PDA

View Full Version : "Why short locks Rock"

buttons
April 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
My friend works at Sally's & picked up a hair magazine on her way over here. As soon as I read that title ^, you know I had to look :o

I won't type out the whole article (copyright stuff?) but a few points that got me a little :rolleyes::

"...who doesn't want to look their best throughout the day without becoming a slave to the mirror?"
"All the little time-saving advantages of short add up to one big one-much less stress for you."
"Use a flat iron to make hair go straight, blow it dry for body, or iron curl it for wave. Short hair can be worn down or off your face, too- without the muss and fuss of an updo."
"Unlike super-long locks, short cuts can be sassy, super-edgy or totally feminine."
"(blah blah stuff about short cuts enhancing facial features) There's not much you can do with long hair to get those effects."
"Face it, shorter manes are more professional."
"Guys might think longer locks are sexy, but at the office, that's not the image you want to portray. Oprah, Martha and a few of the world's other most successful women always knew this."
"They make you look younger and more lively."
"If you're hitting 30, long locks drag down your face and make you look dated."

spidermom
April 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Sigh ... dated ole me with my long locks dragging down my face.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/tbb1.jpg

Kittee
April 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM
<snip>
"Guys might think longer locks are sexy, but at the office, that's not the image you want to portray. Oprah, Martha and a few of the world's other most successful women always knew this."

OH pleeeeasee...Just like what I was thinking today..."Boy I sure wish I looked like Martha Stewart."

:rolleyes:

And I'm also offended they used 30 as the age cut off. What the heck. 30 ain't old.

brok3nwings
April 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM
eheheheh the person who wrotte that probably works to a hairdresser ehehe anyway..im not bothered at all that many people can really think like that...what matters to me is how i feel about myself

buttons
April 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM

They have no idea what they're talking about. (Since when is a pixie cut anymore versatile than long hair? That's what the picture on the page was of!)
You & your hair are gorgeous, we need to start us a hair magazine thats pro-long hair :cheese:

ajr
April 18th, 2008, 07:59 PM
:::wolf whistle to spidermom::: why do articles like this always have to use insults to sell their point. They should just print the nice things about short hair and leave the insults out of it.

DotDotDot
April 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I always thought that "locks dragging down your face" made older people look younger.

And, face it, buns are more professional.

buttons
April 18th, 2008, 08:02 PM
:::wolf whistle to spidermom::: why do articles like this always have to use insults to sell their point. They should just print the nice things about short hair and leave the insults out of it.

and that's only a few lines from a one-page article, dissing long-hairs every other sentence :luke:
of course theres a "hair extensions" ad on the next page ;)

beatricedivina
April 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM
That's how they stay in business - this month, short hair is fashionable, so we all need $100 haircuts every six weeks to look right. Next month, our hair will HAVE to be past our shoulders, so we'll need to trot out and pay someone $500 for extensions on top of the $100 haircut....and then it will be boot-camp short because we'll have ruined our hair and we'll have to pay $100 more for special treatments!
And I speak as someone who is almost religious about keeping my hairdresser appointments every ten weeks to get my color done, too.

Jeni
April 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM
"...who doesn't want to look their best throughout the day without becoming a slave to the mirror?"
"All the little time-saving advantages of short add up to one big one-much less stress for you."

Ok so I have had short hair (angled bob), it was certainly not easy to care for! I had to get it cut constantly! And it only looked good if I did something to it, there was no running out the door wet hair, definitely need to be blow dried. Now if I am running late I can take a quick shower and just throw my hair in a bun, wet or dry it looks fine.

I'm not saying short hair is bad, it can be a pretty cute look, but I wouldn't call it a time saving style.

Jeni

spidermom
April 18th, 2008, 08:14 PM

That is so true. When I was in training to sell Mary Kay cosmetics, I was taught NEVER EVER say something negative about another product. It puts people on the defense. So why these yo-yos think they can sell an idea by being so negative is beyond me.

Disclaimer: No yo-yos were hurt in the posting of this message.

Feisty Redhead
April 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM

Those are certainly laughable. (Not that they all aren't!) When I've had my hair shorter, I had to constantly look in the mirror to make sure it still looked good after spending an hour (more or less) trying to get it to look nice and I was rarely happy with how it looked. Now that it's getting longer again, 5 minutes in the morning to decide on an up-do and then actually do it, and I'm out the door. Yeah. Short hair is SO much easier and faster to style. :rolleyes:

But I've never been one to follow fashion trends anyway. I wear what I like and if someone else thinks it's gross or whatever then that's their problem. And frankly... the more folks out there with short hair - the more I'll stand out and be special for my rockin' long locks! So :p to that and all magazines!

:D

capelli lunghi
April 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
None of that makes sense to me at all!.. In fact, most of it is the complete opposite!

"...who doesn't want to look their best throughout the day without becoming a slave to the mirror?" Uhm.. With short hair you need to make sure every single hair is in place.. long hair stays where you put it.
"All the little time-saving advantages of short add up to one big one-much less stress for you." I can get my hair combed and ready in less than a minute and don't have to redo it for the day..
"Use a flat iron to make hair go straight, blow it dry for body, or iron curl it for wave. Short hair can be worn down or off your face, too- without the muss and fuss of an updo." I can make it straight, wavy, or curly.. I can wear it down or off the face, too.. with the ease of an updo.
"Unlike super-long locks, short cuts can be sassy, super-edgy or totally feminine." With a little imagination, long hair can look sassy, super-edgy or totally feminine.. and I can change it any time I want because my hair doesn't have limitation.
"(blah blah stuff about short cuts enhancing facial features) There's not much you can do with long hair to get those effects." There is so much you can do with long hair that it is virtually limitless.
"Face it, shorter manes are more professional." Face it.. short hair or long hair looks professional..
"Guys might think longer locks are sexy, but at the office, that's not the image you want to portray. Oprah, Martha and a few of the world's other most successful women always knew this." Wow.. I never knew Martha or Oprah were who ppl wanted to look like. lol I guess ppl are that shallow that they judge ppl based on hair length instead of personality and work.
"They make you look younger and more lively." Your attitude makes you seem younger or older..
"If you're hitting 30, long locks drag down your face and make you look dated." If you're hitting 30, Awesome! Long hair doesn't drag you down.. Attitudes do! lol

Naluin
April 18th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Is it just me or do these articles come off as trying to convince people with short hair that they've got it good?

I'm also so over claims of what is or is not a professional hairstyle. Perhaps because I've heard that debate about my hair type, too. "Natural hair is unprofessional." "Long hair is unprofessional." Uh, what is unprofessional about a bun, exactly?

And doesn't Oprah have hair that is long by conventional standards now? I could've sworn her hair looked APL/BSL-ish on a few of her magazine covers.

Oh, and yeah, I'm not taking style tips or success tips from Martha Stewart. :rolleyes:

Sillage
April 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Ugh I hate this whole long hair vs. short hair thing :rolleyes:

Kirin
April 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Disclaimer: No yo-yos were hurt in the posting of this message.

Oh good, Since I'm a yo yo I'm glad I dont have to go hide out!

"though men think long hair is sexy..........".

Thats right, lets tell all men they have no right to like what they like, lets give 'em chicks with men's haircuts! That'll rev their engines!

no offense to the short of hair, i've had short hair too, but it never failed my notice that every time I cut my hair short the "desert of the day" that caught men's eyes in the media had long hair.

