PDA

View Full Version : Layered hair (all over)?

pinklemonade
September 27th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie and I'm very excited to be here! First of all, this forum is fantastic!!! Second of all, I noticed from the posts that all of you have such beautiful hair and I'm jealous...I hope to grow my hair as beautiful as you! :)

My hair isn't actually that short, it's just that it's extremely layered (will post pics later on) and I want much longer hair. The longest layer reaches my bra strap if not longer (I'm not sure if I understood correctly from other posts but I'm thinking it's the part where you hook your bra together?).

The problem is that the shortest layers are like mid head level (so it's as if I have a pixie cut) and then I have layers all over the place (chin level, neck level) all around my head. Layered looks are supposed to look great, I've always got layered looks all my life, but my hair looks like a mess. So to make a long story short: what should I do, or what could I do?? The dilemma is that I want my hair to grow, I want it to grow beautiful and healthy but it looks scraggly with all these different lengths. I don't ever wanna step in a hairdresser again because of this (I asked for layers on the strands that frame my face like Jenniffer Annniston, and instead I got a choppy haircut all over!!!).

Thanks to the LHC I've recently been doing the S&D method which I'm so happy to have discovered! Thing is I have many split ends because of perms/straighteners etc used. I guess since I absolutely don't wana cut it, I'll just continue doing S&D. Do you think this is a good decision too? Cause I did notice many splits that really went far up which is making me worried. I'm just frustrated because this layered look that I have makes the split ends more noticeable and I can't reach all of the splits because my hair is so short at the top/back.....sorry for the long post, needed to vent a little! Does anyone else have very layered hair?

heatherdazy
September 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Wow, that is an insane amount of layering. If your goal is fewer layers or one length hair, you will need to cut your length little by little while allowing your layers to grow down.

I'm sorry you have a problem trusting hairstylists because of one bad apple. If you are very clear during your consultation before the haircut, you should not have a problem getting what you asked for.

Jeepchick99tj
September 27th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I suggest going to a good salon, preferably one which keeps their beauticians up to date with latest trims and hair cutting techniques. They should be good at trimming up the split ends in your layers without removing more length then what is necessary. The girl I went to before I moved was amazing at trimming my layers without messing them up and hacking away.
I got bored with the layers, and decided to get rid of them, and just finished growing my shortest layer out to an acceptable length, and then had it all cut even. I'm still growing out the bangs, which are now past chin length. Instead of getting upset about it, I see it as giving me something to watch grow and keep me from boredom!

spidermom
September 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM
My hair stylist helped me grow out my layers by trimming about 1/4 inch off my length and 1/8 inch off my layers every 6-8 weeks. By the end of about 2-3 years, I had no more layers and my length increased by about 12-18 inches.

Lamb
September 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I suggest going to a good salon, preferably one which keeps their beauticians up to date with latest trims and hair cutting techniques.
Actually, if the OP wants to grow out her layers little by little, it might be a better idea to go to a cheap salon or a barber's shop and ask for a trim straight across from the bottom. My problem with "up to date" salons is that they are more likely to give you a "style" than a trim - which often means trimming the existing layers, too, when what the OP wants is get rid of her layers, so trimming them would be counterintuitive.

OP, in your case, I'd probably have 1 inch trimmed from the bottom every 3 months if your goal is to even out the layers while still getting some growth. If you can tough it out, wait until the shortest layer is at around BSL, and even everything out then. (That would likely be a huge chop, though.)

Brat
September 27th, 2009, 05:29 PM
If it was me, I would trim just the ends of the longest length every couple of months. In fact, that's about what I did LOL.

I no longer trust salons either. After several attempts at the kind of "highlights" I wanted, and none of them at ALL getting even close, I will be super pushy and super aware and super questiony next time. Which will be a while until the indigo grows out...

Anyway, happy growing!

crystal_89
September 27th, 2009, 10:17 PM
After I got an oddly layered haircut in May last year, I waited a few months, got a couple of trims to fix it up a bit temporarily, and then got it all trimmed back to APL from past waist length in January/February? this year. I'm nearly at BSL again.

