PDA

View Full Version : Heavy oilings and non-sulfate poo

Vrushali
September 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I had a question about heavy oilings and non-sulfate poo. I have been experimenting with no-cones and no-SLS for a while and it seems that a no-SLS poo cannot get the oil out of my hair. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a little oil left over but it just leaves my hair greasy and oily. I wash my hair once a week so I do a heavy oiling the night before with a mix of EVOO and coconut oil. When I use diluted SLS (Loreal) to shampoo, it takes the oil out nicely and since I CWC, it leaves some oil on the length but cleans the scalp thoroughly but when I use no-SLS (Giovanni tea tree therapy), my scalp and hair are an oily mess.

So my question is for those who don't use SLS shampoo: Am I doing something wrong? Am I putting in way too much oil in my hair? Is there a way out?

marikamt
September 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I have had no issue removing coconut oil w/ sls free..... could it be the EVOO?? I think that is a heavier oil and harder to get out to begin with.......

Heidi_234
September 27th, 2009, 08:08 AM
EVOO is indeed heavier and harder to remove, enough though I did it with soapnuts and shampoo bars. Many people swear by COing to remove heavy oiling. Shampoos, SLS or not, don't seem to do a good enough job. If simple COing doesn't cut it, try leaving in the conditioner for a while (say half an hour), and then rinse it out.

krissykins
September 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Have you tried using just conditioner to wash it out (the CO method)? I am CO exclusive and it cleans my hair wonderfully while leaving it moisturized after a deep oiling.

Vrushali
September 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I have had no issue removing coconut oil w/ sls free..... could it be the EVOO?? I think that is a heavier oil and harder to get out to begin with.......

Thats exactly what I thought! Maybe I'll leave out EVOO the next time.

EVOO is indeed heavier and harder to remove, enough though I did it with soapnuts and shampoo bars. Many people swear by COing to remove heavy oiling. Shampoos, SLS or not, don't seem to do a good enough job. If simple COing doesn't cut it, try leaving in the conditioner for a while (say half an hour), and then rinse it out.

I have read about soapnuts and Indian herbs removing oil really well too. Maybe I'll go get some soapnuts to see how they work. Thanks for the CO tip, I will try it today itself!

Have you tried using just conditioner to wash it out (the CO method)? I am CO exclusive and it cleans my hair wonderfully while leaving it moisturized after a deep oiling.

I did try CO a few times but it left my hair a little oily too. I used Giovanni tea tree therapy. Should I use a heavier or lighter conditioner for CO?

akevita2002
September 27th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I think I'm using a SLS free shampoo, I donno for sure because the ingredients are not listed, but I suspect it's SLS free because it tastes sweet (unlike the SLS shampoos) and I bought it from Hemel which makes natural products mostly. For curiosity this is the shampoo I'm using: http://www.hemelshop.com/products/shampoo-for-dry-hair

I'm also heavy oiling my hair (with EVOO) and what I do to remove it, is mixing water with shampoo and rising 2 times (I do this because the shampoo is concentrated). If it's not working for you, maybe you should use more shampoo?
I oil and wash my hair 2 times / week, sometimes the oil is not completely removed, but it's just a little and it doesn't bother.

I forgot to mention that I apply the diluted shampoo only on the scalp and I spread the foam on the length.
I tried soapnuts on my hair, but it never worked for me.

Sissy
September 27th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I have successfully used Suave Clarifying CONDITIONER to remove my heavy oil treatments. I usually use a bit of JASON Biotin shampoo but then slather on the Suave Clarifying conditioner and that usually does the trick.

krissykins
September 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I did try CO a few times but it left my hair a little oily too. I used Giovanni tea tree therapy. Should I use a heavier or lighter conditioner for CO?

I would try something lighter, like one of the V05 or Suave conditioners. It's what I use. Also, they're very cheap, so if they don't work out, you're not out a whole lot of money ;)

Vrushali
September 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks Krissykins!

Elphie
September 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Suave conditioners remove all of my heavy oilings very well, perhaps you could give that a try.