Lizbot
April 18th, 2008, 08:30 PM
OH pleeeeasee...Just like what I was thinking today..."Boy I sure wish I looked like Martha Stewart."

Bwahahah! It's a good thing.

meichigo
April 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
It's amazing how there are absolutely no true statements among those you quoted! Could it be that that article is full of BS? Why, yes, I do believe it may be so.

Nat242
April 18th, 2008, 08:41 PM

Me too. It is just hair, after all.

Short hair has it's perks, and I really enjoyed my pixie cut for a long time. They don't need to insult people with other hair-length preferences to make short hair seem better. Short hair is great, but not for everyone. Long hair is great, but not for everyone.

It's not a war. :luke:

-- Natalie

P.S. I had to use the Star Wars emoticons, I've never used them before ;)

Nat242
April 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Also, Spidermom, you and your face-dragging long locks are simply stunning :thud:

-- Natalie

Rebelkat
April 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
"though men think long hair is sexy..........".

Thats right, lets tell all men they have no right to like what they like, lets give 'em chicks with men's haircuts! That'll rev their engines!

:spitting:EXACTLY! Couldn't have said it better myself.

DecafJane
April 18th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Yep, Oprah now has long hair (from what I have seen) - almost BSL WITH her curls in place. I wish they would stop trotting out tired old stereotypes to sound current and exciting. :P

terriej
April 18th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I don't think that sexy is dependent on hair length.

Lamb
April 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM
"Use a flat iron to make hair go straight, blow it dry for body, or iron curl it for wave.

Talk about time saving... :rolleyes:

chrissy-b
April 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM

shorter manes are more professional? where do they get this? or is this the new rule they just made up?

and how many of us are growing out hair because of what guys may or may not find sexy? where do they get this data? most of the guys i know think short hair is sexier. and what? if we don't have short hair we won't be successful? martha and oprah got where they are because they're hard-working, intelligent ladies, not because of their hair styles.

about three years ago i cut my BSL hair into a pixie style and everyone said it made me look older. i didn't care because i love my hair at all lengths but it just proves that their theory doesn't work for everyone.

the saddest thing about this article is that some people are so insecure that they're actually going to buy this crap, cut their hair and then in the fall, they'll have to get extensions, in the winter it'll be a black bob, and in the spring it'll be blonde highlights. keep the cycle going so we feel bad about ourselves if we don't fit the mold, and then spend loads of cash trying to be what the marketers say we should be.

argh! so lame...a fight club quote comes to mind: "You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f--king khakis."

Unbridled4
April 18th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I'm just hoping that in another ten years, my face will be dragged clear down to my knees. So there. :p

BrianaFineHair
April 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM
You know what? Short hair DOES rock for some women. Long hair DOES rock for some women. Let the woman decide - not the mags, NOT THE MEN.

What's the big deal? Come one, ladies, you should not let hair length come between you and other women. Throwing insults to ladies with short hair about how they have no sex appeal with their "manly hair cuts" - I find offensive and rude.

prosperina
April 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm just hoping that in another ten years, my face will be dragged clear down to my knees. So there. :p

LMAO. :D :lol:

I was thinking something similar. Also, I can only hope that my face will be near "as dragged down" by long hair as spidermom's. With your long hair, spidermom, you look so young and fresh--not old at all. (not to imply that you are old, of course.)

sowhat
April 18th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I had a pretty simple policy when thinking about my past gf's hair. As long as they are happy, I don't care. If that short/long cut gives you self confidence, keep it up because all that matters is how you feel. Self confidence is sexy.

Just my 2 cents.

wintersun99
April 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM

BrianaFineHair
April 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I had a pretty simple policy when thinking about my past gf's hair. As long as they are happy, I don't care. If that short/long cut gives you self confidence, keep it up because all that matters is how you feel. Self confidence is sexy.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you very much! ;) My husband echos the same opinion. He used to tell me that my neck was very kissable and easily accessable when I had my pixie. :D Well, now that I'm growing it out, he'll have to work a little harder!

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM

Wow Spidermom, you do not look dated, you look very young and pretty, what nice skin you have too!Perfect example of Why Long Cuts Rock!

All I have to say about that Mag. Is , Rubbish!

CurlyOne
April 18th, 2008, 10:52 PM
The one thing that really stuns me about all of it is that a large majority of actresses/models all have long hair and you very frequently read articles about "How to achieve that Liv Tyler look!" :confused: With all that you would think that more women would have long hair. But apparently regular "civilians" all need a short hair cut.

I'm getting mixed messages!:p

Xanthippe
April 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM
<snip>

Yes, because Martha and Oprah save so much time with their short hair.

By getting a team of stylists maybe. :rolleyes:

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM

Just my 2 cents.

Nicely said. Im tired of hearing all this judging on short hair/long hair dyed/bleached. Hair is hair it grows, it grays, if we like long hair good for us, some people equally like short hair, good for them.

But really. Short hair never saved me time. And looking like Martha Steward has never been a goal of mine;)

KiwiLiz
April 18th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I HAVE to cut my hair at 30 do I?

Well that leaves me a good 10 years to keep growing my hair into a 230 cm/90 inch long braid that I can attach nunchucks to, with which to beat the people that tell me now that I'm 30 I really should cut my hair.

Murhaha

sapphire-o
April 19th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I just read an article in a magazine today about chin length being the magical length that makes everybody beautiful. I don't know. I see loads of people with chin length hair everyday, the only ones who look great (to me) are young boys under 12 with bright eyes and rosy cheeks. :)

What's wrong about looking old? Everybody's getting older all the time. Why are we required to want to look young?

Nevermore
April 19th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I hate articles like this.

aney
April 19th, 2008, 04:22 AM
oh come on I have short hair now and it's definetely hard work to style it! If I want it to look good I have to blow dry it and/or use a flat-iron... whereas when I has long hair I'd just wash it and let it air dry and it looked great!

florenonite
April 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM
What bothers me about this is that it's bashing long hair and trying to make people conform. If it was just listing true advantages to short hair, fine, I'd just flip over it when I read it, but the fact that it feels the need to insult long hair in order to get its point across.

Les
April 19th, 2008, 05:54 AM

Yeah right. When I had short hair it took a lot more work to keep under control. With it long gravity is now my ally. I can also put it up quickly and it won't be sticking out in a million crazy directions on its own.

lora410
April 19th, 2008, 06:25 AM
WHATEVER!!! Shorter hair always made me look alot older and was more of a pain to make it look pretty!!!!

lora410
April 19th, 2008, 06:28 AM

you look beautiful with long hair, btw I love your new sig pict :flower:

Shanarana
April 19th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Oh, that makes me so mad............after 30? I'm 44, take a look at my profile, do I look dragged down? I get more compliments on my hair now than I ever did in my life. Men will come up to me and tell me how much they like my hair.........yeah, I think I'll cut it, being single I want to make sure I do all I can to attract the opposite sex.

ETA: Not that having long hair is the only thing to attract a man, but it makes them take a second look perhaps. I don't want to blend in with a crowd of women.

xrosiex
April 19th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I'm have to agree with you Sillage......................

AmandaPanda
April 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Yeah, that article totally makes me what to cut my hair NOW!

willowcandra
April 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I would like to see articles that encourage women to wear their hair however it makes them feel confident. What works for one is tragic for another.

Look at people like catherine zeta jones , her hair and clothes are never "in fashion" and yet she always looks good.

