PDA

View Full Version : Does your DH /SO trim your ends for you?

ambychelle
September 25th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I tried a self trim a few weeks ago and it was horribly uneven. With all this shedding and having layers in my hair, I'd like to just take an inch off the ends right now to help thicken the hemline a little while I grow out these layers.

I'm trying to talk DH into trimming for me but he's SO not into the idea. I have waves that will hide a lot and it really can't look worse than it does after my wacky self-trim. But he's still not sure.

I need to have proof that husbands can and do trim ends.

(honestly, he's seen me comb my hair damp from the shower and seen how much hair slides out and I think he's more afraid of being freaked out by that but I REALLY need my ends trimmed and I don't trust a stylist to be gentle enough with combing and brushing)

RoseAnn
September 25th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I do my own split S&D but

my DH does my yearly trim as well as my two daughters who have shoulder length and tailbone length hair. They need a slight trim every 8 to 10 weeks because "teenagers" flat iron and fry their hair.

We stand on a step stool so we are at his eye level. He carefully does small sections at a time. Took him a while to not be nervous but he does a great free :agree: job.

He has been doing them so long he often says when we our out, "oohhh she definately needs a trim."

Peace and Blessings

LadyLongLocks
September 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
My SO gladly trims my hair and has done it 2 times. I need him to do it again very soon. I CAN trim my own hair easily, but I like him to do it now.
Im planning a trim probably in the next month and hope to make a little demo of it for youtube.
Im lucky that he does it, and he trims exactly what amount I want...unlike other people in the past who have taken off way too much!
I would never go into a salon unless it was a long hair salon.

bigmama8
September 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I haven't let anyone but my DH trim my hair for a long long time. He loves my long hair so he'd never cut off more than I wanted cut. I have a fear of hair stylists because I never did find one that would just cut a small amount off. So DH got drafted to do it. He started out the first time by cutting less than I wanted off just for practice. Then he did the length I wanted. After that he was more sure of himself and just cut it.

freckles
September 25th, 2009, 10:21 AM
My boyfriend doesn't do mine, but my grandma hasn't been to a hairdresser's in years - she has about chin length hair and my grandpa has cut it for a long time now :)

dearladydisdain
September 25th, 2009, 10:22 AM
My mom used to trim my hair for me, and I made my boyfriend do it recently. :)

missfortune9335
September 25th, 2009, 10:32 AM
lol, heck no! My DH frequently accidentally shaves off half of an eyebrow he's trying to 'trim up' on himself, I'm not letting him anywhere near my head! :scissors:

OhioLisa
September 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I don't trim anymore, but my last one was done by my DH. He did a great job. :)

MunchkinBubble
September 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I just recently had my SO trim my hair for the first time and he did great! I'll never trim my own again! He was VERY nervous at first - but then I could tell he kinda got into it and was really proud at the end of it. I'll be having him do another trim the first week of November and I've already told him that he's my new hairdresser. He rolled his eyes, but I think he'll secretly enjoy it. :) I also had him dye my hair when I had to dye it a month or so back. He again was pretty nervous and bumbling with the tools at first, but by the end he was confident and flipping my hair everywhere to get it done. And it turned out great!

Just reassure your hubby that as long as he takes a little at a time he doesn't have to worry about butchering your 'do. The scissors aren't going to magically jump out of his hands and cut 6" on accident. He'll be nervous at first - but I bet he'll get a kick out of how easy it is once he's done!

Good luck!

wolf girl
September 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I have litterally begged DH to do my trims. He's says he's too smart for that because he wants to stay on my good side....:rolleyes: I trust him more than a salon.:p

Carolyn
September 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't let mine near me with scissors. He's clumsy and fumble fingered with most house hold tasks. For all I know he could hate my hair and take the opportunity to make it go away. Nope :nono: I would never ask :scared: However I have a good friend I trust to trim it. She does a great job.

MemSahib
September 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Oh, I've asked him. Repeatedly. He looks at me like I'm nuts and says, "No!"

