PDA

View Full Version : Newbie growing out with questions

Hierophant
September 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I am a newbie here and have been reading threads for over a week now. I have put many hours into reading, but still have a few questions I thought I would ask the knowledgable bunch here.

I have 2a/F/ii typ hair, and have started from a very short haircut (less than one inch). I have gone about 3 months since my last trim and have no intentions of trimming anytime less than a year out. I would like to go many years with no trim.

My questions are:
(1) How long can I go without a trim before split ends start becoming an issue? I plan to use the S&D method, but that will be hard until it gets some good length on it (which will take a couple years from where I am)...
(2) Does the fine hair type get less split ends than the coarse hair type? My hair shaft is so small, I can't see where it could even split (I have baby-fine hair)
(3) Are their any habits I can start now to ensure I keep my hair healthy enough to reach long lengths? See below for my current habits:

-I do not use a blow dryer, irons, etc
-I do not use gel/hair spray, etc
-I only use an Ox Horn comb and Boars Bristle Brush
-I use Jason's brand shampoo and conditioner (no Sodion Laurel/Laureth Sulphate) every other day (twice a week I use Nizoral)
-I am currently experimenting with Monistat trying to booth my growth rate

Thoughts?

Thanks!

RancheroTheBee
September 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
My questions are:
(1) How long can I go without a trim before split ends start becoming an issue? I plan to use the S&D method, but that will be hard until it gets some good length on it (which will take a couple years from where I am)...

I usually go about three to four months between trims. In that time, I usually accumulate anywhere from 5 to 15 split ends. The reason I trim is to clean up the ends or get rid of past damage. Basically, you can go as long as you personally feel comfortable before you trim again (although, you may want to trim out the inevitable mullet you'll develop in the back.) I doubt you've been abusing your hair at that length, so you can probably go a year or more without doing any trims.

(2) Does the fine hair type get less split ends than the coarse hair type? My hair shaft is so small, I can't see where it could even split (I have baby-fine hair)

I think fine hair is actually more prone to splits, being smaller and more delicate. Coarse hair is prone to dryness, but it tends to be a little more sturdy. Or that's how I understand it.

(3) Are their any habits I can start now to ensure I keep my hair healthy enough to reach long lengths?

It sounds like you're doing a lot already. You might want to look into getting a silk pillowcase or sleep cap (sleeping can be damaging too! Hurray!) and maybe research vitamins. Otherwise, you're doing good.

Welcome, and good luck!

Hierophant
September 24th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I did not realize fine hair was more prone to split ends. Bummer!

I am hoping to go years without a formal trim, and just do the S&D method. My problem is my hair is so short it will be a couple years before the hair is long enough to do this myself.

I forgot to add that I am taking GNC Nourish Hair vitamin twice per day, and a MSM suppliment once per day.

wissles
September 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Welcome! :)

(1) I believe it's very individual. My hair is really strong so I can go long without trimming, sometimes I have to trim split ends but then I only trim them, not the entire hair. A tip for the S&D is to use a mirror, preferably with zoom (.. bad explanation but I hope you get it, a mirror that makes the "picture" bigger) and sit by a window to get good light. It works for me.

(2) I don't know, not necessarily. My friend has very fine hair and she has never had one single split end.

(3) In the beginning, when I recently had cut my hair short I was treating it like a baby, haha! But after a while it seemed... exaggerated and now I even use heat tools and I don't do deep treatments that often and it's still pretty much as healthy as it would be if I didn't. BUT everyone can't do this, some people have more sensitive hair and everything you're doing is great and I can't really come up with anything... maybe hair massages, that's great and increases the blood circulation which allows the hair to maybe grow a bit faster.

Hierophant
September 24th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the advice. I know exactly what you mean by the zoom mirror. I will definitely pick one of those up once I am at the stage to S&D.

I have been doing scalp massages when I apply the monistat every other day. No idea if it will increase my growth rate yet, but I will measure again when I have been doing it a month. I normally grow just over 1/4" per month, so I am hoping to get a boost to at least normal 1/2" growth rate. The more the better... Hopefully, the scalp massages, monistat, vitamins, and MSM suppliment will help.

heatherdazy
September 26th, 2009, 12:16 AM
#1 varies a lot from person to person, as has already been noted. I have some clients who have raggedy ends every 4 weeks and some that come in just twice a year but they hardly need to. I generally advise those growing out their hair to dust the ends every 12 weeks at first then decide if they want to adjust. That said, if it's still very short, you may be able to get away with waiting longer because your shorter, younger hair is not as fragile as longer, older hair.

