PDA

View Full Version : I need help w/ haircut/ style

marikamt
September 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
This is an offshoot from all the threads talking about people cutting their hair..... I have been thinking about getting a cut for a few weeks now..... I got a micro trim and bangs/ fringe, but it wasn't enough to make me feel great about my hair.....
Here is my dilemma...
Luckily my hair is very, very healthy (thank you LHC) according to the girl who trimmed it... I don't think I want to relayer, although I am growing some out... I do want to thicken up my hemline (finishing growing out the layers will help), soft U is okay by me...
I LOVE the way my hair looks from the back, and I love the length....
I HATE the way it looks in front...... I am considering face framing layers..... I cut the fringe since I have a very high forehead, that did help, but I have an oblong face and I think it is dragging my face down in the front and I feel like I am lacking "style" in the front.....
I had a style pictured in my head, but it is for very, very straight hair (which I thought I had) and my hair now has some waves.......

Any thoughts/ ideas? I do have to wear my hair up for work, but I do enjoy wearing down the rest of the time (except cleaning/ exercising, etc)

misstwist
September 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Are you wanting to change the way it looks around the face when it is up or when it is down or both?

marikamt
September 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Are you wanting to change the way it looks around the face when it is up or when it is down or both?

Well, I have to wear it up for work, but am willing to pin or use a head band if I have to. I would prefer the change to be primarily for when it is down (but both is okay too). Up at work is not even "required" , I just do so for sanitary reasons (bodily fluids, etc)... they are okay w/ half-ups..... I personally bun or ponytail.
I am scared because I don't want to do something that messes up all the growth, but at the same time am not happy at all w/ the front for a while....... but I want "long" hair.....

bushytailed
September 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM
There's this lady, who works at my sons school. She always had shoulder length hair, from as far back as I could remember. It was very pretty, wavy, blonde hair and I always liked how shiny it looked. Then one day, I picked my kids up from school and she had a new hair style. It was cut much shorter and her face just lit up. She literally went from being pretty, to stunningly beautiful.

I almost didn't recognize her. And everyone was marveling about how lovely she looked. She looked lovely before too; but there was just something about the hair being shorter around her face that opened it right up and completely changed her look.

I seen her the other day, she is still lovely, and still has her shorter hairstyle.

Have you tried photoshopping yourself with shorter hair in front/sides?

I know that I would look prettier with my hair layered or cut a bit around my face to frame it; but I'm very afraid to let someone cut my hair. I don't want them thinking they can just do whatever they want; because sometimes they do.

marikamt
September 24th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I have grown to BSL (I am barely past right now) quite a few times.... I have been as short as pixie but wore a very angular bob for a long time .... my bob was when I got the most hair compliments... I just really want long hair. This is the longest my hair has been since childhood, I really, really want to get to waist (about 4 more inches)... I just want the front to be more flattering/ fashionable......
I have strong, european features... "exotic" is how most people describe my face..... I feel like my hair in the front (right now) is girl-next-door and I do NOT have girl-next-door features... I have very pronounced and high cheekbones, and a "grecian" nose...... (not huge or hook, but not button either).....
I really don't want to cut it all off, I want a happy medium.....

JamieRose
September 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I have face framing layers and like them well enough. They're easy to pin back, but I can still wear them down out of my up dos. (And I work out a lot, so this is a big deal for me-hair in my face is a huge nono) You could also consider very long, side swept bangs... those tend to look good on almost everyone.

misstwist
September 24th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure if you mean your face is oval or long when you say it is oblong. Either way, face framing layers should work.

If you want to have a hairdresser blend your bangs to face framing layers then spend some time collecting pictures, both what you like and what you don't like.

It you want to have a go at it yourself, here is a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20949) with instructions I wrote that likely will not work for you because you already have the bangs, but there is a link to a youtube video that might be helpful.

marikamt
September 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure if you mean your face is oval or long when you say it is oblong. Either way, face framing layers should work.

If you want to have a hairdresser blend your bangs to face framing layers then spend some time collecting pictures, both what you like and what you don't like.

It you want to have a go at it yourself, here is a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20949) with instructions I wrote that likely will not work for you because you already have the bangs, but there is a link to a youtube video that might be helpful.

well, based on info I googled, it is slightly different than oval in that it is slightly more narrow than a traditional oval...
I am thinking maybe shortest face framing layer about chin length? I don't wan to draw attention to my nose, cheeks would be okay...
Also, they do no "relayer" whole head when they do face framing, right?

ETA: I do trust myself to do DIY...... if would be devastated if I messed it up.....

misstwist
September 24th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Do I remember that you have a stylist you really trust?

She shouldn't have to do anything more than just section out the area that is to be trimmed. If she were to go sectioning out the rest of the hair to layer it be sure to speak up.

Maybe you could call and talk to her, tell her what you are thinking about and how would she do that? Or schedule a consult?

Or, take a whack at it yourself. That's what I'd do, but scissors hold no power over me. Bwa-ha-ha! (sorry, that was the beer talking) ;)

marikamt
September 24th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Do I remember that you have a stylist you really trust?

She shouldn't have to do anything more than just section out the area that is to be trimmed. If she were to go sectioning out the rest of the hair to layer it be sure to speak up.

Maybe you could call and talk to her, tell her what you are thinking about and how would she do that? Or schedule a consult?

Or, take a whack at it yourself. That's what I'd do, but scissors hold no power over me. Bwa-ha-ha! (sorry, that was the beer talking) ;)

:lol: am having a sudsy as we speak......

Also, I did just have a greta trim experience, but it was not someone I have gone to regularly (have gone to know one regularly).... I think I am going to do it though... am going to wait until Oct though for a little extra growth... as long as it is just the front, it can't mess things up too badly.....

heatherdazy
September 24th, 2009, 06:56 PM
If you do decide you want face framing layers, look at some pictures and decide what type. There are a lot of different kinds and you don't want to wind up with the stylist who just grabs a razor and slices from your chin on down.

You might consider cheekbone length bangs instead. They tuck behind your ear, can be parted to the side or down the center, and look adorable if you pull some of them back and leave some out as little wispies.

Shiva
September 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I've had my BSL to mid-waist layered with face-framing layers before and I really liked it. I do refer to it as the "rachel cut" from friends (eeek!).

I just tell them (my mom) to cut my bangs about chin length so I can still pull everything back if and when I need to (most the time I just pull the top back) and it grows in fairly decent, too, so I can maintain it or just let it grow back. Whatever you do don't have the back layered (well, I wouldn't).

The only thing is before you do this be sure you know what you want and communicate clearly what you want.

One thing I have noticed when getting layered cuts and I don't know if it's just me, but my hair kind've gets stunned and it all falls back in place after about a week.. kind of like transplanting a spider plant... it takes a few days to snap back. Not to hijack your thread, but I am wondering if anybody knows what I'm talking about.

ericthegreat
September 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Since you mentioned that you also like to wear your hair up often, I would definitely advise you to NOT get any layers or graduations in the back or the length of your hair. Layers in the back would only serve to cause you more frustration as you'll get a ton of shorter lengths and they will pop out of any updo style you attempt.

I agree with the face framing layers idea. Start them at your chin, and then have the stylist slide the scissor in a gradual, C-shape all the way from your chin down to the length of your hair.