PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder | Armpit

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

Kaileida
September 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
The last thread about this was in May so I didn't feel quite right resurrecting it! XD
So who is going from about chin/shoulder to APL? How long do you project it's gonna take? What do you do to push it along?

I'm aaaalmost there if I stretch my wurls out. I think it'll be January before I am well and truly there, though, but hey. Time is going pretty fast. It's very nearly October!

As for what I do, I cycle on/off Biotin (it gives me crazy bad skin if I take it all the time!) and CWC. My growth rate slowed down recently and my hair has been splitting right and left recently because I just switched off cones- turns out plastic holds together broken hair well, and when you stop coating the hair with it... it stops working!

If you're past shoulder, did it take you an eternity to get to the next milestone? I feel like I've been stuck here for a long time! But I know it's getting longer. I do.

Anyway, here's a picture. I lost a chunk out of the right side because it got matted when I was clarifying :(. But I just did a protein/moisture treatment so aside from that bit, it actually feels really really nice.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6393/214056.jpg

Post your own! Post your advice! I love to hear from people who are going through similar trials and tribulations to my own.

RancheroTheBee
September 26th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I'm just at shoulder now, and I'm on my way to APL. Should take me about a year, give or take a few months. Reaching shoulder was nice, because I felt like I was finally getting somewhere. Now, I feel like I just need to exercise some patience to get to APL, which will be the the longest my hair has ever been.

Kaileida
September 26th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Oh, and your hair is gorgeous! Looks like mine does in the front with more consistency. Consider me envious!

RocketDog
September 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm almost at APL when my hair is wet, but when it dries is sproings up to a few inches past shoulder. Feels like I've been stuck here forever, mostly because I've got shorter layers in th front. I just trimmed some gnarly ends off last week, and used the 'compact haircutting' method to add some layers in, since I had gotten sick of the way my curly hair just poofed OUT instead of hanging DOWN.

Can't wait to hit BSL, I'm hoping that I can do something more than a sock bun or stubby braid by then!

Kaileida
September 27th, 2009, 12:21 AM
RocketDog- French twists are so the way to go! My (cheating) variation is to stuff all the hair underneath the same way and weave a pencil through it. It doesn't look so polished and pretty but it stays well and impresses people. Guess not a lot of girls know how to only use sticks!

prittykitty
September 27th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Mine is at shoulder length and is longer when I smooth is out with a straightening iron. I have a picture of my curly hair and my straightened hair on my profile. I am not sure how long it will take but I finally quit using the cones for a while. I also cannot CO wash only. I tried this last week and my scalp felt ok at first but got so oily during the day. I have an oily complexion to begin with and kind of wondered if this may happen. So now I continue to wash my hair every day with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and then use a leave in conditioner on my damp hair. All of these are no cone. When my hair is almost dry naturally I add a little bit of coconut oil to my hair from the middle down to the ends. It seems to work great and has taken away the frizz and my hair feels so soft and easy to comb through. I use organic, unrefined virgin coconut oil that I got from a health food store that sells natural products. I slightly blow dry my hair to smooth it a little. Then sometimes I still smooth it with the straightener. I am trying to get away from the heat styling so I am looking for a style that I can wear that is wash and go while my hair grows out. I am guessing that by next summer my hair may be at least 6 inches past my shoulders, that is if I take very good care of it. The biggest problem I have is that the fried part of my hair breaks off sometimes but now that I have been using the coconut oil I have noticed that there has been much less breakage.

Lucky
September 27th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Another one lost in the shoulder length no man's land! I also feel like I've been here forever. I was above the shoulders last January and I'm well past my collar bone now, but I'm in that awful length that seems like it never changes of "past my shoulders but not anywhere near APL!" My growth has currently slowed considerably (I think due to my pregnancy), it'll be interesting to see if it picks up after the baby's born.
I'm trying benign neglect, I don't have a set routine aside from washing and conditioning. I've played around with Mega Tek to rather mixed results. It seems to boost my growth a bit for a few weeks, then the results taper off and I go back to slow growth. I've had a lot of trims this year (3 since January), which has definitely had an effect on my growth rate, but I'm so prone to splits that I kind of have to get 1/4 inch or so trimmed off every 3-4 months.

Good luck to all those in the "shoulder to APL" club!!

honeybrown1976
September 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I've been here forever it seems. However, I'm inching closer to APL and I might be there by the end of December - early January!!!

viking_quest
September 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I'm past APL but it felt like such a long time to get from collarbone to APL, when it was only 6 months. Chin to APL took me about 1.25 years.

redneckprincess
September 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I'll be (wet/flatironed) APL in about 3 more inches...give or take... I'm hoping to be there by the end of this year...but maybe Feb..which will make 1 year no cutting...I was..hmmm bottom of my ears or so...(I have pics in my albums) I was at shoulder in June maybe May

I take biotin, pernatels, & gelatin
I reculantly gave up cones and not I wont go back

fluffybunny
September 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I'm there with you. I'm almost at APL. I've been maintaining at shoulder for several years. It's such a "blah" length, I finally decided I needed a change.

HairyCarrie
September 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I expect to be APL by Christmas. I thought November but I've extended it a bit. At any rate when it hits 22" I'm calling it APL whether it's just shy or not. This has been my major milestone for so long I am not waiting any longer than the time/length I've set forth. I'm at 20.5+ so 1.5" to go and that's a good 3 months. I'll check in again then.

sally_neuf
September 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Me! This is my current lenght. (not a very good pic, but it works)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/sal9000/lenght.jpg

I think that 8 months from now I should be APL. To make it more insteresting, I will be wearing my hair in the little ponytail I can do, for two months. WITHOUT looking it at the mirror so I can be happy and notice some changes by december :cheese:

edited: pfff.. 8 months?? what am I thinking? 4-5 should be enough... I hope ..!

cakedcake
September 27th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I think I have graduated from shortie to barely-at-shoulders. So I am here! APL seems like a loooong process. I have at least a year probably. But on the other hand, considering where I started, hurray shoulders!

heatherdazy
September 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM
My hair is just past my shoulders. I'm not doing anything to 'push it along'. I have greatly reduced the frequency I heatstyle, though, so it will be healthier when it's longer.

Honestly, I feel no rush. Whether my hair is apl by New Year's or St Patty's day will not affect my life dramatically enough to stress about it. Every length has some fun or good point that another length does not, so I'm just enjoying it as I go. :)

yellowchariot
September 27th, 2009, 06:20 PM
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6393/214056.jpg

Post your own! Post your advice! I love to hear from people who are going through similar trials and tribulations to my own.

Hey Kaileida,
I'm pretty sure that I'm already at APL. At least my longest layer is anyhow. I had my hair cut back in February So it has taken till this day to get to the length I am now. I'm going for BSL. I should be there around December or January. My hair grows from .70"-.75+" per month. I have noticed that my ponytails and braids are getting longer.

(OFF TOPIC) Next to your Telecaster, I see a Fender amp, it almost looks like a Super Champ tube amp, is it? Those things are awesome! :cool: I've tried out both the 5w and 15w versions! I like them both! The effects sound very organic as well, and not so digital!

prittykitty
September 28th, 2009, 12:54 AM
My hair is just past my shoulders. I'm not doing anything to 'push it along'. I have greatly reduced the frequency I heatstyle, though, so it will be healthier when it's longer.

Honestly, I feel no rush. Whether my hair is apl by New Year's or St Patty's day will not affect my life dramatically enough to stress about it. Every length has some fun or good point that another length does not, so I'm just enjoying it as I go. :)
This is a very good and positive way to look at it.

rapunzhell13
September 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I'm past shoulder and well on my way to APL. I will definitely be there by my birthday in April, but I'm hoping it'll be a lot sooner (possibly by the new year if I get that extra summer growth!) I can't believe I'm even in this group!

halo_tightens
September 28th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I'm with you guys... I'm well past shoulder, but APL seems a mile away! I do think I'm finally growing again, though-- for a little while there, I seemed to be stuck at exactly 20 inches. I can tell I've started gaining length again recently, maybe another quarter-inch or half-inch. (Can't let myself think of more until it happens, lol.)

I'm waiting for BSL too! It just seems like so many more styles will be possible then. In the meantime, let's all encourage each other and hang in there!! :cheese:

Rapunzal2Be
September 28th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Hi Ladies!

I'm at about collar bone and I'm looking forward to APL, but I don't project forward about how long it will take, so that I don't end up stressing over a "deadline." ;)

However, I do a lot to push my growth along. I'm dealing with some hairloss (most likely due to either stress or the hot water I tend to favor in my showers, since a health check came back fine), so I take prenatals, folic acid, biotin, MSM, garlic, B complex, gelatin, and C. Yes, it's a lot, but it keeps me feeling great and has made a big difference in my hair growth/quality.

I use Nioxin (yes, SLS and 'cones) and it is the best shampoo and conditioner I have ever used, hands down. I love the way it makes my hair feel and look - and best of all, within weeks of starting it I saw new baby sprouts along my hairline. Now, months later, I have a halo of 2-3" hairs and I love knowing that a year from now this is all going to pay off with a thicker head of healthy hair.

I also use Monistat and MegaTek (I alternate, and use them about 2-3 times per week) to help it grow faster. I love the Monistat, it really reduces my shedding. The Mega Tek - I hate the fake coconut smell, but I think it is a great protein treatment that strengthens and helps the hair to grow.

So, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

butterflycayton
September 28th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Some layers are shoulder and my longest is getting close to apl. Seems like between shoulder and apl takes forever for me, then it takes off and grows faster...don't know why. I am taking skin, hair, and nails. Trying to eat better, oil the ends. Getting ready to try henna.

Dachsdragon
September 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Im just past shoulder length at the back with some layers at the sides just at shoulder. I get a lot of breakage from colour damage so it seems to be taking awhile to grow.

curls2grow
September 28th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I'm past shoulder length, but I get about 1/4-1/2" trimmed every 2-3 months. My next trim in October, I am planning to get some "face-framing layers" around my face, and maybe a little more trimmed off the back or verrrry slight layering to boing up the back a bit. So I feel like I take 1 step forward + 2 steps back much of the time because my curls look bad if my ends aren't trimmed (the curls on the ends frizz and that just ruins most otherwise good hair days).

