PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused.. is protein good or bad?

ambychelle
September 24th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Is there an article about this already? My search skills are pretty sad apparently :)

yellowchariot
September 24th, 2009, 12:33 PM
protein is always good! It's the basic foundation for life in general.
In fact I try to take in at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight! :thumbsup:

BTW: Water is also great for everything, as well. Drink plenty of it!

shadowclaw
September 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I assume you mean putting protein on your hair... the general consensus is that it all depends on what your hair likes. You can over-protein your hair as well, and in that case, you should clarify.

Anje
September 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
It's more complicated than that -- it really depends on your hair. Some hair NEEDS protein to help it hold moisture and to keep it from getting weak, stretchy, mushy, and breaking. Other people find that protein makes their hair feel stiff, dry, grabby, crunchy, and otherwise like it's going to climb off their head and walk away.

One thing is true for most people: a protein treatment on its own tends to make the hair feel dry, so it really should be followed by something moisturizing, unless the hair gets overmoisturized (yeah, it does happen, but not as often). For people whose hair likes protein, though, it tends to hold moisture better after protein treatments.

Anje
September 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
protein is always good! It's the basic foundation for life in general.
Prions are bad! We don't like prions, and they're protein!

Anyway, I'll return you to your thread.

Shermie Girl
September 24th, 2009, 01:19 PM
It's more complicated than that -- it really depends on your hair. Some hair NEEDS protein to help it hold moisture and to keep it from getting weak, stretchy, mushy, and breaking. Other people find that protein makes their hair feel stiff, dry, grabby, crunchy, and otherwise like it's going to climb off their head and walk away.

One thing is true for most people: a protein treatment on its own tends to make the hair feel dry, so it really should be followed by something moisturizing, unless the hair gets overmoisturized (yeah, it does happen, but not as often). For people whose hair likes protein, though, it tends to hold moisture better after protein treatments.

Word. :D

My hair is a protein hog. Always has been. No matter it's length or condition my hair craves and demands protein. I buy products that contain protein and use them routinely. I also give my hair extra deep protein treatments now and then in the form of K-Pak or a similar product.

Protein isn't "good" or "bad". Just like cones aren't "good" or "bad". It is all about what works for your hair. My hair demands protein, loves cones and oil but will freak out and run screaming into the night if I even walk past a bottle of apple cider vinegar in the supermarket. And ACV is the tried and true beauty enhancer for all time for many beautiful haired members, here. It's all about what your hair likes and needs. :D

Longlocks3
September 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I have relatively undamaged hair, never colored, never permed, nothing. My hair doesn't need protein and it only mildly minds if I use some. I use a protein conditioner maybe once every couple of weeks but I can't use it more.

I don't need it and my hair doesn't love it. I tried it for the first time very sparingly and when I wouldn't mind if my hair looked a bit crazy!

Fractalsofhair
September 24th, 2009, 04:30 PM
My hair does like protein, but it is also porous. It liked it more when I dyed it.

krissykins
September 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM
It really does depend on what works for your hair. I used to heat style a lot, so my hair craves protein every few weeks. But always use something moisturizing afterwards!

yellowchariot
September 24th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I assume you mean putting protein on your hair... the general consensus is that it all depends on what your hair likes. You can over-protein your hair as well, and in that case, you should clarify.

Prions are bad! We don't like prions, and they're protein!

Anyway, I'll return you to your thread.

Word. :D

My hair is a protein hog. Always has been. No matter it's length or condition my hair craves and demands protein. I buy products that contain protein and use them routinely. I also give my hair extra deep protein treatments now and then in the form of K-Pak or a similar product.

Protein isn't "good" or "bad". Just like cones aren't "good" or "bad". It is all about what works for your hair. My hair demands protein, loves cones and oil but will freak out and run screaming into the night if I even walk past a bottle of apple cider vinegar in the supermarket. And ACV is the tried and true beauty enhancer for all time for many beautiful haired members, here. It's all about what your hair likes and needs. :D

I have relatively undamaged hair, never colored, never permed, nothing. My hair doesn't need protein and it only mildly minds if I use some. I use a protein conditioner maybe once every couple of weeks but I can't use it more.

I don't need it and my hair doesn't love it. I tried it for the first time very sparingly and when I wouldn't mind if my hair looked a bit crazy!

My hair does like protein, but it is also porous. It liked it more when I dyed it.

It really does depend on what works for your hair. I used to heat style a lot, so my hair craves protein every few weeks. But always use something moisturizing afterwards!

