PDA

View Full Version : Silver envy?

Belledandy
September 24th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Is it just me or are there any others out there who are actually excited about going grey?

I had a dream a couple nights back where I awoke in my bed and got up to go to the vanity. When I passed the mirror I was utterly shocked to see my hair had started going silver around my face and I had a lovely long stripe of it on one side of my part. I was so excited I yelled for my husband to come see it and played with it in the mirror. It made me feel so beautiful and womanly! It was quite a dissappointment to wake up for real and not have it there. Since then I've been noticing grey hair on people everywhere (And of various ages) and can't help but think, "I'll look like them some day!"

Or maybe I'm just nuts. ;)

Amara
September 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I TOTALLY have silver envy. I have a friend who is my age who has awesome salt and pepper hair. I don't have one dang grey. Sad face!

Belledandy
September 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM
My sister started popping up grey hairs at 13 much to her dismay. In my family it's a toss up: you either grey early (which I haven't so far) or you grey very late. My great grandmother had long enough hair to wrap around her body three times and have enough to sit on and only got a bit of grey around the temples right before she died. (In her eighties.)

walkinglady
September 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I have silver envy. I'm starting to get a few and I love them!

JamieLeigh
September 24th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I can't say I'm excited about going grey....but I'm not going to be upset by it either. I have a very youthful face, so I'm told, and I don't think it will make me look "old". What I AM excited about is being hopefully near terminal length by that time, lol. :)

AJoifulNoise
September 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I got really, really excited when I found my first silvers. They were followed by quite a few more. I am pleased as punch. :D

Gabriel
September 24th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Me! I'm excited to go grey! My mom had blue black hair and as she got older it went sparkly silver. I hope I'm that lucky, the few I have it's hard to tell if I will get to be as sparkly a silver as her.

little_acorn
September 24th, 2009, 03:40 PM
LOL I so have silver envy - I think it comes from seeing all those LHCers with beautiful silver hair and/or sparklers. I actually have my first 2 now - and yes I actually did a little happy dance LOL

QueenAnne'sLace
September 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
You're not alone and you're not crazy. Silver hair is a sign in Native culture of wisdom and authority. Everyone looks up to an elder of the tribe. What they say is important and should be heeded.
We're just living in an upside down, backwards culture that doesn't respect experience.

Samara Morgan
September 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm envious of silver hair! :grin: Although I'm talking more about blondish / white silver :) I would love hair like that :cloud9: There are some gorgeous heads of silver hair on here :inlove:

Belledandy
September 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm hoping mine will be a light silvery color, as I'm a medium brunette. I've seen some beautiful hair here that looks like a mane of spun sugar.

twolunarspring
September 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I am really looking forward to having long silver hair one day :)

freckles
September 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I think silver hair is awesome and I would be happy to have it one day. Emphasis on ONE DAY - I've had three white hairs so far in my life and they've all been tugged out. I'm just not ready yet!! haha.

curls2grow
September 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I was only excited about going grey when I finally made the decision to "bring it on" and stopped coloring. I hated the grey when I was trying to hide it with permanent dye and losing the battle within weeks of expensive salon coloring. I like the "shades of grey" color variation in my hair. I rarely see anyone with grey or silver hair past shoulder length, let alone curly.

WelshLocks
September 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I realize I am still very young but when I get older(say like 45+) can I dye my hair the silver I get?It will turn that color eventually regardless but I'm wondering if I died it would it stay that color or fade back to my natural color?I know that's only like 29 years away.:rolleyes:

GlassEyes
September 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Yes. Intensely. :D I'd love to have silver hair right now--and I'm only eighteen. xD;