I am going to be thirty in two years....ummm cut my hair? NO.
I wonder if anyone will ever tell me my hair drags me down.
I think if they did this might ensue..:lala:

Elfling
April 19th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Thank god I have an awesome hairdresser who understands long hair.

florenonite
April 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I would like to see articles that encourage women to wear their hair however it makes them feel confident. What works for one is tragic for another.

Hear, hear! I never follow fashions as I think they're a waste of money and are often unflattering. I wear what I want (which is generally somewhat in style, I will admit, partly because I like the way it looks and partly out of fear of looking daft, but I tend to stick to things that will last for years rather than something that will be out of fashion within six months) and that includes my hair.

Oscar Wilde apparently once said 'Fashion is ugliness so intolerable that we must alter it every six months'. It's times like this that I really love that man:D (he was also an awesome playwright/author, of course)

Teacherbear
April 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Well some women may want to look "dated" - or taken/attached. :shrug:

roflmao . . . I know that's not what they meant, but that is how I read it at first!

walkinglady
April 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Well I can't speak for everyone but I look horrible in short hair. Long legs, long body, long arms, long hair. Short hair makes my head look awkward compaired to my stature. Not only that, I think I look like a man when it's short. I know ladies with short hair that look great, I also know a few who could use a little length. I don't tell them to grow, so far, they don't tell me to cut. Let's hope they never start or I'll have to sick LHC on them!

ItalianFlower
April 19th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Hum...as a life long short hair girl (chin length every summer), for me it was actually much easier to take care of. My hair doesn't curl until past my chin, so it was this mass of soft, stright hair. However, short hair is possibly the most boring hair style ever invented. ^_^ I don't care what they say; no matter what you do, it looks the same. Bobby pin, down, bobby pin, down. And! A good majority of old women cut their hair very short--I hope you guys know the style I'm talking about--and I think that cut makes people look MUCH older than they really are.

Cricket
April 19th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I've had super short hair. I loved my super short hair.

I have long hair. I looove my long hair.

I think it all depending on what you feel like and where you are in your life.

As for the whole sexy short haired look, once my hair was long enough that I could bun it to go along with the business/librarian look I got a lot of positive attention from everyone.

jojo
April 19th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I look older with short hair and as for long hair dragging features down, short hair exaggerates the flaws in my case being a large nose. As for cutting my hair, never I set trends not follow them!!!

Short hair does look good on some people but for me its a big no, no!

Patrycja
April 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
a straight iron??

From past experience-that took way more time than a simple 10 second updo.And,I agree with others-buns look more professional.

I had a chin bob for a very long time and my face looked fat.I'm a bit overweight so having long hair making my face look thinner is better than a time consuming bob.

Delila
April 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Well some women may want to look "dated" - or taken/attached. :shrug:

roflmao . . . I know that's not what they meant, but that is how I read it at first!

Very funny, and oh, so true. :)

All I know is that my own experiences with short hair were unsatisfying, frequently frustrating, expensive and hugely time consuming.

The thing that annoys me about all this is that the entire fashion industry seems to be geared to keep people dissatisfied and insecure with their sense of style.

Confidence is very appealing, probably more than anything else, so why rob your customers of it in the course of doing business? Makes no sense at all to me.

CryssieWillow
April 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Blah blah blah
What a load of nonsense...:rolleyes:
My beautiful steely grey mum has her hair now between shoulder and APL after having it short for the last 30 years.
She is so pretty!
I cannot wait until I am 30 and my hair is long enough to look unprofessional. :p

Lady Godiva
April 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
My friend works at Sally's & picked up a hair magazine on her way over here. As soon as I read that title ^, you know I had to look :o

:snip:

"Use a flat iron to make hair go straight, blow it dry for body, or iron curl it for wave. Short hair can be worn down or off your face, too- without the muss and fuss of an updo."
It strikes me as peculiar to see the word "updo" used. I never see it apart from longhair web sites or hear it except when used by longhaired people. I freely admit to never reading fashion and beauty magazines, though. :o Still, I am left wondering if the writer peruses this web forum, especially considering the use of an offensive tactic that has a defensive, negative attitude. We are a rather strong, indefatigable bunch here, so convinced in the rightness of being tolerant and sporting our live-and-let live attitude. Conversion does that, I guess. ;)

Yay, us! :cheese:

buttons
April 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM
It strikes me as peculiar to see the word "updo" used. I never see it apart from longhair web sites or hear it except when used by longhaired people. I freely admit to never reading fashion and beauty magazines, though. :o Still, I am left wondering if the writer peruses this web forum, especially considering the use of an offensive tactic that has a defensive, negative attitude. We are a rather strong, indefatigable bunch here, so convinced in the rightness of being tolerant and sporting our live-and-let live attitude. Conversion does that, I guess. ;)

Yay, us! :cheese:

I see "updo" used a lot, but then again I read way too many magazines :o for someone who isn't very fashionable...I read about it way too much.

(The quoted post confused me a little, but It might just be that I'm still half-asleep. ;))

busnutmedic
April 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Augh...I just was looking at some "fashion do's and don'ts" at Glamour.com and it made me so irked to see a lady with long hair totally chewed out as a don't. At that point, I thought "What am I doing even looking at the opinions of those who are chewing out perfectly decent people for being (supposedly) "out of style."

Bonnie

buttons
April 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Augh...I just was looking at some "fashion do's and don'ts" at Glamour.com and it made me so irked to see a lady with long hair totally chewed out as a don't. At that point, I thought "What am I doing even looking at the opinions of those who are chewing out perfectly decent people for being (supposedly) "out of style."

Bonnie

That reminds me of this fashion website that has a photographer walk around on the street, taking "oh no she didn't" pictures of women from the back (because they obviously don't ask for the persons permission). They post the pictures online and then people comment the picture bashing her for whatever she's wearing that makes it a "fashion don't."
Never fails to irk me.

Saoirse
April 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Read, vomit, brush off, move on.

Nevermore
April 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Confidence is very appealing, probably more than anything else, so why rob your customers of it in the course of doing business? Makes no sense at all to me.

Confident people are hard to sell things to. If you put a confident person and an insecure one in the same room and tell them both that short hair will make them more attractive/professional-looking/intelligent-looking/sexier, the confident person will evaluate that statement and either decide to get short hair based on their personal feelings about it or decide not to and once they choose, dissing them/their opinion/their decision will only earn you a very irritated customer.

The insecure person, on the other hand, tends to believe that they require something else (be that alcohol, short hair, weight loss/gain, plastic surgery, make up, new clothes or pretty much anything else) to be a confident, happy, successful person, so they're much more likely to buy whatever it is that you're selling. And buy again, when they're not magically happy after that bob.

Keeping people perpetually dissatisfied with some aspect of their body, life or personality means that they're going to spend more money. The people who want to sell us clothing/haircuts/make up/other fashion-y things* don't care much about our self esteem, just about their bottom line.

*there are some people and companies that do, but they're few and far between.

WritingPrincess
April 19th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Oh, you look beautiful. I love that picture.

Disclaimer: No yo-yos were hurt in the posting of this message.:lol:

Is it just me or do these articles come off as trying to convince people with short hair that they've got it good?

I'm also so over claims of what is or is not a professional hairstyle. Perhaps because I've heard that debate about my hair type, too. "Natural hair is unprofessional." "Long hair is unprofessional." Uh, what is unprofessional about a bun, exactly?

And doesn't Oprah have hair that is long by conventional standards now? I could've sworn her hair looked APL/BSL-ish on a few of her magazine covers.