I counter, "But I cut yours and when I started doing it I knew zip about cutting hair. So why not cut mine? It's just straight across!" (Easier than what you asked me to do, I'm thinking.)

"You don't want me cutting your hair!" he insists.

But when I do my own I always ask him if it is even or not and he doesn't mind clipping a section if I get some too long. Go figure.

cindy58
September 25th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Mine is afraid he'd mess it up, so he won't. I've been debating for weeks trimming a few inches (3?) up to where my old bangs ended, and I've made an appt. for next week.

Nightshade
September 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
My DH does my trims, and he does a fantastic job :)

twolunarspring
September 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
My DH usually trims my ends for me... even though he hates me asking him because he knows how much I love my hair and is terrified he'll mess it up! He never does, though :)

A couple of months ago, I needed a slightly bigger trim and felt the need for some pampering, so chose to go to a new organic hairdresser in our town... was a very relaxing experience but they took off far too much, of course :rolleyes: so I don't know if I'll be doing that again.

Hay22
September 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM
My boyfriend doesn't do mine, but my grandma hasn't been to a hairdresser's in years - she has about chin length hair and my grandpa has cut it for a long time now :)

That's got to be one of the cutest things I've ever heard.

I don't really count in this conversation since I'm single and I never thought of having anyone besides a stylist cut my hair pre-LHC, but the last boyfriend I had probably would have been really good at it. He never wanted me to get haircuts, so he would have cut off very little. For the moment I'll stick with my stylist.

enfys
September 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I've asked, I've got no-where. Playing hairdresser is a one way thing between us.

DH is far too worried he'd either mess it up (layers) or spend too long being precise. However, he plaits my hair for me and I'm winning him round to learn more complex braiding. I leave cord around and he instinctively braids however many strands there are.

Just cutting straight across is easy peasy, but if he's never cut hair before maybe get one of those doll styling heads so he can practise cutting a centimetre off the ends until he's confident and understands how hair moves. That's how I learnt!

sweet*things
September 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I had my husband cut mine once. It was too short, and crooked. I thought I could trust an engineer to cut a straight line and to know what 2" meant, but I was wrong.

Islandgrrl
September 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
lol, heck no! My DH frequently accidentally shaves off half of an eyebrow he's trying to 'trim up' on himself, I'm not letting him anywhere near my head! :scissors:

Oh, that's funny. I thought my DS was the only guy who did this kind of thing. Although in all honesty I once removed half my daughter's eyebrow while trying to do a quick trim on her bangs with the buzzer. Hey....she moved. I told her not to!!!

My DH does not trim my hair, much as I'd love for him to do it for me. I've only done one self trim, and it was basically a dusting because I was too afraid to do any more than that!

LaurenH
September 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
My DH trimmed my hair for the 1st time a few days ago. :) It was only about 1/4 inch trim to even up my hemline, but he did a really great job! :D

dancingmegs
September 25th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I asked BF once. He looked horrified and said he was afraid he'd mess it up. I have my mom do my trims, and she does a great job.

eresh
September 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yes my SO trims my hair for me.
At first he was very scared (eeeh so was I but I didn't let him know that), but now he's proud to do it :)

sana junaid
September 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM
im planning for my new hair trim.This time i want that my boyfrnd do this for me :)

patience
September 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Not since I asked him to trim a fourth to half an inch and he took off 3 inches. :( He did a good, even job. I just didn't like him "to even up" my hair.

Hiriel
September 26th, 2009, 07:52 AM
If I want a trim, my boyfriend will do it for me, yes. Before I lived with him, my mother trimmed my hair. I'm not at all willing to pay someone to remove half an inch of hair, I can't really afford to either. It's not at all hard, as long as the hemline looks more like a straight line than a staircase, no one will notice that it's not completely even :)

I actually cut his hair as well, which is harder, since he has short hair, and mistakes show up so much more easily.

rchorr
September 26th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah, if I need a hand he helps me out. I know he won't cut too much off, because he likes it long. :-)

RCHORR'

lookingglass
September 26th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Yes! He lacks faith in hairdressers as well.