You might find that if you let it grow a bit and every few months get a hairdresser to reshape the layers while still growing them out, you may find your hair more bearable until you can cut back to a length where you can get rid of the layers.

juliaxena
September 27th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Oh dear, and I thought I had bad layers in the past. I cut most (if not all) off in one cut last week and I must say it's a huge relief. I was going through agony. But then my hair was not as long as yours and my shortest layer was still actually almost half an inch beyond chin lenght.

pinklemonade
September 28th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Thank you ladies for your suggestions and feedback- you are all so sweet!
I'm still too worried to step into a salon now and I'm unsure on what to do about those shorter layers, because if I keep getting them trimmed, then when will they grow out?? lol I'm like hoping for a miracle and that they will somehow grow at least chin level soon!!!

Yes ladies, I don't trust any of the hairstylists I've gone to- each time I end up with a cut I don't like, and the last time I went I mentioned my split ends and asked for a deep conditioning hair mask or something. You won't believe what he put in my hair: ALCOHOL! Pure alcohol!!! He said it has reinvigorating properties and that hair cuticles open up from the heat of the alcohol and that all my split ends would be mended together--I'm never going back there again that's for sure!
I think I'm gonna just let the layers grow and when the ends get bad, I'll just go for a TINY trim (to ANOTHER hairdresser lol) only for the longer ends of my hair. Though obviously I'm gona be getting splits on those shorter ends....maybe S&D will help!

I'm gonna try posting some pics now. Now from these pics, some of you might not see why I'm being so fussy about my hair but trust me, up close my hair looks like it's all over the place. For some reason it doesn't look that bad in pics.

Notice that really short layer at the top of my head? urgh
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Saya-chan/DSC09999-1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Saya-chan/DSC00154-1.jpg
Sideways:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Saya-chan/gettingready2-1.jpg
This is a better picture which really shows all those layers I have which makes my hair look messy and scraggly...
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/Saya-chan/CIMG9881-1.jpg

pinklemonade
September 28th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Oh dear, and I thought I had bad layers in the past. I cut most (if not all) off in one cut last week and I must say it's a huge relief. I was going through agony. But then my hair was not as long as yours and my shortest layer was still actually almost half an inch beyond chin lenght.

Yeah there's something just so frustrating about having many layers because it never looks neat! I can't make braids...when I make a pony tail little strands stick out.. I wish I had the courage like you to off them layers!!!
I forgot to mention that my hair isn't curly but it's not straight either, I got it permed about twice the past two years. It's nearly been a year and my hair still has a bit of the perm (curly) left which makes my hair look even messier!

Arctic
September 28th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I think your hair is stunning! I can understand the frustration of not being able to braid or ponytail or make updos though. Have you seen Feye's self trimming instructions? It's quite easy method for trimming your own hair, you can take control of how much to cut. I'm not sure how it would work with layers but at least you could trim your hemline yourself. I'll come back in the minute to give you a link to Feye's page. :flower:

ETA: Feye's self trimming method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim)

Rapunzal2Be
September 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Okay, I am not taking away from how you feel - but I personally think your hair is beautiful. I think the layers give it a jaunty look, but not messy at all.

But we are our own worst critics, and it is your hair and (alas) not mine. ;) I can certainly understand your frustration at not getting what you wanted at the salon.

I suggest going to a barber shop for your trims - they usually listen better and don't get wild ideas about cutting you a new style. I would trim only your end layer and be patient waiting for your shorter layers to catch up and be trimmed. If you keep trimming them you'll never lose the style you've got now.

As for the splits, I'd say do a lot to pamper your hair. Lots of deep treatments. Maybe consider henna or henndigo? Do you oil your hair? That will go along way to making your hair healthier and smoother as well...

MOrab46019
September 28th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I agree with Rapunzal2Be your hair is beauiful. Good luck in whatever you do.

juliaxena
September 28th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I agree, your hair looks very nice. I think guys would even call it sexy.