So yes, I have been hovering at just below shoulder length for a verrrry long time.

apynip
September 28th, 2009, 03:17 PM
totaly almost like teh tips are brushing shoulderlength so i'm allowed here right? XD if not give me a month. but yea i'm excited for teh growth. People at school have noticed the length which is exciting.

though they mayhave noticed the picture from late august on my art desk. soo.. yea. :/ anyways its there ish.

Canarygirl
September 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I am at shoulder length in the back, just barely brushing shoulder at the sides, and my most-forward hair is at chin length. Bangs are in grow-out mode. It makes styling so challenging! :rolleyes:

LutraLutra
September 29th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Aaarrgh, I'm stuck in shoulder hell! I've spent most of this year being almost at shoulder, then shoulder, then ever so slightly just past shoulder. It's sooooo boring and doesn't look good on me at all. :brickwall Could someone please tell me it gets better at APL!? :(

sandrak
September 29th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Aaarrgh, I'm stuck in shoulder hell! I've spent most of this year being almost at shoulder, then shoulder, then ever so slightly just past shoulder. It's sooooo boring and doesn't look good on me at all. :brickwall Could someone please tell me it gets better at APL!? :(

I feel exactly the same as you!! I am stuck ing the same boat. I feel like my hair is stuck and it is so depressing. I feel for you!

Ally<3
September 29th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I've got about 3cms until APL. But I've got some damage I need to cut out as well, so that's irritating.

Strangely enough, it seemed to fly from sholder to where I am now (must be because I wasn't so focused on it) but now it really seems to be dragging to get to APL and beyond.

Protein! You got to have your protein people! Also lots of water and an a-z vitamin.

Samitra
September 29th, 2009, 03:14 AM
My longest layers are almost APL. It's so close! I hope I'll reach it this year... But I need a trim, so maybe I wont get there until January or February.

If I reach APL in January, it would mean that I got from a very layered cut with longest layers at chin lenght to a slightly layered cut with longest layers at APL in 1 year and 8 months, with several trims to even out the layers.

Ally<3
September 29th, 2009, 03:36 AM
My longest layers are almost APL. It's so close! I hope I'll reach it this year... But I need a trim, so maybe I wont get there until January or February.

If I reach APL in January, it would mean that I got from a very layered cut with longest layers at chin lenght to a slightly layered cut with longest layers at APL in 1 year and 8 months, with several trims to even out the layers.

Aren't layers the worst?! My shortest layers are only a few inches long and are the bane of my existence. Curse them! lol

Samitra
September 29th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Aren't layers the worst?! My shortest layers are only a few inches long and are the bane of my existence. Curse them! lol

Now they are, yes, but when I first started to get my hair layered they allowed me to have that messy hair style I loved so much :D

But now they annoy me, they stop me from doing certain hairstyles since they always fall out. I chose to trim them away slowly, but some days I just want to cut my hair to above shoulder to get rid of the layers!

Margeaux
September 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Just dropping in to wish you all good luck! You'll make it to APL - I managed it last year!

frangipani
September 29th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Sweet, I've been looking for a thread like this, I felt like I was the only one! I am shoulder length , which is typically the point I start getting annoyed and want to cut it all off again cause it seems like it isn't growing
I am really trying to refrain! I went to the hairdresser today to get my color touched up , and I even said no to a trim, pretty good effort hey? :D

Pixna
September 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm at SL, moving downward slowly but surely. I hope to be at APL by March or April of next year. I'm not doing anything to push things along -- mainly trying to stay healthy, eating well, taking basic vitamins (nothing out of the ordinary), exercising (lightly), and engaging in benign neglect. I am hoping that one morning I'll wake up and voila! -- I'll be at APL (or beyond)! :gabigrin:

PurpleAshes
September 29th, 2009, 01:32 PM
My hair is very frustrating :( Right now, when dry it's a bit past shoulder lenght, when wet it's APL and when I stretch it with my hand it's 1 1/2 inches away from BSL.
I have no clue when will it be APL when dry.

halo_tightens
September 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I was thinking about it last night, and I decided that I'd like to be at least at APL by my birthday. That's six months and two days from now... Does that seem reasonable? I want to have some sort of time-frame goal, but I don't want to make it so unreasonable that I'll be disappointed.

Six months would be three inches if I'm exactly average... which I'm not sure if I am or not just yet. Would three more inches do the trick? It's so hard to judge, looking at myself! I can't be objective, lol.

SylphideNoir
September 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Yay, I'm part of this group now! I'm at shoulder now. Not sure when I'll be to the next stage. Benign neglect all the way, baby!!!

Maddy25
October 1st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Hi everyone! I'm currently at collarbone and growing really fast :)
I have been taking Biotin for a long time which helps a lot but I recently also started with MSM, Folic Acid, and a Vitamin B complex. I am getting almost 1" a month and I'll keep you updated!

moonbeam
October 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM
I am about halfway between shoulder and APL. I find it difficult because my hair is so thick and it is hard to do anything other than the dreaded ponytail. I can french braid it now, but they arern't that great at staying in.

KajiKodomo
October 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone! I am just now barely shoulder-length. If I stretch it in the back, it's at shoulder, and the sides and front are about an inch away. :D

I was so happy when I realized that I'm finally at shoulder! My hair poufs up some when it's dry, so it's still going to be a little while before it hits shoulder dry, but I'm okay with that! :D

I'm still S/C, but once it gets a bit longer, I'll move to CWC. I am currently mixing oil and conditioner to put on my ends after washes to keep the ends moisturized (I have really dry coarse hair, and it needs all the moisture it can get, especially on the ends).

I am also currently growing out some dye (going back to my natural haircolor), and am maybe 1.5-2 inches virgin.

Hopefully by January, I'll be solidly shoulder-length when dry! :D

halo_tightens
October 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I find it difficult because my hair is so thick and it is hard to do anything other than the dreaded ponytail.

Me too! I am glad that my hair is nice and thick, but it's irritating that I'll have to wait that much longer before I can do some of the gorgeous updos that I admire so much. I want buns!!!

gibsongirl71
October 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Mine is past my shoulders and at an unflattering length for me. I wear it up most days. I LOVE my Ficcare clips! They have been a lifesaver! Or should I say hairsaver. I am looking forward to BSL. I would like to do more braids but my hair isn't long enough and has some layers.

Samitra
November 2nd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Resurrecting this thread, just to share this:

I've reached APL! Really, it's just barely there, but still!
Here's a pic:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2710&pictureid=54239

Unfortunately I need a trim, so on Friday I might be back on "not yet APL" again.

halo_tightens
November 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Whoo hoo! You did it! :cheese:

Pixna
November 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Yay for Samitra!!!!!! :applause Congratulations -- you are definitely there!!!!!!

DMARTINEZ
November 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Im here but I wish I wasnt......:(

Maddy25
November 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Yay!!! Im guessing I will bve APL by around Christmas or early Newyear!!!!! hurray!

RancheroTheBee
November 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
I'm just at the brushing-shoulder stage now. I hope to have all my layers at APL by this time next year, conservatively, bearing in mind that I may want a trim or two. :p I was waiting to be part of a from x-to-x thread for a while.

redneckprincess
November 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
congrats to you!!!

I am hoping to be by Feb. or so which is one year no cutting anniversary!!

halo_tightens
November 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I wonder when it'll be my turn... I have to keep adjusting my estimates, lol. I didn't expect this phase of growing outward instead of downward!

I can't complain too much, though. :D

Samitra
November 3rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
Thank you :)

I wish you all good growing!

redneckprincess
November 3rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
I measured last night and reached 20" by pulling every last bit of the curl straight...next step to reach 20" wavy

RancheroTheBee
November 5th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I measured last night and reached 20" by pulling every last bit of the curl straight...next step to reach 20" wavy

You're beating me, hardcore. I'm at 17" 1/2 half stretched. The half makes all the difference.

rupertswife
November 6th, 2009, 12:16 PM
My hair is very frustrating :( Right now, when dry it's a bit past shoulder lenght, when wet it's APL and when I stretch it with my hand it's 1 1/2 inches away from BSL.
I have no clue when will it be APL when dry.

Wow you and I have the exact same problem, and very similar hair. We could be twins from the back I bet. Once I get enough posts, I'll be sure to get some current pictures uploaded. I'm in the same club though and would describe my length just like PurpleAshes :face:

Yarn Muse
November 6th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I just joined a few days ago and have had shoulder-length hair for years, it seems. If I am measuring correctly, from front hairline over top of head to the back, I am about 17 inches. I'm not sure when I will reach APL but my hair tends to grow the average 1/2 inch per month, judging by my chemically colored hair from last Dec. that is growing out.

Way to go on all the lovely growing, ladies! When I see all the beautiful hair here, I try not to get discouraged, but ENcouraged. I'm finding things I can do with my hair right now that are fun, and learning about how to have healthier hair.

Happy growing.

*Aoife*
November 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I'd so proud of myself. I haven't been fussing about length recently and I realised today that my hair is officially shoulder length! :)

Next stop APL!!!

RancheroTheBee
November 6th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'd so proud of myself. I haven't been fussing about length recently and I realised today that my hair is officially shoulder length! :)

Next stop APL!!!

Hurray! It's a nice feeling, isn't it?

JaneinMarch
November 6th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I am! I should be at APL by the end of April, maybe May of 2010. Stretched, of course. I look forward to it.

*Aoife*
November 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hurray! It's a nice feeling, isn't it?

Amazing!!! :) Took me 9 months to get here though.

GermanCurl
December 17th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I am finally back at shoulderlength after an unneccessary "out of the blue" haircut (chinlength bob) in May. Next stop APL !! Which means no trimming until October/November 2010.
I have tried to get to APL several times, but this time I am going to do it! Instead of running to the beautician when my hair looks "blah", I will put it in a ponytail and forget about it!

hmmm
December 17th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm finally at shoulder length, with a lot of my layers at chin length... it's getting really difficult at this stage, I find it hard to just let it be because it sticks out everywhere and generally won't behave. I suppose it's only for a while...

GermanCurl
December 17th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I'm finally at shoulder length, with a lot of my layers at chin length... it's getting really difficult at this stage, I find it hard to just let it be because it sticks out everywhere and generally won't behave. I suppose it's only for a while...

Some of my layers are around chin lenght as well, however I had great success putting my hair up in a sock bun (which is one of my favorite up do's right now).

hmmm
December 17th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Some of my layers are around chin lenght as well, however I had great success putting my hair up in a sock bun (which is one of my favorite up do's right now).