Sadly, I have 'good' hair genes, apparently, so I won't start silvering (if I ever do) until later in life. My mom dyes her hair blonde, but she doesn't have any gray, minus a randomly appearing single hair--she just started dyeing again on a regular basis, her hair was natural for a few years prior, so I'm sure of the no gray. Granted, she's young, but my grandmother didn't have any when she died either, though she was only in her fifties. My cousin and my Uncle are the only two people with silvering hair that I can look to--my uncle has salt and pepper, and Eddy has snow white hair, but both are either in their sixties, or close to it, though neither look it. :shrug:

My dad is just getting gray hair at fifty, so either way, I have to wait, and I'm in no rush to age--except for the hair. xD;

motormuffin
September 24th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I've seen the future...mine is definitely going to be white...the same as my grandmother's. Right now they are mostly above my ears where you don't really see them. I've been highlighting my hair and they just blend in. I'll probably stop and just let them be.

Esperanza
September 24th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Me too! I have only a few silver hairs now, and they really don't show up, but I would love to have a long silver mane.

aada
September 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM
i can't wait! and i am 24, so getting close to when my family starts to go grey. ;) well, we go white, but close enough!

Kimberly
September 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
You're not alone and you're not crazy. Silver hair is a sign in Native culture of wisdom and authority. Everyone looks up to an elder of the tribe. What they say is important and should be heeded.
We're just living in an upside down, backwards culture that doesn't respect experience.

Well said!

I am very happy with my silvers -- they're the same color as my grandfather's (not grey, but silvery, bright white), and exactly what I hoped for. It looks as if my hairs are even trying to muster some streaks. I sure hope so! With my curly hair the silvers make it look slightly "messy" when it's loose, but my hair is greying so fast now that it won't be a problem for long. I have wanted prematurely silvery white hair since I was a kid (in a long, long braid) and it looks as if I'm likely to get it! Hooray!

My mom, on the other hand, has maybe three grey hairs. She's so sad about it. She's wanted grey hair since I was a kid, and it looks as if she's never really going to have it.

luluj
September 24th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I LOVE my silver hair!! Last December I cut my hair right "down to the wood" to get rid of the last of the hair dye. I am now in grow mode and can't wait for it to get to my shoulders and then beyond! My hair is quite curly when it is very short, but tends to have loose waves when I have some decent length. There is a website called "goinggraylookinggreat.com" and there are many members who are quite young and have decided to embrace their silver. Just remember......Gray is a colour and there are so many beautiful variations such as pearl, pewter, ice, smoke, charcoal. moonlite etc. Check it out..www.goinggraylookinggreat.com

Whimsical wind
September 25th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Yes! I'm looking forward to having long, silver hair. :D

Toadstool
September 25th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I was only excited about going grey when I finally made the decision to "bring it on" and stopped coloring. I hated the grey when I was trying to hide it with permanent dye and losing the battle within weeks of expensive salon coloring.

Totally what she said.:)

Wicked Princess
September 25th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I do love the look of some of the LHC members who have beautiful, long, silvery hair! I don't think I am envious, specifically, but I'm certainly not going to be hiding any of my silvers when they do grow in.

At least...I think they'll grow in. On my father's side of the family (English/Swedish), the women went grey by my age. On my mother's side of the family, though (Filipino) the women didn't START getting grey strands until their late fifties, and even then it was generally mild. So...it's a bit of a toss up as to when it will happen for me. :)

Arashi
September 25th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I think silver hair is gorgeous, but I actually have white hair envy. I'm a natural blond who dyes her hair black and I never intend to stop for as long as my roots continue to grow out blond, but if I eventually see my roots begin to sprout out snowy white, I'm going to stop dyeing it immediately. At that point, I will also change my current length goal (somewhere between waist and classic- I'm not sure yet) and grow it to my knees. Of course, there's a long while before I have a chance to think about that.. I'm still in my teens. I also have strong reason to believe that my natural color will eventually progress to brown before my hair turns silver/gray/white, and that could change my plans significantly.

