PDA

View Full Version : Cowlick troubles

Sarah4983
September 24th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I have a VERY obvious cowlick in the back of my head... the longer my hair gets, the worse it seems for some reason. Maybe I'm just paying more attention to my hair and therefore am noticing the cowlick more....
Anyway,
is there a way to reduce the white bald spot it creates? I tried brushing my hair down while it was damp and now it's up in conditioner and a plastic bag for an overnight deep condition; maybe this will help... but it's the direction of the hair growth right?

Is there anything I can do??

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=47472

Xandergrammy
September 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I have one in almost the exact same spot. I have good luck with combing gel over that spot, then checking throughout the day to make sure the hair stays "put". I wear buns and braids more than anything else, though, and the cowlick is not as noticeable in these styles.

aahavaa
September 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Gosh the back of your head looks so similiar to mine with the cowlick in same place too. Funnily enough my cowlick got a lot better once I began leaving my hair wavy and not brushing it while drying. One thing I used to do and still do when I remember is to use a little clip to bunch that area together near the roots while its drying that will usually beat the cowlick.LOL dont know if I explained that properly though

flyfaraway
September 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have a very similar one.
Right after I shower, I clip that section of hair flat with the rest of my hair, and leave it in until it's completely dry. It should stay semi-normal until the next time you shower.
(:

Indigosails
September 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I also have that cowlick on the back of my head. :agree: It gets more noticeable the longer my hair gets. It is really frustrating.

eadwine
September 25th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I have a tiny one in that same spot (are we seeing a pattern here? :lol:), and after an updo I comb over it with a thin/narrow toothed comb and mist it a little. That takes care of it.

misstwist
September 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I have a tiny one in that same spot (are we seeing a pattern here? :lol:), and after an updo I comb over it with a thin/narrow toothed comb and mist it a little. That takes care of it.

That.

I ALWAYS finish in updo with combing the scalp with a narrow tooth comb or a bbb to get rid of cowlick caused scalp cleavage.

GoddesJourney
September 25th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I've had good luck at least with changing parts by tightly braiding my hair into two braids for the day. Just make the part where you want it and then make your braids from there. This technique might help you if you just part your hair right above the cowlick and braid. This would force your hair do go in the other direction a little and maybe balance it out. Try it. If it doesn't work, at least you tried.

Sarah4983
September 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks so much for the ideas!

The cowlick is so resistant to changing direction that even just gently combing it the opposite direction, or even downward, with a fine tooth comb hurts my scalp a little...

I will try some of these things and hopefully something works... because like I said; it's quite obvious. The picture I posted doesn't really show it in all of it's cowlicky beauty.

MunchkinBubble
September 25th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm a cowlick sufferer as well! I was always blissfully ignorant of my scalp cleavage until I joined this site and started taking pictures of the back of my head. Now I obsess about it!

With updos it's usually pretty easy to cover just because of having your front hair pulled back over it, but whenever your hair is down I'm guessing its way more noticable?
Hairspray - and lots of it - is the only way I'm able to cover mine.
What I've found that works best is to comb hair back over it rather than from the side over. So take a comb from the middle top of your head and keep combing it back until enough hair doesn't fall back forward again and covers the scalp - and then spray spray spray! This stays better rather than trying to comb the hair by the scalp to the side.

you could also look into colored hair spray. There is a number of brands of different colored sprays that will temporarily color your skin scalp - so it will look like there's hair there. I haven't really looked into this though so I'm not sure what kind of chemicals you'd be putting on your scalp.

otherwise just try to forget about it and remember that you went years without even knowing it was there!

sissy304762
September 25th, 2009, 09:23 PM
God blessed me with cowlicks all over therfore i have wavy hair i actually have three really big ones on the back of my head but i do all sorts of crazy things with my hair so it never bothers me lol

Flynn
September 25th, 2009, 09:37 PM
... I don't think anything of them. It looks no "worse" than the "bald spot" caused by a part, and you can always connect it to your part...

Wanderer09
September 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I have two of these on the back of my head and I hate how they look when my hair isn't freshly washed. I just comb my hair over them when it's wet and let it dry like that. It helps a bit, but I still really wish they weren't there.

Sarah4983
September 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
HAH! I Just remembered something when I read munchkin bubble's comment about going on for years never knowing it was there....

I just remembed one night I was at work about 6 years ago my coworker goes "what is going on with your hair back here?!" and she went to "fix" my cowlick... I had straightened my hair and I guess the cowlick was all kinds of obvious that day... she just laughed at me and shook her head.

Hahaha I guess I will try to work on covering it more now that I have some great ideas to try!