PDA

View Full Version : Can switching from hard to soft water mean I need to clarify?

florenonite
September 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I've been using 'poo bars for the past several months, and never before had difficulty with it. Yesterday, however, I washed my hair and it was greasy again by the time it had dried! It looks ok when it's up, but tomorrow I'm definitely going to need to wash it. I'm wondering if I maybe need to clarify it. At first I dismissed this possibility, because I clarified a little over a fortnight ago. However, then it occurred to me that perhaps switching from the very hard water at home to the soft water here last week has upset my hair's balance, and I should clarify then go back to my 'poo bar.

Before I go and strip the oil out of my hair, I'm asking you lot if it's actually plausible that I need to clarify due to switching water, and if not, if you can think of anything else that might have caused this unexplained greasiness.

TIA

Elfe
September 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I believe that hard water could make your hair and scalp more dry than soft water.
Maybe your scalp is used to the hard water and produces more sebum. And soft water doesn't rinse as well as hard water does.
I think your hair should adapt to the hard water sooner or later.

Carolyn
September 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I believe clarifying can be a very good first step in solving many hair issues. You'll have a "clean slate" to start over with. I'd clarify, moisturized the heck out of your hair and then start over with the poo bars if that's what you want to use. You won't know until you try. Re-moisturizing is the key after clarifying.