Thank you so much! I always thought I needed longer hair to do that, but I tried it just now, and although I couldn't hold it with pins only (I used a scrunchie), it's so comfortable! Here is my first try... I only did it to see if I could, so ignore the messiness:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=57815

Addy
December 17th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I said I wouldn't cut for awhile but after straightening my hair yesterday to check my new layer job, I was appauled and went to a different salon to get the rest of my color treated hair whapped off! :D I love the fact that I have no more chemical dye to grow out! :cool:

HI! My name is Addy and I cut most of my BSL hair off to shoulder to get rid of color! :D I'll be here for awhile and we can grow out together! :)

Here's a pic...

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2992/121709010.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/i/121709010.jpg/)

GermanCurl
December 18th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Thank you so much! I always thought I needed longer hair to do that, but I tried it just now, and although I couldn't hold it with pins only (I used a scrunchie), it's so comfortable! Here is my first try... I only did it to see if I could, so ignore the messiness:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4455&pictureid=57815
Hmmm
your sock bun looks great!
I use a hair bun donut http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://www.lafimages.com/pictures/large/5000106704.jpg&size=18&dhm=9a28c169&hl=en (http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&safe=strict&q=hair+bun+donut&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=incrS-PmMsmEnQf-rYyDCQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQzAMwAA) to make my bun look fuller giving the illusion of longer hair and then a scrunchie over it as well. I think together we can come up with different hairstyles to get us over the awkward stages.

GermanCurl
December 18th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I said I wouldn't cut for awhile but after straightening my hair yesterday to check my new layer job, I was appauled and went to a different salon to get the rest of my color treated hair whapped off! :D I love the fact that I have no more chemical dye to grow out! :cool:

HI! My name is Addy and I cut most of my BSL hair off to shoulder to get rid of color! :D I'll be here for awhile and we can grow out together! :)

Here's a pic...

Hi Addy,
nice shiny hair! It looks very healthy. I think it's great that we can support each other during our journey to APL (and maybe longer...BSL?) I know I will be here for a while as well. Probably thru all of 2010 before I hit APL.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 18th, 2009, 05:55 AM
i have shoulder & almost APL hair too. But goal is waist so, it WILL take a few years for me XD

GermanCurl
December 18th, 2009, 06:00 AM
i have shoulder & almost APL hair too. But goal is waist so, it WILL take a few years for me XD

Dreams in Pink,
sounds like you are a couple of inches ahead of me (I'm at 17"). What kind of hairstyles do you do or can recommend?

nuxa
December 18th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I'm joining :p
I'm shoulder now and APL is my smalest gool... waist is my dream really
So yep, gona be here a long time too hehe :cool:

Lets grow together :cheese:

hmmm
December 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hmmm
your sock bun looks great!
I use a hair bun donut http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://www.lafimages.com/pictures/large/5000106704.jpg&size=18&dhm=9a28c169&hl=en (http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&safe=strict&q=hair+bun+donut&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=incrS-PmMsmEnQf-rYyDCQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQzAMwAA) to make my bun look fuller giving the illusion of longer hair and then a scrunchie over it as well. I think together we can come up with different hairstyles to get us over the awkward stages.

I was thinking to buy those too! The sock doesn't work too well for me. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Addy
December 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hi Addy,
nice shiny hair! It looks very healthy. I think it's great that we can support each other during our journey to APL (and maybe longer...BSL?) I know I will be here for a while as well. Probably thru all of 2010 before I hit APL.

It's so nice to see we're gonna be in this together! I'll be your cheer leader in bad days if you'll be mine! :D The time will feel like it's dragging but it'll fly! It really will. I been here and done this before many times! :)

redneckprincess
December 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM
[COLOR=black]but this time I am going to do it! Instead of running to the beautician when my hair looks "blah", I will put it in a ponytail and forget about it!

I think THAT is the key...because YES you will have aquward lengths that will last for months sometimes, but wacking it off will only make that aquward faze last longer for YEARS maybe!!! I finally frew out some face-framing layers above my ears that when they curl, stick way out in my face So I always cut them off when they did that, this time I didnt, I lived with it and convinced myself...if I dont cut it, it will go away (for good) on its own...and ya know what....IT DID!!! it dosent stick straight out anymore

MINE TOO!!! I love sock buns at this length, its about all we got

It's so nice to see we're gonna be in this together! I'll be your cheer leader in bad days if you'll be mine! :D The time will feel like it's dragging but it'll fly! It really will. I been here and done this before many times! :)

thats the hard part and exactly why Im hanging on to my bleached ends for at least another year...I dont mind going from APL to BSL or BSL to mid back a couple times before I head to waist, Ive never done that before but shoulder to APL... Ive done it probally 100's of times and this is the LAST time

:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

LKayL
December 18th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'm just past shoulder. I estimate that I will be APL by thr middle of next year if I don't trim. I started off at neck two years ago and I have trimmed along the way.
I wrap my hair at night with coconut oil or moisturiser and a satin bonnet.

Kaileida
December 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
LKayL, it would appear you only have a tiny bit more to go until APL, I'll bet you're at BSL by June 2010!

Yarn Muse
December 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I'm just past shoulder and might be at APL in four months give or take. Glad to see others who are at the same stage of the journey. Way to go, everyone!

celluloidwings
December 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm at 18" with my longest layer so that's just past my shoulders. I had my hair cut and reshaped with layers earlier this month so there is about an 1.5 inch difference between that layer and the front one where it's just grazing my collar bones. I think I'll reach APL by May but there's no telling. I've got my finger's crossed though.

Kunoichi
December 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM
My last cut was Jan. 31, 2009. Since then I have been trying to grow. I started with the "A-line bob" or whatever you wanna call it.
Started in Feb. at 14" and measurement as of 10 minutes ago is baaaarely over 20". Here is a shot of my excel spreadsheet pics to show growth from March to November. I haven't added a Dec. pic yet.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4341&pictureid=58017

I haven't decided on a specific goal other than "long" :D

I should be at APL in about 4.5 months, so next April - May. Seems so far away....but I'm sure it'll go by quickly.

smilinjenn71
December 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
This is me right now!:rolleyes: Shoulder length headed to the next goal of APL.

Demetrue
December 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I was so excited when I finally started to reach Shoulder, but now I feel like it just stopped growing and is going to hang out at this length forever. I can't make a sock bun because my layers make the longest part of my hair too thin to cover any sock or bun donut. Maybe if I used one of those faux hair scrunchy type things it would hide the thinness and I could carry off the sock bun look.

Pixna
December 19th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Seems like a bunch of us are going to hit APL around the same time (this coming spring or summer). Woohoo!!! We'll have to have a virtual party of some sort when we do. I can't wait until I get there. Of course, then I'll be hankering for BSL, but each milestone is, well, a milestone. And I am SO eager for my hair to get long -- REALLY long -- again. Although I am (sort of) enjoying the journey, I want the destination, baby, and I want it NOW!!! :laugh:

lillylonghair
December 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Yaay I'm so glad I found this thread. I need to take a picture and remeasure my hair as I think I am getting quite close to APL.

This is such an awkward length though b/c I always have those little pieces that fall out of up-dos and I am growing my bangs out and they love to fall in my face.

I am only getting a dusting right before the new year (still have some indigo on my ends) and then I am commiting ot a whole year of no trimming!

lillylonghair
December 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Oooh I forgot to ask, have any of you treated yourself to you first long hair toy? I am getting some hair sticks made. I would like a fork but I think I will wait until I am a bit longer.

*Aoife*
December 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'm just past shoulder length. My hair is quite curly/wavey so I'm probably closer to APL than I think. I never remember to check when my hair is wet.
I have an awful lot of layers to grow out. Some of my layers are at chin length, some are shoulder and some are past the shoulder :(

Kaileida
December 19th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Oooh I forgot to ask, have any of you treated yourself to you first long hair toy? I am getting some hair sticks made. I would like a fork but I think I will wait until I am a bit longer.

I just use pencils! :p

Mannaz
December 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM
:waving:

I finally stopped lurking and this is definitely The Thread For Me!
My hair is currently at collarbone length, there's maybe about five centimetres before reaching APL.

Might reach it at july but not sure. I've been trimming regularly since started growing at chinlength because my hair went through a LOT (dreads, opening them, a few bleaches... I need not say more :cool:).

My virgin growth is down to my earlopes and I have to keep trimming before all the bad hair is 'gone, it's a bit frustrating because the bottom layers are already healthy and wouldn't need any trimming but the top layers have so much breakage that it's pretty horrible...

It will be interesting to follow the journey of all you guys to APL, glad to be a part of it :flowers:

GlassEyes
December 20th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I guess I semi-officially belong here. I should be at APL in a year to a year-and-a-half, I would guess, depending on how much shrinkage I have. By then, my hair should be about waist/lower mid back region pulled straight.

Right now, my hair hovers between shoulder and mid-neck, depending on the day and whims of the gods.

curlylocks85
December 20th, 2009, 08:32 AM
This is definitely the thread for me. In the back, I am 18.25 inches. I have about 2-3 inches to go before I reach APL. In the front I am just about CBL 2 more inches and I will be there. I have some long bangs at chin right now but they are growing fabulously. Right now, I have mini goals of 2 inches at a time so when I get to 20 inches I suppose I will be APL in the back. I only measure my hair dry since that is how I wear my hair.

Belisarius
December 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
this is also my thread, i am 26 inches, but with my curls and length still at shoulder when not stretched. stretched i am apl though.

GermanCurl
December 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
I am so exited! I was able to put up my hair in a Gibson Tuck this morning :cheese:
There is just this one small strand of hair in the nape of my neck which is still a little to short and did not want to stay put. Although I don't like to use hair spray I had to to make it stay. I'm off work next week and will try to post some pictures.

GermanCurl
December 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM

Addy, I'll gladly be your cheer leader!

GermanCurl
December 21st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Yaay I'm so glad I found this thread. I need to take a picture and remeasure my hair as I think I am getting quite close to APL.

This is such an awkward length though b/c I always have those little pieces that fall out of up-dos and I am growing my bangs out and they love to fall in my face.

I am only getting a dusting right before the new year (still have some indigo on my ends) and then I am commiting ot a whole year of no trimming!

