PDA

View Full Version : Hair decor

keshini
September 25th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Since this community encompasses people from around the world as well as people who may visit other parts of the world, I thought I would pose this question:
what hair decorations have you seen in places that you live or have visited?
For instance, I have lived a great part of my life in India where women wear flowers on their hair. I intend to post pictures of this very soon. Until then will wit for other posts.

keshini
September 25th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I meant to type I would "wait" for other posts ;)...

longhairedfairy
September 26th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Watching this thread with interest.:)

Sister13
September 26th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Of course, African Americans do a lot of decorating braids with beads and the Caribbean influence brings in weaves and streaks of far-out colors like blue, red and yellow.

I'm fascinated by hair sewing. Tarrin did this online with one of her Victorian 'dos.

Beatnik Guy
September 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
For instance, I have lived a great part of my life in India where women wear flowers on their hair. I intend to post pictures of this very soon. Until then will wit for other posts.
I have seen that in India too. Flowers and shiny black hair. :cloud9:

Welcome to LHC, btw. Saw your hair pictures at a certain meet thread. :cool:

Rae~
September 26th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I love the various kanzashi that are worn in Japan. I am definitely going to look for some small ones for myself, next time I visit! So beautifully made...

longhairedfairy
September 27th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I love the various kanzashi that are worn in Japan. I am definitely going to look for some small ones for myself, next time I visit! So beautifully made...
Those are really beautiful and so are Korean hairsticks and ornaments. The traditional Korean hairsticks look a bit thicker than what I normally wear and are curved on one end. Then there are the decorative hairpins(?) that kisaeng wore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziC_zKrEvU0 glimpses of close-ups of ornaments at about 0:25, 5:20, 8:40 to about 8:53.
You can see some at about 1:17. It's not close enough to see all the detail, but you can see how they're arranged.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQaiVwqaxfk&feature=related
At about 2:25 they show some ornaments not in the hair, so maybe you can get an idea of their construction. I think some of these are for hair and some are not.

keshini
September 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM
That was a help-out-of-the-blue LHC encounter, Beatnik Guy. Looking back, it seems almost incredible!

adiapalic
September 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Definitely interested in seeing photos on this thread :)

Medievalmaniac
September 28th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I have lived most of my life in the conservative American South. Mostly, women wear their hair down, or in French braids, ponytails, half-ups, or buns, and mostly they just hold them there with scrunchies, headbands, or bobby pins. When I lived in Washington, D.C., all the women I knew wore no-nonsense, cropped/short styles, or had their hair pinned up or plain-old down.

As I have said before, this world of beautiful hairtoys is brand new to me, and I regret having lived so many years on this planet without knowing or seeing all of this before. I LOVE internet! lol So, I would definitely be interested in seeing pictures of beautiful hairtoys and traditions from around the world. :)

rchorr
September 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
And, it was a fun encounter! I can't WAIT for you to get enough posts to see that discussion. You got LOTS of wonderful complements on your hair. :)

As for hair toys, I like seeing "different" things. I live in a major university town with lots of different ethnicities. It's fun to see the styles that people bring with them.

RCHORR'