PDA

View Full Version : Hair shed, medication and supplements

bjt
September 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hi folks--I know there are various threads about hair shedding but I wasn't sure which to post in since they all seem to be specific to some problem. I wanted to talk a little more generally about it, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I have found when I have to take *any* medication for some length of time (more than a week or two, I currently am taking something for a 1 year cycle), my hair sheds more than usual. Its always quite alarming. From careful observation over the last few years, it really doesn't seem to matter which medication I'm using (so I'm not going to even mention them)... they all do this to me.

usually when I bruch my hair (wet or dry), I only have to clean it out once a week or so--so I'm only loosing a small amount of hair every day. With the medication, I can fill up a brush from one or two brushings, so I'm clearly losing a lot more.

I've learned a few things, though. First, I am not loosing enough to have bald spots or anything like that (even though the hair I'm loosing looks alarming). I'm just slightly thinner, and have a little more breakage.
Second, with the help of this forum, I've discovered some things that have really helped me slow this down. I'm taking Selenium (200 mcg) and Biotin (1000mcg) daily, along with folic acid and the occational zinc (27mg--I don't take this one daily just cause I need to take it with a lot of food or it upsets my stomach. So I take it a few times a week with dinner when I remember). These supplements seem to *really* help.
Third, I'm trying cone free products and my hair seems to like that.
Fourth, I avoid combing or brushing my hair when wet as much as possible. I loose more hair when its wet, so if I wait for it to dry first I don't loose as much. I also avoid comb/brushing it more absolutely necessary, usually just once in the morning.
and of course, lots of coconut & jojoba oil, and good conditioners--I'm using Aubrey Organics Island Natural or whatever its called and my hair seems to love that one.

so, that's what I'm doing right now that's working well for me. anyone have other ideas or experiences they care to share?