Isa-belle
September 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I always trim my hair myself. My SO of yore was just too scared he'd mess up and cut to much and I'd end up being upset :lol:

When hair is around BSL or shorter though, I can well imagine having someone trim it for you is much safer. Feye's self-trim method is ideal when you can bring your hair back to the front after tying it :)

RoseAnn
September 26th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by freckles
My boyfriend doesn't do mine, but my grandma hasn't been to a hairdresser's in years - she has about chin length hair and my grandpa has cut it for a long time now

[QUOTE=Hay22;782912]That's got to be one of the cutest things I've ever heard.

I agree talk about chivalry so sweet. I only hope DH will still wants to do my trims or even have patience lol most days I wonder with these four teenagers :misskim:

Peace and Blessings

wolf girl
September 28th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I hit my DH agagin this weekend about trimming me up a little (very little). He finally relented and then started talking something about getting level out to make sure he keeps it straight. LOL I don't care what he uses as long as he'll do it.

Climber
September 28th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Yes, he does, about once a year. Since I like a blunt, straight across hemline, there's minimal skill involved. And if my hemline is a little, well, off-kilter, so am I. :D

vanillakiss
September 28th, 2009, 10:20 AM
DH I understand as Dear Husband, but SO..?

patience
September 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
DH I understand as Dear Husband, but SO..?

= Significant Other

tsc
September 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Actually..I just convinced mine last night to do a trim for me, and he did really really well!

elianne
September 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Hehe, the mental image of shaving off half an eyebrow had me laughing out loud!

My SO trims my ends happily. He's very precise, thankfully, as I have super straight hair that shows any crookedness/wonky ends.

mooglewoo
September 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
It's easier when he does it, but hes usually not home when I plan hair stuff. He probably trims for me every third trim. We use Feye's self-trim method.
S&D's are all mine because I do that when I'm bored lolz

Zindell
September 29th, 2009, 07:00 AM
My DH refuses to trim my hair, even though I have a straight hemline and just need a short trim straight over. He is affraid to do it wrong... :D

My DD14 and I trim each other though.

morningstar
September 29th, 2009, 07:12 AM
My boyfriend trims mine. He is the only one I trust. I trim his too as he is growing out from very short. He has a straight eye and I swear he held a level up to my blunt ends once when trimming. LOL

elianne
September 29th, 2009, 07:15 AM
My boyfriend trims mine. He is the only one I trust. I trim his too as he is growing out from very short. He has a straight eye and I swear he held a level up to my blunt ends once when trimming. LOL

Nice! I think many of us wish that professional hairdressers were that precise!

Bianca
September 29th, 2009, 07:20 AM
My mom cuts mine. But I have had my BF do it once, and it turned out fine :)

morningstar
September 29th, 2009, 07:24 AM
elianne He is just very anal. LOL But for once I am glad. :D

harley mama
September 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I trim my own most of the time, when it gets trimmed! It has been a while. My DD trimmed my hair 6" after I finished chemo last year. Wow, I think it's time for me to dig my scissors out!

maegquare
September 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM
My husband trims mine, too. He does a great job, very straight, and exactly the right amount. The only problem is, when I decide I want to do it, he is usually not home or else busy. I really should learn to do it myself. :)

JamieLeigh
September 29th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I've never had my SO help me trim, I've just done it myself. But that doesn't mean he doesn't know how - I've just never asked. LOL.

A couple of tips if you're nervous - if you want a straight across blunt cut, use scotch tape to mark off the spot on your hair, then just have him cut the tape off. That's how my mom used to do my bangs. *shuddering* I'm sure it would work for a straight across trim.

If you want a u-shape, have him use Feye's method, just don't pull it up front like she advises, just move the scrunchie down your length to where you want to cut and have him cut below the scrunchie.

Good luck! You never know til you try, LOL. :)