PDA

View Full Version : Pampering your hair Too Much

hmmm
September 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Could there be anything wrong with that, do you think? :P
I just did a henna application not more than two days ago, it's barely oxidized, but I feel like doing something else, because I just got Amla powder last night. What do you think? Could there be anything to what my mom keeps telling me - that if I mess with my hair too much it'll fall out? :D

I just need to go read something other than the LHC forums...

lapushka
September 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't try too many different things practically all in one go. Patience... :D

spidermom
September 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Your mom is right. In general - one change at a time. If something works exceptionally well or goes horribly wrong, you will know exactly what it was. Too many things at once will confuse you. Try to hold out for 10 days to 2 weeks between experiments.

wintersun99
September 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Fractalsofhair
September 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I don't think your hair will fall out, but I would suggest ignoring LHC for a little while! There are tons of different books out there! XD

GlassEyes
September 25th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Eh, the experimentation craze wears out a bit in the first few months at LHC...a bit, anyway. xD When I first started, I went crazy, from henna to SMT's to coconut oil. I wouldn't say it was bad for my hair, but it made me obsessive. So while your hair may not fall out, it might be better for your sanity if you pace yourself.

sana junaid
September 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
pateince is the key to sucess :) have pateince try not to mess up your hairs with too many things wait for atleast 1 week for another experiment otherwise your hair will be in a shock condition and fallout

Curlsgirl
September 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
If you really want to do something to it a good moisture treatment hardly ever hurts so that's a good option. Other than that, others suggestions about limiting your time here are good. It is very easy to get obsessed with all of this and also to spend a lot of money! :o BTDT

linda g
September 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Eh, the experimentation craze wears out a bit in the first few months at LHC...a bit, anyway. xD When I first started, I went crazy, from henna to SMT's to coconut oil. I wouldn't say it was bad for my hair, but it made me obsessive. So while your hair may not fall out, it might be better for your sanity if you pace yourself.

Thanks for that reassurance! I have this huge mental "to do" / "to buy" / "to try" list, and I know I can't do them all! :D Good to know I will calm down soon.

Indigosails
September 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Doing too many different and new treatments in a short period of time makes it difficult to see the real results of an individual treatment. Should something have less than desirable results, it is a lot easier to determine what treatment caused it if new ones are added one at a time with a bit of time between them.

Lamb
September 26th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I love this:
"Every now and then, I'll see a post on one of the various long hair care boards on LiveJournal where the poster asks what she can do to help her hair grow, or proposes a new hair care regime to do so.
Almost invariably, the post will include a proposed new regime consisting of thirteen hot oil and deep conditioning treatments, a pound and a half of daily supplements, six leave-ins, various pomades and butters, and about thirty-seven herbal concoctions that each take six parts and must be made at the crossroads under a full Moon."

From the website of Janis Cortese. Sure, her hair is the type that requires very little special treatment (I can't imagine anyone with curly, fine hair follow her routine), but her common sense is commendable.
http://www.io.com/~cortese/hair/routine.html

hmmm
September 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hahaha, Lamb, that made me giggle.

I don't really do a lot of things very often, especially not if I'm doing a henna application that week... You know that feeling you get though, when you're bored, it's like wanting a foot massage, only it's for the hair :P

GlassEyes, yeah, that's what I figured lol.

atina
September 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
i wanted to try everything at once as well :) only problem was can cost a fortune ! lol have discovered my hair just loves jojoba oil tho although having it down for work today was a mistake full of tangles now :o

Fiferstone
September 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I agree with Ursula's standard newbie advice, and one of the things she advocates is take your time between changes in your routine to give yourself a chance to see if it's actually making things better (or worse!). Too many changes all at once, and you won't be able to know what you did, exactly, or what thing it is that worked well (or made your hair unhappy). Give your henna time to oxidize before you do anything else. I've been henna-ing with LUSH henna for 3 years, and I stay with it because the color result is fairly predictable. I followed Ursula's advice when adding oiling and ACV to my routine (change one thing only at a time and give yourself time to assess the results before changing anything else). Can't recommend it enough.

Medievalmaniac
September 26th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Eh, the experimentation craze wears out a bit in the first few months at LHC.So while your hair may not fall out, it might be better for your sanity if you pace yourself.