Lilliylonghair, I'm so with you. No trimming/cutting in 2010! That's the only way I will reach APL by this time next year (especially because I have wavy/curly hair)

nuxa
December 21st, 2009, 07:31 AM
I should be at APL in a year to a year-and-a-half, I would guess, depending on how much shrinkage I have. By then, my hair should be about waist/lower mid back region pulled straight.Right now, my hair hovers between shoulder and mid-neck, depending on the day and whims of the gods.

Isn't that frustrating?! I have the same problem... do you mesure your hair pulled? It doesn't feel acurate, but mesuring it curled is absolutelly impossible!
I love my curls (in good days), but wen it starts to dry and shrink I just wish it was straight:s

Francoise1606
December 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
I just cut off a few inches today, so I could have a blunt and thicker hemline. I had a lot of damage so I'm not really regretting it, but it is still frustrating to have cut off several months worth of growth...

Yarn Muse
December 21st, 2009, 07:55 AM

I bought three Flexis...does that count? They could be used with shorter hair, too, I suppose. I really want to get some hair sticks.

Addy
December 21st, 2009, 08:02 AM
Isn't that frustrating?! I have the same problem... do you mesure your hair pulled? It doest feel acurate but mesuring it curld is absolutelly impossible!
I love my curls (in good days), but wen it starts to dry and shrink I just wish it was straight:s

That has got to be frustrating but you know... *kicking dirt around* Long, natural curly hair is so gorgeous IMO! I know the curls eat up the length but long beautiful curls are like HEAVEN to look at! :D

I *will* never have that though.

nuxa
December 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM
I know the curls eat up the length but long beautiful curls are like HEAVEN to look at!

I agree, and I cant stop looking at all the beautifull long curly hair arround here! it gets me motivated...
*rubs hands together* one dayyy.... lolol
But right now I just wish I didnt have to lose 1'' every time may hair drys or more if its raining and humid weather :justy:

lillylonghair
December 21st, 2009, 08:56 AM
Lilliylonghair, I'm so with you. No trimming/cutting in 2010! That's the only way I will reach APL by this time next year (especially because I have wavy/curly hair)

I figure for me there is no realy point to trimming. I don't blow dry anymore.The only time I do is if it's really cold out and I have to go out before my hair dries. I don't have any problems with splits,so I might as well see what happens!

lillylonghair
December 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
I bought three Flexis...does that count? They could be used with shorter hair, too, I suppose. I really want to get some hair sticks.

Oooh I have really been wanting to try flexis! But I am currently commissioning some custom sticks.So flexis are out for now.

countryhopper
February 19th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Bumping this thread...

How's everyone doing?

I'm growing out one of those angled bobs, the one where the front layers are longer than the back layers. I haven't cut them off to even things up yet. I think I'll save that for when my hair is MUCH longer!

So measuring the shortest area (in the back) I measure in at 18". It's not bothering me too much, because at least it is long enough and fine enough to twist it into braids and half up buns. I recently got some new hair forks, and I LOVE them! Sticks seem to be a little trickier to keep in... maybe it's my length? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Pixna
February 19th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I'm about 1 1/2 to 2 inches away from APL. I've been wearing my hair up every day in the hopes that one day, when I take it down, it will "magically" be at APL (or preferably BSL or longer). My guess is that I'll reach APL by summer and BSL toward the end of the year. I. Can't. Wait!!!

GermanCurl
February 19th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I'm at 18 1/2 inches (collarbone). I ended up going to the beautician at the end of January to get some layers cut in. My hair is curly and after growing out a bob I had a big triangle head. Now it looks much better (tamed). Started taking MSM again and I also got on the DE bandwagon(day 3). I'm happy with the current growth of 0.75 inch a month, but hope that DE will speed things up. Hoping to get to APL by end of this summer!

smilinjenn71
February 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Still here!:waving:

I just posted to my blog last night about my cut at the end of January (29th). I had 2" taken off and had hubby measure that weekend - hair was at 17". Last night I had him measure again for me and it's at 17 3/4"..... WHOA! I totally wasn't expecting that much but had noticed my roots were really starting to show...hehe. I don't think I've ever had 3/4" growth in 3 weeks! However, I'm not complaining...LOL!

My hope is not to cut anymore for a long while. I still have LOTS of pixie layers which is why I had the 2" cut. It looks a lot better after doing so...more balanced overall.

charley27
February 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I should only be here for a month or two!

When I wrapped a towel under my arms today, my hair was only 1/2" to 1" away from the towel edge! Woohoo! I didn't know I was this close! When my hair is wet, it is past the edge, so I'm very close to being in the APL to BSL thread!

little_cherry
February 19th, 2010, 10:49 AM
^ Nice! Mines still at shoulder length....it's growing :D

aililiú
February 19th, 2010, 11:36 AM
greetings :D
i guess i fit in this group too!

my longest strands reach APL when stretched,
but i have shorter layers which are only just shoulder length.
im growing out a pixie, so ive got layers up the yin-yang :o

will i need to wait til my shortest layers are APL to claim that status?! :confused:

*Aoife*
February 19th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I reckon I'm at APL when wet :D But only in the back, thanks to those pesky layers! It's hard to tell because I can't see myself in a fogged up mirror. But just from feeling my hair it feels like its at APL now!

MandyBeth
February 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
If I scrunch my shoulders up, I hit shoulders..... If I have figured my growth rate correctly, I've got 5 months to shoulder which will be the longest I've ever had and I've got 15 months to get to APL, and to knee is 5 years and 10 months.

I'll probably get driven insane by my hair at some point in there and chop it off, but that's why I'm here to hopefully NOT go crazy and cut it short again.

LadyJennifer
February 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Me! I'm a little below c-bone. It feels like I've been here forever! If I scrunch up my shoulders I'm at APL, but I need to do the towel around my back thing to see how far I have to go.

curlylocks85
February 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
In the back, I am about 3" from APL. I was wondering what is considered APL, when it looks APL from the back, or when your hair is caught in your armpits.

Kaileida
February 19th, 2010, 04:48 PM
In the back, I am about 3" from APL. I was wondering what is considered APL, when it looks APL from the back, or when your hair is caught in your armpits.

Haha I'd say when it looks APL! I'm at APL now unless I scrunch my hair into actual curls (which I've been doing lately) so yay! But I'm still lurking this thread :D

cleanbug
February 19th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I think I qualify for this thread! How long til apl? I think another inch or 2 maybe?
here's link to pic in my album. my hair is 21 or 21.5 inches.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3024&pictureid=64478

redneckprincess
February 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM
well I said I was at APL....but then I cut off no more then 1" and started measuring in natural (wavy-curly) texture...so Id say I fit in here...I will be trimming this year...no predetermined amount or timeframe, though I would like to reach full, without a doubt APL this year(LTIEB* Longer Then Iv'e Ever Been), which is about another 3-4" (I gained 8 last year with NO trimming*pulled straight;or flatironed to longest hairs)

Im really starting to like my ponytails lately, they look so thick and full, no longer short and stumpy, though I cant do many elegant updo's or anything Im at a point where I enjoy wearing it down, in a pony or in a sock bun and thats it...I know buns will come and I cant wait, but lately my ponytails are looking elegant enough for the time being.

christine1989
February 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
My hair is about the same length as yours now (measuring the longest part). I have 3-4 more inches to APL so it should be about 6-8 months however I have seen some impressive growth with horsetail and more thickness with biotin.

PiroskaCicu
February 19th, 2010, 09:40 PM
In my opinion, the shoulder/APL length is the hardest to deal with simply because it never seems to grow! It seems like my hair has been shoulder length for months! Although I know it has grown a lot. :)

Here is a picture from December , at around 15.5 or 16 inches (i think).

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk228/_peacefulwarrior/MiscfromCamera062-1-1.jpg

Aero
February 19th, 2010, 10:00 PM
My hair is just now hanging around my collar bones. I'm okay with the length right now as I'm hitting up the gym a lot and going swimming. As long as it keeps growing as it has been I'm happy.

countryhopper
February 19th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hmmm, maybe I should remeasure? I measured my back layers as 18", and I KNOW they are past collarbone. Maybe I have a short neck? If I ask DH to measure my hair, I think he would think I'm nuts. I have one of those paper tape measures from IKEA. How is everyone else measuring?

mowo
February 19th, 2010, 11:17 PM
In my opinion, the shoulder/APL length is the hardest to deal with simply because it never seems to grow! It seems like my hair has been shoulder length for months! Although I know it has grown a lot. :)

Exactly, I have the same impression. Sometimes I think that my hair will never rech APL. I can't wait when they will be that length... And then... just longer and longer :D

PearlyCurly
February 20th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I also think SL to APL, & BSL to WL is the hardest, because theres such a wide space between the two lengths:(

Im currently touching my collar bone, and i have about 4in or so to get to APL but when i look at pictures it seems like 50in:rant:!!

curlylocks85
February 20th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I know what you mean. It seems as though I have been between shoulder and APL forever, even though I know it is getting longer.

I think for me it would help to have a mini goal between CBL and APL, such as, SBL (shoulder blade length), or BBL (breastbone length). Just something to have in between so it feels like I am going somewhere. Does this make sense?

aililiú
February 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM
curlylocks-- agreed!
how about the "halfway between collarbone & armpit length?"
:laugh:
theres not really a good distinguishing feature there, is there?:o

Holly9192
February 20th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm pretty much armpit length now and it was about shoulder length last august... it just sort of grew without me paying too much attention to it.

Jordan S.
February 20th, 2010, 05:26 PM
My guess is by July I should get to armpit length. IF i can stop this breakage im getting.

smilinjenn71
February 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'm pretty much armpit length now and it was about shoulder length last august... it just sort of grew without me paying too much attention to it.
Ummm, not to be argumentative but your profile pic looks BSL to me. :p

Demetrue
February 20th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I think I am now entering the SL to APL journey. I had reached shoulder but still had a ton of layers. I trimmed about an inch off of the damage last week, but right now it still seems to be touching the tops of my shoulders. I think that with a good growth rate, I could reach APL in 8 months, but that would entail no trimming, no heat styling and no bleach.

hmmm
February 20th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I'm at shoulder length too, just started growing at my previous rate after a winter stall. I had this crazy dream last night that I had split ends on the front section of my hair from heat iron use... and I've never ever used an iron! I don't really have those splits either...
I can't wait for it to get longer though! I like tilting my head back to feel more hair on my back, lol.

Lassie
February 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM
RocketDog- French twists are so the way to go! My (cheating) variation is to stuff all the hair underneath the same way and weave a pencil through it. It doesn't look so polished and pretty but it stays well and impresses people. Guess not a lot of girls know how to only use sticks!

do you have a you tube of this???
or pictures ??