Vrushali
September 28th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Pinklemonade my hair is exactly like yours. Infact its almost the same length (I am a little past BSL) and I can completely understand how frustrating it can be. But don't worry, with all the great tips you will get here you will have great looking healthy hair in no time!:cheese:

Fractalsofhair
September 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I'd suggest just getting a teensy bit trimmed off each time, every 6 weeks till your hair is all one length, which would be about 2 years. Go to a cheaper salon that caters to older people. They tend to not be as "Razor cut and flat iron style" ish. They'll likely listen to you more.

Yayasmurf
September 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I have always had a layered hair cut until I finally started REALLY letting it grow out. Mine looked just like yours :) but I didn't do anything to it.. except let it grow. After it got to around waist length I started trimming it once in a while. Not very often. My top length is now below my shoulders. I love all my different lengths... it makes for prettier rolled styles. But I have to admit it is not quite as easy to bun.

Your hair is very beautiful... let it grow, let it grow, let it grow :D

Clarisse
September 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Your hair has such nice color and shine :)

I do understand the problems with the layers though... I'm growing out layers too.
I trim my layers once a year and my length every 3 months. When I get to waist (my goal length), I'll maintain untill I don't have any layers left.

If you have a lat of courage, you can cut your hair to about APL to get a more even hemline. But if you're more like me, just trim the length more than the layers. And when you reach your goal, maintain untill you havent got any layers left.
If you want layers, but want to cut them yourself and don't want as choppy layers, bend forwards / flip your hair upside down, cut a blunt hemline and flip your hair backwards. Hope you understood what I ment :p
I do that, when I trim my layers :)

katydid317
September 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I totally get how you feel OP. My hair doesn't have quite so many layers but my last cut months ago was basically done with a razor. I initially loved how it looked, and I still do mostly, but now that I am trying to grow it out I dislike that it is so thinned out and difficult to put up. A regular ponytail is fine, but buns - especially with a hair stick - seem impossible. My plan was just to let it keep growing, and trim bottom only until it starts to even and thicken out a bit.

p.s. your hair really does look lovely though

Debra83
September 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side. I love your hair. You have length AND variety. If my hair were thicker and "straighter" I think I would probably try out your cut for myself!!!

pinklemonade
September 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I think your hair is stunning! I can understand the frustration of not being able to braid or ponytail or make updos though. Have you seen Feye's self trimming instructions? It's quite easy method for trimming your own hair, you can take control of how much to cut. I'm not sure how it would work with layers but at least you could trim your hemline yourself. I'll come back in the minute to give you a link to Feye's page. :flower:

ETA: Feye's self trimming method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim)
Wow thank you Arctic, I didn't think/know about self trimming- thank you for sharing the link!! :)

pinklemonade
September 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Thank you Rapunzal2Be, I will def. trim my lower layer only. and thank you for the compliment! I recently started oiling my hair (leave EVO overnight) but I had difficulty washing it out. I end up using so much shampoo that I think it defeats the purpose, drying out my hair! :( I do put a few drops of almond/jojoba oil after I wash it though....
Thank you for the compliment too, You have luscious hair!!

pinklemonade
September 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Thank you for the compliment, can't wait to grow it out though!!

pinklemonade
September 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I agree, your hair looks very nice. I think guys would even call it sexy.

:p Wish I would find it sexy! but that's sweet, thank youu! You have Beautiful hair juliaxena!

berr
September 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
You look really cute with your bangs pulled back. I'd go for headbands and periodic length trims. I hated my hair when it was layered at my chin. I tilt my head sideways when I eat tacos so I'd end up with hair in my mouth. ugh.

pinklemonade
September 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Pinklemonade my hair is exactly like yours. Infact its almost the same length (I am a little past BSL) and I can completely understand how frustrating it can be. But don't worry, with all the great tips you will get here you will have great looking healthy hair in no time!:cheese:

Thank you for the encouragement, LHC is definitely an awesome place!!!