I actually killed my hair once, in an attempt to bleach it to white. :o

Teazel
September 25th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Aw. Way to buck the trend, guys! I always cursed the premature greying gene in my family - and the fact that I was the only one to cop it in my generation - but now I feel kind of privileged. :thumbsup:

froglet
September 25th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I was only excited about going grey when I finally made the decision to "bring it on" and stopped coloring. I hated the grey when I was trying to hide it with permanent dye and losing the battle within weeks of expensive salon coloring.

This is also right where my head is at! I hated the gray, ...until I loved it. :p

ChrissieM
September 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I will love and accept my gray hair when it comes. However, my mother at 59 is about 50% gray and my father at 60 only has a bit of gray around his face and a graying beard. So it may be awhile for me.

fluffybunny
September 25th, 2009, 10:22 AM
My grandmother was barely salt-n-pepper in her 80s, so I just don't think a headful of silver is in my genetic makeup. I think grey looks really cool. It's an unusual color to see now, since dyeing is the norm.

I was excited when some greys started appearing in my late 20s. They were all in one spot, so I thought I'd get a cool-looking streak. Unfortunately they're just not determined enough-- here I am at 46 and my streak is still only visible really close up.

Women friends & relatives frequently ask me if it's my natural color, since I have so little grey. Plus my hair has actually darkened a couple shades in the last few years, so it's natural to assume I'm dyeing it now. Some folks really seem disbelieving when I say no, I'm not dyeing it, it's just gotten darker lately. I have to get them to take a close look so they can see my greys. :)

In fact I take pride in not dyeing, since that's the typical middle-aged thing to do. It takes courage to allow your body's changes to be visible. We're supposed to desperately hide all signs of change. Bah!

NiAosSi
September 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I definitely cannot wait! I have about 2 silvers. My great grandmother had silver/white classic length hair that she braided into a crown braid with a green ribbon every morning. I found out the green ribbon was the handkerchief my great grandfather wore at their wedding. :inlove:

She has since cut to pixie... :(

teela1978
September 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I'd much prefer to have mine hold off for a few more years :P

Shiva
September 25th, 2009, 10:40 AM
No, I don't have "silver envy" I have "silver jealousy." :rolleyes:

However, my hair has lots of silvers in it (one side more than the other) and I am looking forward to my silver hairs taking over and looking like a long-haired witch, madwoman, what-have-you. As long as my hemline is blunt and healthy-looking I don't care what color my hair turns.

Zéphine
September 25th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I'm not ready to go silver yet (though I've spotted one grey hair in there somewhere), but I LOVE silver hair. It looks very distinguished, yet has a sort of fairy tale beauty. I am envious sometimes...but I want to enjoy my current hair color too, while it lasts.

Maud
September 25th, 2009, 10:58 AM
My granddad has completely white hair, it used to be black. He has a lot of hair too, his hair is so cool! but i really don't want grey hair yet (that would be a little bit weird at my age!).

Suisan
September 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I count my silvers. I've been wanting to go grey, or at least salt and pepper for some years now. If I could have found a hair color that would allow me to go grey without killing the hair shaft, I'd have "gone grey" a while ago. On America's Next Top Model, I always find myself admiring Jay's hair -- black roots with steel grey, not blond, tips. When he les it go more blond I'm disappointed.

Kiraela
September 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I found my first white hair a few days ago, and I'm in love! I don't know how I didn't notice her before, she's long enough that there's dye on the end from the last time I dyed, three and a half years ago. I can't wait until she's joined by more!

In my family, my mom's sister has had solid-stainless-steel colored hair as far back as I can remember, so since she was in her mid 30s at the latest. (at the time, it was about waist length, now she keeps it shorter) My dad has always, that I can remember, had distinctly silver/snowy hair... so I will likely go very bright silver, since both of them had a color similar to mine. Mom is a redhead, who is roughly 50% or so gray, and she rather looks like a roan horse, haha. When she was younger, she matched my chestnut gelding, so it makes sense, I guess.

But anyway, Yeah. I am indeed looking forward to silver hair.