*Aoife*
February 24th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Wowsies! I checked with a towel last night. I am about 1" past APL :) Yay!

Pixna
February 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Wowsies! I checked with a towel last night. I am about 1" past APL :) Yay!

Wowie is right!! Woohoo for you (I'm so envious!). :cheese:

Ballerina_Boo
February 24th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I think I'm pretty close to being APL soon maybe a month and a half and I'll be there. Then on to BSL and then Waist which is my goal right now. Who knows might go for a longer goal when i get closer to waist. But for right now APL is killing me.

Rapunzal2Be
February 27th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Made it to APL!!! YAY!

Messyhair
February 27th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Probably going to be another year yet for me to reach APL. Slow and steady...

FallenAngel
February 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'm in!!

This is me the other day. Crappy pic, but at least you can see how long my hair is.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2318&pictureid=64528

curlylocks85
February 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I'm in!!

This is me the other day. Crappy pic, but at least you can see how long my hair is.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2318&pictureid=64528

Your color is fabulous. Is it natural?

Dreams_in_Pink
February 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
There's something i realized...I think hair flipping on the ends due to resting on shoulders make shoulder-APL take awfully long time :) when hair no longer sit on shoulder, it immediately starts growing fast again :D

maybe i'm too optimistic?:cheese:

curlylocks85
February 27th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Too much optimism is always welcomed!

clairenewcastle
February 27th, 2010, 02:36 PM
There's something i realized...I think hair flipping on the ends due to resting on shoulders make shoulder-APL take awfully long time :) when hair no longer sit on shoulder, it immediately starts growing fast again :D

That's exactly what I'm finding at the moment Dreams in Pink. :)

Even though I've measured another 1/2 inch of growth in the last month my hair started flipping in all directions as soon as it touched my shoulders. All I want now is to get to that stage where my hair "hangs" rather than "flips" so I share your optimism.

Dreams_in_Pink
February 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Too much optimism is always welcomed!

That's exactly what I'm finding at the moment Dreams in Pink. :)

Even though I've measured another 1/2 inch of growth in the last month my hair started flipping in all directions as soon as it touched my shoulders. All I want now is to get to that stage where my hair "hangs" rather than "flips" so I share your optimism.

There must be a "flip-length" between shoulder and APL, to make life seem better :D

Demetrue
February 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm flipping up too - it is NOT a flattering look on me. The sides flipping up are okay, but it looks like it flips back up one or two inches in back, which makes me look dorky.

metalgypsy85
February 27th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hopefully I'll be at APL in 6 months or so. I'm growing out with tons of layers, but I have no interest in evening it out yet.

LaBelleVita
March 1st, 2010, 09:40 AM
This is the thread for me.
I'm currently shoulder length, my eventual goal is to reach MBL but my first milestone is APL.
I don't think autumn/winter is an unreasonable timeframe for APL, knowing my hair.
I follow a super healthy protein rich diet, take vitamins, wear my hair up (apart from special occasions), i never use heat .. I'm doing all I can do really, but I sometimes get a little impatient.

Happy growing everyone and I look forward to sharing this journey with you all.

FallenAngel
March 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
curlylocks85 - it is definitly not my original color, but it's natural... (henna ;) )

maira
March 2nd, 2010, 05:58 AM
I have a dumb question. I think I get where APL is, (midway between shoulder and brastrap) but what does it stand for?

not in this range yet, but I've never gotten past it before, hope to do now.

I have recently done a big chop because of a huge shed that continued on for three years, and I was battling fairy tale ends right about at shoulder. That was depressing, so I cut to something between a pixie and a bob because those kind of ends at that length is just Wrong.

charley27
March 2nd, 2010, 06:11 AM
I have a dumb question. I think I get where APL is, (midway between shoulder and brastrap) but what does it stand for?

Not a dumb question at all!

Armpit Length :)

Demetrue
March 2nd, 2010, 06:23 AM
Even though my last 3 inches are fizzled and damaged, I have vowed to baby them along and not trim again until I have more length (I am just touching shoulder again after a 1 inch trim last month). I have been following people's suggestions of a tiny bit of coconut oil just kind of squeezed/pressed onto the damaged ends and it certainly is helping, appearance-wise. My estimation, if I have 1/2 inch of growth per month, is 8 months to APL.

countryhopper
March 2nd, 2010, 07:06 AM
My front layers are longer than my back layers (thanks to that bob I had!), but I think I'm going to leave it that way, at least for a looooong time.

I like to trick myself into thinking that my hair is as long as I see it in the mirror from the front :)

From the back, I probably have a good 3 inches to APL...

mellie89
March 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
I think I'm at solid APL again, 21 inches for me. I got there last year, then chopped almost 3 inches off in January. Now to BSL, hopefully just with dustings and S&D until then!

Kaileida
March 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
So can anyone else do buns that you're not "supposed" to be able to yet?
I was just lurking a thread on orchid buns and decided, worth a shot right? It fell apart from the left the first time but I wrapped it a smidge differently the second time and it's stayed in since, and hairstick buns never stay in when my hair is clean! I am pleased :D
But I think this is a BSL+ bun? So I was ultra surprised that I could do it with relative ease!

Sparkette
March 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I am at shoulder length right now. I am impatient for my hair to grow longer but I guess I should just be thankful that I can finally put my hair in a wearable ponytail. I have cut and grown my hair several times and it always gets easier once I can get it out of my face.

countryhopper
March 11th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I've concluded that i must have a giraffe neck and THAT is what's making it take so long to get to APL :D

I can't do many buns, but I've been entertaining myself with braids. Yesterday I did my first 5 strand braid! I did it like a french braid, half up. So I'm just going to occupy myself in the meantime with braids and twists until -one day- my hair magically grows!

Pixna
March 11th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Kaileida, I've got a bunch of bun threads going. Please take a look at them. You are certain to find ones you can do!!

Kaileida
March 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Haha Pixna you're my hero! I love that pencil bun, it's probably the most comfortable bun I've found yet!

Pixna
March 12th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Haha Pixna you're my hero! I love that pencil bun, it's probably the most comfortable bun I've found yet!

Yay!!! :happydance: Isn't the Pencl Bun the BEST?! I've been wearing it almost every day. It's comfortable, it's easy, and it's fun. It took me a bazillion tries to "get" it, but once I did, I never looked back (well, I must admit that I DO look at the back of my head with the bun in it, but you know what I mean). Try the Magic Knot bun, too. It's a good one to switch off with.

countryhopper
March 12th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Well, I measured my hair from its shortest back layers. It's a little over 18.5 (still not yet APL!), and then for the fun of it I measured to BSL.

25 inches.

So, I've got another 6 and a half inches to just the top of BSL, and I've thought about more and more of changing my goal to waist...

So I figure, my hair grows at about half an inch a month (during the winter), but hopefully it will grow faster now that the warmer weather is coming. So I probably have about another 6 months to APL.

AACCCKKKK!!! I'm so impatient!! GROW, GROW, GROW!!!!!!!!

juliaxena
March 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I guess I just barely CAN sign in here. I must say I never knew growing hair wll be so annoying. I have had either past APL or short hair sofar. This is the first (self aware) time with shoulder lenght hair in my life. It is very inpractical and I don't like the look of it on me. I don't know, maybe I will feel better after two more inches. I'd cut it but I feel I have come too far with all the waiting.

redneckprincess
March 12th, 2010, 01:35 PM
well, I have just about reached APL (curly) and BSL (straight)...a couple more months and I may straighten it for a day to find out for sure

countryhopper
March 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
well, I have just about reached APL (curly) and BSL (straight)...a couple more months and I may straighten it for a day to find out for sure

Let us know when we can pull out the :cheese: and celebrate!

Kaileida
March 14th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Picture progress anyone? :D
(Sorry about the low quality but my webcam does badly at night!)
http://imgur.com/K8rON.jpg
Orchid bun! It's a little messy because my hair is too clean to stay put.

http://imgur.com/NEkid.jpg
The very longest strands touch the top of my bra strap! I'm uber excited haha :D

Pixna
March 14th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Kaileida, congratulations!!! Way to GROW!!! :cheer:

Sunny_side_up
March 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hi there
thats very nice growth! I've heavily layered hair from ears down, at the moment the longest layers are about inch or so from APL.planning on no trims until summer, maybe, we'll see.
Happy hair growth :D

*girlypearl*
March 18th, 2010, 11:20 AM
YAY!! I finally found somewhere that I belong :D:D:D I know there are chin length threads on here, as well as APL/BSL and I knew I was not considered short/short, and I know I am not to APL yet, because that is one of my milestone goals. So, I am so glad I have found a happy medium!! I got an angled bob cut in December... (from BSL... DUH! ME!!!) Anyway, my hairdresser used a razor and chopped layers into it, since my hair is very thick and this type of bob is difficult to wear with thick hair, so she thinned it out some, but not too much. I would say there is only about 3 different length layers, but oh how annoying!!! My longest in front is approx. 18.5 my shortest in back is approx. 16.5, so I have a 2 inch difference. I am in the process of deciding when I want to go in for the trim to even out the layers, because I would like ALL one length right now at about APL. My hair grows approx. 0.75 inches a month, so I was thinking either the end of July or the end of October. I don't know which, because I really want to be able to see and feel some growth progress... Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA! At least I have found this thread to accompany me on my exciting yet FRUSTRATING journey!!!
*HAPPY GROWING*

Canarygirl
March 18th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Wow--that orchid bun is the bomb! I can't wait until I can do a decent bun. My hair is still shorter in the front so it falls out of buns...didn't help that my hairdresser decided to cut an inch off my bangs during my last "dusting." :rolleyes:

I am currently at 20" in the back, and I need to get to 23" before I'll reach APL. Then 3" more inches and it will be BSL. It still seems like a fantasy to me, to get my hair that long. It hasn't been BSL since I was 15!

christine1989
March 18th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I have one more inch to APL now :). I am taking biotin and hosetail like crazy until I gat there.

leentora
March 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Yayy somewhere I can join in on the fun and the challenge of hair growth. I am a little pass shoulder length but not quite APL as of yet. I am aiming to get there by June. I will be doing a weekly protein light treatment and Deep condition to help boost my hair strength and keep those ends healthy.

I have been reseaching henna and I will be incoporating Cassia Obovata somewhere in my hair care.