Hear! Hear! Lord Caswallawn speaks with the voice of reason! :)

selenechiba
September 26th, 2009, 12:07 PM
If you haven't already been here, as far as natural dyes are concerned (alma, indigo, zizyphus spina christi, cassia, henna, buxus dioica), I would highly suggest this forum (http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=viewforum&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS=4) for further information.

dearladydisdain
September 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I think there is a point where you can be TOO obsessed. For me it was when I realized I obsessed over my classic length hair so much it had to be up all the time and I never got to enjoy it (I also have ridiculously tangly hair). It was keeping me from doing things I wanted to do. That's when it gets chopped. :p

Honey39
September 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM
This is a slow journey; I've been hear since June 2007 and am very much a 'newbie' :) I do like reading this site, and do so every day, but I sort of relaxed into finding what suited me and what didn't. My experiments take months to complete - at the moment, I want to see if daily coconut oil on top of leave in conditioner will make a huge difference long-term.

I think there are things that you can also try that aren't experimenting in quite the same way as product; maybe try head massage? I understand wanting to *do* stuff to your hair, but to be honest, my hair has thrived on what I *don't* do (no shampoo, no brush, no hair drier, no straightening irons etc etc!!)

Aries_jb
September 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I was the same way when I first joined. I was doing herb and tea rinses, oiling, stretching washes, etc. The end result was that I ended up feeling like I had really complicated hair that didn't even look any better than when I joined. In fact it looked worse.

So, now I just keep a simple routine. The only thing I experiment with now are conditioners. It just makes me feel better about myself and my hair to know that I don't need to do much to it and it can still look good.

Ultimately, it's going to grow whether you do things to it or not. I think that a lot of us experiment so much as a way to pass the time and eventually we fool ourselves into thinking that it truly makes a huge difference, when really it would have grown anyway.

adiapalic
September 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I love this:
"Every now and then, I'll see a post on one of the various long hair care boards on LiveJournal where the poster asks what she can do to help her hair grow, or proposes a new hair care regime to do so.
Almost invariably, the post will include a proposed new regime consisting of thirteen hot oil and deep conditioning treatments, a pound and a half of daily supplements, six leave-ins, various pomades and butters, and about thirty-seven herbal concoctions that each take six parts and must be made at the crossroads under a full Moon."

From the website of Janis Cortese. Sure, her hair is the type that requires very little special treatment (I can't imagine anyone with curly, fine hair follow her routine), but her common sense is commendable.
http://www.io.com/~cortese/hair/routine.html

Cool website :) I've never heard of this one...

Fractalsofhair
September 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Well, you can get product overload. In terms of moisturizing too much, that is also possible, but very rare,so if anything, just moisturize a lot. A good SLS shampoo will take out the over moisturizing in most cases, and then if all else fails, a protein treatment will. There are some things you should try to do, and that aren't pampering it too much. These are things like not flat ironing, not dying etc, and wearing it up.

Gingevere
September 26th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I went on a buying spree for the first few months after I joined LHC. Every so often, I relapse a little like I did last month! I think I'm going to try to limit my hair purchases to one per month from now on. As far as actual hair treatments go, I know my hair freaks out a little if I do too much at one time. Plus, it's hard to tell how well something works if you're trying a bunch of new stuff at once.

Rapunzal2Be
September 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM
When I first joined I became obsessed very quickly and wanted to do everything all at once!! I had a freak out over using my favorite products (SLS and 'cones in 'em) and was running around trying to buy up everything that was recommended on here (which is A LOT since not everything works for everyone!!).

But then after a month or so I calmed down and fell into my own routine of what was working for me and what wasn't.

Now I still try new things and tweak the system a bit, but my hair is on my mind a lot less now. :)

I do a lot, I think: at night I alternate between monistat and megatek, I use coconut oil overnight on my pony tail a night or two per week before shampoo days, I use hendigo (haven't gotten to my ideal color yet, so when I do I'll be down to just maintenance and using cassia probably), and I use aloe gel every day. But even though that seems like a lot to me, it easily fits into my routine and I don't really think about it, I just do what I feel like doing when I feel like doing it. If I skip something or wash my hair more often sometimes I don't freak. I try to keep my hair up as much as possible, especially when I become unhappy with how it looks (at this length it isn't ideal, I think it will benefit from more length and weight). And yeah, sometimes I love to pamper it and seem to have "something on my head" all of the time - but I just try not to overload or to expect too much too fast from a "miracle cure."

The best thing I've learned from this board is - patience! Months have flown by now when at the very beginning it seemed like days were dragging. When I posted my last progress pictures I was feeling like I hadn't had much growth until I got the feedback from other members and really took a good look at my photos. Months after starting my regrowth regime (Nioxin, vitamins, MN, and Megatek) I am now blessed with a halo of 2-3" hairs all over and I know that a year from now my hair will be noticeably thicker because of what I've been doing. But that took patience and not giving up two weeks into trying something because my hair didn't grow an inch - kwim?

I've been told it more than once on here, and it is for sure true - there is nothing like taking your hair down after a month or two of constantly having it up and being surprised by your growth!!