Kimberly
September 25th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I definitely cannot wait! I have about 2 silvers. My great grandmother had silver/white classic length hair that she braided into a crown braid with a green ribbon every morning. I found out the green ribbon was the handkerchief my great grandfather wore at their wedding. :inlove:

That is so incredibly sweet!

MemSahib
September 25th, 2009, 02:08 PM
fluffybunny, mine did that turn-darker thing well into adulthood, too, but I think I was in my 30s, not 40s when it happened. My grandmother refused to believe I hadn't colored it. Oh well.

Yes, embrace your silvers, my children, for silver rocks!

luluj
September 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM
[QUOTE=NiAosSi;782714]I definitely cannot wait! I have about 2 silvers. My great grandmother had silver/white classic length hair that she braided into a crown braid with a green ribbon every morning. I found out the green ribbon was the handkerchief my great grandfather wore at their wedding. :inlove:

Such a lovely, heartwarming vision.:heartbeat

apynip
September 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
i loooove silver hair. Its a sign of wisdom for me. I may be 17 but deffinatly not scared of going grey/silver.

Elenna
October 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM
No, I don't have "silver envy" I have "silver jealousy." :rolleyes: However, my hair has lots of silvers in it (one side more than the other) and I am looking forward to my silver hairs taking over and looking like a long-haired witch, madwoman, what-have-you. As long as my hemline is blunt and healthy-looking I don't care what color my hair turns.

Hoo boy, growing hair dye out and letting the silvers show makes quite a difference in appearance. At times, I feel like a long-haired witch. Keeping the ends blunt and the hair healthly goes a long way though. Maybe, I'll be like Glenda the good witch of the north.

hennaphile
October 5th, 2009, 03:13 AM
count me in :D

ilovelonghair
October 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I once saw a young woman who's hair was completely white and waist lenght, that was beautiful! Most people have just a misture of greys and whites, you don't see it often completly white.
I have just one white hair LOL

Tangerine
October 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM
It's so funny seeing this thread come up today! I noticed three white strands in my parting this morning and felt pretty excited about it. It made me giggle because I doubt I would have felt like that before LHC.

I always expected to take after my mum, who has never had a single grey hair, and I was always quite pleased with that prospect. Now, I feel differently ... and am happy to see my hair can turn silver ha ha.

Not sure if this is the real deal though, or just a temporary thing. My hair is teasing me :p

Mutinous
October 5th, 2009, 06:41 AM
My Grandad had this amazing white hair, that was thick and curly, right until he died, so if my hair goes anything like that I will be a happy bunny!

Tinose
October 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I love white hair. Unfortunately, I didn't seem to have gotten my dad's greying genetics, considering I'm already past the point where he started greying, so I'll probably have to wait a while longer. But I think it's just gorgeous and am looking forward to it.

Ravenwaves 88
October 5th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I would love to have a head full of long white hair. I know I'll be salt and peppery because I'm a brunette. Still......love it. There is a woman that works with me with long silver and grey hairs to her tailbone. I also really REALLY want a grey streak right in the front/bangs area. (my aunt has it so I may have a shot)

embee
October 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM
This is the sweetest thing I've seen in quite a while:

My great grandmother had silver/white classic length hair that she braided into a crown braid with a green ribbon every morning. I found out the green ribbon was the handkerchief my great grandfather wore at their wedding. :inlove:

I always wanted hair like Grandmother in The Princess and The Goblin. My grandfather had *gorgeous* wavy silver hair from his early 30s, and nobody else in our family got that gene. Bummer.

Kris Dove
October 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, but my mother is 58 and has only started getting a bit of grey that actually shows other than the odd sparkler, so if I take after her I'll have a long wait!

I love Fionnola Flanagan's long white hair in The Others, and one of my friends has long hair that's white on the canopy and salt and pepper underneath, and gorgeous.