I have never actually measure my hair length and since joing here, I am off to do so, I can guess that I need about 2-3'' more or so of growth and I should be APL.

I will post pictures of my current length shortly.

Bast
March 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Yay! Another one here for the bandwagon :D

I'm just below shoulder length, and have another 3 inches or so to go before I hit APL. I'm hoping that by my birthday I'll be there! (I'd love to be there for my anniversary, but that's next month, not 6 months away...)

petitepraline
March 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Only two more inches until APL and I can't wait! i hate having my hair at this length. Its bleh!

But I have been taking my multi-vitamin, flaxseeds, and oiling the ends....so maybe in two months, i hope :)

Kaileida
March 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Wow--that orchid bun is the bomb! I can't wait until I can do a decent bun. My hair is still shorter in the front so it falls out of buns...didn't help that my hairdresser decided to cut an inch off my bangs during my last "dusting." :rolleyes:

I am currently at 20" in the back, and I need to get to 23" before I'll reach APL. Then 3" more inches and it will be BSL. It still seems like a fantasy to me, to get my hair that long. It hasn't been BSL since I was 15!

Thanks! I love the orchid bun because it's super speedy haha! I could do some basic buns at 20"; it's all about strategic placement of clips. But way to go, you should be there (relatively) soon-- never soon enough, though, is it? Hehehe :cheese:

Yarn Muse
March 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I'm just a bit past SL now. I was kinda close to APL at 20 inches but trimmed the longest part back to 18.5, taking less off the front and sides. I wanted to even up longish layers and I'm glad I did. I should make it back to 20 soon, and hope I will grow faster during the summer.

Enjoy the growing journey!

Wizzad
March 21st, 2010, 04:26 PM
* My first post! :) *

As I write this I am sat with freshly washed hair, and conditioned with this new stuff I found called Naked Rescue, I got it cos I like natural stuff.

After having my hair always cut just above my shoulders for a couple of years, I decided to start growing mine around last August, when it was about 16 inches, now I believe it's about 22 inches, but alas the front is much much shorter than the back, and thinner too cuz hairdressers seem to have a nasty habit of thinning that part out and cutting it shorter... I hate that :disgust:

I'm hoping to get mine to just past my armpits, which will obviously take longer for the front. I never colour it and only ocassionally blowdry &straighten do I'm hoping it will be a quick growth.

Anyhoo I'm excited to have found a great site like this and you all have such beautiful hair!

This is my hair in a new photo I just took 'specially for this post lol

http://i42.tinypic.com/35347wj.jpg

smilinjenn71
March 21st, 2010, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure why I haven't realized this until just now but of all the goals, APL is going to take the longest to achieve.

Currently I am still shoulder and have the whole 'flipping' thing happening with the ends. I'm probably about 4-5" from being APL....ugh!:justy: Then onto BSL which really isn't *that* much past APL; maybe 2-3 more inches. I don't have plans to grow past BSL, simply because I don't have enough time or energy to baby my hair past that length. Plus, if I had to wear it up all the time, that sort of defeats my purpose....enjoying my long hair.

Canarygirl
March 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM
I'll probably stop at BSL too, for the same reasons. We'll see ;)

Lorisal
March 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM
I am currently SL and aiming for APL (4-5 inches) by February 2011. I was taking Biotin, but stopped because it caused bumps to appear around my hairline. The only thing I am taking now is prenatal vitamins.

curlylocks85
March 21st, 2010, 05:25 PM
I am about 2-3 inches from APL curly. I am APL when wet, although I will not declare APL until I reach it curly.

Pixna
March 22nd, 2010, 06:56 AM
I think part of my hair might be touching APL, but until it reaches APL with the front ends, I don't feel comfortable saying it's there. I think I've got another few months until it's solidly there, so for now I'm just saying "APL-" (that little minus sign after it says it all).

curlylocks85
March 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I think part of my hair might be touching APL, but until it reaches APL with the front ends, I don't feel comfortable saying it's there. I think I've got another few months until it's solidly there, so for now I'm just saying "APL-" (that little minus sign after it says it all).

I have to say, Pixna, your longest ends look like they are past APL almost approaching BSL. I know what you mean though about the shortest hairs being at your goal. Then you will really feel like your hair has made significant growth. And by that time, I bet your longer hairs will be at BSL!

Pixna
March 22nd, 2010, 08:07 AM
Thank you, Curlylocks!! I hope you're right, though I think the pic makes my hair look longer than it is (weird, I know, but true). I'd be thrilled if my longest ends were BSL when my shorter ones reach APL!!

Here's the REALLY weird thing. My hair was totally blunt cut as I was growing out my pixie. I actually trimmed it TOO blunt (I did it myself, and it was basically a "bowl" cut). Now it seems as though it is taking on a natural U shape all by itself. I'm not doing any trimming (haven't for over a year), but the hemline shape is morphing on its own!! Freaky!! :brains:

yellowchariot
March 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
I think I'm slightly past APL :confused: and I didn't even know it.
It's difficult for me to measure with a tape now because I can't accurately see the inches behind me lol. However, I went over to a friend's hows to play a game of spades. His wife is nice enough to mohawk braid my hair to keep it out of my face (The card games we play are intense and we break a sweat! :laugh: ) As she was brushing my hair, I asked her how long was it? So she took her finger and went to the tip of my ends, in the center, and pushed in-between my shoulder blades, and she said, "it's that long!"

I didn't think it had grown that much!

Pixna
March 22nd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Isn't it great to see some verifiable progress, yellowchariot?! Congratulations!! Those sound like some heavy-duty card games you play!! :blueeek:

Friesiangirl
March 22nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
I'm definitely almost there. I would be around BSL by now, except I've had some serious trims (5++ '' or more) so I'm handing about an inch about APL.

Hayley

rhondalicious
March 22nd, 2010, 10:28 AM
my shortest parts are chin, now - my longest are just brushing my shoulders! now i just need to be patient and leave it alone....

little_cherry
March 22nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
I'm still at shoulder.....it's growing...slowly! :D
Perhaps I'll try the Monistat...hmm...

I think I'm slightly past APL :confused: and I didn't even know it.
It's difficult for me to measure with a tape now because I can't accurately see the inches behind me lol. However, I went over to a friend's hows to play a game of spades. His wife is nice enough to mohawk braid my hair to keep it out of my face (The card games we play are intense and we break a sweat! :laugh: ) As she was brushing my hair, I asked her how long was it? So she took her finger and went to the tip of my ends, in the center, and pushed in-between my shoulder blades, and she said, "it's that long!"

I didn't think it had grown that much!
YAY! Congrats! It's always nice to find out that your hair is actually longer than you thought! :D

That must have been a very hardcore game of Spades! I don't even break a sweat playing Rockband on the 360! Haha!

Rapunzal2Be
March 30th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I think I can finally say I hit APL!! :cheese::cheese:

MandyBeth
March 30th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure why I haven't realized this until just now but of all the goals, APL is going to take the longest to achieve.

I can just BARELY squeeze in as SL if I stretch my longest parts out....

But gak, I don't know, getting it all evened up while growing out a pixie seems to take forever and a day. There is NO way I was going to be saving that evil pixie-mullet mess. So gak, it's 1" forward, 3/4" back.....

countryhopper
March 31st, 2010, 01:02 AM

HOORAY!!! break out the :cheese::cheese::cheese:

Calling all shoulder to APLers to a cheese party!

Rapunzal2Be
March 31st, 2010, 06:47 AM
HOORAY!!! break out the :cheese::cheese::cheese:

Calling all shoulder to APLers to a cheese party!

Thank you!!!! :D:cheese:

redneckprincess
March 31st, 2010, 09:47 AM
welcome to the party...I have just re-hit AP...(wavy/curly this time):cheese::cheese::cheese:
now on to BSL streatched...before hitting BSL curly...my first GOAL

chaoticwaves
March 31st, 2010, 10:17 AM
welcome to the party...I have just re-hit AP...(wavy/curly this time):cheese::cheese::cheese:
now on to BSL streatched...before hitting BSL curly...my first GOAL

Way to go! Your hair is looking great!

I trimmed my hair myself last night, and I am back to shoulder length wurly. I was wanting to wait to trim until I reached APL, but my ends were just too bad with the prior bleach damage. It feels nice now!

chaoticwaves
March 31st, 2010, 10:18 AM

But gak, I don't know, getting it all evened up while growing out a pixie seems to take forever and a day. There is NO way I was going to be saving that evil pixie-mullet mess. So gak, it's 1" forward, 3/4" back.....

I don't blame you! You'll get there though, and it will be nice and even. :)

Madonna-Fan
March 31st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Hello!
I like to join your club, too :D!
At this moment I&#180;m at 20,47 inches (52 cm).
Stretched long, APL is at 20,86 inches (53 cm), so I only need half an inch left.
But my real first goal is to have APL with my waves which is at about 23,6 inches (60 cm)!
I&#180;m hope I&#180;ll get this (wavy APL) until the end of 2010...

My final goal is to have unlayered, natural coloured and waist-long hair in 3,5 years (end of school)....

Wish me good luck ;).

Yours, Timmy

Kaileida
March 31st, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hehe, good luck Timmy!

I trimmed about 1/4" with Feye's self trim method the other day- my ends feel a little better! My hair is so disappointing right now though... (warning, rant ahead!)

1. The color is coming off. Not in any sort of aesthetically pleasing way, either. There's random stripes of blond ON EACH HAIR. So it's like brown --> black --> blond --> black --> blond end. It looks gross. And stupid. But I can't throw more dye on top of it of course. Because I'm pretty sure the next time I dye my hair it's just going to crumble away.

2. My ends are downright ragged. And I can't fix it because of the srs layers. It's like every time I try it doesn't help, or even gets worse. The self trim helped the bottom, which was already starting to fairytale, but the shorter bits... I have no idea what to do. If I go to a salon they'll cut back to SL "because of all the damage". Because everyone thinks my hair is straight and it's actually pretty darn wavy, moving now to curly. Of course it looks super damaged when you jerk a comb through it :( but I don't actually have many split ends. The wavy ends just stick out at odd angles.

3. Some of my hairs are ultra coarse and wiry. Normally this wouldn't bother me- I know texture changes are normal- but judging by my roots, which are a very different color than the rest of my hair, these ones don't grow at all. So I've just been pulling them out. Which is probably not good but if they're stuck at SL I don't want them!