Oh, and yeah, I'm not taking style tips or success tips from Martha Stewart. :rolleyes:
I think a bun is way more professional than a short cut. I always think that short cuts look like they're trying to look younger, but are failing miserably.

I'm hoping that too, and that my face will be dragged down even further, like maybe to my ankles. :p

Yes, because Martha and Oprah save so much time with their short hair.

By getting a team of stylists maybe. :rolleyes:
Exactly.

Oh, that makes me so mad............after 30? I'm 44, take a look at my profile, do I look dragged down? You look so dragged down--to a younger age, that is! :p

What's wrong about looking old? Everybody's getting older all the time. Why are we required to want to look young?
I think it's sad how our culture reveres youth so much. I think that age should have respect, because of all the wisdom that (often) comes from life experience.
Food for thought: If we (at TLHC) say that long hair makes one look younger, doesn't that imply that we associate long hair with youth?

Nevermore
April 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
WritingPrincess: That's an interesting point about LHC, long hair and youth. The association might be a bit more complicated though, I think some of us at LHC see long hair as being ourselves, instead of what the magazines say our age group should be. Thus, long hair doesn't equate to youth, but to maintaining our uniqueness instead of adopting the "over 30, you're too old for long hair" idea along with the short hair our society pushes on people of certain ages. It's not quite the same thing as saying that long hair is only ok on unwrinkled, sag-free, young people, which is what the magazines are implying.

WritingPrincess
April 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I get what you're saying, but I don't know if you quite understood what I was saying. I was referring to the times when someone who isn't very young and wrinkle-free posts a picture of themselves and everyone says that the long hair makes them look younger. But, yes, I know exactly what you mean by not wanting to fit in with the crowd and with the long hair being me.

Blueglass
April 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm 37, and yesterday, some told me I looked 20! I really like Oprah style these days, much better then those corporate style she used to have. Who dreams of the corporate lady that works in "the bank office" Who wants to be "the corperate lady who works in the bank office". No one really wants this.

freznow
April 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I get what you're saying, but I don't know if you quite understood what I was saying. I was referring to the times when someone who isn't very young and wrinkle-free posts a picture of themselves and everyone says that the long hair makes them look younger. But, yes, I know exactly what you mean by not wanting to fit in with the crowd and with the long hair being me.

I've been thinking about the whole young/longhair/etc thing, and what I think is this: Yes, long hair is associated with youth, whether on LHC or the general public (as a rule, there will always be exceptions). But young is a 'new' word for good. The whole idea of being young is so revered, that it has taken on a different meaning so that it is merely a compliment ('old' being the anticompliment) and does not really denote much of age. So I think that saying "Long hair makes you look younger" is really just saying "Long hair makes you look better", which may not seem a whole lot different with the modern connotations, but they would be different 'way back when'.

I can't wait to be old with long grey hair, but at the same time I wish elders were treated with more respect. But they can't have that if they don't earn it right? Some elders think that their age automatically gives them the right to respect, and that's what makes the young'uns not respect the ones with wisdom. Like some nosy/obnoxious elderly person will tell someone to "Grow up and cut your hair" (taking a recent LHC example). Then the person who received this comment is instructed to ignore it because "Those old people think they know everything." blah blah blah. So yeah, that person may not be worth listening to, but there are tons of ones who are. It's just... complicated; the whole situation is influenced by so many factors, but I just really don't like the whole thing. Though I can't say I dislike that now one has to earn respect instead of it automatically being granted because of age. Though the automatic system seemed to be worth its salt too, because if you didn't live up to the given respect, it often wouldn't work out in the end...

As for the original post, I don't agree with a single one of those. But bah, I'm just glad I'm not of the same mindset of the person who wrote that article, I don't know how I'd survive!

intothemist1999
April 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM

And I'm also offended they used 30 as the age cut off. What the heck. 30 ain't old.

And neither is 95 when it comes to hair! :D

I've seen "older" ladies cut their hair to the usual short styles (and I'll even leave poodle-do's out of it), modern and coiffed. I've ALWAYS though they loooked "younger" with long hair.

flapjack
April 19th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I look younger with longer hair, as does my mother. Granted, I'm 22 and have a baby face, anyway. But ignore that part. My mom looks younger with her hair to the middle of her back than she did when it was at her chin.

And I need long hair for my ballet, anyway. Something about a bun is really classy and pretty, I think. I would be mad if my hair wasn't long enough to put in a decent sized bun.

Nevermore
April 20th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Ahh. I'm sorry, I didn't quite get you the first time around, thanks for clarifying (and be sure to condition afterwards! I've been around here too long...).

n3m3sis42
April 20th, 2008, 07:20 AM
While I don't like the way that fashion magazines make out long hair to be unfashionable or impractical (except for the random 3 months out of every third year when it's suddenly "in" and I always wonder how people manage to have their hair long at JUST the right moment), I also don't like the backlash against shorthairs so much either.

I personally think short hair looks ADORABLE on some people. I love long hair, and it's beautiful, sexy, and feminine. But on many people, so is short hair. And I have no doubt that for SOME people, short hair is easier and less time-consuming. I am not one of those people, as my hair never seems to want to behave in shorter styles. But to me, it's sort of like when people who don't wear makeup assume that women who wear a full face of makeup complete with very "done" eyeshadow spend hours each time they do it. I always assumed that until I started trying to learn how to apply more complex eyeshadow "looks". In reality, after some practice, it took me only about 15-20 minutes to do a full-face "look". I still choose not to wear makeup most of the time. But my point is that some women with short hair probably do only spend 15 minutes or so styling it because they've learned how to do it quickly.

Are the things that you have to do to style shorter 'dos "healthy" for the hair? Probably not, but it's SHORT, so does it really matter? If they want to grow it out long later, there's not that much damaged hair to grow out anyway. If it makes them happy, then whatever.

Personally, I love having longer hair, but I don't think that means that women who don't are less feminine or necessarily succumbing to pressure from fashion magazines. Maybe it's just what works for them. :)

florenonite
April 20th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Read, vomit, brush off, move on.

:spitting:Well said!

intothemist1999
April 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
The beauty of being over 30? Well, the beauty of being a responsible ADULT, really....

I CAN DO WHATEVER THE HECK I FEEL LIKE!! :D

If I ever get that "you know, when you're over 30..." line in person, I'll hope to be fast enough to cut them to insert MY half of the statement! :)

And maybe I'll add, "even if it drags my face down!" ....just to be difficult :D

harpgal
April 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM
What a relief to not be hitting 30! LOL!

spidermom
April 20th, 2008, 12:59 PM
What a relief to not be hitting 30! LOL!

Now that's funny.

I agree with BrianaFineHair and others - we really have no business bashing short hair just because we don't choose it for ourselves.

intothemist1999
April 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Fashion magazines, columnists, etc, are all part of the machine. They have to keep the hair stylists employed..and vice versa. They have to keep making up new rules in order to keep each other in knickers, and to relieve the general population of their hard-earned cash.

I'll cut the long-hair friendly stylists some slack :)

ETA: and yes, I DO believe either long or short is fine, and up to the individual. It's when people with a vested interest (read, $$$) try to put pressure on that it makes me livid!

Pegasus Marsters
April 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Hay, so if long hair makes you look younger and short hair makes you look old does that mean I looked 12 when it was long and look 22 now it's short?

Pegasus Marsters
April 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I agree with BrianaFineHair and others - we really have no business bashing short hair just because we don't choose it for ourselves.

That's a nice change of tune on these boards.

Maybe people want to remember that some members have decided to go short but were asked to stick around despite this?