MissManda
October 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Actually, I know a woman with the prettiest silver hair I've ever seen. I don't know how old she is, but her hair is a pale white-gray color, looks thick, and is very shiny and healtyh-looking. Her hair is only shoulder-length, but I absolutely love the color. I hope than when I start to go gray, my hair will turn a similar color.

Zindell
October 6th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I think a mane of full silver/white hair is beautiful but I don't have silver envy.

I like my hair the color it is right now, but when the silver starts to show up I will embrace them fully. :)

Celebrian
November 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Oh boy. Listen.

I have 50-60% grey hair, mainly around the front of the head. I'm basically mid-brunette and dye my hair a slightly darker brown (looks good) and to erase the grey.

This last weekend, I was putting my hair away from my face with a headband prior to washing my face - and saw nearly a centimetre of grey all around the hairline.

You know what? I washed and moisturised and applied a little makeup - and took another good look. The hair was gleaming and healthy, so shiny and even more silvery than it was a year ago (or so it seemed). I kept looking and wishing that I could see myself with that sliver all grown out. Yes, I looked older - but still looked good. A bit of lipstick and eyemakeup are essentials for me anyway, and, oh, I don't know... I just keep thinking wistfully about it, you know.

I mean, if it was moreorless all silky and shiny and cared for - well, maybe I could be a beautiful silver lady! See, my mom was bad with her grey hair and didn't really condition and maintain it, so, I naturally have shyed away from the memory of what her hair was like. My father, however, had lovely fine gleamy silver hair - and now I come to think of it, perhaps my hair type is closer to his. I never thought of that before tonight!

Anyway, don't expect me to do this anytime soon as I'd have to go through that dreadful 'badger stripe' experience in order to get all that grey grown down. You know, silver roots slowly growing out make you look bald from a distance for quite a while!!

Anyway, when I'd dyed the roots brown again, I pulled my hair right back from my face again - and missed that silver gleaming line... *sigh*

HildeMV
November 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM
No, I'm not looking forward to it. I think it will wash me out, unless it turns completely white.

spidermom
November 10th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Silver envy? Me? Nah.

Wally
November 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM
My hair was originally an ash blond which looked gray under certain lighting. My heritage is for white, of which I now have one significant streak and lots of highlights. Bring it on! Not many men have a full head of long white hair.

Flynn
November 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I can't say I'm excited about going grey....but I'm not going to be upset by it either. I have a very youthful face, so I'm told, and I don't think it will make me look "old". What I AM excited about is being hopefully near terminal length by that time, lol. :)

Except for the terminal length part, this sums up my feeling pretty nicely, too.

Me! I'm excited to go grey! My mom had blue black hair and as she got older it went sparkly silver. I hope I'm that lucky, the few I have it's hard to tell if I will get to be as sparkly a silver as her.

There is a Vietnamese lady I know (she's a mature-age student who I've gone through all my Chemistry classes with) who has this beautifully smooth, completely straight blue-black longish bob which she always wears loose. She had a nice, evenly-spaced scattering of brilliantly sparkly greys, which makes her hair look pinstriped! It's so cool!

p3_Arme
November 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The thing that makes me laugh is thus, I can go into Boots (Chemist) and pick up any haircolour I fancy, likewise I can go into a hair stylists, or hair dressers (As I call them) as again get any colour I fancy.......:D

Except for the fact that I can not get Silver, Grey (Gray) or any shade of white anywhere. :crazyq:

We live in a world where we are obsessed with staying and looking young, where as we should be taught to inbrace death as part of our lifecycle, yes I'm worried about dying, but hey if I can look beautiful with silver hair, then I'm all for it. :p

Although if there's no chocolate in heaven, then I'm not going. If I had a choice when I died, I'd watch Earth and see how our civilisation grow, either that or explore the universe - there is life out there, somewhere. ;)

Xandergrammy
November 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I definitely have silver envy. I stopped dyeing my hair 3 years ago and am a little disappointed that I don't have more whites/silvers/grays!! My mother and grandmother had beautiful white hair and I hope mine ends up the same color.