4. White dot splits near my roots?? My hair isn't the strongest but I've been so careful with the new growth! I have to use sulfates because otherwise my scalp drives me absolutely nuts. But I don't do anything damaging to my hair besides that, and especially nothing with that part of my hair.

Hopefully my hair lasts long enough that I can continue with my current plan- grow to waist, then either maintain or chop back to BSL to get rid of dye damage (depends on my patience:desire for length ratio).

I was gonna do another protein treatment but I don't think my hair loves protein really... So I'll get around to buying a deep moisturizing treatment at some point and see if that makes a difference.

Oh well, I suppose! My hair looks great... as long as you don't look too close ;)

smilinjenn71
March 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM

I feel your pain!:doh:

rachelily
March 31st, 2010, 07:35 PM
I'd love to join too! I'm currently at 21" and APL for me will be in about 3 inches. Just got 2.5" of damaged ends cut off so I'm starting healthy!

chaoticwaves
April 1st, 2010, 09:46 AM
Hehe, good luck Timmy!

I trimmed about 1/4" with Feye's self trim method the other day- my ends feel a little better! My hair is so disappointing right now though... (warning, rant ahead!)

1. The color is coming off. Not in any sort of aesthetically pleasing way, either. There's random stripes of blond ON EACH HAIR. So it's like brown --> black --> blond --> black --> blond end. It looks gross. And stupid. But I can't throw more dye on top of it of course. Because I'm pretty sure the next time I dye my hair it's just going to crumble away.

2. My ends are downright ragged. And I can't fix it because of the srs layers. It's like every time I try it doesn't help, or even gets worse. The self trim helped the bottom, which was already starting to fairytale, but the shorter bits... I have no idea what to do. If I go to a salon they'll cut back to SL "because of all the damage". Because everyone thinks my hair is straight and it's actually pretty darn wavy, moving now to curly. Of course it looks super damaged when you jerk a comb through it :( but I don't actually have many split ends. The wavy ends just stick out at odd angles.

3. Some of my hairs are ultra coarse and wiry. Normally this wouldn't bother me- I know texture changes are normal- but judging by my roots, which are a very different color than the rest of my hair, these ones don't grow at all. So I've just been pulling them out. Which is probably not good but if they're stuck at SL I don't want them!

4. White dot splits near my roots?? My hair isn't the strongest but I've been so careful with the new growth! I have to use sulfates because otherwise my scalp drives me absolutely nuts. But I don't do anything damaging to my hair besides that, and especially nothing with that part of my hair.

Hopefully my hair lasts long enough that I can continue with my current plan- grow to waist, then either maintain or chop back to BSL to get rid of dye damage (depends on my patience:desire for length ratio).

I was gonna do another protein treatment but I don't think my hair loves protein really... So I'll get around to buying a deep moisturizing treatment at some point and see if that makes a difference.

Oh well, I suppose! My hair looks great... as long as you don't look too close ;)

I have some of the same problems. I have bleached hair after about 3 inches. I have a dark permanent color over it, but it will fade. I give it 6 months before I need to dye again.

I just cut off a good two inches of my hair. It was not my original plan. I wanted to wait for APL before maintaining and trimming off the damage. But, seeing all the white dots and crunchy ends was not worth waiting to me. I do keep my hair oiled with coconut oil and up almost all the time. This at least makes my hair smoother (I have a very coarse underlayer) and keeps my mind off of it so I don't obsess so much!

Your hair does look really pretty, but I know that we see our hair a lot differently because we can sit and scrutinize it. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
April 4th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I reached APL when STRETCHED. Here's the crappy photo:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4555&pictureid=68355

I'm halfway when shrinked:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4555&pictureid=68354

whoanellie
April 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
This is me too! I'm glad to find a thread for shoulder to APL. APL will be my first baby step goal. I'm glad there are others with me!

My avatar pic was taken yesterday, after having it up all day so the ends are kind of flying away because they were up in barrettes. I haven't measured my length with someone else, but by the crappy use of a tape measure, bending my arm backwards and a mirror, I think my back length is about 19". I really should have my SO measure except I fear he'll think I'm crazier than he already thinks I am. :D I'm not sure how long I have to get to APL, but I'm guessing 6 months?

I'm growing out very short bangs and also black hair dye, both of which are new goals so I have a loooooong way to go with that.

I'd say my hair is pretty healthy, with almost no split ends that I can see. I will probably get a small trim at some point but I'm not sure if that's really necessary, I need to do more investigation on that.

I do want to chant to my hair grow... grow... grow! ;)

XcaliburGirl
April 8th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Congratulations to those who've reached their goal!

I want to join this thread. I am just at SL with my longest layers. My hair grows pretty fast I think, but I've never measured it.

Measurements coming up, going to measure tonight.

kristymarie87
April 22nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Helloooo,

Im at shoulder length....just! My hair is kinda damaged so the bits that frame my face are getting thinner and shorter!

Cant wait for APL, but gonna be a long wait for me! I recon at least a year at this rate!

My hair grows in spurts....like it stops and then all of a sudden its 3/4 of an inch longer in a few days! Then it stops for ages :( It took me since July 2009 to get it from a aline bob- all graduated and shaved at the back to now. But i have had reglar trims in between.

So if i start having my trims 9 or 10 weeks apart it will grow more hopefully!

kristymarie87
April 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
p.s where can i find the self trim thread?

countryhopper
April 22nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
So I THOUGHT I was knocking on APL's door....

...nope.

I'm growing out an A-line bob. My front layers are APL. From looking at the back of my head in the mirror, the shortest layers look to be only an inch or less to APL. Then I folded a towel under my arms (the way you'd wrap yourself with a towel after a shower).

It looks like I've got at LEAST another 2 inches to go. AT LEAST.

I know it's growing from the measurements I take, but it sure doesn't look that way... :(

Bast
April 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Was at APL with my longest layers, then I went and got a trim yesterday. However, what with everything I'm doing to my hair, hopefully I'll be back there next month!

My shorter layers are still at shoulder, not counting the bangs at chin length (which I may keep, as they're rather fun)

PiroskaCicu
April 22nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Shoulder definitely is the longest journey! I feel like I've been at shoulder for months. But I just realized my hair is SO close to APL! =D

Pixna
April 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
p.s where can i find the self trim thread?

Is this what you are looking for: Feye's Self-Trimming Method (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim)?

TawnyRoots
April 25th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Shoulder definitely is the longest journey! I feel like I've been at shoulder for months. But I just realized my hair is SO close to APL! =D

Congratulations! I am really hoping for a growth spurt soon. I seemed to stay at bob length for months and months, then all of a sudden, wow I am at shoulder!

My hair has now been at shoulder for months, come on growth spurt!

I was looking at some lovely pictures of waist length hair today and got very excited, until I realised that I am 3 YEARS away from that :rolleyes:. Hands up whos here for the long haul? We will make it together!

:cheese:

countryhopper
April 25th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I was looking at some lovely pictures of waist length hair today and got very excited, until I realised that I am 3 YEARS away from that :rolleyes:. Hands up whos here for the long haul? We will make it together!

:cheese:

ME! *raises both hands*

Although I sincerely hope that it won't be three years for me to make it to waist! I can't think that far in the future!

Does anyone else feel like since joining this site their hair grows SLOWER?? I think I feel this way since it's the same principle as, "watched pots never boil". LOL!:D

smilinjenn71
April 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Update : Officially collar bone length!:cheese:

curlylocks85
April 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I am so close to APL I can taste it. I feel like I will never get there, although I know this is not true. Does anyone else feel like this?

Belisarius
April 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM
My own hair is growing, but slowly. I have a long neck and curls, so i have been at shoulder for such a long time and i still am. I really wish my hair would be way longer even when dry and curly.

NuclearMosquito
April 25th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Curlylocks, some days I feel my hair will never reach APL as well. I know that's not realistic as I'm not cutting it, taking good care of it, and I've had it longer before, but sometimes I do get frustrated with it and feel it's not growing. The best thing I can do then is a moisturizing treatment to pamper myself, like an SMT, and then put my hair up out of the way and try to forget about it. I also only measure once a month, so it seems like more growth. Hope this helps! :flower:

TawnyRoots
April 25th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Sometimes I kid myself into thinking that I have reached APL already, then have a good look and realise it isn't true at all! I agree about watched pots though, my hair only grows when I am not looking at it! :wail:

It will all be worth it in the end!

Dreams_in_Pink
April 25th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Am i there yet?? Am i there yet???

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4555&pictureid=70378

jeanniet
April 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'm almost at APL. Not quite. I don't measure, so it's all eyeballing. I may be an inch or so shy. My hair is pretty wavy, so sometimes it's just depends on how flat it is. I'm really eager to get to APL and then reset my goal to BSL.

I really need to get my camera out and get a picture up.

Anyone here from the Bay Area? I'd love to hear what your routines are!

Jeannie

TawnyRoots
April 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Am i there yet?? Am i there yet???

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4555&pictureid=70378

You are sooooo close! Another month or so to seal the deal! :cheese:

sarah061
April 25th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Does anyone else feel like since joining this site their hair grows SLOWER?? I think I feel this way since it's the same principle as, "watched pots never boil". LOL!:D

Haha, I definitely feel like that! Before I joined I wasn't growing my hair out and never paid any attention to it except to be annoyed at how fast my bangs grew out - now I practically measure them every day and it seems like they NEVER change! :mad:

Also, I bought my first pair of hair sticks today! :cheese: They're only plastic, but then they were only $2.50... I want to amass an enormous hairtoy collection and they shall by my starting point. Yay!

jeanniet
April 25th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Haha, I definitely feel like that! Before I joined I wasn't growing my hair out and never paid any attention to it except to be annoyed at how fast my bangs grew out - now I practically measure them every day and it seems like they NEVER change! :mad:

Also, I bought my first pair of hair sticks today! :cheese: They're only plastic, but then they were only $2.50... I want to amass an enormous hairtoy collection and they shall by my starting point. Yay!
Have you ever noticed how bangs, which you don't really want to grow, always seem to get long waaaay faster than your regular hair? It's the same hair, but I'd swear when I have bangs they grow at least twice as fast!

sarah061
April 25th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Have you ever noticed how bangs, which you don't really want to grow, always seem to get long waaaay faster than your regular hair? It's the same hair, but I'd swear when I have bangs they grow at least twice as fast!