But my point is that some women with short hair probably do only spend 15 minutes or so styling it because they've learned how to do it quickly.

Hell, 15 minutes? I use a round brush, run it through my hair and flick the ends out with it before I head out of the house. This takes hmm... maybe 30 seconds to a minute? If I decide to make a fuss of it!

And yet when it was long I would spend atleast a half hour detangling every day (whether I had to do it before I left the house, or when I was on the train... or even at college) and that's just IN THE MORNING. Then I'd have to do the same in the evening when I got home, and again before bed. So that's an hour and a half of detangling per day... on the condition I wore braids or a bun. You don't even wanna know how long it took me to detangle if I wore it loose.

prosperina
April 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Good post, n3m3sis42. I hate when people make assumptions about make up or hair. The worst one I've heard (on these boards no less) is that someone coloring her hair or wearing makeup is "uncomfortable and dissatisfied with her truth self" and hiding "from her true self" because she's let the fashion/beauty industry make her feel bad or because she feels compelled to change. No doubt some women feel that way, but most intelligent adult women I know are not so silly. :)

And, on some people short hair looks totally sexy. I'm not one of them.

Bellatrix
April 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I tend to dislike all articles/magazines/books that attempt to dictate personal aesthetics. Let people style themselves as they will.

Minx
April 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I had pixie locks for a long time and I spent about the same amount of time (if not more) on styling my hair back then than I do now.

Although I do obsess more about it now lol.

n3m3sis42
April 20th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hell, 15 minutes? I use a round brush, run it through my hair and flick the ends out with it before I head out of the house. This takes hmm... maybe 30 seconds to a minute? If I decide to make a fuss of it!

I was thinking 15 minutes for people with short styles that have to blow-dry to keep their hair looking cute. Because for some shorter styles with some hair types, that's a necessity. It's awesome that for you, it's not.

Props to you for finding something that works well for you! :D

Good post, n3m3sis42. I hate when people make assumptions about make up or hair. The worst one I've heard (on these boards no less) is that someone coloring her hair or wearing makeup is "uncomfortable and dissatisfied with her truth self" and hiding "from her true self" because she's let the fashion/beauty industry make her feel bad or because she feels compelled to change. No doubt some women feel that way, but most intelligent adult women I know are not so silly. :)

Thanks, prosperina! It bothers me when people make those sorts of assumptions, too. I don't wear makeup probably 95&#37; of the time. Like, none at all. When I do wear it, I like to wear stuff that is a little over the top. It's okay with me if people don't like the way that it looks on me, but it always bugs me when people say things like, "You don't need to wear so much makeup!" I know that I don't "need" to, but it's fun for me sometimes. :)

GlennaGirl
April 20th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm not worried. At my age, my face can't get any lower.

Poolsoflaughter
April 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Har har! :p These "trendy" things are so funny. Ah, well! ;)

Pegasus Marsters
April 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm not worried. At my age, my face can't get any lower.

Oh my... I love you. :spitting:

GlennaGirl
April 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Oh my... I love you. :spitting:

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!! Does that mean I can be one of your wives too, Pegs?

Pegasus Marsters
April 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Woo hoo!!!!!!!!! Does that mean I can be one of your wives too, Pegs?

But of course! Marry me!

(Is this a bad time to confess that I've actually lost count of the wives?!)

PatGear
April 20th, 2008, 08:00 PM
(Is this a bad time to confess that I've actually lost count of the wives?!)I think I was the last one before you took it off your sig....I was #123.

But I could be wrong. I was MIA for a while before the old LHC went down.

WritingPrincess
April 20th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Yes, it is a bad time. :lol: Just make up a number!

Pegasus Marsters
April 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I think I'm in the 150-somethings now. Atleast... I think that's what I got to after some very drunken proposals at a new years party. Errr... dang. I think Lixie was the most recent and she was 157. Making GlennaGirl 158! (phew, someone keep count of this for me!)

GlennaGirl
April 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I think I'm in the 150-somethings now. Atleast... I think that's what I got to after some very drunken proposals at a new years party. Errr... dang. I think Lixie was the most recent and she was 157. Making GlennaGirl 158! (phew, someone keep count of this for me!)

Ha ha! We'll have to start calling you The Sheik of LHC.

DaveDecker
April 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Those whose monetary interests are vested in frequent fashion changes may be unlikely to support your pursuit of self-actualization.

For the woman who wrote the article mentioned by the OP, it would seem that the feminist principle of career success has subverted the feminist principle to support other women. "Enlightenment be damned, show me the money?" Well, it does put food on the table.

History is replete with examples of industries whose time has come and gone. I can think of another that is ready for the glue factory.

PatGear
April 20th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Ah! I should have known you'd still get proposals even without that line in your sig. You're just too irresistible, Pegs. :smooch:

Eirinn
April 21st, 2008, 03:59 AM
Let's face it: short hair is not *professional* - it's boring, everyone around has short hair. Besides, what can they do with it? NOTHING, it can just hang down thier face looking the same every day. Horror!!!

Another thing is that short hair is sooo impersonal, it says about its owner nothing but: "Look I don't have a curage to be myself!"

And YES, long hair IS sexy - always was and always will be:D And guys know it:p

Remember that they'd write things like that in hair magazines till world"s ending, simply because hair business earns on short hair - not long!

I'm disgusted anyway

Sillage
April 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'm disgusted too, Eirinn but for a different reason. :rolleyes:

Delenn
April 21st, 2008, 08:19 AM
I'm 37, and yesterday, some told me I looked 20!

I get this all of the time, too. Living in a college town I'm often confused for a student.

As for the "elaborate updos", well, my morning routine consists of 1) braid, 2) wrap, 3) spear with a stick, 4) spear with another stick. Done! Yea, that took me longer than it takes to blowdry and flatiron. When I had short hair I spent easily 45 min just on my hair each and every morning because I had to wash it each and every day due to all of the hair products I used.

That said, I really hate the long vs short debate. I can't say with 100% certainty I'll never have short hair again in my life, but for right now it's quite long. But I won't change it because some magazine tells me that I need to cut it.

Eireann
April 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM
I loved my pixie cut. The biggest problem was that for it to look right, I literally had to have it cut every 4 weeks. How is that low maintenance? I like the way I look with very short hair, and I like the way I look with long hair, it's the in between that I hate (on me anyway--it looks cute on other people). Unfortunately, it's a whole lot easier to go from long to short than it is to go from short to long. Still, sometimes I see someone with a super cute pixie cut, and I really have to fight the urge to chop. It helps to focus on how LOOOOONG it takes to grow back (and the fact that it would probably break my DH's heart!)

wintersun99
April 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
Let's face it: short hair is not *professional* - it's boring, everyone around has short hair. Besides, what can they do with it? NOTHING, it can just hang down thier face looking the same every day. Horror!!!

Another thing is that short hair is sooo impersonal, it says about its owner nothing but: "Look I don't have a curage to be myself!"

... what about personal choice and freedom of expression? Bash the media and fashion industry for setting standards of beauty no problem, but to assume that short hair says about it's owner that they don't have the courage to be themselves is tactless (to say the least) the same arguments have been made about long hair. Aren't we all asking for the same considerations? To be ourselves as "we" define ouselves? Easy on the hasty judgements...

