PDA

View Full Version : Damp Bunning?

AnnaMarie
September 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Whats the best method of doing it, and what is its actual purpose? I've been trying to get more moisture into my hair lately would this help? Does dampening my hair everyday cause it more damage? Any info would be greatly appreciated :o

AnnaMarie
September 26th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Er, bumping in the hope of a reply, or are these silly questions:o

Kris Dove
September 26th, 2009, 03:15 AM
One purpose of having your hair damp while bunning it is to prevent flyaways, so the bun looks tidier- some people use a spray bottle of water on dry hair, others just put it up straight after washing.

Putting it up straight after washing also prevents the hair being damaged while it's air drying, but it will take longer to dry this way- I've heard people saying their hair is still a bit damp after 36 hours! I personally wouldn't do this as I hate sitting around with wet hair so I am naughty and blow dry it, but I do use a spray bottle occasionally for a tidier look. HTH

Aer
September 26th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I have a theory on keeping hair wet too long, I think it can lead to damage, unless you are using a deep leave in conditioner or oil. If I feel the need to put my hair in a bun or a braid wet, I coat my hair in a light oil, then I put it up. The reason I have a theory, is because I notice tht if I put my hair up when it's just plain wet with water, it snags whatever is holding my hair up easier, even if it's just an elastic, and it tangles more when I let it down after. I've noticed more damage too, it could just be me though. I just wait for it to naturally air dry, then I comb it, and put it in the gentlest bun I can. I'm sure there are good reasons people put their hair up wet, I'm just not sure of what those are. BTW, your questions are not silly, I'm pretty sure there are other inquiring minds on here that have the same questions. I would like to know more myself!:drama:

julliams
September 26th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I am in Australia and in the middle of dust storms at the moment so I decided to put my hair in a bun after washing today because of the wind and dirt. I put it in the bun at 8am and took it out now at 7:30pm (almost 12 hours later) and it is now pretty much as wet as when I put it up. The top is dry and the ends of course but the most part of my hair is quite wet. I would think that leaving hair wet for that length of time would not be good for hair since it is fragile when wet and can stretch. Having to hold a but up all day that is wet would be heavy too so hmmmm - not sure.

Heidi_234
September 26th, 2009, 04:15 AM
For me, with my curly hairtype, damp bunning tames frizz and helps air dry hair into particular shape. If I damp bun it in a twisting bun (like cinnamon bun) my hair forms into swirled round curls. If I damp bun it in a non twisting bun (like Spidermom's bun) then it results in loosening my curls.

Some damp bun for bun waves, just like some air dry it in a braid for the braid waves it gives them. Also, some people wash their hair everyday, and have no problem with it, so unless you feel like your hair doesn't take it well, there's pretty much no damage in getting it damp everyday.

embee
September 26th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I don't like to leave my hair damp in a bun for many hours. I always wear my hair up, and if it's pretty damp when I put it up it will be *days* before it dries. Somehow that strikes me as not so good. After all, damp warmth is mold and fungus heaven.... Urk. Yuk.

Carolyn
September 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM
My hair likes to get wet. I don't put my hair up sopping wet most of the time. I do it after it's partially dried. The ends and some of the length is kept damp for several hours. I don't keep it wet for days without allowing it to dry. I don't think that hair being damp for a period of hours is harmful to my hair. I think it's keeps the moisture in my ends. I usually do a looser bun when I damp bun. It's easier to get my pins or sticks into the bun if it's not really wet. I've heard those breaking hairs when I've tried to stick a Ficcare beak into a tightly wound wet bun.

julliams
September 26th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Carolyn,
I just love the picture in your post of your hair with glorious wavy curls in it. I'm a knitter too so I just love it.

Juliette

HildeMV
September 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
My hair like never dries if I bun it or braid it when it's wet. If it's nearly dry I guess it could work, and I get curly/wavy hair then.

Carolyn
September 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Carolyn,
I just love the picture in your post of your hair with glorious wavy curls in it. I'm a knitter too so I just love it.

JulietteThank you! :flowers:

Shermie Girl
September 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I routinely damp bun. I dislike wearing my hair down and I don't like having a bunch of loose, wet hair flopping all over the place so up it goes. I normally anchor my damp bun with a Ficcare or sticks. My hair is pretty short, right now so it will dry a good amount of the way in a bun and I normally take it down and gently finger comb it to finish it drying before I hit the sack. I don't like to sleep on wet or damp hair because it is clammy and uncomfortable so I make sure it is dry before I go to bed.

Taika
September 26th, 2009, 09:30 AM
does damp bunning make your hair waveup nicely?? In my mind this happens... but I dont know since I do not have hair long enough to try... :)

Sheltie_Momma
September 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I damp bun to reduce frizz, flyaways and form my waves into a nice pattern. I have very wiry, coarse wavy hair, so twisting it and then bunning it compresses it and makes it much smoother and sleeker. I place the bun at lower nape, so when it dries the canopy is smooth from being pulled back, the length has smooth large waves from being coiled and the very ends spiral from being wrapped around the bun - overall a nice effect imho. It ends up looking very styled for the next few days, without any effort.

I bun it with four or five 3 inch Amish pins - this is not damaging as far as I can tell, it doesn't pull or snarl or anything.

AnnaMarie
September 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone :) They have been very helpfull. I have noticed softer ends since I have been doing this so I 'll keep doing it. I will be extra carefull to prevent breakage