YES! I swear that must be true, argh! I might start actually measuring to see if there's a difference because my bangs have grown like an inch and a half since February while the rest of my hair appears to be in exactly the same "barely APL" length. Saaaad.

jeanniet
April 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Whoops, I meant when you have bangs that you're not growing out. Naturally this doesn't hold true if you really do want them to grow, lol.

countryhopper
April 25th, 2010, 11:16 PM
dreams-in-pink You and I have about the same length exactly, but a bit the opposite! My front ends are the longest (now at APL) and the center back layers are shorter. Yours are longer in the center/back! I think we should hit goal at about the same time!!

Is anyone planning to celebrate when they hit APL? Like buying a new hairtoy, trying a new treatment, evening uneven ends?

I'm SOOO tempted to straighten my ends NOW! The extra long piece make some buns possible to do now, though. I still can't decide whether or not to do it now or wait. Suggestions? The longest pieces are about 1 1/2 inches longer than the shorter ones. I don't often wear my hair down, though, so it's not really noticable to other people.

XcaliburGirl
April 26th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I agree about the watched pot thing.

In the past, I've grown my hair out from APL or BSL to beyond TBL with no effort. It always seemed to grow out quickly because I wasn't paying attention. I just couldn't be bothered with getting it cut.

Also, when I'm at shoulder length the hair sits differently. After BSL or so it basically just feels long (to me, anyway).

jeanniet
April 28th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I decided to grow my hair out because I'd been so busy for months that I just didn't have time to go in and get it cut--people started saying, "Wow, your hair has gotten longer!" so I figured hey, now's the time to do it...and now of course it seems like it's not growing at all. Ugh.

curlylocks85
April 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Glad I am not the only one. I know that it is growing becuase I look at my older pictures and I can see the progress. I know we will all glance at our hair one day and it will be longer than we were expecting.

Happy Growing!

GermanCurl
May 4th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I'm at 20" stretched! Finally out of teens and I'm seeing some progress. 3 more inches to go until APL... I cannot wait.

countryhopper
May 4th, 2010, 11:46 PM
HOORAY!!! I'VE HIT APL!!! :cheese:

I combed my ends straight and then wrapped a towel under my arms as you would wrap a towel around yourself after getting out of the shower, and the ends get caught (barely) under the towel! Hooray!

I guess it looked so much shorter before because my ends like to flip up. :D

Pixna
May 5th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Woohoo!!! Congratulations, Countryhopper!!! :happydance:

Messyhair
May 5th, 2010, 07:14 PM
It will still be a while for me to hit APL, but I'm seeing progress all the same! Enjoy the journey! Congrats to those to have made it!

dropinthebucket
May 6th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Yeah, it's a really awkward stage! I'm just past collarbone, on my way to APL. My hair grows kinda slowly, I think - I've got about 4 inches to go - so maybe in 8 months at a good estimate I'll hit this goal, by next x-mas, i guess. It's not really longish right now, and it's not really short-ish - so it doesn't look styled or in a style at all, just in between. Can't do updos with it, it's too fine and slippery, even a French twist won't hold.

dropinthebucket
May 6th, 2010, 07:07 AM
YES! I swear that must be true, argh! I might start actually measuring to see if there's a difference because my bangs have grown like an inch and a half since February while the rest of my hair appears to be in exactly the same "barely APL" length. Saaaad.

I swear, I think I have proof of this! (which might also suggest Spidermom's stylist is right!) I had highlights put in my hair about a year ago, put in the bangs, put in the rest of it, all over. A year of "growing my hair out" later - the bangs are all grown out, no trace of highlights left at all. BUT, the hair right beside them, that has not been cut to keep it bang-length, has highlights! *further up* than my bangs! i'm not describing this right ... ok, picture a straight set of bangs with straight hair right on both sides of the face. on the bangs, there are no highlights, just one colour hair. move right across, like with a ruler, and higher up than that line, on the hair right beside the bangs that is long around the face, there are highlights! therefore, the bangs *must* have grown faster than the rest of the hair! proof!! :)

juliaxena
May 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I think my hair has grown a bit again. It looks to me it is starting to form a U hemline which is one I like best I think. Does anyone remember my previous photo and can anyone confirm it has grown? I might feel like I belong to this post a bit more lol

jeanniet
May 6th, 2010, 11:49 AM
So if you have wavy hair, do you measure it combed out/flat, wet, or just as is? I think my hair would be a good 3" longer if I measured it wet. It's wavering right around APL, but I need to take a picture because it's hard to tell just looking at it from the side.

Snowcold
May 6th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I belong in this thread too! Only an inch or two to go! :)

longhairdream
May 6th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hello there - count me in too ! Have just finished a year of growth from a short pixie - my front layers are at chin level - hoping to grow'em all out to APL ! :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4448&pictureid=66724

smilinjenn71
May 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hello there - count me in too ! Have just finished a year of growth from a short pixie - my front layers are at chin level - hoping to grow'em all out to APL ! :)

YAY, welcome longhairdream!!! Your growth is looking great and the shine....WOW!!!:coolblue: (had to find the little man with the sunglasses on) hehe

dropinthebucket
May 7th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Your shine is absolutely gorgeous longhairdream! can i ask if it's hendigo? and if so, how you got that incredibly, cool brown colour from it? (if it's not, i'll just be over here, minding my own business .... :) )

longhairdream
May 7th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Thankyou so much ! Hehe - no its just my natural hair colour - I have black hair but with a brown tinge - its mostly visible with the flash :)

longhairdream
May 7th, 2010, 10:16 AM
YAY, welcome longhairdream!!! Your growth is looking great and the shine....WOW!!!:coolblue: (had to find the little man with the sunglasses on) hehe
Thankyou smilinjenn71 :) ! Your hair is looking superbly trimmed too- I love the style ! :)

smilinjenn71
May 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Thankyou smilinjenn71 :) ! Your hair is looking superbly trimmed too- I love the style ! :)

Shucks, thank you!:crush:

XcaliburGirl
May 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM
So if you have wavy hair, do you measure it combed out/flat, wet, or just as is? I think my hair would be a good 3&quot; longer if I measured it wet. It's wavering right around APL, but I need to take a picture because it's hard to tell just looking at it from the side. I don't know. I think it would help me if I measured it wet. I've decided to do picture measuring. My first "official" length picture was "second-day hair" (i.e. before I washed it, since I was daily) and combed. Mine is so thick and puffy at this length. It seemed so much more manageable at longer lengths because the length weighs it down. It's annoying to measure because my hemline width is sticking out several inches at a 45 degree angle, not to mention the flippy pieces. Sorry for the rant. Felt good though.

jeanniet
May 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I don't know. I think it would help me if I measured it wet. I've decided to do picture measuring. My first "official" length picture was "second-day hair" (i.e. before I washed it, since I was daily) and combed. Mine is so thick and puffy at this length. It seemed so much more manageable at longer lengths because the length weighs it down. It's annoying to measure because my hemline width is sticking out several inches at a 45 degree angle, not to mention the flippy pieces. Sorry for the rant. Felt good though.
I get the flippiness, too, at shorter lengths. Very annoying. I don't know why I didn't just leave my hair longer all this time rather than fighting with it. I do get the "your hair is flat when it's longer" line from other people, but what they don't get is that I like my hair flatter, lol--and I don't have to feel like I'm ripping at it every time I try to comb i!

jeanniet
May 7th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Well, I just did a Feye's self-trim, sort of. My hair is still a bit layered, I guess, because the ends seemed to be different lengths. I was terrified to cut much, so I barely dusted the ends and there wasn't much trimmed off. What I did was part my hair in half and bring the ends over my shoulders to the front and then trim. How the heck do you trim otherwise? I couldn't get a ponytail over my shoulder. I'm the only female in this house and I don't dare ask my husband or sons to trim for me. Last time I asked my poor hubby to trim my hair there was a 1" difference from one side to the other, and he was so proud of himself! :rolleyes:

The good news is, looks like I'm at APL, at least with my hair all combed out. I do have a bit of a U shape still, and I'm APL at the bottom of the U, but that counts, right? :D

Dreams_in_Pink
May 14th, 2010, 01:20 PM
:joy::cheer::cheese: I'm APL!! I'm APL!!! :joy::cheer::cheese:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4555&pictureid=71984

Pixna
May 14th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Congratulations, Dreams In Pink!! :toast:

breezefaerie
May 14th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Congrats on reaching APL Dreams!

This is the hardest part of the journey for me, getting from the shoulder to APL. I'm really high waisted so WL isn't that terribly far after APL for me.

Dreams_in_Pink
May 15th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Thank you Pixna and breezefaerie! :cheese:

Beatrice
May 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I'm at flip length now and should be at APL sometime in the fall. My hair grows pretty quickly; during college I bounced between flip and APL constantly. I don't get split ends, even with daily heat styling--that's one good thing about coarse hair--so I trim only a couple times a year. I don't measure, either. I just wake up one day with long hair! :)

redneckprincess
May 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM
im back...just had 1.5" cut off to remove some layering and thicken up the edges...so again I am at 19" and not quite APL...

Dreams_in_Pink
May 15th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I just wake up one day with long hair! :)

That sounds too good to be true :D

paper
May 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I'm at shoulder length now, and going for APL. I was at APL this time last year. I cut my hair back to chin length to get rid of dye. I hope to be at APL (again) by the end of the year.

Bast
May 15th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I could have sworn that my longest layers were hitting APL, even after I got my dusting last month. Now, it seems like my hair is actually getting shorter. :knitfrog:

Dreams_in_Pink
May 16th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I could have sworn that my longest layers were hitting APL, even after I got my dusting last month. Now, it seems like my hair is actually getting shorter. :knitfrog:

Hang in there, same thing happened to me too. I guess it has something to do with shrinkage.

Also check your ends to make sure they're not breaking off.

Fluke
May 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I just realised I belong to this crowd now...! :D

Don't think I've posted since I was a "super shortie" with my own haircolor.
Now I'm a shoulder length henna head.. :D

Messyhair
May 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'm hopeful that I can reach APL by the end of the year. My Christmas present to me. haha! It all depends on how much I trim off in July. I have two definite layers, so I may attempt a u-shape to even it up a bit, or I may just take off what I need to in order to even up one side with the other. Depends on how brave I am.

Kaileida
May 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM

Oh, this happens to all of us xD I notice you're typed at 1a, is it possible that you have more wave than you initially thought? 'Cause waves seem to devour length!