Eirinn
April 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Huh, misunderstanding! I really only meant their way of thinking and how it effects on society, not short hair *in general* I guess I've expressed it in bad way. So sorry, didn't want to offend anyone:lipssealed:

wintersun99
April 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM
no offense taken (at least not by me) just wanted to point out the one-sided "tone" of the post ... I think people feel like "themselves" with hair cut a certain way, I certainly don't feel like "me" with hair above SL and I certainly felt much more like "me" w/hair at APL and although it hasn't been longer (as an adult) I believe I will be even more "me" when it grows to MBL. Having said that, there are others who feel at home with and like themselves w/short hair (and on some, it is very very very cute) unfortunately (or fortunately) I am not one of those people, either :)

However, I applaud those who are brave enough, or through mishaps, who have had the opportunity to live both "ends" of the spectrum as it goes a long way toward finding what you're at peace with... anyway, Cheers

Eirinn
April 21st, 2008, 09:54 AM
This is what I reather wanted to say: there are a lot of people who like long or just longer hair and would have it but media told them (like through this article), that only short are attractive and *profesional* and long are just the opposite. So they don't have courage to grow it. I've got so emotional on this, I have to pay more attention to what I write:doh:

ladystar
April 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
They have no idea what they're talking about. (Since when is a pixie cut anymore versatile than long hair? That's what the picture on the page was of!)
You & your hair are gorgeous, we need to start us a hair magazine thats pro-long hair :cheese:

That's a great Idea
:happydance:

fleurdelis
April 21st, 2008, 05:09 PM
Hmm, my opinion is that there are many "yeah...and, same for long hair" sentences in this article. For me personaly I now prefer long hair, and this is really going to persude me to cut them..But on other hand it might be right for other people and if they feel better in short hair, I think that is fine. I think that best is to have a hairstyle that YOU picked, that suits YOU or that just YOU feel confortable in, without anybody telling you that you need short or long hair.

ole gray mare
April 21st, 2008, 06:21 PM

Is this an actual sentence? :p

Valorie
April 21st, 2008, 07:22 PM
A lot of that is just silly marketing targeting a certain age group. I suppose it can work to the advantage of stylists/fashion industry making money. I would pose the question, however, if you don't really want to cut your hair are you just because some magazine article says you should? I wouldn't. I doubt a lot of people would and I'm not really one to hand out credit for self actualization to the masses! But I just don't think people are seriously that pliable. Maybe I am being naive?
I think the tactic used in the article is stupid and sad. I'm here at LHC to grow long hair and I'm past their age marker. I don't care. "They" can't define me or anyone else for that matter.

But also in addition to that and wanting to grow my hair, I happen to like a variety of personal fashion choices on different individuals.
I never develop any affinity for someone on a personal level based on the length of their hair (aside for coming here and having hair idols or something!:wannabe:. It's kinda sad to think someone would have seen me with short hair and think I'm boring based on that alone. But, if that is the case it really is not my issue. :drama:)
This is the LHC, so obviously there is a preference for longer hair. But I love the short haired people out in the world too!:love:
( I think I'm still one of'em technically right now! lol :shrug:)

BrianaFineHair
April 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM

And YES, long hair IS sexy - always was and always will be:D And guys know it:p

EXCUSE ME? You do not know me or every woman in the world that has short hair to say such a thing. :mad

AND you do not know my sex life either and it's been very full and very enjoyable - even though I've sported pixie for many, many years.

If you have a desire to bash, then do so towards the writers of these articles.

ETA: I just read the rest of the thread. I had stopped after reading your first post. I'm glad to see you changed the tone. Just keep in mind, there are women here that are trying to grow out their hair.

Lamb
April 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
I seriously dislike statements like "long hair is sexy" or "short hair is sassy/sexy". It is not the hair/the dress/the jewellery/the manner that is "sexy," but the woman who wears it.
Ever read "Bernice Bobs her Hair" by F. Scott Fitzgerald? Do. My favorite story about what happens when an individual assumes "sexy" things that are not her own. (I love the ending, though... :D)

BrianaFineHair
April 21st, 2008, 07:50 PM
That article was written by people in the business, you know? It was not written by women everywhere with short hair. I say shame on them - the industry, for trying to get women to do things with their hair that they are simply not comfortable with.

Goodness, our hair is very personal to us.

sweetkandi
April 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM
I hate how people always say short cuts are so simple to manage, and hassel free. They are SO NOT!!!! You always have to style it for it to look good, and not like you rolled out of bed. When I had long hair, it was so hassel free. :) I could just get outta bed and put in an updo if i had a bad hairday. Also, long hair seems to be more "put" than my short hair. Sometimes, it will just go every which way lol.

Valorie
April 21st, 2008, 08:03 PM
BrianaFineHair,

I have to agree a lot with you and your previous posts. I mean, I really don't like to generalize a whole group of people like that based on something very surface.

I too have been a (very) short hair mostly, even have had the shaved head a couple times, and I know I've suffered no loss in my love life or my courageousness( and boy do I have that) over my hair or lack thereof, :p and actually got asked on more dates then but I really think it had to do with the fact that I did have confidence independent upon outside appearances.

For every type of person there are people who love them.
And for every type of self expression, there is another way, not just one way.:)

BrianaFineHair
April 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM
BrianaFineHair,
For every type of person there are people who love them.
And for every type of self expression, there is another way, not just one way.:)

Valorie, I really like that. ;) It's SO true.

wintersun99
April 21st, 2008, 09:25 PM
I hate how people always say short cuts are so simple to manage, and hassel free. They are SO NOT!!!! You always have to style it for it to look good, and not like you rolled out of bed. When I had long hair, it was so hassel free. :) I could just get outta bed and put in an updo if i had a bad hairday. Also, long hair seems to be more "put" than my short hair. Sometimes, it will just go every which way lol.

me too! wholeheartedly agree... can't wait to get back to the stage of "just rolling out of bed and putting the hair up" *sigh*

trolleypup
April 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
"Unlike super-long locks, short cuts can be sassy, super-edgy or totally feminine."
Those are definitely some looks I am after. Although, I can do the edgy thing if I grow my beard out...super-edgy, just not in a good way (aka Charles Manson) :misskim:

"Guys might think longer locks are sexy..."I might, huh?! Thank you for allowing me an opinion! Actually, while I find long hair attractive, and I like it, sexy comes from inside, not from the hair (YMMV!)...buzz cuts feel pretty nice too...but then I like textures.

"If you're hitting 30, long locks drag down your face and make you look dated."For sure, at 42 I must look like a Neapolitan Mastiff (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/Neapolitan_Mastiff_Male_Head.JPG) then, with my hair all dragging me down.

Eirinn
April 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
BrianaFineHair: I would never dare to say anything about anybody's sex life especially judging by their hair! And that was not what I meant by *sexy* (actually I'd never thought that it could be taken so) My personal opinion about long hair being attractive will remain unaltered, though. I've already apologized so now you really got me down

BrianaFineHair
April 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
BrianaFineHair: I would never dare to say anything about anybody's sex life especially judging by their hair! And that was not what I meant by *sexy* (actually I'd never thought that it could be taken so) My personal opinion about long hair being attractive will remain unaltered, though. I've already apologized so now you really got me down

Your first post - that is what I was responding to and I responded to it without reading the rest of the thread. Once I did read the rest of the thread I noticed you changed the tone. I went back to "ETA" my reply to you and made mention of it. You obviously stated that you were misunderstood, and I accept that.

I feel long hair is attractive too...as well as short. Not trying to change anyone's opinions, Eirinn. I'm here for information, encouragement, and inspiration - not to be personally offended. That was my reaction to your first post. I now accept that you were misunderstood.

