PDA

View Full Version : Trimming someone else's hair?

Rebelkat
September 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Alrighty, here's my dilemma. People know I trim my own hair, so some of my friends and family are coming to me to save money. Now, I don't mind doing that for them and find it flattering because obviously they think I'm doing something right. I have no difficulty trimming longer hair... I just put the hair in the ponytail, slide the band down, and trim below the band. No problem. I'm thinking it's getting about time to trim DBF's hair since it's been over 8 months since he's had a cut, trim, or anything like that. The problem is... I can't use the system I've been using with everyone else I do this for on him. Since his hair is growing out from really short, he has kind of this... natural layer thing going on. Only about 70% of his hair can reach the ponytail at this time and his hair ranges from chin length to APL when pulled straight. Any suggestions on how to trim it?

Papillonnoir
September 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM
What I do is section the hair horizontally with clips. I usually do three sections on shoulder length or longer, but on shorter hair, you probably want to do more. Then I pull the hair either straight up, or at an angle, so the layers are aligned. Like, if he has layers from growing out a short cut, I'd guess you would want to pull the hair on the crown up, and the hair on the sides of the head out, basically as if the hair was really wiry and standing straight up from the root. Pull small sections at once, and just trim the ends. If his hair is a little wavy or curly, small imperfections should blend. If it's super straight, maybe try feathering the ends a little by holding the scissors vertical and taking small snips. And if you're unsure, just take off a little less than he wants, since you can always trim more.

Heidi_234
September 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM
RK, I trimmed mine, and a friend's layered hair. What I do it to section it into rather small sections (not randomly! sections that make sense, horizontally but not too wide), align the ends to be the same length and dust them.

I second Papillonnoir, if his hair is not straight, any imperfections will not show.

Bluebell
September 29th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Maybe a bit like this?

It is a three part tutorial, this is the first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmQctICNlRA