PDA

View Full Version : My scalp isn't happy with SLS or without .. ideas?

ambychelle
September 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
So after my big shed started this summer, I switched from my SLS shampoos (all different kinds.. but mostly herbal essence (the pink one) and cost cutters green tea shampoo) to non SLS shampoos (pureology or giovanni TTTT) hoping it would help. It really didn't change the shed rate at all.

But with the non-SLS poos, my scalp is itchy the next day and I can scritch with a fine toothed comb or lightly with fingernails and I have lots of white sebum (I assume it's sebum because it smells like sebum) and a few flakes like my scalp just isn't clean. This extra sebum makes my scalp itchy.

So, I alternate between the non-sls poos and sls poos which worked for a week or so but now when I wash with SLS, my scalp is dry and itchy the day after washing and with teh non-sls, it's oily and itchy the day after washing.

So, I tried to water down the sls poo to do a low poo kind of thing and even though I thought I got my scalp really clean, the next day.. itch itch itch and oily scalp.

If it matters, I do aussie 3MM on my length while I wash my scalp and then after, I use suave coconut co on my length and rinse for several minutes.

My hair is fine, but my scalp is just so unhappy being too dry or too oily. It seems the more I use a BBB, the more sebum my scalp produces.

So, I'm sure I need to try a different shampoo. Perhaps a different kind of sulfate? I'm really not happy with the two non-SLS poos I've tried even though they seem to be well loved by everyone else. Maybe I need to do a brown sugar scrub with non-sls poo?

And to top it all off, every time I change things up even a little (don't even ask how many hairs I shed when I tried a little ACV rinse.. it was awful), I seem to get massive shedding so I'm always fearful of trying anything new.

Does the kind of sulfate (ammonium, sodium..) seem to affect how your scalp reacts?

Thanks for listening to me whine! My DH thanks you too since he's SO tired of listening to it :p

nyemelis
September 27th, 2009, 01:20 PM
First off, I seem to have the same problem with my BBB.

Also, if you are scratching and checking your scalp a lot, that can make your scalp even more irritated. It's true in my case, anyway. Just like when my BBB "stimulates" my scalp, my fingers do the same. It can be a vicious cycle when you're concerned about the sebum under your fingernails and checking every now and then.

Arctic
September 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I have found aloe vera to help with my scalp.

My scalp is greasy and sensitive and prone to dandruff. I can't CO or use oil or I get scalp acne. I tried diluting shampoo but didn't like it: both my hair and scalp like the undiluted SLeS shampoo best.

I have experimented with different things and the only one that had helped me and that has CONTINUED to help me is aloe vera (gel or juice). I use it this way: After my hair wash I mix some aloe vera (gel or juice) with few drops of essential oils in my hand. I usually use lavender and rosemary EOs. I bend down from waist and apply gently and evenly on scalp. It never makes hair look greasy or anything and can be used when hair is dry too.
When I still had irritated scalp it immediately calmed my skin and now I have had healthy, non-irritated scalp for a loooong time, thank to this treatment after every wash. I have also been dandruff free for the whole time! :joy: I highly recommend it!

ambychelle
September 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
It's possible I'm overstimulating my scalp because it itches and I can't stop messing with it.

I have a couple of tubes of aloe vera gel that we used on sunburns this summer but both have other stuff in them that I don't quite know what is. This is what I have.. http://walgreens.com/store/catalog/Burn-Care/Aloe-Vera-Gel/ID=prod1609124&navCount=0&navAction=push-product

Does anyone know if that would work?

Thanks for the advice!

adiapalic
September 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
What kind of conditioner are you using, and how do you wash with it?

I had an itchy scalp/dandruff problem. I thought it was the shampoo, but figured out that it was because I used to put conditioner on my scalp/roots.

Now I only shampoo with non-SLS shampoo, and only condition my length, because my scalp produces plenty of its own oils. I think putting conditioner on my scalp was overloading it with too much oils. No more itchies or dandruff since then. :) HTH

Arctic
September 29th, 2009, 04:54 AM
It's possible I'm overstimulating my scalp because it itches and I can't stop messing with it.

I have a couple of tubes of aloe vera gel that we used on sunburns this summer but both have other stuff in them that I don't quite know what is. This is what I have.. http://walgreens.com/store/catalog/Burn-Care/Aloe-Vera-Gel/ID=prod1609124&navCount=0&navAction=push-product

Does anyone know if that would work?

Thanks for the advice!

I googled it's ingredients, is this the same as yours?

Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea

It seems like an ok option, ideal product would be as pure as possible. Important thing is that it doesn't have alcohol, pain killers, etc and it actually has aloe vera as a main ingredient :D If you're unsure, try it out maybe on a small patch on your nape and see if it works and doesn't irritate (but since you have already used the product I think it will be fine!), I think that will be a good product :)

I think adding the essential oils in to the aloe is also important part that it has helped my scalp, so I highly recommend lavender essential oil also :flower:

EvaSimone
September 29th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I use non SLS Giovanni 50/50 and my scalp gets itchy and the white gunky build up. I also will get flakes if I scratch. What helps me is to get my hair and scalp wet and then apply Jojoba oil all over my scalp and rub it in. Then I will just let the oil sit on my scalp over night and then I wash it out the next day. My scalp won't be itchy or greasy for weeks. I have to do this about once a month.

I've always thought that the itchiness and flakiness was from my scalp being dry and the fact that jojoba oil helps makes me suspect that it's dryness.

julliams
September 29th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I tried olive oil on my scalp and it soothed the itchies away immediately. I have been oiling my scalp before bed every 3 days or so since then and I would say that itchiness is not a problem for me anymore. I guess that's a dry scalp. I've just bought coconut oil and I'm trying it at present.

Juliette

spidermom
September 29th, 2009, 06:58 AM
You could try an ALS (ammonium lauryl sulfate) shampoo. You could also experiment with different levels of dilution. I'd recommend that you keep oil and conditioner off your scalp.

yuccalyptus
October 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I had a very similar experience. My scalp itchiness wouldn't go away no matter what I tried. The only thing that has worked is Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo with 3% salicylic acid. It's a little bit pricey for the size of the bottle but it is SO worth it. It leaves my scalp feeling great and something about it (I think maybe the salicylic acid content) really detangles and smooths my hair. I barely have to use conditioner afterward.

Tinose
October 4th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I'd experiment with aloe and massaging (no fingernails, just firm fingertips) your scalp when it itches. I've never had scalp problems, but I tend to get horribly itchy elsewhere and it's the only thing that helps. Maybe some honey, too? It's a humectant and can contain peroxide, so I imagine that it might help if the problem's either dryness or bacterial.

motormuffin
October 4th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I had a very similar experience. My scalp itchiness wouldn't go away no matter what I tried. The only thing that has worked is Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo with 3% salicylic acid. It's a little bit pricey for the size of the bottle but it is SO worth it. It leaves my scalp feeling great and something about it (I think maybe the salicylic acid content) really detangles and smooths my hair. I barely have to use conditioner afterward.
This works for me too.