I'd suggest just getting a teensy bit trimmed off each time, every 6 weeks till your hair is all one length, which would be about 2 years. Go to a cheaper salon that caters to older people. They tend to not be as "Razor cut and flat iron style" ish. They'll likely listen to you more

Thank you Fractalsofhair, that's exactly the kind of salon I want to go to when I desperately need a trim! :)

I have always had a layered hair cut until I finally started REALLY letting it grow out. Mine looked just like yours :) but I didn't do anything to it.. except let it grow. After it got to around waist length I started trimming it once in a while. Not very often. My top length is now below my shoulders. I love all my different lengths... it makes for prettier rolled styles. But I have to admit it is not quite as easy to bun.

Your hair is very beautiful... let it grow, let it grow, let it grow

Thank you for the compliment Yayasmurf! I agree that layers are nice (they always say layers give more 'shape' or bounce/volume) but I feel the layers I have are just so untidy...who knows maybe when I get my hair completely even I might not like it and miss the layers?!

pinklemonade
September 29th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Your hair has such nice color and shine :)

I do understand the problems with the layers though... I'm growing out layers too.
I trim my layers once a year and my length every 3 months. When I get to waist (my goal length), I'll maintain untill I don't have any layers left.

If you have a lat of courage, you can cut your hair to about APL to get a more even hemline. But if you're more like me, just trim the length more than the layers. And when you reach your goal, maintain untill you havent got any layers left.
If you want layers, but want to cut them yourself and don't want as choppy layers, bend forwards / flip your hair upside down, cut a blunt hemline and flip your hair backwards. Hope you understood what I ment :p
I do that, when I trim my layers :)

Oh no I couldn't cut my hair to APL!!! It would definitely look better and be healthier but...it would take forever to get to the length I have now. So frustrating!Thank you for the compliment!!

pinklemonade
September 29th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I totally get how you feel OP. My hair doesn't have quite so many layers but my last cut months ago was basically done with a razor. I initially loved how it looked, and I still do mostly, but now that I am trying to grow it out I dislike that it is so thinned out and difficult to put up. A regular ponytail is fine, but buns - especially with a hair stick - seem impossible. My plan was just to let it keep growing, and trim bottom only until it starts to even and thicken out a bit.

p.s. your hair really does look lovely though

Thank you! Same here: I loved how my hair looked ages ago, when I stepped out of the salons because the razor thinned out my hair and it initially looked so sleep (even the layers!). Now I have sooo many different layers, and my ex perms make it look even messier...

pinklemonade
September 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side. I love your hair. You have length AND variety. If my hair were thicker and "straighter" I think I would probably try out your cut for myself!!!

So true...I bet if I had straight and even hair, I would want more body/shape! Thank you for the sweet compliment Debra83, I'm flattered that someone would want my extremely messy haircut!!! :) You have beautiful hair, and color too!

basak
September 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I love your hair cut! I'll be no help, as I'm planning to get a very similar hair cut very soon.

Canarygirl
September 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I'm in the same boat with the "lots of layers all over" syndrome (but I don't have your length). I think an important thing to consider is whether you plan to wear your hair down most of the time or if you'd prefer to wear it in updos most of the time. If you plan to wear it down, you might end up missing your layers if you cut them. But if you'd rather wear it up, you'll probably be happier without the layers.

pilateschick7
September 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I totally feel your pain with the layer awkwardness. The longest bits of my straggly hair is almost at waist with heavy layers starting at APL. If I had found LHC prior to the cut in November of 2008 I would be solidly at waste.:(

My true irritation is that while my hair has finally grown out to the point where I can make a bun, my braid waves look horrid. On LHC members with fairy tale ends or blunt cut the braid waves look amazing.

I would definitely look into investing in quality scissors devoted to hair use only. Tweezerman is a popular brand for many LHC members. You can find them on Ebay and at Sally's Beauty Supply.

On a side note, your layers some of the best I have seen. It seems to have the length and texture of Megan Fox's current cut.