#2 nope! Think of hiking through a brush-filled jungle in a tough pair of jeans vs light cotton pajama pants.

#3 Looks like a good basic routine to me. Other ideas might include generally being gentle with your hair (no screwing it up on your head when you shampoo or rubbing it with the towel), covering your head if you're going to be in the sun for a prolonged period of time, eating a healthy balanced diet with plenty of whole foods, etc.

Leoneska
September 26th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Welcome (-:
I just like to add that you should be careful with your bristle brush. Do no use it when there are still tangles in your hair, it can be really damaging. It is good for oil distribution though.
Enjoy growing!

julliams
September 26th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Sorry to be clueless but what's S & D???

Elvi
September 26th, 2009, 05:05 AM
To my knowledge S&D means in the Long Hair Community a way to treat the split hair ends. When you have just nothing to do, you can sit and look at your your hair ends against light and cut them or something like that.

My rougher "search and destroy" has been just to feel the ends when smoothing the ends with my fingers and snip a little with small scissors the roughest spots..

But I wonder if washing the hair as often as every second day with shampoo of any kind is good for them. When my own hair is longer now, it stays good looking with fewer washes than it did when it was short.

julliams
September 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Ahh - ok, I used to do this when I was younger and bored. Didn't know it had a term - lol

Thanks,
Juliette

hmmm
September 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I think there's an article about an S&D method someone uses, I'll link to it if I find it. Elvi is right, it does stand for 'Search and Destroy', but I think the method is twisting a few strands in light so that the split ends are more visible to the light - because they stick out of the 'twist' - and cutting them off.

(1) How long can I go without a trim before split ends start becoming an issue?
I'm growing my hair out from a very short cut too, right now it barely brushes my neck at the back, although it's about six or seven inches long over the top of the head.
The longest I've ever grown my hair is just below neck length, and it's only after it reaches that length that it starts feeling dry at the ends. I usually go for a small (or large) trim then, because I don't like the feel of them, even if there's no damage.

(2) Does the fine hair type get less split ends than the coarse hair type?
No, fine hair can be stronger than less well-cared for coarse hair. Breakage and damage depends on how strong the hair is, which depends on how you take care of it.

(3) Are their any habits I can start now to ensure I keep my hair healthy enough to reach long lengths?
I always make it a point to eat healthy food. Ensure you get enough protein (very important for growing hair, skin, muscles, nails, and all that), and vitamins. Anemia and iron deficiencies can show on your hair. I've noticed that ever since I've started eating better my hair is much more balanced and better looking. Cut down on excessively sugary, fatty, cholestroley foods and so on. (I eat a little chocolate every day because I can't do without it, but I eat other food in greater proportions.)
You sound like you already treat your hair quite well, so you should be fine. Remember to be gentle with it when you comb/brush/style it, being careless can cause breakage also. Put it up or out of the way when you're in a convertible or something, you know, that sort of thing. Those are obvious things, you'll get them through experience.
I've found that my hair reacts very well to herbal treatments and henna, so I do those whenever I can. Henna is supposed to strengthen the hair, and cassia I think has the same properties minus the dye.
Scalp massages also help with growth, in my experience.

Good luck and welcome to LHC!

hmmm
September 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
About the washing, short hair can get dirty faster than long hair, because it's harder to keep out of the way. If I'm out for long periods of time over two days then I'd need to wash it because it would be greasy and usually the scalp also gets itchy - I think it's something to do with the insane heat.
But I don't wash it more than once every five or so days on an average. Maybe you could stretch them out too? My scalp and hair feel a lot better if I let the scalp oils do their job for a while. I like it because it lets me be lazy :D.

OhioLisa
September 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM
1. There are only 2 good reasons for trims. First, to get rid of damage, and second, to even up the hemline. Many of us do not trim at all.

2. I think fine hair is more prone to splits and breakage, which is why it requires gentler handling.

3. The only thing not mentioned already is to pay attention to how your hair responds. If you need to wash more often, do so. Many people who give the advice about stretching washings are often of a different hair and skin type as you. If you have oilier skin and finer hair, you're going to need to wash more than others on this board. I have tried NUMEROUS times to stretch out washings and only end up looking like an oil slick. And guess what, I'm not going to walk around looking like that just because I am not "supposed" to wash often. My point? Do what works for YOUR hair rather than focusing on what you "SHOULD" do.