Flynn
November 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM
The thing that makes me laugh is thus, I can go into Boots (Chemist) and pick up any haircolour I fancy, likewise I can go into a hair stylists, or hair dressers (As I call them) as again get any colour I fancy.......:D

Except for the fact that I can not get Silver, Grey (Gray) or any shade of white anywhere. :crazyq:

We live in a world where we are obsessed with staying and looking young, where as we should be taught to inbrace death as part of our lifecycle, yes I'm worried about dying, but hey if I can look beautiful with silver hair, then I'm all for it. :p

Although if there's no chocolate in heaven, then I'm not going. If I had a choice when I died, I'd watch Earth and see how our civilisation grow, either that or explore the universe - there is life out there, somewhere. ;)

Have you looked again recently? Scene/Emo fashion uses a lot of white in the hair (example (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NO2UOMMYKZ0/SRAItjGj7-I/AAAAAAAACOg/8gUnQPMW8Uc/s320/Scene-Kids-Hair.jpg), example (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/511100543_c1313f59f0.jpg), example (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p39Trjz5E-o/ST6Y9tkEzmI/AAAAAAAAAao/mIwtf5tTlyw/s1600-h/blue+white+emo+hair.jpg)), so you should be able to get white if you want it.

Grey isn't so simple, as it is a combination of individual white and coloured hairs. No-one is flat "grey".

Also: welcome to tLHC! ^____^

Rosamunde
November 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure about 'silver envy' - I think silver looks lovely on others, particularly those here with such full long hair - but I'm still not convinced about how it will look on me!

MissThorne
November 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I cant wait to go silver. My mother stopped dyeing her hair a few years back and it looks absolutely amazing especially since she let it grow. I cant wait to find out if I take after her with grey all over but silver on top, or if im going to go all white like my grandmothers.

Its the same anticipation as christmas.lol

pepperminttea
November 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I have to admit, I am a bit excited about going grey too! :o Though I do hope it happens fairly evenly, rather than how my mother's going grey; completely white at the front around the face, but still dark and salt and pepper-y at the back.

SurprisingWoman
November 10th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I colored for 10 years and did have to live through the badger stripe but I am glad I did.

My daughter colors (and cuts and flat irons and..... :)) and I keep telling her that she is going to have to quit one day or she will look like a cartoon but she's young so she has time. That's what being young if for I guess.

The badger (skunk or multi-color) was interesting to grow through but it was actually kind of fun too. Lots of comments from people!

Elenna
November 10th, 2009, 08:21 PM
....I am looking forward to my silver hairs taking over and looking like a long-haired witch, madwoman, what-have-you. As long as my hemline is blunt and healthy-looking I don't care what color my hair turns.

Long-haired witch or madwoman!!!

Shermie Girl
November 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I love my silvers. While I am growing and cutting away my henna removal attempt damage, I keep going back and forth over whether or not I will colour, when I have healthy hair, again. I have a lot of silver all through my hair and I am also getting some streaks. I started getting my first silvers in my early twenties. I just wish it had gone all silver, like some of the gorgeous heads we see here. :D

jasper
September 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I was envying some silver hair in a check-out line today. It was about BSL and black and silver. The silver was all through the black and I was wondering what I could say to compliment this stranger on the color of her hair.

Then she turned around and asked me if I had a coupon. . . I said no, so she handed me one- it was a store coupon for 40 % off one item and I said thanks and was so surprised that I lost the opportunity to compliment her hair.

BrightBlack
September 29th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't turned green yet. *sigh*

I keep going through my irritatingly blah hair looking for a shining little silver or beautiful white hair. Even a blah grey would make my year. I've had ONE to date and that was about five years ago. It was noticed by a beauty school student friend of mine who PULLED IT OUT TO SHOW ME! I almost cried. -_-

She told me not to worry - ten more would grow back to replace it. Still waiting. Stupid fake superstitions... why can't that ONE be right?

