PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have non-breakage related baby hairs on their canopy?

ericthegreat
September 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I have a whole halo of short, baby hairs that are anywhere from an inch to maybe 3 inches long that line my front hairline, the nape of my neck and also several short, baby fine hairs that dot my canopy as well. I've plucked and examined some these baby hairs, the ends are pointy and tapered, not cut across. Since I often shed many of these baby hairs when I CO my hair, I really do think that these hairs will not grow any longer.

Since I'm a 1aer, at those really short lengths these hairs often stand straight up on top of my head. I have to brush my hair back and when I do my usual part in the middle, I have to carefully brush my baby hairs over to evenly blend them in with the rest of my hair. If my hair is dry and I pull it into a quick ponytail, all my baby hairs spike up and stick out of hairline. This is why I get my scalp soaking wet when I want to do a purposeful ponytail. I want my scalp to be neat and sleek shiny when in a ponytail.

Does anyone else also have these kinds of short baby hairs?

hmmm
September 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Oooh yes. I can't tell if I have them at the nape of my neck too (I never noticed when my hair was longer), but I do have them in the front of my hairline, I always have. They're like what you described, but they're thicker to one side and thinner to the side where my natural parting is.
However they aren't as long as yours, they're quite short, not more than a centimeter max, and so you can only see them if I'm wearing a hairstyle in which my hair is pulled back.

When I was little, my mom would comb them forward and to the side, so it looked like a natural little fringe, she thought it was very cute, lol.

Peter
September 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah, they're natural. Your hairs shed, and when a new hair grows in, it sometimes sticks out like that.

eadwine
September 26th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Anyone else have non-breakage related baby hairs on their canopy?
Of course, everyone has them. :)

BunnyBee
September 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Yes, I seem to have lots of them lately. I smooth them down with shea butter :)

cocolover
September 26th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I have had these all my life, they fringe my forehead like mini-bangs. It seems like the don't grow, because they are always there, always the same length! They make it impossible for me to a really sleek do:)

Rohele
September 26th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I don't really have baby hairs growing around my hairline like many people do, but I have lots and lots sticking up throughout my hair. You're lucky you have straight hair, Eric - if you think they're hard to to tame you should try getting curly ones to lie down flat, lol.

inertia
September 26th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I have baby hairs around the hairline and nape too. Seems like everyone does. I think it's normal and nothing to worry about.

(edited post because I totally misunderstood the thread, haha)

Fiferstone
September 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Yes, I've got them too, they look really wierd, but I am thankful that it's new growth :)

Misha
September 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I have these too.

And when you've got curly hair, with frizz on humid days, with this fuzzy halo - it's not fun. :rolleyes:

I take consolation in the hope that they will grow longer , and I'll just end up with thicker hair. :)

Quixii
September 26th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah. I've had them as long as I can remember, but lately they seem to be getting in the way more. I wonder if they actually are getting longer...?
'Course, them being damage is still an option. I'm not entirely sure how to tell if they are or not.

angelthadiva
September 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I have these too.

And when you've got curly hair, with frizz on humid days, with this fuzzy halo - it's not fun. :rolleyes:

I take consolation in the hope that they will grow longer , and I'll just end up with thicker hair. :)

We are close to hair twins and this has not happened yet to me and I'm @ thigh length. I hope your wishes come true, though! :flower:

BBB and fine tooth combs are my friends. Rain and humidity are NOT! :lol:

Elvi
September 26th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Sure I have had such baby hairs ever since childhood. The small ones from the neckline have been cut or shaved away many times during years. Donīt guys do that type of trimming, too?

angelthadiva
September 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Sure I have had such baby hairs ever since childhood. The small ones from the neckline have been cut or shaved away many times during years. Donīt guys do that type of trimming, too?

I'm not a dude, but I line my hair in the back. I went a while w/o and I felt like wolfgirl. No offense to wolfgirl here :D

My baby hairs I talk about are at my temples mainly, but I suppose it is my whole hair line now that I think of it :suspect:

Elvi
September 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Angelthadiva: If I were you, I would ask many people´s opinion about your hair before changing the front hemline. Maybe others think the small irregularity gives your features more personality in a good way. :sun:

Rapunzal2Be
September 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I have a ton because I am finally regrowing a lot of hair I'd previously lost. I mist my hair with Eqyss Avocado Moisture spray and use a big glob of aloe vera gel to smooth my hair down for a pony tail. They're annoying, but I love my little baby hairs! I cherish each little one, LOL!

rhubarbarin
September 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Everyone has them. Besides the normal 'baby hairs' that are growing in all over your head, most people also have hairs with a short terminal length all around their hairline, especially at temples and nape. I have more than average myself.