It's all good ;)

Eirinn
April 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
Your first post - that is what I was responding to and I responded to it without reading the rest of the thread. Once I did read the rest of the thread I noticed you changed the tone. I went back to "ETA" my reply to you and made mention of it. You obviously stated that you were misunderstood, and I accept that.

I feel long hair is attractive too...as well as short. Not trying to change anyone's opinions, Eirinn. I'm here for information, encouragement, and inspiration - not to be personally offended. That was my reaction to your first post. I now accept that you were misunderstood.

It's all good ;)

I'm so glad that we've come to understanding:flower:

Islandgrrl
April 22nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
For sure, at 42 I must look like a Neapolitan Mastiff (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/Neapolitan_Mastiff_Male_Head.JPG) then, with my hair all dragging me down.

NOT QUITE!!! But the pic did make me laugh. :p

lady G
April 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
you know its this kinda bs in hair magazines that has made me go get it cut in the past thinking i must be getting too old and ugh long hair must be old fashioned but shame on me for being sucked into all that:confused: this time i am not gonna buy any of those silly magazines and log in on here instead:D

Sillage
April 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
My personal opinion about long hair being attractive will remain unaltered, though.

I should hope so; this is LHC after all! :p

I have strong opinions about beauty too, Eirinn. Opinions that I'm sure some people here would find offensive (I'm one of those awful people who loves fashion btw ;)). But sometimes I am really bothered by the tone of posts that diss short hair because it seems like the point isn't to talk about or critique the aesthetics of a look, but rather to just put it down. :shrug:

vindo
April 22nd, 2008, 01:19 PM

I won't type out the whole article (copyright stuff?) but a few points that got me a little :rolleyes::

"(blah blah stuff about short cuts enhancing facial features) There's not much you can do with long hair to get those effects."

The person who wrote that article obviously favors short hair and tries to argue for it..:rolleyes: come across people like that all the time..

mellie
April 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
I've had a pixie cut as well as long hair past the tailbone. Some friends who had only known me with a pixie were shocked when they saw me with long hair. They said that I look 10 years younger with the long hair! :-)

Ella
April 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
I had short hair for ages and I have to say that long is far more interesting and no less work. You can't put a pixie cut or a slightly grown-out bob into a messy bun, can you?!

Neon Gloss
April 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Ugh.. Short hair. I've had short hair since I was 9, up until recently.. And I always hated it, but I loved the look of short hair on other people. I thought that it would grow on me (no pun intended).

Short hair on people 30+? Gosh, I think that short hair can age people more than long hair can. I remember serving a banquet FULL of senior women. THEY -ALL- HAD PIXIE CUTS! You see long hair on younger people more frequently, so in my eyes, long hair makes you look younger.

Tabitha
April 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
This gets so boring. Why can't short hair rock, AND long hair be cool? I've had both at different times - variety is the spice of life. How dull if we were all clones.

Elenna
May 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I was told by a lady that shorter hair would look younger on me! She's older with dyed blond hair cut to chin length.

Yet another older lady with dyed dark brown hair cut to chin (like Poosh Spice) told me how nice her hair was. I'm like "really?"

I was thinking that with APL hair, I'm starting to get unwanted advice/looks about my hair length. For Pete's sake, it's only APL!

Loviatar
May 4th, 2008, 05:56 PM
This gets so boring. Why can't short hair rock, AND long hair be cool?

:cheer:

I looked just as good with my bleached and bright-red dyed pixie as I do with my henna'd 23 inches. However, I'd rather grow my hair out now.

I do have to say though, that if I reach my goal weight (Many pounds away at the moment!) and decide that a red pixie will suit my thinner, more heart-shaped face than my long locks do, then it's likely I'll cut them off again.

And I hope, as happened with people like Pegasus Marsters and SchnauzerMom when they cut their hair short, that I will still be welcome on this forum.

Blueglass
May 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Then why are extensions popular?

MotherConfessor
May 4th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I just celebrated my 22 birthday and was telling a friend of mine how I am annoyed by people constantly guessing me at 16 (yes I know I will appreciate it when I am older, but right now im just annoyed at the cop who kept me for 2 hours verifying my age because he thought I had a fake ID :mad::mad::mad:), and she told me that if I want to look older I should cut my hair. Apparently my long hair makes me look much younger... About six people chimed in and agreed that she was right. Take that stupid fashion guru idiots.

Growin' It
May 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM
So why do hair product companies (almost) always use longhairs to advertise themselves? :P

shellblue1
May 4th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Wow! I totally agree! 30 is definitely NOT old. I want to grow my hair out super long and I'll be 30 next year.

Stupid article.

BlackfootHair
May 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I just read an article in a magazine today about chin length being the magical length that makes everybody beautiful. I don't know. I see loads of people with chin length hair everyday, the only ones who look great (to me) are young boys under 12 with bright eyes and rosy cheeks. :)

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/simple.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/shades.jpg

Certainly not my worst looks...But I am growing my hair long...even though I just cut it even more to fix the horrid botch job the last stylist did, and to get rid of more damage.

I agree that those articles shouldn't bash long hair. Perhaps the author of the article has some issues with people telling her why short hair isn't acceptable...or maybe they just like the way wearing short hair allows them to feel "reinvented" after a new cut. I personally can't wait to re-invent myself with different long hair styles once I have it grown out. For now, I'll enjoy my short hair cut. The majority of the damage is gone and it doesn't tangle so horribly on top like it did before because of breakage.

Kiraela
May 4th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Blackfoothair, you are definately proof that short hair can look absolutely awesome. Also: those sunglasses rock. So very much.

BlackfootHair
May 4th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Why thank you. :)

Valorie
May 4th, 2008, 10:12 PM
*Sorry to deviate from the original topic a bit, but blackfoothair you remind me of this image.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k90/Jhernandez_08/elizabeth1-1.jpg

Glamorous beauty indeed!

lady G
May 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
well i am in my thirties and growing my hair maybe im gonna be too old then:rolleyes: how crazy are these magazine articles i think long hair can look fabulous on anyone.

Eireann
May 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Blackfoothair, you look great! You're shaking my long hair resolve! LOL!

happylynngilmer
May 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM
And, face it, buns are more professional.

I agree with this :D

But, in all honesty, I feel just as sexy in a bun than I do with my hair down!

ETA: This "article" is obviously not a type of study, it's an opinion, an "N=1" study LOL

redbark
May 6th, 2008, 11:15 AM
NOT QUITE!!! But the pic did make me laugh. :p

"Not quite?" :misskim:

That isn't the same as "Are you kidding? Of course not" :wigtongue

swanns
May 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM
This article makes it sound like short hair suits anyone... :rolleyes: Which is DEFINITELY not the case.

Kiraela
May 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Swanns: I agree. I've had short hair (chin length, in fact, which seems to be the 'magic' length) ... and I looked like a mushroom.
Some people look great with short hair. Some... well. Just plain Don't.

lookingglass
May 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
:rolleyes:They didn't convince me!:p

blondecat
May 14th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Kids don't have the cash flow that poeple over 30 have.

That's why they only target woman over 30, we are supposedly in a better career by then and financially well off.

flapjack
May 14th, 2008, 02:55 AM
People REALLY need to update this whole "when you hit 30 years old" nonsense because 30 is ridiculously young and most people still look quite young at 30, assuming they take decent care of themselves and didn't fry in the sun all the time as a teen or drink their 20's into oblivion.