(Wishing for grey hair isn't the same as wishing your life away, either. I don't want to get older to get the grey - I want to be my age with grey LOL That's all)

Since I started wandering around here I've come to terms with the fact that I'm stuck with color for the time being. That said, I've decided to play with natural hair dyes (first attempt started today, went with paprika. Copper is next best to silver! Already have a little copper in the sunlight and it's the ONLY thing I really like about my hair. Time to try enhancing it!). Better believe I'll stop as soon as I see a little glint of silver, though! I'll wear it with PRIDE!

boomtownrat
September 29th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I obviously don't envy those with silver hair since it's what I have, but I do envy those with LONG silver hair.

TinaDenali
September 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I totally have silver envy! I can't wait to go grey!

Kibitzer
September 29th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I love the idea of having long grey hair. I'm not to wild about the growin it out part. If I could safely make my hair all white now I would and just skip the growing out process.

Intransigentia
September 29th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I think long white or silver hair is one of the most gorgeous things ever. I've declared myself a renegray despite having only a few sparklies, because I like them that much.

tinti
September 29th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I don't know. I used to dread it, now I'm not so sure :) That's a good thing, because my dad got grays at 20. My mom hasn't got one as I know, and she is 53 :)

Bene
September 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Can't say I have any silver envy. I'm not going to dye my hair when I start to go gray, I'm just not in any rush to get there. It'll happen when it happens.

I do think a nice salt and pepper braided bun on me would look nice, though.

Merewen
September 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I have seen some gorgeous heads of silver and/or white hair and would love to have it some day. In my family, though, there are those that gray prematurely and those that don't gray at all. Since I have no gray yet (my younger brother already has several) I'm afraid I might take more after my mom who is going on 60 and has all of 5 grays. Her mom, in her 70s, was maybe only a quarter gray. At most. I'm a little disappointed about this, truthfully. But we shall see.

-j-
September 30th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Is it just me or are there any others out there who are actually excited about going grey?
... Or maybe I'm just nuts. ;)

Nope, not just you :)
I can´t wait to get my silvers! There are none, so far. My partner has them, and my sister, and my partner´s sister... Me too, please!!!

MinderMutsig
September 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I've actually thought about dying my hair silver / grey in the past but the possible damage scared me off.

My grandmother on my mothers side had the most beautiful salt and pepper thing going on and my grandmother on my fathers side had gorgeous silver-grey hair.

My mother (at 52) is going the salt and pepper way too but she she dyes it. My father has moussy flat grey hair but he doesn't really take care of it. Both sides of the family got gray very late in life though so I don't expect the first greys any time soon.

Plus, me being a blonde, I think they would be very hard to spot.

growing2shine
September 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Yes I have silver envy!:p But everybody in my family goes grey very late in life. And with my hair colour it won't be easy to tell when I start to silver. I've got my hair colour from my moms side and their hair doesn't really go grey, it's more like fading over time.

Siava
September 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Definite silver envy over here. I love love love my grays and whites. I want more. MORE I say!! :D I'm hoping to have coloring like my mom: steel gray in the back and white in the front.

Toof
September 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I can't wait to go grey, but I'm going to have a long wait ahead of me...my parents are almost 60 and mom is only 40% silver, dad's about 50% grey. I'm quite envious of people who find their first grey hairs at young ages--I have absolutely none and if my parents are any indication I won't for a long time. In fact, my hair seems to be getting darker. :(

Fadedbluedreams
September 30th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I love Silver and white hair!! I recently found my 1st grey hair and I kept going back to the mirror to make sure it was still there.

restourceful
October 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM
Oh, yes, I can't wait to have silver hair! *snort*

As one of the long haired silvers, I thank all of you who have said you admire it. :flowers: I am completely and utterly in love with my long silver hair. :inlove:

DavidN
October 2nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Although I only have a fairly small number right now, I do enjoy seeing my natural silvers as they grow in, and I agree about all the beautiful silver hair that we see on the LHC!

