PDA

View Full Version : Occasional Silver/White Hair Normal?

Nenwing
September 25th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I am now 26, and since a few years ago, will occasionally notice a white hair wiring out at the top of my head. Is this normal to get? I wonder if it means I will go grey or white earlier than is normal. I think silver/white hair can look really neat, but I don't want to have a head full yet!

Ven
September 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I would say it is normal.

I am 33 years old and I think I have one grey/white hair in my bangs. I have never dyed my hair.

In highschool a girl sitting behind me "helped me out" by plucking a grey hair she saw. So even though I had a grey at 17ish, it did not herald the onset of multiple greys for me.

However, it is in our genetics too. One of my brothers started going grey in highschool. He is now mostly pure silver at 42 and he has an impressively thick head of hair too. Nobody else in my family is like this.

edit: I have in the past plucked the occasional grey hair. but that is very rare. My hairdresser lets me know if she sees any too. So its not like I am missing the ones I cannot see well.

~Ven

Dars
September 25th, 2009, 10:41 PM
It's down to genetics. I've had grey hairs since I was around 15. I'm destined to go grey very early.

adiapalic
September 25th, 2009, 10:43 PM
My 24 year old brother-in-law gets a few little great sprigs every now and then. I think his papa started going gray in his late teens. So far though, he doesn't seem to be graying like he says his grampa did.

I imagine it's probably a common thing to find a gray here and there.

09robiha
September 26th, 2009, 04:08 AM
This might not be what you are looking for but myself and one of my friends have ALWAYS had the occasional strand of silver hair. I think its just the haircolour.
Also I had a teacher who was in her early 20's who had a strip of gray/silver hair about 3cm across but it was only this strip and had occured due to stress from the death of her grandfather.

Lize
September 26th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Like the others said, I don't think there's a "normal" age to go gray. It's just genetics. I am 26 years old too, and I have forund two or three white strands in my hair. I am letting them be and I will embrace my whites/silvers as the come. I actually find it kind of cool. :D

Flynn
September 26th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Yes. Completely normal.

Mum used to pluck the occasional one off my head when I was still in primary school, and she was still doing my hair every day. Both sides of my family don't go grey until much later than average, so it seems unlikely that I'm a premature greyer. (At 50, my mum still only has a handful of greys.)

Now I'm 22, and I have a patch of about a dozen or fewer on my right temple, and probably another small handful scattered throughout. (That's after four years of steady grinding stress... I really want to do well enough to get in to do a PhD!)

embee
September 26th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Normal, I think. When I was in college one morning I awoke to find a great white hair corkscrewing its way out of an eyebrow! Yikes, what a shock. It was a couple of inches long and I swear it was not there the night before. I yanked it out of course and that hurt. It was really rooted in solidly! Never had another and that was *many* years ago. Have had a few silvers scattered throughout my life though, no biggie.

Sia
September 26th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I think a lot of people go gray quite early. But most people do all they can to cover it so it seems abnormal and unusual if someone in their teens/twenties has a few silvers here and there.
I started going grey when I was a teen and actually didn't mind until my mid-twenties or so when so many people asked why on earth I didn't dye. I caved, but regret it now as the transition on virgin hair is going to be fierce!:rolleyes:

Vrushali
September 26th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I have had 5-6 grey strands for the last 6 years and haven't noticed any more so I guess its normal. I went through a really stressful period back then and attribute the graying to that. So don't worry its normal!:)

~GypsyCurls~
September 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I'm the same way, I actually noticed my first gray hair at 14 and now at 27 I have several, but no one really notices them except for me. Eventually when my hair goes 100& gray/silver/white, I will keep it but for now I use semi permanent dye to hide it :)

Kaileida
September 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM
My best friend is 28 and he has stripes of silver. :D Totally normal. Pretty cool, too, if you ask me.

Gypsy
September 27th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I noticed my first gray when I was 20 and the new ones would come very slowly, like one a year if that.
Now they come faster than I can dye them and dye them I do.
My dad was born with 5 grays, according to his mom.
2 of my kids had silvers since pre-school (not quite gray or with, shimmery, like silver.).

freckles
September 28th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I'm 20. I got my first grey hair at 14, my second at 17, and I found my third last week. I think it's pretty normal, though the 'early' side of normal. Mine have all been plucked out!

Asta
September 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I just turned 27 and found my first white hair earlier this year. It appeared to be new growth (when I found it, it was about two inches long) and was thicker than the rest of my hair and seemed curly! Out of curiosity I plucked it so I could get a closer look; it was mostly silver and the few millimeters next to the bulb were brown :confused:. And during my early twenties I had a single eyebrow hair that kept growing back reddish-gold. It disappeared around the time I turned 25.

luluj
September 28th, 2009, 08:07 AM
My best friend is 28 and he has stripes of silver. :D Totally normal. Pretty cool, too, if you ask me.

Yes it is totally normal Kaileida, in fact there is a web site devoted to silver hair exclusively (I am a long time member) and many, many of the members are quite young. Check it out! www.goinggraylookinggreat.com

hennaphile
September 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I have three and I'm 23 :)

I like silver hair though.

Angela_Rose
September 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I’m twenty-five and have had silvers poke up here and there since I was eleven. Back then, we chalked it up to the stress of my Dad having leukemia. They went away a couple of years later and a few resurfaced when I was seventeen. Now, though, I’ve suddenly got a budding skunk stripe behind my right ear and it’s wonderful. Women in my family tend to grey out very, very late (my 78 year old maternal grandmother is still a redhead and has never dyed a strand!) and I’m secretly thrilled to be getting my silvers early.

Nenwing
September 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Well it helps to know its not just me! To be honest I am going to try and grow my hair long before it goes grey, and I was just afraid it meant I was going grey now and wouldn't have that chance!

Eden Iris
September 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I found my first silver hair at 25. At almost 41, I've got maybe a dozen. Little silver outriders in your 20s are not always a harbinger of premature gray. A more accurate indicator would be your family's hair: is your mom gray?

Nenwing
September 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I found my first silver hair at 25. At almost 41, I've got maybe a dozen. Little silver outriders in your 20s are not always a harbinger of premature gray. A more accurate indicator would be your family's hair: is your mom gray?

Hmm, to be honest I haven't seen my mom in quite awhile (years) so I am not sure how grey she is at this point. The last time I saw her she wasn't really grey, and she was like mid 40s.

I like the way you put that, silver outriders, hanging out there to scare me!

JamieLeigh
September 30th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Look at the greying patterns of your parents, that will likely determine the natural pattern of your own hair. I used to find the odd silver in my hair back when I was a teen. Now I don't pull them out anymore - I am 29 and have about 5, I think. :)

x0h_bother
May 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I just turned 24, and I'd say for about 3 years I've been growing some whites from the top of my head. There are about 3 main ones I see and one in my bang. I find it odd that they are white but I love that. I do occasionally pluck them because they stand on end from having been plucked. But in my opinion, they do not multiply from being plucked out, they multiply from going gray ;)