But as blondecat said, if the target is for money purposes, I can understand a bit more. Buttttt I don't know... a lot of educated women are still paying back education loans and trying to buy a home at around 30. The years near 30 sound like they would be more costly, with people usually settling down into families near that time in their lives.

/ramble

florenonite
May 14th, 2008, 03:56 AM
People REALLY need to update this whole "when you hit 30 years old" nonsense because 30 is ridiculously young and most people still look quite young at 30, assuming they take decent care of themselves and didn't fry in the sun all the time as a teen or drink their 20's into oblivion.

But as blondecat said, if the target is for money purposes, I can understand a bit more. Buttttt I don't know... a lot of educated women are still paying back education loans and trying to buy a home at around 30. The years near 30 sound like they would be more costly, with people usually settling down into families near that time in their lives.

/ramble

I agree. When my mum was thirty she had two young children to look after and no job because of it. My cousin will be 29 in September and he's still at uni. He's hoping to finish his PhD. by the end of this school year, but by the time he's thirty he'll be settling down into a job and paying back loans.

blondecat
May 14th, 2008, 04:14 AM
And at 40's plus, we still have a young un in Private Hgh School, [so even tho I said it]............. we have no money either <<grining>>

But, we have paid off our house.

In the past it was cut your hair at 40 yrs old. But, these days a lot of Mums are only starting their families at 30 to 40 plus.

florenonite
May 14th, 2008, 04:20 AM
And at 40's plus, we still have a young un in Private Hgh School, [so even tho I said it]............. we have no money either <<grining>>

But, we have paid off our house.

In the past it was cut your hair at 40 yrs old. But, these days a lot of Mums are only starting their families at 30 to 40 plus.

Lol, the 40s plus probably have the least amount of money. My parents are stuck with kids in uni for the next decade or so. My older sister and I are finishing up our first year (she took an extra year of high school, as many people do in Ontario), when we graduate my sister starts, in her fourth year my youngest sister starts. Come to think of it, maybe that's why my mum only cuts her hair every couple of months. She should grow it long!

Elbereth
May 14th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I'm 31. My life is over
Oh if only my hair was shorter!
You see, this morning I woke up
with this perfect short haircut
But -I'm not sure how
it just started to grow
Down and down and down my back
How could I have foreseen that?
By the time I got here
my ends were tickling my rear
and suddenly I heard them whisper in my ear:
You're 31 now and deserve to be told
You're not here to decorate anyone's world

:p

DecafJane
May 14th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Elbereth, that is great - I love it! :D

noelgirl
May 14th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Here's what's interesting - I recently read an article in a fashion magazine where - get this - a Hollywood hairdresser said that the age guideline is pure hogwash, and even mentioned some of his clients in their 30's and 40's who have long hair. Granted, there's money to be made on long hair too (extensions?), but I found it interesting that someone who I would think is more on the "cutting edge" of fashion than whoever wrote that article would say that. I'll have to see if that article is online . . .

florenonite
May 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Here's what's interesting - I recently read an article in a fashion magazine where - get this - a Hollywood hairdresser said that the age guideline is pure hogwash, and even mentioned some of his clients in their 30's and 40's who have long hair. Granted, there's money to be made on long hair too (extensions?), but I found it interesting that someone who I would think is more on the "cutting edge" of fashion than whoever wrote that article would say that. I'll have to see if that article is online . . .

That's rather interesting. There was an article on the old LHC that had been scanned from the newspaper where someone had asked her hairdresser why they say women over x-many years shouldn't have long hair and that it was purely about money. Women at that age are more concerned about 'fitting in' apparently whilst teenagers like to experiment more (I'm not sure I agree with this. In middle school I was horribly insecure and wanted to be like the other girls. Now, while still insecure, I'm proud of my idiosyncracies and differences. Besides, I've seen many, many girls my age with the same haircut, etc.), and therefore the former are more likely to wear their hair as the hairdresser has told them to.

noelgirl
May 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Found it! From W Magazine (think it's from a few months ago, they mention Gwyneth who has since cut her hair):

But almost 25 years later, it’s not just the ingenues who are letting their hair down. Demi Moore, 45, she of the pixie cut in the days of Ghost, today has a flowing mane that falls to the middle of her back. Jennifer Aniston, Gwyneth Paltrow, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kyra Sedgwick and Natascha McElhone, all in their mid-30s to early 40s, have hair that reaches their breasts. Even Meryl Streep has recently grown hers long again. And one year away from turning 60, she looks as sexy as she did 20 years ago.

“I definitely don’t believe that you have to cut off your long hair after 40,” says hairstylist Chris McMillan, who in his eponymous Los Angeles salon tends to the lustrous locks of Aniston and other leading ladies. “Women take better care of themselves on the whole. Their bodies are healthier, their skin, their hair—everything is healthier. It doesn’t all go to pot after 40 anymore.” It’s true. Whether it’s Pilates, dermatologist appointments or low-carb diets, well-maintained women in their mid-30s and 40s don’t look like their mothers did at their age. They’re dressing more youthfully and letting their hair grow long to match.

http://www.wmagazine.com/beauty/2008/02/long_hair

They go on to banter about "how long is too long" and what not :rolleyes: but hey, it's a start.

Eireann
May 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I loved this passage in the article, but for me it was Winona Ryder, not Princess Di! LOL!

"I myself used to have a short hairstyle that, I liked to believe, resembled Princess Diana’s. I loved feeling the breeze hit my bare neck. I loved how it looked with a black turtleneck and a pair of diamond studs. I even grew judgmental of my long-haired peers, smirking at their need to have that unnecessary accessory in order to feel feminine. This all came to a crashing halt, however, one day when I looked at a photo of myself and realized I looked less like Di and more like my middle-school gym teacher. That was about seven years ago, and since then I’ve let it grow to its current long length."

Saranne772
May 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Yeh right!!!

My Gt Grandmother, she is now 98 and this photo was taken in August 2006 so she would have been 96. Her hair is waist length... http://file033a.bebo.com/1/large/2007/05/02/15/19585513a4265054044b984937802l.jpg

cindy58
May 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Saranne, that's a wonderful photo of your great grandmother!

Katze
May 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
great pic!

I can't wait to have long silver hair. Now that I'm in my 30s, I am much more confident about myself than I was. Sometimes, I regret the years I spent bleaching and dyeing my hair so that it would not grow long, and I always regretted every haircut.

Short hair really can make people look older, though I agree, there are some cute short haircuts. I just prefer long hair.

Millielie
May 15th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Wow nice pic. Your grandmother looks great considering she is that old.

soleluna
May 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Yeh right!!!

My Gt Grandmother, she is now 98 and this photo was taken in August 2006 so she would have been 96. Her hair is waist length... http://file033a.bebo.com/1/large/2007/05/02/15/19585513a4265054044b984937802l.jpg

WOW! she looks great!

twilight
May 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM
personally, i think long hair is youthful.

i've read plenty of one-liners in crappy magazines saying something like "grow up and cut your hair"... it's "professional" aka "mature" aka "just like everybody else" (except around here, lol). which would imply that long hair is 'childish,' and thus makes you look younger, right??

at any rate, i plan to keep long locks until they are a gleaming white, and fooey on anybody who doesn't like it! :wigtongue:

ETA: saranne772, your grandmother is clearly amazing. and spidermom, that pic of you is SO CUTE!!

Nynaeve
May 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Yeh right!!!

Wow, she looks absolutely amazing and vibrantly happy! I want to be that happy and healthy at that age. ;)