroom and whoops! I pulled out a hair! I couldn't figure out whether to laugh or barf...

This happens to me all the time, I'm actually very used to it. My hairs also end up in places they shouldn't be on my boyfriend's body, not only mine.

My most annoying stage was years ago growing out my fringe. Gah. Got to love that length where it can completely cover your eyes, but it won't go into the ponytail.

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM
My most annoying stage was years ago growing out my fringe. Gah. Got to love that length where it can completely cover your eyes, but it won't go into the ponytail.
Mine is chin length, still not going into the ponytail.
:justy:

Rohele
September 28th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Anything above my shoulders. It's too short to do anything with, and it's too short to air dry and look decent with the waves, so it's either suffer with ugly hair, or heat style it.

Little_Bird
September 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Well, my biggest problem so far was reaching waist lenght. It really was a pain for me. For me, long hair started at that lenght. Now I am obssessed again about mid butt at least, but that's another story.

I think that from waist down, it's all awkward to me, because it seems to grow much slower, altough the tape measure shows the same growth it always did (more or less).

Anyways, once I read that where the body curves, the hair has a tendency to seem to take more time to grow... waist inclueded... so maybe it's just that :p

And by the way, that was a very funny story :) You must have felt so happy :flower:

Armelle
September 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hm, I'd say having hair shorter than APL...can you say mushroom head? UGH! It's really embarrassing.

Other than that, getting my hair stuck in my armpit. ARG.

Papillonnoir
September 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I feel that right now is a little awkward for me. It's mostly BSLish, but with shorter layers that like to fall out of certain updos, in an unflattering way. Also, my hair is wavy and not heavy enough to fall very well over my back and shoulders. I am looking forward to the day it's long and heavy enough to behave :)

Garnet66
September 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
It seems to me that I've been in an awkward stage since I started growing my hair. First it wouldn't lay flat for anything. Then it was the headband phase with little bits sticking up everywhere. Now I can do two little ponys but still with bits coming out. I keep thinking that all will be well when I can get all my hair in a pony with nothing sticking out. I'll probably hit another awkward stage there too.

missfortune9335
September 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Oh that's such a funny story! lol

For me right now the most akward thing about my hair is learning how to make it look nice without the blowdryer....

Xandergrammy
September 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
My most surprising hair moment in the past few years was the first time I sat on the end of my braid. It happened at work and I was so startled that I jumped up pretty quickly and swiped at my behind and started laughing to myself. One of my coworkers caught the whole thing and we had a good giggle. :gabigrin:

My most awkward stage, though, was this:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/59e1dcab.jpg

Luckily, the longer my hair gets, the more manageable it is. This length was horrendous and gel, bobby pins and headbands were my best friends. :sun:

Tangletizzy
September 28th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Ugh, sitting on it, definitely. I don't know how anyone can stand hair long enough to sit on. I hated it so much that, after 6 years of never cutting or trimming my hair, I very quickly had it trimmed by a good 7 inches. That -hurts-! Even moreso when it's long enough to sit on in a braid, 'cause then your entire head gets jerked violently backwards. Ow. :(

Quixii
September 29th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Gotta admit that growing out my bangs was annoying. (You can see pictures in my album of what I did to it. :lol: )

And I too am nearing that mid-butt abyss. xD Pre-LHC everytime it got long enough to (TMI warning?) drip down the crack, I would trim it back to hip or high tailbone. I'm trying to stick with it now, though.
And then finding those really long hairs when your, ehrm, wiping is a bit.. disturbing. I agree with whoever said "unsure whether to laugh or puke."

Ally<3
September 29th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Nothing could be more awkward than this stage. Too short to look nice out without styling (which I have given up). I miss the long hair days when I could go to bed with it damp and wake up with soft shiney waves that almost hit my waist. Now when I do that it a bit fluff ball!

Arashi
September 29th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I'd say the most awkward stage is the one I'm going through right now.. I'm at about BSL, and I just have way too much hair for it to look nice at this length. I can do shoulder, I can do waist, but anything in between looks very awkward on me. I can't wait until it gets to waist so I won't have to oil/ water/ leave-in condition the heck out of the bottom half of my hair to make it lay right anymore.

lonestargal
September 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Anything above my shoulders. It's too short to do anything with, and it's too short to air dry and look decent with the waves, so it's either suffer with ugly hair, or heat style it.

OMG this is me right now!!!! I can wear in a low pony but the ends stick out everywhere because it's starting to get it's waves but I'm trying sooooo hard not to heat style. To add to it I'm growing out bangs (at my lip) so you can imagine I'm just looking lovely right now. Why oh why did I ever cut my hair????

JamieLeigh
September 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
For me, the frustrating stage was getting past my butt. My hair would get caught on the rivets in my jeans, in my pockets, and if I didn't pull it to the front or hold it out of the way, I'd pull up my pants and trap my hair inside.

Now, at a longer length, I STILL have these problems, but I'm used to it, I guess. And I wear it up a lot. I just went ahead and threw out the jeans that had button-down back pockets. They weren't worth the worry. :p

maegquare
September 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Your story made me laugh! When mine got to that length, I got it stuck in a skirt zipper and had to have my husband help me. Ever end up with the seat of your pants wet because your hair was dripping wet or you sat on it? :o

For me, the most awkward stage was about 10 years ago, when I had a color disaster that somehow left the last eight inches of my waist-length hair bright orange. When I got tired of tucking my braid inside to hide it, I got it cut to shoulder length, and ended up looking like that triangle-haired lady in the Dilbert comic. It seemed like forever to me until it finally got long enough again that it hang down straight and stay behind my shoulders!

LittleOrca
September 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Everything from pixie-to-shoulder then bob cut-to-BSL was awkward for me. My wavy hair liked to do whatever it wanted and was not always happy to listen to me until it was at BSL. Anything above that I had the worst time with, especially with combing in the morning (well, save for pixie on that last comment.)

I will say though, my current state is bothering me too. Not that I want to chop my hair or anything, but I want it to grow faster!

KajiKodomo
September 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
My hair is a pain anywhere from pixie to long enough for a ponytail (about shoulder-length, perhaps a bit longer). When it's a pixie, I have to load it down with gel, because my hair is so thick that it won't lie down, so I end up with big spiky hair.

At the length it is now (chin), it's not long enough for a full pony, and my wave pattern is being wonky, so I end up with half of my hair flipping out and the other half flipping under, or big poufy triangle-hair.

I think my hair is just too thick to have it between pixie and shoulder. :D