Sooo. . . protien as in a product you put in your hair. . . rather than chicken, steak, and meats that you eat for health. . . ??? :hmm: :doh::o :run:

Anje
September 24th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Well, there's protein in everything alive... it's a basic building block for life, as you said. Hair is also made of protein, specifically one called keratin.

You need protein in your diet to supply your body with amino acids that it uses to make its own proteins. (Humans don't make all the amino acids we need from scratch -- we're auxotrophs and need to get some from food.) So that chicken, steak, beans & rice, soy, and all the other good stuff is important to keep you alive and to make hair.

However, hair that's grown from your head isn't alive, it's just large amounts of keratin, and some of this comes off due to chemicals and wear and tear. Moreover, not everyone puts down the keratin in the same pattern to make hair, so some people have hair that's more porus that other folks' hair. Small amounts of fractured proteins from various sources can actually be applied to the hair, and it bandages up the weak places a bit. It's pretty common to see "hydrolyzed wheat protein" or "soy amino acids" or "silk peptides" or maybe "autolyzed yeast extract" (maybe not... I'm just coming up with these off the top of my head) mixed in the ingredients of lots of conditioners.

Some people's hair loves the stuff. That's more likely to be true of people who lighten their hair, perm/relax it, dye it, or use heat appliances, though it's not a hard-and-fast rule. It eventually builds up on mine and makes it feel tacky and grabby though, and the best solution I found to fix that was nightly SMTs. Experimentation is what you need.

yellowchariot
September 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Well, there's protein in everything alive... it's a basic building block for life, as you said. Hair is also made of protein, specifically one called keratin.

You need protein in your diet to supply your body with amino acids that it uses to make its own proteins. (Humans don't make all the amino acids we need from scratch -- we're auxotrophs and need to get some from food.) So that chicken, steak, beans & rice, soy, and all the other good stuff is important to keep you alive and to make hair.

However, hair that's grown from your head isn't alive, it's just large amounts of keratin, and some of this comes off due to chemicals and wear and tear. Moreover, not everyone puts down the keratin in the same pattern to make hair, so some people have hair that's more porus that other folks' hair. Small amounts of fractured proteins from various sources can actually be applied to the hair, and it bandages up the weak places a bit. It's pretty common to see "hydrolyzed wheat protein" or "soy amino acids" or "silk peptides" or maybe "autolyzed yeast extract" (maybe not... I'm just coming up with these off the top of my head) mixed in the ingredients of lots of conditioners.

Some people's hair loves the stuff. That's more likely to be true of people who lighten their hair, perm/relax it, dye it, or use heat appliances, though it's not a hard-and-fast rule. It eventually builds up on mine and makes it feel tacky and grabby though, and the best solution I found to fix that was nightly SMTs. Experimentation is what you need.

^ Thanks for clearing that up! I was just gonna recommend that the OP go to a local GNC store and load up on protein/amino acid shakes! :D :cheese:

*sorry for the "male" logic* LOL :o

krissykins
September 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Sooo. . . protien as in a product you put in your hair. . . rather than chicken, steak, and meats that you eat for health. . . ??? :hmm: :doh::o :run:

That's what I was going for. Protein in your diet is essential :P

clairenewcastle
September 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks Ambychelle for starting this thread!
I'm new to the LHC and am unsure about what form of protein people generally put on their hair.
How do you know if you've over-proteined your hair?
Can anyone help with the basics?

Anje
September 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
How do you know if you've over-proteined your hair?
Can anyone help with the basics?
This should help. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) You can get protein packs at beauty supply places like Sally. Asking at a salon or a friend with relaxed hair might also help.

ericthegreat
September 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
I'm with yellowchariot. I LOVE protein.....steak, eggs, lean red meats, chicken, turkey, fish, and throw in green leafy veggies and broccoli and cauliflower protein feeds my body and of course my hair.

To answer ambychelle's question, it all depends on your individual hair's needs. Even two people with the same hairtype can have different hair needs. Our individual hair needs have to do with our hair history and everything we've done in our lives (staying in the sun, swimming, coloring, straightening, perming, heat styling and all that) are all contributing factors.

Certain hair types need extra protein. Especially if you've frequently uses chemicals to either color or straighten or perm your hair, these chemicals need to break down the bonds in your hair in order to penetrate into your hair. This kind of hair needs extra protein to replace the proteins that were lost in the chemical process.