HotRag
September 26th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Eric, I have baby hairs on canopy. I was wondering if they were damage hairs or if they have shorter life than the other. I can se no damage but haven't investigated them.

I wondered if it was maybe those hairs that can thin out from age, most in men, but also in women, because in the middle of the sides, there are not as many.

But - then I have gotten more of those baby hairs on canopy since I started sleeping with braid. That should be a do that can make canopy hairs damaged. So I started sleeping with my hair loose now, maybe I can see a difference in some months.

I canät be sure what of above it can be, because I haven't checked their ends very close (just saw they had no split or dot).

The length of those small hairs are from one inch to were braid starts (also a something that can mean "sleep in braid-damage").

I also have a sleeping bonnet, but I feel like my hair line could be damaged from that, even though the bonnets edge is really soft.

vampodrama
September 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I have a lot of them. They like to stand up too, so my hair always looks... well, hairy.

I have a ton of wispies at my hairline too. Those don't grow any longer, so I guess I'm stuck with them forever. Which is a pity, because if they grew, my hair would be quite a bit thicker - I simply have SO much of those short hairs.

angelthadiva
September 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Angelthadiva: If I were you, I would ask many peopleīs opinion about your hair before changing the front hemline. Maybe others think the small irregularity gives your features more personality in a good way. :sun:

I don't do anything to the front, it is the back I line up. The front grows naturally that way. I've always had baby hairs. The back according to DH looks like a wolf. I line it, so I have a nice clean kitchen from the rear view. I wear my hair up all.the.time. so I like to have it cleaned up back there.

I suppose what you mentioned would look rather crazy, and if I thought to wear a style like that (mullet) I would certainly poll those who's opinion I completely trust. No offense to the mullet wears here. :lol:

QueenAnne'sLace
September 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I have these too.

Absolutely right on the frizz, although a little jojoba oil calms them down. :meditate:

Fractalsofhair
September 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I do have a few hairs like that. Hair does shed! What I do is I brush them down with a butter or heavy oil to weigh them down.

Just curious, are you sure they aren't breakage related? You've been changing your hair color a bit lately, and although it looks good, damage can happen!

eadwine
September 26th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Oh mind you.. just thought of something.

That baby hair might be new hair from hair that was pulled out because of you pony tailing too tightly! Something you should take into consideration as they are exactly where one would expect them from that sort of pulling.

Kris Dove
September 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I have loads of these and always have had them, mostly at my sides above my ears. I used to straighten them at the same time I did my bangs, but I've recently stopped doing this to prevent damage if they are indeed new growth. I don't like the idea of using product to tame them either as it tends to feel nasty, or make my hair look greasy.

I frequently tuck them behind my ears, but they tend to just ping up again!

At least my hair isn't short any more, when it was, it felt as if my whole head was covered in this type of sticky-up annoying hair until it grew long enough that gravity started weighing most of it down!

Gabriel
September 26th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I've always had a fair amount of these baby hairs. I started noticing more of them when I tried sleeping with my hair braided. I'm hoping they will calm down more now that I'm trying sleeping with a sleep bonnet.

Honey39
September 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Agree with the tight pony tails potentially causing them! I am very wary of pulling my hair tightly in any direction day after day.

But yeah, I get lots of new growth too - makes me happy, even if it is frizzy, shows that my hair is still sprouting! :)

spidermom
September 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Sometimes I think I have about 1 million of them and look like a dandelion puff.

ericthegreat
September 26th, 2009, 10:34 PM
You guys might be right about my high ponytails. I really am strict about pulling my hair back as neatly and tightly as possible. I love the sleek, shiny, brushed back, flat to my scalp look of my ponytails, and for me the higher the ponytail the more elegant I feel.

I think I'll try to limit my high ponytails to just special occasions. I'll wear my hair in a lower ponytail for my everyday life.