Charlotte:)
January 12th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I am a teenager with silver envy! I am also probably the only person who is devastated that that they don't have the genes for it. Both my parents are in their 50s and neither one of them has a single gray hair, so I don't think I will either for a very long time. Shucks :(

Aurantia
January 12th, 2011, 11:23 PM
YES!

I have dreamed of going completely silver ever since my first gray hairs popped up at age 12. Two decades later and I have a very nice sprinkling but I don't know if it will ever overtake my whole head. :(

restourceful, I'm in love with your long silvers too! Just gorgeous!

RadiantNeedle
January 12th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I think I'm likely to go white rather than grey... I have these amazingly shiny, bright silver-white hairs and I squee whenever I spot them ^-^

milagro
January 13th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I envy beautiful silver but I hate my own greys. They just don't look good in my hair color.
I wish I had sucj lovely silver streaks as so many of you!

silversnow
January 13th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I have had silver envy for years, ever since I saw a woman at a renaissance festival with long silver hair. I decided to try to dye mine silver, but started with only my bangs, in case of severe damage...glad I did, it's a very damaging process.

Imagine my glee when my first silver hairs starting appearing a few years ago! So far, it's only at about 10% (probably overestimating it a bit). I'm hoping I won't end up salt and pepper. The only relatives I can compare with were my great-grandmother (she went white, not sure what age) and a cousin who went completely grey in his early 20's.

And a couple of months ago, I spotted my first white eyebrow hair. Now I have about three of those. My husband finds it amusing that I'm so excited about going silver/white, lol.

mellie
January 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM
How did I miss this thread? :D You can see by my custom user title that I love silvers!

I can't wait for my hair to be all silver!!! :cheer: My mom was all silver by age 50, so I have about 10 years to go, if my hair is like hers. I only have a very small percentage of silvers right now, so I don't know, I might have my dad's hair instead. But I still welcome them with open arms!! I think they are so shiny and pretty and flattering!

Chibbylick
January 13th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I totally have silver hair envy, I have a few, but I can't wait for more!

Rini
January 13th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I don't have silver envy...because I have plenty of silver hair :D

I DO love reading this thread though....:inlove:

Yavene
January 13th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I don't have any silvers or whites yet, but when they come I'm not going to hide them. I have no desire to be anything else than my natural color :)

restourceful
January 13th, 2011, 06:52 AM
restourceful, I'm in love with your long silvers too! Just gorgeous!

*blushes furiously and scrapes toe around on the floor* Aww, thank you, Aurantia!!!

2vette2camaro
January 13th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE gray/silver hair! I have been wanting to dye my hair gray/silver for a long time and have been unable to find any color that will do that. I just ordered Pravana silver and can't WAIT to dye it. I don't think anyone in my family goes gray naturally but I had an aunt who had white blond hair and I LOVED it.

Xandergrammy
January 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I am completely and utterly in love with my long silver hair. :inlove:

As well you should be, restourceful! I hope mine ends up similarly colored!! :inlove:

MAO
January 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I envy those ladies that get their silvers in streaks, like natural highlights. I have two greys right next to each RIGHT THERE where I part my hair.
I have like 5 boxes of dye under my sink and am having an internal battle with myself about whether to dye or not. I have about 2 inches of roots showing right now. I don't really want to look older, but I am kinda stoked that I might be growing a streak. :D

PiroskaCicu
January 13th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I love silver grey hair. It is so beautiful and valuable. It shows the experience and wisdom of age as QueenAnne'sLace mentioned.

I actually cannot wait to experience my silver hair, even though I'm 18 :)

Intransigentia
January 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM
omg people, I've started taking the bus to work, and there's a lady who's always aboard in the morning with thick, sleek, bright white-platinum, BSL hair. One of these days I'm going to have to tell her how gorgeous I think it is.