Personally, my own hair loves protein. I have very coarse, thick hair that would naturally dry out without an extra helping of protein. I frequently use coconut milk and now recently I've been using Ojon nut oil as a pre-shampoo deep treatment. These treatments have tons of proteins in them, and after I do them my hair always feels stronger and shinier.

clairenewcastle
September 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM
This should help. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) Is

This HAS helped. Thanks very much Anje, bought a cone-free treatment mask thinking "moisture" but I think after reading your (very informative) article it's a protein mask that I'm using. Would explain why, despite being heavy duty and feeling soft on my hair, 24 hours later my hair's dryer than ever.
I beginning to think my hair rejects protein. I use Faith In Nature poo and con usually and my hair loves them despite the fact they have very few ingredients.
Less is obviously more.
Thanks for answering so quickly. I'll keep an eye out for more of your articles.

ambychelle
September 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
ah! fantastic info!

So, I had highlights put in my hair one time years ago and when the stylist was rinsing, she seemed to get a little worried and recommended a conditioning treatment to to repair/strengthen my hair. It was like $12 and she just put it in like conditioner and rinsed it out a few minutes later. Was that probably a protein treatment?

ericthegreat
September 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'm certain it did contain protein ambychelle. The key words are repair and strengthen. Proteins and or amino acids are exactly what you need to replenish in your hair when you've had your hair colored. Bleaching definitely damages the structure of your hair and wears away at the natural cuticles that cover and protect the surface of your hair. So adding back some protein into your hair helps to fill in the weak spots that have developed as a result of the bleaching.

Shermie Girl
September 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
ah! fantastic info!

So, I had highlights put in my hair one time years ago and when the stylist was rinsing, she seemed to get a little worried and recommended a conditioning treatment to to repair/strengthen my hair. It was like $12 and she just put it in like conditioner and rinsed it out a few minutes later. Was that probably a protein treatment?

Most likely. Probably both protein and moisture, since they do well hand in hand. It may have also contained a good dose of silicone, to help the hair feel smoother and more silky and add some shine. Protein helps to fill in areas of damage on the hair shaft, making the hair look and feel better. However, no product can repair your hair. Once hair is damaged, it is damaged until it is cut or falls out. :)

QueenAnne'sLace
September 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I frequently use coconut milk and now recently I've been using Ojon nut oil as a pre-shampoo deep treatment. These treatments have tons of proteins in them, and after I do them my hair always feels stronger and shinier.

Good idea with the coconut milk. For us vegetarians and vegans, we have to get a bit more creative with our proteins:cheese:.

QueenAnne'sLace
September 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM

Gotta love those train-of-thought emoticons!

ericthegreat
September 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Good idea with the coconut milk. For us vegetarians and vegans, we have to get a bit more creative with our proteins:cheese:.

Well, as you can tell from what I eat I'm definitely not a vegetarian by any stretch of the word. But I definitely respect anyone who is one, its great that you guys care about treating all beings humanely.
Just make sure that you guys still get all your protein, iron and other nutritional needs I know its not easy!

redcelticcurls
September 25th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Protein is neither good nor bad. It just depends on what hair needs.

In general, fine hair can take more protein than coarse hair, which naturally has a thicker protein portion. But, some vary from this.

Porous hair also tend to need more protein than non-porous hair. But, again, individuals can vary.

My hair HAAAAATES all protein except for keratin. I've been coloring my hair fo 15 years, and logic would dictate that my hair should drink up any and all protein. But, my hair is fairly coarse for a Caucasian, and it is picky about getting too much protein.

There are ways to check your individual hair to asses its protein needs since they can change with the seasons (I'm pretty protein free in the winter and like it in the summer) change in products, changes in styling, and just random mysterious hair changes in general.

Here is a blog post of mine (http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/) where I talk about protein/moisture assessment on ones own hair, and there is a link there to a very good test explanation site. There are also pics that show what over-and under-proteined hair looks like.

Runzel
September 25th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I tried protien on my hair just a few days ago to see if it liked it or not. I had some silk protien, and I just mixed some in with my conditioner, applied the conditioner, and rinsed it out.

The results were very obvious....my usual curls became so limp they straightened and my hair became like cotton candy, all floofy and bordering on sticky! :scared:

I got the message. :p No protien for me!

deko
September 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I use henna and my hair hates protein.

I used to color my hair monthly and I could use protein masks every week without any bad reactions, but when I started to color my hair with henna I could not use any protein treatments anymore.

Elvi
September 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I am sceptical about those protein shampoos and conditioners. As to hair, there are living cells only in the hair root!