Fractals, I'm *hoping* that my recent flirting with color hasn't caused me to have breakage related baby hairs. I've always had these baby hairs even when my hair was totally virgin. My hair doesn't feel dry and I haven't noticed any of my long hair strands breaking off when I brush my hair out even after coloring my hair twice now..........................so hopefully I got out of this scott free.

Ugggh..........I still have to touch up my roots within every two months. I really love my new color, I just wish it were my natural color so I wouldn't have to subject my hair to all this lightening.

longhairedfairy
September 27th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, tons of them.:)

eadwine
September 27th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Ugggh..........I still have to touch up my roots within every two months. I really love my new color, I just wish it were my natural color so I wouldn't have to subject my hair to all this lightening.
Or you could just accept your natural color, then you don't have to do all that ;)

Arashi
September 27th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I have a bunch of those little baby hairs, too. I know they're not damage related because they don't have any splits or white dots. I figure they're just new hairs growing in the place of old shed hairs. They don't stick out unless it's humid outside, so they usually don't bother me.

Katze
September 27th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I have them, anywhere from .5 inch long to about 10 inches long. A year ago, I had mostly one 4 inch layer.

Since my (crown) hair has gotten thicker since joining LHC, I figure they are new growth and are (hopefully!) going to replace shed old long hairs.

But because my hair is wavy they are a HUGE pain to deal with. My hair never, ever looks tidy, and at the moment these baby hairs make almost every hairdo, up or down, look terrible, since I have shed about 75% of my length.

I know that gel, aloe gel, or even hairspray work for many people. Mine are so bad that nothing works...

HotRag
September 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I've always had a fair amount of these baby hairs. I started noticing more of them when I tried sleeping with my hair braided. I'm hoping they will calm down more now that I'm trying sleeping with a sleep bonnet.
That's my experience too.
But I now try to sleep with no bonnet either. First night after wash (with decyl glucose shampoo, not egg or IHW) hair wants to tangle, but after that it's tangle free until next wash.

ericthegreat
September 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Since everyone has these baby hairs, I feel better now. Its normal! Whew!

Jeepchick99tj
September 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I have the baby hair all the way around my hairline. When I first started going to my stylist, she was freaked out when she first saw the ones in the back, thinking they were breakage.

My dad had a ton of baby hair, but as he got older, he shed them all. I guess that's where the guy baby hair goes!

julya
September 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM
My baby hairs are curly compared to the rest of my straight hair. I think that they look sort of cute, and soften the look of updos. At least I hope that they do, I never really bother to tame them.

23_seconds
September 27th, 2009, 06:24 PM
||||||||||

ericthegreat
September 27th, 2009, 06:25 PM
That actually sounds cool julya. I wish I had ANY curly strands at all on my head. But no, I'm blessed with (sometimes I feel cursed with) pin straight 1a hair.

luluj
September 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Eric, trust me on this one, colouring your hair "will" eventually lead to damage in the long term. Have fun with it for now, but less is better. I have come to realize, through much trial and error, that Mother Nature truly does know best. Your natural colour is so awesome!

JamieLeigh
September 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have them. I used to assume it was ponytail breakage, but then I noticed long ago that I wasn't brushing them back into my ponytail at all, and they weren't getting any longer. I have them all around my hairline, front and back, top and bottom, left and right. :rolleyes: They're actually curly over my ears and at the nape of my neck, which looks neat with updos. In front, they're stick-straight, but sometimes when I pull them down towards my cheeks, it makes my buns look less severe. (And trust me, with my tortoise-shell glasses and angular face, my buns can look librarian-severe!!! :eek: ) ;)

Dez
September 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
i have them too. I really dislike them. They are most noticeable when my hair is parted in the middle down and they stick up really crazy when my hair is drying. like they don't want to touch each other or the rest of my hair or something. LOL So i try to part on the side, or pull the top back with a clip since i can't be messing with them and mess up my curls. LOL Lately they have been even more crazy and i'm hoping that they are growing out since i no longer use pony tails.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I just went through a big shed and I've got them all over the top of my head lol I'm really loving my aloe right now!

Funsizedbaby
December 1st, 2009, 11:13 PM
I also have 1a hair and I get little 1 inch bits in the front of my hair line and right along my part on my crown.